Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

HaB posted:

Been doing a solo run through Dark Souls 1, thanks to compatibility mode on the XBone.

Great Club +15 w/ 40 Str trumps basically everything.

Also - it moves so much slower than DS3 and Bloodborne that I am basically a ninja. I started the DLC last night, and beat Artorias while only using ONE sip of Estus!

Never done that before. About to do Manus this evening. Expecting it to go about the same way.

I've been feeling that itch too. I never did do dark Anor Londo properly really. Still active players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Sleekly posted:

I've been feeling that itch too. I never did do dark Anor Londo properly really. Still active players?

Dunno. Not sure if it's an issue with Compatibility Mode or what, but it will only let me play offline. Was gong to google around to see if I can sort it out this weekend.

Edit: after a quick google, it may be because I don't have XBox Live Gold. If I am understanding the sites correctly, you need XBL Gold for any multiplayer on backwards-compatibile games.

HaB fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 2, 2017

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

HaB posted:

Dunno. Not sure if it's an issue with Compatibility Mode or what, but it will only let me play offline. Was gong to google around to see if I can sort it out this weekend.

Edit: after a quick google, it may be because I don't have XBox Live Gold. If I am understanding the sites correctly, you need XBL Gold for any multiplayer on backwards-compatibile games.

Its such a lonely game offline. It was nice of From to have NPC invasions/summons.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I recently played through DS1 online. There were still quite a few player messages, but I never got invaded except by NPCs and I never saw any summon signs.

I wasn't human in Darkroot, maybe there's action there

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jay Rust posted:

I recently played through DS1 online. There were still quite a few player messages, but I never got invaded except by NPCs and I never saw any summon signs.

i got invaded a lot in the area right after artorias playing on pc with dscm. never managed to summon anyone to help with manus though.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

cis autodrag posted:

i got invaded a lot in the area right after artorias playing on pc with dscm. never managed to summon anyone to help with manus though.
I mean, that was (and maybe still is?) basically DS1s version of the Iron Keeps Bridge of unofficial pvp area.

Or vice versa i guess.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jay Rust posted:

If you're on PC, you gotta use Dark Souls Connectivity Mod(dscm) or most connections just fail silently now.

If you're an appropriate level there are summon signs before tough fights and you get invaded sometimes.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Currently farming for covenant items on NG+, and the grind isn't so fun.
I'm parked in Farron Keep killing those Ghru dudes for Wolf Grass, while simultaneously wearing my Darkmoon Blade badge, in the hopes of getting the odd summon. Both processes are going quite slowly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

cis autodrag posted:

I'll have to watch that later.

And yeah, this is why I generally think in-game timer measuring for speedruns is dumb as hell. It leads to doing things that are not really playing the game, just exploiting the timer. I think speedrunning as a whole would be better if everyone just did a timer from first input to first frame of credits.

They do not do this because it makes the speedrun time be affected by hardware, where anyone with an SSD will have a huge advantage over anyone running the game on a hard drive

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Thats also the kind of stuff that lead to NTSC and PAL version timings for old console stuff because those used to run at different framerates and consequently game speeds. I think people got into arguments because some runners had imported japanese consoles that gave much faster loading times for specific games and if that was cheating or not.

IGT is a good idea, DS3 run door skipping is just a very obnoxious and unfortunate side effect of a technicality.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

at least they stopped doing quit out for doors in bloodborne - the dumbest quit out in ds3 is lightning the flames in farron swamp. they do one there (or maybe on all three) so the goats reset and i think that's lame.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I've spent the last few days being an absolute arsehole invading people with the millwood greatbow and obscuring ring on and having the most fun ever.
Corvian settlement is an absoluite dream spot for loving with people, if you stand on the second bridge below where the wolverine bastard is clinging on, you have a great vantage point over a chokepoint right next to the cliff. Even if you miss the shot the earthquake is enough to launch a host and 2 blue phantoms into the abyss. I'm in love.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Okay Lothric Knights are bullshit. A level 19 katana wielding merc like myself can barely touch that guy. I had to wade him through dragon-fire just to get an opening into the second bonfire in Lothric.

