Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Star Man posted:

I made a financially irresponsible decision yesterday and bought a PS4 Pro. I blew my 20% coupon that came with it on a stack of Capcom games that were already on sale and some Arcade Archives games. Spent $68 on $144 worth of games.

...and I have like no idea what's on this system besides Arcade Archives, fighting games, and cross platform stuff. What are the best grindy rear end RPGs I should buy?

May I suggest you try a game called Bloodborne?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rumors flying around that Fromsoft's new IP is called Phantom Wall and is Mayan/Aztec themed and based around hand to hand combat ala God Hand. Other rumors imply Bloodborne 2 is not a thing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Star Man posted:

I made a financially irresponsible decision yesterday and bought a PS4 Pro. I blew my 20% coupon that came with it on a stack of Capcom games that were already on sale and some Arcade Archives games. Spent $68 on $144 worth of games.

...and I have like no idea what's on this system besides Arcade Archives, fighting games, and cross platform stuff. What are the best grindy rear end RPGs I should buy?

Final Fantasy XV is pretty good even if it isn't exactly your traditional JRPG

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Star Man posted:

Persona 5, Tales of Berseria, World of Final Fantasy, Digimon, Disgaea 5?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Star Man posted:

going to second FFXV and World of Final Fantasy.

reception on FF Type-0 HD is mixed, but I enjoyed it a lot. I wrote up a short effort post about it but I can't remember what thread it's in anymore. suffice to say, it's a game that's meant to be played through multiple times, and while it's not going to blow you away with graphics (it's a PSP port after all), the battle system is fun as you get to choose between a bunch of different weapon specialties (there are some obvious better choices, but if you're not trying to do everything on the hardest difficulty, it honestly doesn't matter that much and you can choose who you want. the environments do get a little same-y though when you're just going through towns. the sorties were legitimately one of my favourite parts of the game, even if I wish they gave you slightly less direction and just let you try to figure it out.

if you like open world type games, pick up Horizon: Zero Dawn.

if you haven't played Life is Strange yet and a story about time-travelling teens at an art school in the Pacific Northwest appeals to you, definitely get that.

e: I forgot Life is Strange is gonna be free this month since I already own it

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 5, 2017

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Worth noting that if you get PS+ (and I think you get a free trial when you first get a PS4? I forget) then Life Is Strange is gonna be free in like two days

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Me, Nioh and Bloodborne are having a threesome every so often

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Rumors flying around that Fromsoft's new IP is called Phantom Wall and is Mayan/Aztec themed and based around hand to hand combat ala God Hand. Other rumors imply Bloodborne 2 is not a thing.

Holy fuckin poo poo I want that so bad.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

Star Man posted:

I made a financially irresponsible decision yesterday and bought a PS4 Pro.

I'm so close to make a similarly terrible decision but then I think all I want to play is Horizon Zero Dawn. And then Red Dead 2 whenever that comes out. Already played a lot of ps4 games due to a previous house mate who had a console (Unchartered's, Last of Us etc). I'm hoping I can find more than 1 or 2 reasons to fork out 500 for this thing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If it helps, I impulse bought a slim Uncharted 4 bundle just to play HZD and I'm very happy with it all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Rumors flying around that Fromsoft's new IP is called Phantom Wall and is Mayan/Aztec themed and based around hand to hand combat ala God Hand.

Yes please

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there a way to mass-delete people from your friends list? I added a bunch of goons at the PS4 launch and in all those years it has never come into play.

Well I guess it must have been relevant in some leaderboards or something. Maybe I'll just leave them in

Nope all manually deleting each one. I'm still culling the list to the people I normally play with.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Star Man posted:

Buy Nier Automata

veni veni veni posted:

I thought their next game was Armored Core?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Mr President posted:

They have something VR and cockpit AC would be perfect.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mr President posted:

they announced that they were working on several new games, one of which was armored core

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MrLonghair posted:

They have something VR and cockpit AC would be perfect.
I dunno if I am ready for flying at 500mph and changing direction instantly every 1.3 seconds in VR.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Star Man posted:

If you missed the PS3:

Last of Us Definitive Edition - good narrative behind a tense third person shooter that could probably bear to use it's stealth mechanics a little more than it actually does)
Uncharted Collection + 4 - fun rompy action games that iterate on each other while the narratives aren't too connected until perhaps the 4th one. Either play sequentially with breaks in between to avoid burnout or just play 4.

