Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Hamelekim posted:

They would have to leave their hole at some point, and they would have to peek their heads out a door or window to do it. They already camp so if it doesn't change at least they have to stick their heads out to know if someone is there.

It would save me so many times running through the woods or in a field if someone has to show themselves to see me. They can't get the drop on me in that situation unless they hear me. It would cause people to be more aggressive not less because they have no other choice. Their best choice right now is third person camping. If I run through a town and can actually see them peeking out at me because they have to in order to spot anyone, it creates more engagement.

Actually in first person you'll die way more in the woods/fields by getting shot in the back because you won't be able to look around using your camera anymore. Likewise camping stairs/inside small rooms generally is not very effective at the moment as the attacker can get a peek using third person - in first person mode, the camper has a huge advantage.

First person will be an interesting game mode but it definitely won't be better, just different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Piss de Bundy posted:

i shot at 2 dudes on a bike with my shotgun from a moderate distance, they freaked out and jumped off, the game credited me with their deaths and they died a hilarious death and their motorcycle flipped down a steep hill

The opposite happened to me - I was on a bike with a sidecar and this dude pretty well steps in front of me and starts shooting. I ran him over (got classed as a fall death, but got it credited to me) and I copped no damage.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
One of my favorite things about this game is how quickly you can get back into a new one. It really encourages being a nutcase at the top of rounds and also cordons off the best micro players; if you're really good at the opening, which is one of the harder parts of the game to not gently caress up, you'll be in that round for at least another half hour. If you suck, you'll pop right back into a new game where you can give it another shot along with the other 50 people that died at the top of your round. The game's structure really helps out its matchmaking.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
This game isn't a realistic fps imo, 3rd person camera is fine

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

1st person rewards more aggressive gameplay. You can't just lay prone with your face stuck into a rock or wall.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Bloodplay it again posted:

Third-person cameras also allow you to do bullshit like this pretty easily, which has been in the game since March and probably won't be fixed any time soon. I haven't played first-person PUBG because of the obvious disadvantages playing against everyone using the third-person camera, so I can't say whether it's definitively better or worse, but I am sorry to have somehow offended not one, but two people with my distaste for the bad 3P camera in an early, early access game.

This explains so much about some of my deaths.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I'm not really getting all this beef with third person maybe someone could whip up a MS paint?

I generally agree about third person being kinda cheesy in other games but it just works in pubg. This isn't a realistic shooter and the firefights tend to lend themselves well to the sort of cat and mouse gameplay that the third person peek promotes. It's not like you're going to get immediately dropped by the dude peeking you generally, the TTK and med abilities are too strong for it to be that punishing. I find when I'm peeked it's usually both from a super predictable position and easy enough to take cover and commence my own third person peeking.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 5, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Slumpy posted:

This game isn't a realistic fps imo, 3rd person camera is fine

what is a realistic fps? You're not one of those Arma guys are you?

Do you want your PC to give you a puncture wound when you get hit?

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Tony Montana posted:

what is a realistic fps? You're not one of those Arma guys are you?

Do you want your PC to give you a puncture wound when you get hit?

I'd say a realistic fps is the one with realistic aspects and not one where 3 naked guys in a sidecar blast uzis into a yugo....But maybe I stepped into some weird goon argument where saying third person is okay is considered "Gay" and "Bullshit" and im "Not funny or cool"

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Slumpy posted:

I'd say a realistic fps is the one with realistic aspects and not one where 3 naked guys in a sidecar blast uzis into a yugo....But maybe I stepped into some weird goon argument where saying third person is okay is considered "Gay" and "Bullshit" and im "Not funny or cool"

*gets DBNO'd for the third time his round after taking 9 SMG shots in the chest* no worries team let me just crush 3 Red Bull's and a handful of percocets before I jump off the roof of this third floor apartment

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?
I want them to add cigarettes so I can smoke and poo poo just like in real life. I would totally burn one down while waiting behind a rock. Ahhhh feels good man.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Slumpy posted:

what game are you describing? CounterStrike? I bet whatever game you call 'realistic' doesn't have third person.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I've been watching a lot of anthony_kongphan, tsm_viss, and Grimmz, in that order - they really get into hilarious bullshit. Apologies if any of these have already been posted, I'm bound to have missed a couple posted clips.

grimmz clip:
https://clips.twitch.tv/EnchantingAdorablePterodactylTinyFace

anthony_kongphan clip:
https://clips.twitch.tv/SpookySavoryGuanacoHeyGirl

TSM_Viss clip:
https://clips.twitch.tv/AttractiveYummyKathyPRChase

another TSM_Viss clip:
https://clips.twitch.tv/SparklingMuddyMomKlappa

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Slumpy posted:

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but....

