Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Dick Nipples posted:

I don't know poo poo about graduate degrees but it was my understanding that if you're an interesting grad candidate for a PhD, in general the department will fund it?

I did read a sad story of some journalist(?) dude that didn't get funding for his PhD and chose to press on. I can't find the article but it was fraught with all sorts of BWM. I will hunt for it.

EDIT: Couldn't find aforementioned article but ran across this: https://theprofessorisin.com/2014/01/22/the-shame-of-ph-d-debt/

I guess PhD debt is more common than I realised. drat.
Paying for a PhD is almost always a terrible, terrible financial choice, yes. Top programs even in history will absolutely fund your PhD, though if you have a big family or such you might need to borrow for those higher expenses because the funding can be low even for a single person. The opportunity cost of those years makes it very iffy financially even when getting paid.

Lower tier programs will charge huge amounts for very little return. Considering that even the tip top programs have terrible placement rates for academic jobs, it's incredibly predatory. That's not information that these places will tell applicants, of course, and it's not information someone with dreams in their eyes will accept easily. Given how many people are getting ripped off this way, it's easy to find others doing the same and normalize it.

Master's programs usually do charge and are a money making enterprise for the department. The value proposition there varies wildly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

curufinor posted:

hosed up attitudes towards food in silicon valley:

My first year at Stanford i watched 4 separate dudes eat their first orange

All of them upper middle class like nearly everyone else, they were just hosed up enough so that they'd never eaten an orange

So i forced them to

I was not surprised at all by soylent

How are they going to avoid scurvy on long sea voyages?

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

canyoneer posted:

Fresh potato fries have barely enough vitamin c

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Dick Nipples posted:

I don't know poo poo about graduate degrees but it was my understanding that if you're an interesting grad candidate for a PhD, in general the department will fund it?

I did read a sad story of some journalist(?) dude that didn't get funding for his PhD and chose to press on. I can't find the article but it was fraught with all sorts of BWM. I will hunt for it.

EDIT: Couldn't find aforementioned article but ran across this: https://theprofessorisin.com/2014/01/22/the-shame-of-ph-d-debt/

I guess PhD debt is more common than I realised. drat.

Any decent school will fund you but there's unfunded phd programs out there, which shouldn't be touched with a ten foot pole.

e: grammar

Pekinduck fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 4, 2017

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Lots of people start down the graduate degree path not knowing what it is they want to do or else hell-bent on becoming a professor and becoming an academic. The former group tend to accumulate debt until they realize they're aimless and then either drop out, figure their poo poo out, or have a mental breakdown. The latter group continues to throw good money after bad chasing after their dream, regardless of their talent, grades, or prospects of employment.

Both are idiots, because in most cases you shouldn't pay for a graduate degree. Either you're talented enough the university will throw money at you, or it's a field that has sufficient funding to support grad students studying it, including working as a TA for the subject.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

canyoneer posted:

I went to a very small liberal arts college on the east coast, and we had at least one case of scurvy diagnosed while I was there.

I've always assumed it happens all the time at universities, but just doesn't get reported.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

curufinor posted:

hosed up attitudes towards food in silicon valley:

My first year at Stanford i watched 4 separate dudes eat their first orange

All of them upper middle class like nearly everyone else, they were just hosed up enough so that they'd never eaten an orange

So i forced them to

I was not surprised at all by soylent

I'm a bit confused by this. Do rich people not eat oranges?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

sparkmaster posted:

It's more a 'nerd parents have nerd kids' issue, I'm guessing.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sparkmaster posted:

The ultimate "how much of a rich gently caress are you" test is to point to a full garbage can and ask that they take care of it

Rich people have never done this before and will probably consult Google for directions

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

College cafeterias enable idiot children to eat like idiot children. This is not a new phenomenon.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I went to a very small liberal arts college on the east coast, and we had at least one case of scurvy diagnosed while I was there.

I've always assumed it happens all the time at universities, but just doesn't get reported.

An all-ramen diet is bad for so many reasons, scurvy and sodium being two of the most obvious ones. A friend of mine said he started losing hair in college from the malnutrition, which was his warning sign to eat more varied foods.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

EugeneJ posted:

The ultimate "how much of a rich gently caress are you" test is to point to a full garbage can and ask that they take care of it

Rich people have never done this before and will probably consult Google for directions

Throw it on the neighbour's lawn?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The hosed up part is that you really don't need much vitamin C to avoid scurvy. Just getting a couple packets' worth of ketchup staves it off.

Content:

Advice on house hacking and/or getting into the rental business for passive income.
Actual post is boring, but "house hacking"? Seriously?

Parents bought a timeshare but were lied to about the terms. Please help me help them!

quote:

I desperately need help for my folks. My parents are in their late 50s and like vacationing. They bought a timeshare about 10 years ago that they love and enjoy using. Personally, I don't think it is a great deal but that isn't even the issue here.

Last year in October they went to Puerto Vallarta and went to a timeshare presentation. These people told them that this new timeshare company would sell their old timeshare and use the proceeds to pay for the new timeshare. There are a few reasons why they liked this new company - supposedly no monthly fees.

The deal was pay $15,000 for the new contract. They sell the old timeshare for $60,000. My parents get $45,000 in a wire transfer back.

Well my parents paid on the spot with their credit card and were waiting for the "sale" to go through. After a few calls they find out from the timeshare HQ that the company is not selling their timeshare and now my parents own two. It is officially six months since the paperwork was signed.

When they first told me about this "deal" I already knew they got duped but was hoping I was being my usual risk adverse rear end in a top hat self. My dad was laid off the year prior and was even unemployed when they did this... They keep calling and e-mailing but no one is responding now. I've asked my dad to send the contract to me. They do have these extra "terms" in writing from the sales people.

Do they have any recourse? Is there any way that they can get their money back? At least get out of the contract?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Timeshares: Not even once.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Academician Nomad posted:

Paying for a PhD is almost always a terrible, terrible financial choice, yes. Top programs even in history will absolutely fund your PhD, though if you have a big family or such you might need to borrow for those higher expenses because the funding can be low even for a single person. The opportunity cost of those years makes it very iffy financially even when getting paid.

Lower tier programs will charge huge amounts for very little return. Considering that even the tip top programs have terrible placement rates for academic jobs, it's incredibly predatory. That's not information that these places will tell applicants, of course, and it's not information someone with dreams in their eyes will accept easily. Given how many people are getting ripped off this way, it's easy to find others doing the same and normalize it.

Master's programs usually do charge and are a money making enterprise for the department. The value proposition there varies wildly.

Funding is limited, and if teaching assistant positions are filled, and no professors are looking for research assistants, you can easily go for a quarter or two without funding from the department. When I was an EE phd student, I was lucky to have found a teaching assistant position in the physics department (because I had a BS in physics), but being an international student, that stipend was not enough to cover tuition at UCSB. So I had to take out a student loan, which I was able to pay off less than two years after graduating. I found a research assistant position after the first two quarters.

Funny financial short stories from grad school:
- I got admitted to grad school (unfunded) under the provision that I show them that I have the fund to pay for it. I apply for the student loan and get told that they can't approve it until I get admitted to the school. Circular logic ahoy.
- An acquaintance, who was 6 months away from graduating, just flat out left.
- Another student also left 6 months away from graduating, to work at a local animal shelter.
- A closer friend, who lied about the death of her father so she could have some extra time to pay her tuition. After getting her masters, she got a job she didn't want to talk about. So one of her friends followed her one morning to find out that they did not have an actual job, she just sat in a lobby.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Krispy Kareem posted:

There have been studies that break down not being poor to 3 or 4 factors. Finish high school, don't do drugs, and wait until marriage for kids (or stay married if you have kids). You manage all three of those and your likelihood of poverty is exponentially less. I don't know if this lady finished high school, but she failed on at least two out of three.

And before this becomes a debate about personal responsibility versus institutional poverty - government programs that encourage kids not to drop out, get pregnant, and do dope are also more effective in reducing poverty.

I would like to see those studies. (not doubting you, but I'm curious)

Also, I know that that DARE has been a pretty dramatically visible policy failure that was obvious on the ground the entire time the program ran, so I'm skeptical of the policy efficacy claim.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 4, 2017

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

El Mero Mero posted:

I remember reading about that too. Not sure if it corrected for all other factors, but the conclusions did seem reasonable.

Of course, it doesn't really change people's minds. If you believe in personal responsibility, you will continue to after reading it. And if you didn't, not.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

theHUNGERian posted:

- A closer friend, who lied about the death of her father so she could have some extra time to pay her tuition. After getting her masters, she got a job she didn't want to talk about. So one of her friends followed her one morning to find out that they did not have an actual job, she just sat in a lobby.

As an Asian, is the most Asian thing in the world.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

El Mero Mero posted:

Also, I know that that DARE has been a pretty dramatically visible policy failure that was obvious on the ground the entire time the program ran, so I'm skeptical of the policy efficacy claim.

The Brookings institute has done multiple studies, so you can just Google them and poverty.