Oh sure the strategy seems simple in theory, but for some reason my mind can't process these things several minutes into a trial run; it's like accumulative stress is building up and I can't focus anymore and I get culled quicker. Is this normal?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

kinda yeah. try dodging towards the sword side rather than the shield side. also attacking right after dodging an attack will usually get you a hit.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
Like a big loser, I stayed in all weekend long here in beautiful, sunny Los Angeles, and finished Ashes of Ariendel and The Ringed City back to back. Not sure why everyone hated Ashes of Ariendel, as it contains one of the best boss fights in the entire series (Friede); also, the crow guys with the capes are one of the most difficult non-boss enemies in a Souls game. As for The Ringed City, it's clearly the better DLC, and all four of the bosses were fantastic, with Midir and Slave Knight Gael being the standouts. Love the environments, too.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

giving the knight guys a shield bash move to counter the universal "circle around to the right" strategy that every player was trained to do by the first games was genius

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CDHiggs posted:

also, the crow guys with the capes are one of the most difficult non-boss enemies in a Souls game.

I have these guys so much. That church near the end of the DLC that you fall into from the roof that has like 3 of them sucks so much.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have these guys so much. That church near the end of the DLC that you fall into from the roof that has like 3 of them sucks so much.

I shoot those assholes from the windows with a greatbow. gently caress those things.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I didn't mind the crow ninjas that much. I personally found the worst enemies to be the giant tree-wand swamp wizards in Farron Keep.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I didn't know you could fall into that church, I always just walked in from the front. (well, I walked in from the front once and then never came back)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The Corona is totally worth it you guys

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Wield your sword two handed and hit his shield until he recoils

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I managed to find the smoldering lake ruins and boy is it tough. I think I'll come back here later.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Sleekly posted:

Update on this:

I bought a year of XBL Gold because why not?

I started playing NG+, pulled a summon bro in the Parish and even got invaded. So yeah - still active, I guess. I haven't gone through the Burg, since I went the back way, but I'm guessing that's active too around the meta.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Grouchio posted:

Okay Lothric Knights are bullshit. A level 19 katana wielding merc like myself can barely touch that guy. I had to wade him through dragon-fire just to get an opening into the second bonfire in Lothric.

Oh sure the strategy seems simple in theory, but for some reason my mind can't process these things several minutes into a trial run; it's like accumulative stress is building up and I can't focus anymore and I get culled quicker. Is this normal?

Guess that answers the old question of who would win in a fight: katana weeb or chivalrous crusading knight?

The trick to Lothric knights is to punish their aggression. They will attack you 95% of the time with a 3 swing combo ending in a thrust. You can circle strafe them after their second horizontal swing, and wind up behind them as their thrust whiffs you, lining you up for a backstab. Alternatively, parry them silly as they are very predictable. The katana has a parry weapon art, which takes a bit more ability on your part, so be sure to carry around a buckler. I know it clashes with the honorabru Samurai aesthetic, but it's necessary at this point.

Also level 19 is still very very low, and you shouldn't get frustrated thinking you've outleveled anything past the bonfire on the tower.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 5, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Charles Bukowski posted:

I managed to find the smoldering lake ruins and boy is it tough. I think I'll come back here later.

If you're not against it on principle you could look up what items are there and if there's any reason to. The universally useful stuff isn't that deep in.

Also yeah High Wall is rather difficult and knights are basically minibosses at the beginning of the game. If you get to the bonfire you might want to try practicing fighting the knight to hone your reflexes for the game.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

I found that using my weapon art (straight sword stance) was effective against the high wall knights my first run. I believe katanas have a similar guard break move.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'm a pyromancer, or at least I fancy myself as one. I hear there are some truly ancient and obscure tomes within the ruins. I found a rather ominous one but my teacher refuses to teach me anything from it.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Charles Bukowski posted:

I'm a pyromancer, or at least I fancy myself as one. I hear there are some truly ancient and obscure tomes within the ruins. I found a rather ominous one but my teacher refuses to teach me anything from it.

I found two down there but yeah, he'll only teach you from one of them.There's another NPC later on that will teach you those.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Yeesh I am not very good at Dark Souls anymore. Been fighting Midir on NG+ on my Faith guy and several attacks basically one-shot me while un-embered. I spent over an hour on him yesterday and only once got him close to phase 2.

I'm having a far harder time than I had on my strength guy, even though I'm using a weapon with a very similar moveset (Swordspear, my strength guy was using the Splitleaf).

