Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strong bird
May 12, 2009

Figure it out yourself if you don't want to watch their guides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

strong bird posted:

Figure it out yourself if you don't want to watch their guides.

That's what I normally do.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
People get money off of youtube so don't get butthurt about them advertising their brand if you're going to use their 'service' however annoying/poo poo they are.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
mr happy is a good example of someone who takes 20 minutes to explain a 3 minute video without any of it having to do with advertising himself

some people are just dumb and like to hear themselves talk

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's more that writing and editing a script for yourself is so much harder than just rambling over some unedited stream footage.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I haven't Machinisted in awhile and thought I could run through some EXDR and try and get the rest of the 245 aiming set, so I can look cool in Ala Migho and... I don't think I've ever seen Lava Scorpion do Hiss a 4th time before. :stare: I thought I was hitting all my buttons in somewhat of a correct order, but I guess not. The Ninja was in full 270 gear, except for his Padjali weapon, so that probably had something to do with it too. I have an HQ 250 gun and a mix of the 245 and 260 left-side and a 230-260 right-side.

We still won, it just took longer than I was used to.

I honestly think DPS is probably the most stressful job for me, especially at higher levels. It's more invisible when you gently caress up at first but as a boss wears on the problem becomes more apparent, I think. I've only ever done EXDR as a tank before and it's been smooth sailing about 99% of the time.

I'm looking forward to the changes because everyone's going to be learning for a little while and we're all going to suck and it's going to be insane.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Has the game changed much since the release of the last expansion? Is there an early play period for the next.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oriental Hugs posted:

Has the game changed much since the release of the last expansion? Is there an early play period for the next.
1) Yes, quite a bit, and even more drastic changes once Stormblood hits.
2) Yes, but only if you pre-order.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

If I were to come back should I wait for the expansion? When does the early play start.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Oriental Hugs posted:

If I were to come back should I wait for the expansion? When does the early play start.

Early play is on the 16th and depends, if you wanna clear through the content from heavensward you can get that done over the next week and a bit so you can jump into the new stuff,.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Depending where you left off, you're looking at some dozens of hours of gameplay before you can even access the expansion. If you have completed the HW story and updates until 3.56 then you're all ready.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
If you have quests or leveling to do before stormblood, get in now. Everyone is helping a lot. When the expansion hits, it's gonna get crazy and the newness is going overwhelm help for the old stuff.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Do you have to be up to date on quests to start the expansion? Hated that so much.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oriental Hugs posted:

Do you have to be up to date on quests to start the expansion? Hated that so much.

Yes.

Heavensward's story is excellent and blows anything in 2.xx out of the water, this is really a case of complaining about a wealth of content being silly.

There are many good and cool dungeons and Primals.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

There's supposed to be some sort of "Jumping Potion" (engrish term?) coming out with Stormblood if you want to pay $25 to skip the previous quests

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Oriental Hugs posted:

Yes, you have to be done the main story up to patch 3.56 to start expansion content, but I think as long as you have at least one job at level 50 you can at least access the new jobs, Samurai and Red Mage.

They're going to be selling jump potions that let you skip the story, once the expansion comes out, so if you're really behind, you can pay an extra fee to get caught up. You'd need another potion to level to 60, though.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Today I EXDRed into Wall. I was doing the first pack all by itself because it was my first time tanking anything in like 3 weeks and doing that entire set at once was rough even when I was fresh. Our NIN runs ahead, intentionally pulls in another couple packs, we wipe, and then he complains about 'baby aggro' and drops. It was wild.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If he didn't use shadewalker to put all the mobs he pulled onto you then he's a garbage ninja.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Oriental Hugs posted:

You do, but instead of 120 quests of garbage the entire thing from end of HW launch content to current is like 15 quests or something. There's no bullshit, it's just a good story. I've been helping people through it and if you're determined you could do the whole thing in a day (with people always around to help you through dungeons and help you find ilvls, of course).

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Dragonsong_War_Quests

More like 44 quests. But still a lot less than the transition from ARR to Heavensward: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/7th_Astral_Era_Quests

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I didn't realize that this was a thing that I had to do still so I probably should have re subscribed earlier. Still have 90 quests to go before I can even access HW content.

Haven't even had time to learn mechanics of the dungeons and trials I've been rushing through since the extent of pubbies' explanations nowadays is to follow them and stay out of AoE. Had no idea what was happening my first and only run of Castrum Meridianum and hopefully I will never have to MT any runs of it in the near future.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Want does early access mean exactly just can jump into the expac early or something else?

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

LethalGeek posted:

Want does early access mean exactly just can jump into the expac early or something else?

Just means you can play the expansion a few days before its official release.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

Yeah, the story content in FFXIV is sequential: you won't be able to start the Ala Mhigo/Doma arc until you finish the previous main story quests (or you buy a story skip potion which apparently will be available when early access starts on the 16th)

edit: I misread - yeah basically the game launches on the 16th

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ihatepants posted:

Haven't even had time to learn mechanics of the dungeons and trials I've been rushing through since the extent of pubbies' explanations nowadays is to follow them and stay out of AoE. Had no idea what was happening my first and only run of Castrum Meridianum and hopefully I will never have to MT any runs of it in the near future.

You'll have time to, likely before summer's end. All the content will probably be soloable at 70!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
How crazy would it be to just do the endgame story content on Samurai instead?