And DARE was just an excuse for police departments to get a Camaro or Hummer. Most of those anti-drug programs suck. I mean, Nancy Reagan came to my school and I'm still drug free and proud to be, but I don't think she was really responsible for that. It doesn't mean they shouldn't keep trying to make good policy, though.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when the DARE officer came to our school and asked us if we saw any recent anti-smoking PSA's on TV

We all lit up and cheerily talked about the commercials (this was one of them) and he had this sunken look on his face like "the commercials aren't scaring them and they're happy...uh oh"

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

As an Asian, is the most Asian thing in the world.

She was from India (Asian).

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Apparently the 15% tax on Chinese "foreign speculative buyers" in Vancouver didn't work and home prices are rising again: http://www.rebgv.org/sites/default/files/REBGV-Stats-Package-May-2017.pdf

It doesn't say if people are just paying the extra tax or Canadians themselves are loading themselves up with debt, but the debt situation is so bad that the IMF is giving out warnings.

If it is like every other real estate bubble out there, it's going to be ugly when it pops.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I loved when the DARE officer visited my fifth grade class and insisted the only definition of a gang was people out to commit crimes. At that age I pretty much only read Stephen King and Arthur Clarke so I tuned him out after that.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

"r/personal.finance posted:

About $80,000 student loan debt and $10,000 credit card debt between my husband and me. We make $75,000 a year between our two salaries. Should I go back to school for an additional degree? It won't result in much of a pay increase for me (about $2,000 more a year, maybe).

No.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

$2,000 more a year!?

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

LLCoolJD posted:

“It turns out when you put soup and grilled cheese together, it’s really wonderful,” Kaplan informed his audience, as if divulging a trade secret.

I've actually eaten at one of the Houston locations. It was pretty bad food to be honest. One of those weird 5Guys grilled cheese is like a hundred times better and a third of the price.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Pretty sure those five guys "grilled cheese" sandwiches are just like american on a bun which is a pretty tough bar to come under goddamn five guys is disgusting

Err wait is all fast food still american cheese I'm too out of touch

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Coca Koala posted:

You want bad with money? Here's bad with money.

https://backchannel.com/how-the-trendiest-grilled-cheese-venture-got-burnt-aa627b0c7ae1

In short: A tech bro genius who disrupted the camera industry decides that since he is so good at disrupting, he will disrupt the sandwich industry as well, refusing to be stopped by minor nitpicks like "there isn't really a sandwich industry to disrupt" and "do you know anything about sandwiches anyways"

Oh. Well, look, running a restaurant is hard, but lots of morons do it; if you have a bunch of VC money, you can probably coast for a long time on that. You'll have plenty of time to focus on the important things.

Oh.

#smashingthestate with grilled cheese.

I don't even want to quote the final paragraph. It's too perfect of a punchline for me to pull it out. But this story of a man wasting millions of dollars on a lovely restaurant because the concept of market research just BLOWS HIS MIND is a tale for the ages.

Nothing quite boils my blood these days than stories of people making over half a billion loving dollars and instead of putting it to good use or gently caress even just retiring happy forever on your own private island you instead are now so far up your own rear end that you need to ~change the world~ because you are some kind of sandwich god

e:

quote:

And internally, The Melt’s mission statement has changed. “The Melt was founded on the idea of ‘better food for our kids, and jobs creation,’” a publicist for The Melt wrote in an email.

ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkkkk yyyyyyyooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 5, 2017

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Pryor on Fire posted:

Pretty sure those five guys "grilled cheese" sandwiches are just like american on a bun which is a pretty tough bar to come under goddamn five guys is disgusting

Err wait is all fast food still american cheese I'm too out of touch

the cheese is not the secret
a five guys bun is cake minus 90% of the sugar

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

curufinor posted:

the cheese is not the secret
a five guys bun is cake minus 90% of the sugar

Soooo, bread?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i guess i just can't see the outage or BWM in this sandwich story, it's funny and the guy is obviously kind of nuts but thats pretty common with that crowd (like Steve jobs going with alternative medicine to treat his entirely curable cancer, whoops lol)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

He wasted a tens of millions in exuberant idiocy. Do you need a crayon drawing?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is this similar to that Tom+Chee restaurant that tries to make tomato soup and grilled cheese trendy?

I went there once, enjoyed my meal, and never wanted to go there ever again.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Doc Hawkins posted:

He wasted a tens of millions in exuberant idiocy. Do you need a crayon drawing?

where did it say that? i just saw he had investors, and the restaurants are doing fine now

wow, such bwm

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Soooo, bread?

