Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qubee
May 31, 2013

got my first squad chicken dinner. we were the only team out of the last 6 that had fully healed members. it was a really lucky game, but the fact we outnumbered everyone else by 2 or 3 members made it a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

The teamwork right now :captainpop:

http://multitwitch.tv/anthony_kongphan/grimmmz/

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Man dropped into north googleopolis but apparently everyone went warehouses i looted that place free for 10 minutes and was leaving with a fully kitted M4 + silencer + sniper attachments for whenever i found one and host closed connection :(

Can't wait for this game to be more stable

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

:rip:

:911:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What do you all think about this: make it so the kill feed shows deaths in bold if they happened within your quadrant, and have them as they normally appear if it happens anywhere else? I can kinda see it being abused, but it would be real helpful to know if that rando who died in the blue was the person I was clipping from a distance, or someone halfway across the map.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Pro tip, don't go head to head against a scar when you are using a UMP9 in a house, you will lose. I had my own Scar too, but thought the UMP9 could best it in close quarters. Turns out the higher fire rate and damage of the scar just poo poo on the ump.

Had level 3 helmet, and hit him in the neck, but he still took me out first. Not sure if it was lag that he got a bead on me first around the corner but that sucked.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hamelekim posted:

Pro tip, don't go head to head against a scar when you are using a UMP9 in a house, you will lose. I had my own Scar too, but thought the UMP9 could best it in close quarters. