Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

I'm surprised to see reasonablehitler.jpg play out for real, but here we are. "Why is thousands of innocent people dying bad? They're just slaves of terrible people anyway."

actually I said the regime being toppled wouldn't be so bad and someone else said the only people to die would be slaves

But yeah I'm literally Hitler for wanting an explanation why the collapse of slave owning dictatorships is bad :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
With the players involved it would just result in another slave owning dictatorship, only a lot of people will have died

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

I literally explained my logic on the last page:

CENTCOM is there, so yes, they're important.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

maskenfreiheit posted:

actually I said the regime being toppled wouldn't be so bad and someone else said the only people to die would be slaves

But yeah I'm literally Hitler for wanting an explanation why the collapse of slave owning dictatorships is bad :shrug:

Because, again, thousands of innocent people will die. This has been said many, many times. You have to be deliberately ignoring this or something because it has been said repeatedly, including in my post you're quoting.

And yes, as people said, the new regime would probably just be worse anyway. A Saudi puppet or something probably. So, no improvement, just a lot of dead people.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Tarezax posted:

With the players involved it would just result in another slave owning dictatorship, only a lot of people will have died

Because Arabs can't sustain a democratic republic?

Wow.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

CENTCOM is there, so yes, they're important.

We literally JUST discussed that. Catch up

axeil posted:

US CENTCOM is in Qatar. If KSA/Bahrain/UAE go in guns blazing and we don't move CENTCOM there's a pretty good chance they get hit and now we have the KSA actually killing US citizens/servicemembers instead of just looking the other way while their nationals fly planes into buildings. It would be an enormous crisis.

Since I have 0 faith in the occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue to not enormously cock it up I'd like to avoid things getting to the point where he has to make any kind of decision.

Eh, I mean relations have been pretty bad among all 5 states for a while (Egypt doesn't count as it'll just do what KSA says to do), but there's bad and then there's this.

If we see a story this week about the fleet in Bahrain going out on maneuvers or CENTCOM "temporarily" moving somewhere else then poo poo is about to go down.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

maskenfreiheit posted:

Wow.

Okay I had a feeling you were just trolling but you tipped your hand with this one. Not worth engaging.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

maskenfreiheit posted:

Wow.

Is there any conceivable scenario where a war between Qatar and other gulf states results in a robust Qatari democracy movement?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

Okay I had a feeling you were just trolling but you tipped your hand with this one. Not worth engaging.

Well this is the Trump thread anyways so happy to move on. 👍

Flavahbeast posted:

Is there any conceivable scenario where a war between Qatar and other gulf states results in a robust Qatari democracy movement?

Please take the "can Qataris handle democracy" talk to the ME thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390388&perpage=40&pagenumber=2998

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 5, 2017

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

axeil posted:

Israel sunk a US warship and there's evidence it may have been on purpose in an attempt to draw the US into the Six Days War (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident). If that doesn't get us to tell Israel to gently caress off, I'm not sure a stray mortar would get us to anything with KSA.

Of course, Trump is President so by the Rule of Trump he'll do whatever the dumbest outcome is.

We can't tell God's chosen people to gently caress off, that wouldn't be very Christian of us!

Besides, we've got plenty of (((problems))) to take care of at home right now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

pillsburysoldier posted:

What's Evergreen College and why to conservatives and Joe Rogan want to use it suddenly to say college is bad

My limited understanding is that Evergreen is, beyond even Berkeley, the bad stereotype of liberal collegiate discourse that conservative media depicts all higher learning as.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

maskenfreiheit posted:

thanks but why is a war bad?

Interesting, furthermore what's the thread consensus on Pestilence, Famine, and Death? Possibly good things? Just asking questions please be polite ty

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
We're not going to war with Saudi Arabia. What the loving hell.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Zero_Grade posted:

Pretty poo poo surfing, though the heights are pretty awe-inspiring, especially to us Northeasterners from Vero.

Didn't stop half my graduating class of rich douchebags from wasting a few grand of their parents money on surfboards so they could sit on rear end in the sun and get caught in my lines.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

maskenfreiheit posted:

I literally explained my logic on the last page:

I wasn't commenting on your logic, since you didn't actually have any in that post, I was commenting on your posting style. If you'd like to seriously discuss things, perhaps don't make troll-style patronizing one liner posts meant to antagonize.

Your clarification post should've been the original post in the first place. Then you roll out this:

maskenfreiheit posted:

wow, that's pretty rude. if you'd like to have a discussion i'm happy to, it's pretty telling that a series of polite questions is eliciting such a hostile response

Well poo poo, I made this post so I guess I fell for it too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
No, but they may go to war with Qatar

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

RandomBlue posted:

I wasn't commenting on your logic, since you didn't actually have any in that post, I was commenting on your posting style. If you'd like to seriously discuss things, perhaps don't make troll-style patronizing one liner posts meant to antagonize.