Otherwise:

Infamous First Light - Second Son and First Light are both pretty good, especially considering Second Son was a launch window title, but First Light is tighter and probably cheaper. They are both open world superhero games with some good movement abilities

Bloodborne - a more deliberate action rpg like the Souls games but with a faster pace and no shield. If Souls games didn't do it for you it wouldn't hurt to still give it a rent, as it's not the most uncommon phenomenon for people to turn around on Souls by playing Bloodborne.

Nier Automata - has a PC release but I hear it's better to play PS4. Standard but easy Platinum action that's a little less satisfying than Revengeance, but very stylish. Graphics are about mid-PS3 with the occasional really bad texture. Narrative goes from pretty cool and interesting in the beginning to one of my favorites by the second half, just don't let the first "ending" fool you, it's more of a chapter ending.

Other people really like Horizon, Nioh, Persona 5, and Yakuza Zero but I either haven't played or haven't played enough of them.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno if I am ready for flying at 500mph and changing direction instantly every 1.3 seconds in VR.

Once again I forgot that I'm immune to VR motion sickness. I want to see how normal people deal with first-sunship-view Race The Sun in VR.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Going that fast was only really a thing in 4/4A.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

veni veni veni posted:

If true my dozens of hours punching things with dual cestii in DS2 is about to pay off

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Crappers posted:

I'm so close to make a similarly terrible decision but then I think all I want to play is Horizon Zero Dawn. And then Red Dead 2 whenever that comes out. Already played a lot of ps4 games due to a previous house mate who had a console (Unchartered's, Last of Us etc). I'm hoping I can find more than 1 or 2 reasons to fork out 500 for this thing.

For what it's worth, unless you're rocking a 4k display then HZD runs almost as well on a normal PSPoor as it does on the Pro. Amazing visuals at a rock solid 30fps.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i hope the next armored core is closer to 4A than 1-3. and very far away from 5.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of HZD; Ausgoons, if you want a copy of it cheap, Target will be selling it for $39AU starting sometime in the next few days as part of a catalogue sale. Watch Dogs 2 and the WipeOut Omega Collection as well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Relin posted:

i hope the next armored core is closer to 4A than 1-3. and very far away from 5.

Is 4a better that verdict day, i was gonna play one of them this summer but its hard to decide which revision of a bad ac game is more worth my time

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Real hurthling! posted:

Is 4a better that verdict day, i was gonna play one of them this summer but its hard to decide which revision of a bad ac game is more worth my time

For Answer is legitimately great fun and well worth a play.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
4a felt like trying to swat flies with another fly. But it's still my favorite of them.

Despite being a robot game fan, I never came to appreciate Armored Core.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After how good 4 and 4A were V being a piece of poo poo was a real letdown.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

WipeOut Omega Collection at midnight! I'm excited to see that game in 4K.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

D1E posted:

WipeOut Omega Collection at midnight! I'm excited to see that game in 4K.

:gizz:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I finally unwrapped my copy of ffxv from xmas last year what pro mode is the least lovely? i know they all kinda suck for it

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there a way to mass-delete people from your friends list? I added a bunch of goons at the PS4 launch and in all those years it has never come into play.

Well I guess it must have been relevant in some leaderboards or something. Maybe I'll just leave them in

if you want to delete people thats fine but now that the one stupid rear end ubisoft bug is fixed is there actually a reason to do this

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Real hurthling! posted:

I finally unwrapped my copy of ffxv from xmas last year what pro mode is the least lovely? i know they all kinda suck for it

Yeah the lite setting works fine now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MrLonghair posted:

Once again I forgot that I'm immune to VR motion sickness. I want to see how normal people deal with first-sunship-view Race The Sun in VR.

It's not that bad, you can't steer and moving straight forward seems to be the least discomforting option in general.

A stompy mechwarrior type game would definitely work better in VR than AC ninja mechs, though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Renoistic posted:

Yeah the lite setting works fine now.

Oh cool

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Star Man posted:

it doesn't really qualify as a grindy-rear end RPG (well, not to me, some people might think it is) but you need to buy Horizon Zero Dawn

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Star Man posted:

Get Persona 5 immediately

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

HDR mode worked really well for me. The game is visually stunning...as long as it doesn't glitch on you. It's super buggy at times. The only visual bug I ever got was where rarely the game would just straight up stop rendering an image to my TV. It didn't happen often (maybe twice) but it was only with FFXV. I also had another glitch where I couldn't pick up items. That happened once.

Also someone was asking about grindy JRPGs. I suggest FFXIV and the KH remasters.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how witcher 3 goty runs on ps4?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pablo Gigante posted:

Get Persona 5 immediately

That's a little too anime for my taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Star Man posted:

What are the best grindy rear end RPGs I should buy?

What's your position on "anime" ?