Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
So, is Corbyn hitting May over wanting to censor the internet or is Labor staying out of it out of some dumb notion respect or fear of looking soft on terror?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

So, is Corbyn hitting May over wanting to censor the internet or is Labor staying out of it out of some dumb notion respect or fear of looking soft on terror?

i dont know whether people outside nerdlingers really care enough atm for them to say anything

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It's a UK government IT project meaning it'll be given to a private company to do, take over a decade to see anything from it and then not work anyway.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
phwoar imagine a corbyn led labour major IT project where the contract didn't go to the company offering suspiciously 1/4 of all the rest and have it abandoned costing 3x more than all the others by the end

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

The PRD have been forever mocked as the looney left, it will be interesting to see if Obrador can rise to the occasion.

edit: or the National Regeneration Movement as wiki puts his party currently being, not the PRD.

Did he break off from the PRD after the scandal?

Yeah he broke off, took most of the voters with him, and is now leading in the polls. This will be the first election where the PRI isn't in the top two.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

phwoar imagine a corbyn led labour major IT project where the contract didn't go to the company offering suspiciously 1/4 of all the rest and have it abandoned costing 3x more than all the others by the end

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

babypolis posted:

theres a big election coming up in mexico this week and british ge, should be a fun week

i kinda want to make a mexican election thread but im a lazy bastard

Please make one friendo. :)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ayyy guey this is now the chingado mexico thread

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/dvoeverie/status/871477657925558272

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Aliquid posted:

the reason the U.K. border regime has been getting tighter is because miss may knew this would happen!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Aliquid posted:

lol from facebook just now

most everyone i know is in PAN country tho

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

babypolis posted:

theres a big election coming up in mexico this week and british ge, should be a fun week

i kinda want to make a mexican election thread but im a lazy bastard
Dooooooooooo it

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

ya

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

World War Mammories posted:

yeah, there's no way that netanyahu's high score can compare to hitler's or stalin's

anyway hello thread I am a dumb american who wandered in basically by mistake. my understanding is that may is hilariously incompetent while corbyn is basically okay, but may is gonna win anyway because the powers that be in labor labour are still extremely offended that corbyn has ideas like "funding the NHS is good" and "refusing to support the murder of civilians, even if they're brown." is this basically correct

Not exactly. Jeremy Corbyn is, in general, a good egg and someone very much on the left. The current Labour manifesto has a lot of good ideas, whereas the Conservative one only has a few okay ideas, but insists on continual cuts going into the future. There is still a problem of underfunding of public services and the problem of higher taxation for Richer citizens which, again, the conservatives refuse to consider. There are also divisions within Labour, ones that are long lasting and very much coming to the surface now. The internal fights of most political parties are usually fairly simplistic, but this is a long slog between the PLP (or Parliamentary Labour Party), consisting of most of the Members of Parliament and people who make up a share of committees, and the LP (Labour Party), who are members of the Labour party. At the present time the Labour Party numbers have gone up hugely over large numbers of interested and involved young people getting into it. It has also lead to people becoming increasingly angry at the PLP for not "getting out of the way".

The PLP is generally considered, quite rightly in some cases, to be terrified of going too far Left, as they see it as part of "triangulation" like with Clinton in the USA. Most of them are from the time of Tony Blair and see politics as a career not as a "calling". They are generally Pro-USA, Pro-EU and Anti-Taxation. The Labour Party members are far further to the Left they are generally suspicious of the USA, Pro Europe (but often anti EU) and pro taxation for the wealthiest. At present Corbyn is definitely in the latter camp. His style of "Avuncular but none creepy Uncle" has gone down well with people and his policies are generally well liked. The problem is that the PLP is so scared of turning leftwards and being terrified of the Murdoch Press that they were convinced that this election was going to be a disaster for Corbyn.

As is, due to unforced errors on the Conservative side as well as generally quite good campaigning for Labour, Corbyn is doing rather well. Even some of the bigger guns of the PLP and allies are saying "vote for Corbyn" now, instead of sulking quietly.