Your clarification post should've been the original post in the first place. Then you roll out this:

Well poo poo, I made this post so I guess I fell for it too.

K

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
In what fantasy world would the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia install a democracy in a conquered state

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Why are people engaging with such an obvious trolling attempt? Come on, anyone who posts the question "thanks but why is war bad?" is obviously not asking in good faith.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

NoDamage posted:

Why are people engaging with such an obvious trolling attempt? Come on, anyone who posts the question "thanks but why is war bad?" is obviously not asking in good faith.

It's like dealing with Conservatives on the internet. Sure, you're hopeful that by conversing with them you may change their viewpoint but half the time you just walk away feeling like they were taking you for a ride.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
You'll have to pry my Conservative Christian Conspiracists FB friends of friends from my cold dead hands

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tarezax posted:

In what fantasy world would the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia install a democracy in a conquered state

Yeah, it would just be a horizontal integration of the House of Saud, with one of the Saudi princes being given his own vassal state instead of waiting in line for King Salman to expire.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Let's talk about Trump in the Trump thread

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/871591427008061441

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

i never liked peyton manning anyway

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
If only we were so blessed as to have Trump spend his 4 years doing nothing but using his position to rub elbows and show off to his other C-list celebrity friends.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

VitalSigns posted:

Interesting, furthermore what's the thread consensus on Pestilence, Famine, and Death? Possibly good things? Just asking questions please be polite ty
Unfriendly, but War does not preserve its enemies.

Schizotek posted:

Didn't stop half my graduating class of rich douchebags from wasting a few grand of their parents money on surfboards so they could sit on rear end in the sun and get caught in my lines.
They shoulda at least know enough to go to like, Reef Rocks or maybe Jupiter Inlet, but if they're spending a few thou on boards then obviously not.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Autism Sneaks posted:

If only we were so blessed as to have Trump spend his 4 years doing nothing but using his position to rub elbows and show off to his other C-list celebrity friends.

Yeah, Taft 2.0 would have been a blessing.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Crabtree posted:

And this is what happens when you allow civilians to buy AA-12 and armor piercing rounds. Soon they'll demand RPGs sold in Walmart and not even police tanks will be able to hold up here.

Why dump all that money into a semi auto shotgun that a 70 buck rifle can do 100 times better?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I remember reading the theory that Iraq invaded Kuwait because Saddam misinterpreted statements the US ambassador made as tacit approval and a promise that the US wouldn't step in.

So now I'm wondering if something similar is happening here. Did Trump say something so stupid that KSA assumed this would be fine? Or more likely, he said nothing but has proven himself to be so incompetent and corrupt that they're betting he won't do anything anyway.

Joke may be on them, if the right people make a fuss about this Trump may lash out to avoid looking like he's been had. His ego is his biggest concern.

Best case scenario is this de-escalates.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Autism Sneaks posted:

Thankfully Trump seems completely unfazed by the criticism of his frequent golfing and continues on no matter how bad it makes him look. Because otherwise we really could have ended up feeling really dumb that we were encouraging him to do his job more.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

At least it wasn't Tom Brady golfing with Trump. Man gently caress the Patriots.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is this Trump's fault somehow? Or his admin? Seems like we don't know enough to say much at all yet, I guess.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Covok posted:

Yeah, Taft 2.0 would have been a blessing.

TBF, Harding did nothing but gamble for his time in office while his cabinet hosed the country up.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

empty whippet box posted:

Is this Trump's fault somehow? Or his admin? Seems like we don't know enough to say much at all yet, I guess.

a beautiful thing about these detached, incompetent administrations is that nothing is really anyone's fault because no one has any idea whats happening

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's a theory that this might have been moved along by Trump being so cozy with Saudi Arabia and Co and them growing confident that he'd side with them where Obama tried to deal with the GCC more diplomatically as a whole. But it just seems to be a theory.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

In terms of a truthful and genuinely causal standpoint? I don't think we know enough to say yet.

In terms of a PR standpoint? Yes? I've generally come to understand that, at least in America, anything and everything that happens during a president's tenure is generally seen as somehow - right or wrong - a fault of that president. Add on top of that that this is all happening shortly after Trump's Big Adventure and I can't imagine any way that the average American doesn't see this as somehow Trump's fault.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We did just agree to sell 100 billion of arms to Saudi Arabia, I guess.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mustached Demon posted:

At least it wasn't Tom Brady golfing with Trump. Man gently caress the Patriots.

I mean they are both fuccbois of the highest caliber, but at least the Patriots have Gronk.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

We did just agree to sell 100 billion of arms to Saudi Arabia, I guess.

Go team!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DrNutt posted:

I mean they are both fuccbois of the highest caliber, but at least the Patriots have Gronk.

Gronks basically a 16 year old punk kid.

• Locked thread