I'm baiting attacks, staying in front of him and generally I feel like I'm doing better and getting a real feel for all of his attacks, their timings and their ranges, but I inevitably get clipped by something really painful and die. I even took off my Lightning Clutch ring since he only takes about 800 damage from a critical Sunlight Spear to the face, and several attacks would 1-shot me from full health with it on.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'll be real. If you aren't pumping health and stamina to ludicrous levels, you're only making a soul games harder on yourself. Seriously, for fun my most recent guy has 50 in vigor and 40 in endurance and it's a blast. Taking crushing hits and still rolling like 12 times in a row like a huge dork is fun and good.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

In 3 it's really important to pump up both and early. You want at least 20/20 at deep and 30/30 going into irithyl

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Yeah, I generally go for 20 vig as soon as I can, then after I get some stats I go for 30 at around level 60. My faith guy who's getting gibbed by Midir has 35 vit and it's still not nearly enough. My stats are spread pretty thin since I have 35 vig, 24 attunement, 20 end, 20 vit (fashion is important), 20 str, 22 dex and 50+ faith.

I should just min-max it a bit more, since I don't really need 20 strength and I could probably get to level 140 and still have some pvp, but I think I'll stay at 125.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
fwiw I'm going through and trying to actually finish a DS1 playthrough and having entirely different sets of problems. Like the fact that I got all the way to AL without first grabbing even the Large Ember.

Also the fact that dodging in DS1 seems harder than even parrying in DS3. Just.. the timing feels incredibly screwy. Afaik there's some sort of startup delay on DS1 rolls while 2 and 3's rolls are active from frame 1, or something like that?

Also encumberance is utterly crushing in DS1 and it feels like I have to pour 30 levels into Endurance to be able to equip anything heavier than a dagger and a loincloth.

Also despite the hype the basscannon seems really underwhelming even at +10. Fuckers can go from circling around me with their shield up to closing the gap and stabbing me faster than I can start to swing the drat thing.

Also holy poo poo is humanity rare. DS3 just rains embers on you by comparison. Had to go all the way back from the inside of AL back through Sen's Funhouse through Parish and the first area to go back and kill Capra just so I could get a single lousy consumable humanity so I could kindle the inner AL bonfire.

Also gently caress Lautrec I am so kicking him off his perch next time around.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 5, 2017

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I'm trying to wrap up my first NG+ run and for some reason Nameless King keeps owning me. I beat Midir and Gale without too much hassle but this guy gets me every time. It's the opposite of how it went in NG.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sapozhnik posted:

fwiw I'm going through and trying to actually finish a DS1 playthrough and having entirely different sets of problems. Like the fact that I got all the way to AL without first grabbing even the Large Ember.

Also the fact that dodging in DS1 seems harder than even parrying in DS3. Just.. the timing feels incredibly screwy. Afaik there's some sort of startup delay on DS1 rolls while 2 and 3's rolls are active from frame 1, or something like that?

Also encumberance is utterly crushing in DS1 and it feels like I have to pour 30 levels into Endurance to be able to equip anything heavier than a dagger and a loincloth.

Also despite the hype the basscannon seems really underwhelming even at +10. Fuckers can go from circling around me with their shield up to closing the gap and stabbing me faster than I can start to swing the drat thing.

Also holy poo poo is humanity rare. DS3 just rains embers on you by comparison. Had to go all the way back from the inside of AL back through Sen's Funhouse through Parish and the first area to go back and kill Capra just so I could get a single lousy consumable humanity so I could kindle the inner AL bonfire.

Also gently caress Lautrec I am so kicking him off his perch next time around.

Encumbrance is the big bugaboo of DS1. Anything over 25% gets you the slight delay in rolling. What's your current encumbrance level?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't shoot for the fast roll in DS1 unless you're trying to play that kind of character, the medium roll is more than sufficient. The fast roll only has 2 more frames of invincibility and it covers less horizontal distance so it's worse for getting away/around enemies. Imo it's harder to time anyway.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Also vit and endurance are the same stat in ds1 so it's a no brainer to jack it up

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Low enough not to whomp on the ground and then stand up again when rolling. Carrying Grass Crest Shield and Zwei and basically nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Get the Dark Woodgrain Ring, then the game becomes amazing and hilarious