Of course this is WAY too simplified. But this should give you a rough overview, it does include my own biases of course.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol at top gear crew insulting mexican food when it's basically the best beef, and moles/guisados are essentially curries

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/871090909114490881

:staredog:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
keep in mind that's the best poll out of Labour and looking at all polling companies the Tory lead is somewhere between 1 and 15 points

so basically uhh some party or other is going to win some seats somewhere, probably

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

these polls clearly point to a surprise victory by the red tories. they're the only ones who address the issues facing 70+% of the public

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

im wary if this is taking into account a huge youth swing from 2015, but I don't know anything about British polls, besides they are notoriously everywhere.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
I''m leery after the false Ed Dawn of yesteryear. Also, world is gently caress, born to die.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Holy lol.

What an incredible few weeks.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Corbyn would get stabbed post election, but if he can keep it this close in spite of the stupid media poo poo he gets, or even snatch a win, he's staying put.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

rudatron posted:

I thought Corbyn would get stabbed post election, but if he can keep it this close in spite of the stupid media poo poo he gets, or even snatch a win, he's staying put.

lmfao if you think labour won't do everything they can to oust him regardless of outcome

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they gon' need to change the voting process to PLP-only if they want to have any hope of ousting him

if he gets one more seat than miliband he's a loving hero

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

rudatron posted:

Holy lol.

What an incredible few weeks.

If anything, this shows May hosed up big. She went in trying to solidify and make gains and at the very, very least she's not. At the most, she's losing to another party. Either way, not the landslide she was looking for it seems right now.

Running from debates was probably the nail in the coffin if the Tories lose. Corbyn tying her to Trump was masterful.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Corbyn ran a way better campaign than even people who liked him thought he would, and the Tories have done absolutely everything wrong. This is just as hilarious as 2016.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Corbyn ran a way better campaign than even people who liked him thought he would, and the Tories have done absolutely everything wrong. This is just as hilarious as 2016.

And not even in a nihilist way

This election is insane and also good and cool. When is the last time any of us could say that?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Aliquid posted:

This election is insane and also good and cool. When is the last time any of us could say that?

2008 Dem primaries probably.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Aliquid posted:

Whoever wins it will be a hilarious poo poo show and even funnier if no one wins, which is apparently a possible outcome.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
Nasty Nigel

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

2008 Dem primaries probably.
that was all :awesome: and obamarama spreadsheets tho

hakimashou posted:

Whoever wins it will be a hilarious poo poo show and even funnier if no one wins, which is apparently a possible outcome.

i love that 10% of y'all's seats are tied up with other parties in NI and scotland, bring on the coalitions

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Aliquid posted:

that was all :awesome: and obamarama spreadsheets tho

It was still pretty insane that a black dude named Hussein Osama not only beat Hillary Clinton for the dem nomination but also went on to become president in a landslide.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It was still pretty insane that a black dude named Hussein Osama not only beat Hillary Clinton for the dem nomination but also went on to become president in a landslide.

And then get reelected.

America is the greatest country in the world.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/871484034643263489

quote:

The UK Labour Party has vowed to suspend arms sales to Saudi Arabia, as part of a return to an "ethical foreign policy," the shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry said on Friday.

Writing in the Guardian, Thornberry said the party would return to the human rights-focused "Cook doctrine", referring to the party's former foreign secretary Robin Cook, who resigned in 2003 over the Iraq war.

"We will strive to reduce not increase global tensions, and give new momentum to talks on non-proliferation and disarmament," Thornberry writes, ahead of a general election on 8 June.

Anybody who doesn't vote for Labour is evil. You're not a good person if you don't at least vote Labour.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hakimashou posted:

And then get reelected.

America is the greatest country in the world.

i was in nigeria for that

went to sleep not knowing the outcome, walked out into the street and people started screaming OBAMA at me and it continued for miles

okay that kinda owned

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/871484034643263489

Anybody who doesn't vote for Labour is evil. You're not a good person if you don't at least vote Labour.

wait so wikileaks is pro-trump and pro-corbyn

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

fingers crossed

Disparage the Farage imo

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

hakimashou posted:

Cameron thought no-one was going to win in 2015 which is why he promised the brexit vote, it would have been the first thing to go in coalition negotiations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Aliquid posted:

wait so wikileaks is pro-trump and pro-corbyn

They're supposedly in favor of anything that weakens the Western order vis-a-vis Putin, and I guess you could argue that NATO's alliance with Saudi Arabia is part of that. But I think their actual politics if any are more complicated than that.