Look at his rap sheet. He's an idiot.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Tony Montana posted:

what game are you describing? CounterStrike? I bet whatever game you call 'realistic' doesn't have third person.

? I said this game isnt realistic and 3rd person is okay. I'd call insurgency a realistic game and it doesnt have third person. I dont get what you're talking about

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

causticBeet posted:

*gets DBNO'd for the third time his round after taking 9 SMG shots in the chest* no worries team let me just crush 3 Red Bull's and a handful of percocets before I jump off the roof of this third floor apartment

I've only got experience with monster and codeine but you'd be surprised how effective that is

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but....

Look at his rap sheet. He's an idiot.

good thing you posted then! You can probably find a thread to agree with people over in D&D, perhaps a nice Liberal Trump safe space?

Slumpy posted:

? I said this game isnt realistic and 3rd person is okay. I'd call insurgency a realistic game and it doesnt have third person. I dont get what you're talking about

I haven't played Insurgency. I'm just laughing at the idea of a 'realistic' fps.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
third person bros: chill, enjoy the game as a game, would try out first person servers for fun

first person r-tards: always mad, want video game to be extremely "realistic" instead of fun, would put poison berries into this game

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Nice, divide into two camps and make up poo poo about each other! Are you American? Hows that working for you?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i'm not saying anyone is wrong for thinking this would be a better game with a first person only mode i just don't see it

too many people already spend the early/mid game getting as far away from the action as possible and holing up on a roof or at the edge of the circle least likely to have players; adding a first person mode that makes it harder to locate and dislodge them is just going to encourage that behavior

i get that campers can use third person too but between multiple routes to almost everywhere and throwables smart players have an advantage against them. third person also gives you a chance against snipers peeking from behind trees 500m away. without the ability to locate those guys without exposing yourself it's way too easy to get permanently pinned down

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

So, what's everyone's strategies throughout the game? I feel like the best bet is to take what you know about the map and go to the highest good loot chances that is the furthest away from the plane flight path (but still within reach of the sky dive) so you have the best opportunity to get good stuff and a vehicle before mid game, without worrying too much about enemy players. At the same time, I like to get in the poo poo -- lately, I've just been dropping into towns right over the plane flight path to get into some early engagements, and if I make it, then I got some kills notched and probably some decent loot before mid game starts. If I get murdered, then whatever, I haven't invested that much time in that round.

My end game strategy is to either get shot by some jerk with a kar98 in the bushes, do donuts in a jeep until I get murdered, or die to the blue zone.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hope you get a 4x scope minimum

Also hope that where you come into the final circles at has some sort of advantage. Being downhill of someone really kills your chances

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i have the same end game strat but early game i try to hit up one of the second tier locations that will have some action (crater, novo, georgy warehouses, hospital, water town, gun range) and then book it to pochinki or the military base to try and kill whoever came out on top there

usually if i can't find decent optics by the second circle i'll just try and find a bike or buggy and do sick tricks until i die

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Stop arguing and post more awesome PUBG clips

Salty Grimmmz is the best Grimmmz

https://clips.twitch.tv/CovertAffluentSalamanderTBCheesePull

Anthony_Kongphan isn't usually salty, instead wonderfully incredulous and then laughs

https://clips.twitch.tv/AbrasiveRenownedBarracudaBleedPurple

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the talent deficit posted:

i have the same end game strat but early game i try to hit up one of the second tier locations that will have some action (crater, novo, georgy warehouses, hospital, water town, gun range) and then book it to pochinki or the military base to try and kill whoever came out on top there

usually if i can't find decent optics by the second circle i'll just try and find a bike or buggy and do sick tricks until i die

big fan of doing donuts in red zones here

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Appoda posted:

So, what's everyone's strategies throughout the game? I feel like the best bet is to take what you know about the map and go to the highest good loot chances that is the furthest away from the plane flight path (but still within reach of the sky dive) so you have the best opportunity to get good stuff and a vehicle before mid game, without worrying too much about enemy players. At the same time, I like to get in the poo poo -- lately, I've just been dropping into towns right over the plane flight path to get into some early engagements, and if I make it, then I got some kills notched and probably some decent loot before mid game starts. If I get murdered, then whatever, I haven't invested that much time in that round.