Cake is 1 part egg 1 part milk 1 part butter 2 parts sugar 3 parts flour, leavened by baking powder

Normal burger buns are 1 part egg 1 part oil 4 parts water 12 parts flour, leavened with yeast

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zo posted:

where did it say that? i just saw he had investors, and the restaurants are doing fine now

wow, such bwm

quote:

The Melt has grown in fits and starts — launching, then dismantling, a fleet of food trucks, for example.

quote:

The new dishes attracted customers; adding meat entrées yielded an impressive “25 or 30 percent increase in sales overnight,” according to Bower. But the menu overhauls proved challenging. Introducing — then dismantling — a breakfast menu is more complex than, say, a software update. Ditto for burgers: As several ex-Melt employees told me, the push into meat required remodeling stores to accommodate new equipment, re-training crews to handle new processes, sourcing different ingredients, and, in some cases, closing and moving existing stores. (Some food courts have rules in place to ensure tenants do not compete in the range of foods they sell.)

Amid these changes, former employees describe growing pains. It was tough to retain talented workers, train them, and simultaneously keep customer service and satisfaction high. “We’re not making major changes like that anymore. But we had to redesign the kitchens, we had to get different equipment, so, yeah, lots of operating issues,” said Melt investor Michael Marks, a founding partner at the private equity firm Riverwood Capital. (“We haven’t had operational issues,” Kaplan told me, when asked about this period.)

Also he's a loving moron who didn't even think of basic things like "people usually don't have sandwiches for dinner":

quote:

To Kaplan, the public’s anemic appetite for grilled cheese at dinnertime was not a foreseeable issue. “No one had ever tried to open up grilled cheese restaurants across the country,” he told me.

Although that might be because he has the usual techbro problem of not relating to food like normal people do:

quote:

In short, like many entrepreneurs, Kaplan harnessed software and hardware to tackle the critical problem of his own satisfaction. “Today when I want my burrito to be fresh and hot, I have to go in and wait on a long line to get my hot fresh burrito,” he said at the All Things D conference. In Kaplan’s mind, that merited action: “We needed to reinvent the whole fast casual restaurant business.”

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
yeah, like i said, that's all funny, but it's just outside investment money and the stores seem to do fine now

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
He had to stand in a line. Being a tech bro, I do believe his outrage at standing in a line is genuine. The year 2017 and we haven't innovated out the line yet!?!?! He got mad at a Chipotle and decided to open a grilled cheese restaurant.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

quote:

I'm doing a big rear end party soon and was looking into 10-days-long Snapchat filters. I was hoping to get the Vicinity of my property (About 8k Sq. Ft) and pay $1,000+ for that Ten days. I select my property, fine, but then it says that the geofilter area has to be at least 20k Sq. Ft. "Ok, like every respectable business they are milking me, the client", so I select the entire street, which takes my 8k up to 20k on the dot.

Guess HOW loving MUCH they were asking from me? Just loving guess before you read the rest. 20k Square feet for 10 days, just loving guess.

$68. SIXTY-EIGHT-DALLAHS. What the gently caress is this poo poo. Might as well give it to me for free you morons.

I was WILLING to pay $1,000+ for 8k Sq. Ft. and they give me 20k Sq. Ft. for loving SIXTY EIGHT DOLLARS? What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Naturally, though, I look into a 'yearly package' that they have. I would have the filter for one entire year. I thought to myself that it was already cheap and MAYBE, just MAYBE they would not give discounts for getting a year since... it's already pretty much free. And guess what? They give a discount of 82%. Eighty Two. Per. Cent.

( What I did was $68 for 10 days TIMES 36 because of 365 days in a year, which gave me $2448, then the annual 'membership' is just $438. Divide annual thing by the individual cost of $2448 and the result is 0.18; so the annual would be me paying 18% of the individual.)

So what the gently caress is this poo poo? I usually wouldn't complain of a bargain, but this is just loving retarded. I get it, teens have parties and such and they don't want to pay $1,000 for a party filter, but per 24 hours it's just $6. SIX DOLLARS. A teen would DEFINITELY be willing to pay $100 for 24 hours for a party. What the gently caress are there mongrels thinking?

Also, why the gently caress can't I take less than 20k sq. ft. for the same amount of a logarythmic scaled amount? That's just loving stupid.

If anyone from Snap reads this poo poo: I just got a yearly subscription so you can change your lovely rear end pricing as soon as your shithole of a company approves my YEARLY filter that I paid the same as I'd pay for my weekly groceries.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I paid 400 dollars for something whose marginal cost is probably measured in cents, but they're the ones getting ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i think I'm finally getting old enough to lose my grasp on new technology because i have no idea what that person is buying in that post and how time/area factors into Snapchat filters