I just got back into the game after a long break and I'm 57 now and I don't really feel like grinding dungeons as tank to 60 just to start over at 50... since you can create a RDM or SAM without being 60 as long as you're 50+ I'm not sure if its worth bothering.
If the quests give good XP seems like leaving them for Sam since I know I won't be playing DRK anymore... may as well?

I'll have to gear up but I can grab monk gear if I have to...

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Doable if you don't mind being behind the pack and probably having a few issues with dungeon queus

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going through the game the first time and seeing the amount of content is pretty neat. I'm disappointed that I'm just strictly doing Main Story quests and not really hitting everything else. I have soooo many undone quests.

I think I'll be ready by the time early access roles around.

It doesn't matter if I'm not, but it's been pretty great so far and all the butts in discord have been putting up with my dumb questions so that's a plus.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Asema posted:

Going through the game the first time and seeing the amount of content is pretty neat. I'm disappointed that I'm just strictly doing Main Story quests and not really hitting everything else. I have soooo many undone quests.

I think I'll be ready by the time early access roles around.

It doesn't matter if I'm not, but it's been pretty great so far and all the butts in discord have been putting up with my dumb questions so that's a plus.

Don't worry, this is a FF MMO so you can always level other classes on the same character. Since the MSQs stay done, those side quests you missed are all you have to do on your other classes, other than FATE grinding, dungeon grinding, or leve grinding :v:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Today I learned you can roulette into stuff you've never done before. That seems like an odd choice considering what it's supposed to be for.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Carbichu, I choose you?!

Stormblood needs to come out already.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

^^ Fantastic

SonicRulez posted:

Today I learned you can roulette into stuff you've never done before. That seems like an odd choice considering what it's supposed to be for.

Reducing queue times?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

How crazy would it be to just do the endgame story content on Samurai instead?

I just got back into the game after a long break and I'm 57 now and I don't really feel like grinding dungeons as tank to 60 just to start over at 50... since you can create a RDM or SAM without being 60 as long as you're 50+ I'm not sure if its worth bothering.
If the quests give good XP seems like leaving them for Sam since I know I won't be playing DRK anymore... may as well?

I'll have to gear up but I can grab monk gear if I have to...

You'll be a bit behind, but there's plenty of time to get to 70 from 50 before Omega drops. Should they jump the 51-60 Armoury Bonus up to +100%, it'll take less than a week of just casual rouletting(and doing nothing else) to get SAM or RDM to 60. If they're going to do the same as HW, the next Tomestone will come with Omega when it releases a few weeks after launch, so you should be safe as far as being on pace there. You'll be behind on the next Hunt seals, and could possibly miss out on the initial Extreme Primals being cutting edge though. If those don't sound like big deals to you, then definitely do what you want and pick up Samurai immediately. Also, considering you still have 57-60 stuff to do, and you'll be earning experience going through the 3.1-3.56 story stuff, you could be 61 or 62 before reaching SB content.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 5, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

i'm pretty sure that's only true for the mentor roulette, which is a reason why that roulette kinda blows

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

No, you need to have done everything for Mentor Roulette. LLDR and Trial can give you incomplete duties.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

ihatepants posted:

tbf "don't stand in bad" is 90% of mechanics of all content in this game. It's amazing how many people still fail at this.

I can understand if Castrum feels confusing as it's one of the few cases where you can't main tank the final boss. Instead Livia focuses on the player who last shot her with a cannon. This is also pretty much the only boss in the entire game who does this so don't worry about it too much!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Skaw posted:

You'll be a bit behind, but there's plenty of time to get to 70 from 50 before Omega drops. Should they jump the 51-60 Armoury Bonus up to +100%, it'll take less than a week of just casual rouletting(and doing nothing else) to get SAM or RDM to 60. If they're going to do the same as HW, the next Tomestone will come with Omega when it releases a few weeks after launch, so you should be safe as far as being on pace there. You'll be behind on the next Hunt seals, and could possibly miss out on the initial Extreme Primals being cutting edge though. If those don't sound like big deals to you, then definitely do what you want and pick up Samurai immediately. Also, considering you still have 57-60 stuff to do, and you'll be earning experience going through the 3.1-3.56 story stuff, you could be 61 or 62 before reaching SB content.

Casual ldr is not a thing that is going to exist for dps jobs for like a month after SB launch.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bleu posted:

No, you need to have done everything for Mentor Roulette. LLDR and Trial can give you incomplete duties.

well on the one hand that's kinda weird but on the other it ain't like anything in leveling or trial roulette is all that difficult

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Failboattootoot posted:

Casual ldr is not a thing that is going to exist for dps jobs for like a month after SB launch.

I meant casual as in if thats all they're going to do, not the amount of time logged in to do it. It's still extremely casual play if you're logging in, queuing, and then doing things alt-tabbed or around the house while waiting, even if that wait is 20+ minutes. But sure, that's what Palace of the Dead is for too. In the context of leveling 50-60 on Red Mage or Samurai, that's still going to be decent experience.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
IMO playing your current main to 70 instead of starting a fresh SAM is more worthwhile even if you intend to main hanzo steel (or fanciful fencing) later on. You'll unlock all Stormblood features by playing through the story including EXDR dungeons meaning you can also start working on collecting gear for your desired job as well. Leveling through SB MSQ sounds optimal as well but having to level up 50 -> 60 first sounds like a chore if you really want to just enjoy the story.

• Locked thread