My end game strategy is to either get shot by some jerk with a kar98 in the bushes, do donuts in a jeep until I get murdered, or die to the blue zone.

I always drop for the high pop areas because dropping in, looting for 5 mins and then getting killed really pissed me off as a total waste of time.

So the school, military base, the highest pop you can go. Sure the first few times you'll get hosed, but you'll pick up the gunplay a hell of a lot quicker than a few brief and unsuccessful firefights after long looting sessions. It's a lot of fun too, drop with Duo mode and perhaps beat some dude to poo poo with your bare hands while your buddy watches out, or land, sprit to a building and grab a pistol, sprint straight out again and chase down those guys you saw on the way down.

Once the game starts going, always push for the circle. I just generally push toward the centre of the circle because thats the highest chance place of being close to the next circle.

Try not to get salty after being sniped for the 20th time in the top 10. That's this game, Quake Champions isnt far away when it becomes too much.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah you're right on ditching trying to sneak your way into the upper teens. You'll have way more fun taking people out and not getting owned for your KDR. Seriously though playing it safe is a dumb idea in the long run, you'll never win outside of getting lucky

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
watching some streamers and they never hid in the houses at all. Robs you of far too much vision and awareness. You go outside and crouch by a wall or something, maybe right next to the house, but sitting in the house makes you blind and deaf.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Footsteps are way more pronounced in a building as well

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just got my first solo chicken dinner!

Ended up landing in Pochinki with a boatload of people but I didn't actually see a single person (other than a couple driving by in vehicles) until the last 5 minutes of the game. Ended up getting a SCAR with some attachments and a silencer, which took me to the very end despite having really lovely armor. When it was down to the final 3 I heard the other two going at it, so once I saw one go down I moved towards the fire and got behind a big boulder. Five seconds later, the final guy crawled RIGHT past me on the other side of the rock and I was able to light him up.

Said rock:

Not my most challenging round, but I'll take it!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Silencers are an insane gain if you find one for an assault rifle. Pinging dudes while they're unaware and giving them next to zero chance to figure out where you're at.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Flash suppressor too. Besides the sound, when you light someone up they'll usually spot you first from the flash of your gun. People are often conditioned to look for it, so when there isn't any it complicates things

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

frank.club posted:

Silencers are an insane gain if you find one for an assault rifle. Pinging dudes while they're unaware and giving them next to zero chance to figure out where you're at.

i'll main an ump if i find an smg supressor but not an ar supressor

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also don't undersell the VSS that thing is a loving monster for all the reasons above

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

frank.club posted:

My favorite moments are when you're taking shots at someone with a long range silenced rifle and stop firing for a couple seconds so they figure they're out of the line of fire. Then you dome 'em :fuckoff:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

frank.club posted:

That's why I like the UMP9, there are more silences out there for the weapon.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Slumpy posted:

i played dayz with this slumpy character and him and his friend, who were roleplaying a sheriff and deputy, handcuffed me on the shores of chernarus and force fed me disinfectant until i was dead. this was "not funny nor cool" and most definitely "bullshit"

basically what i am saying is this guy is a big fat troll and i am still very upset about that event.

people need to calm down about "realism" semantics; we get it--video games are not real life and a lot of the mechanics in the game are not realistic, but some parts like bullet drop, bullets exiting from the barrel (not the head or scope), damage from exiting a moving car, etc are and they are fun, interesting mechanics that contribute to a compelling game experience. the more tedious and mundane parts of reality like eating berries, drinking water, pooping, and sleep would be stupid and would detract from emergent gameplay of fun and cool mechanics that may or may not be based entirely in reality.

ok thanks for reading hope this resolves the issues of this argument

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

pubg is real and the mainstream media refuses to report on it. infowars dot com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alex Jones's PUBG vitamin supplements will get you in the top 5 every round

• Locked thread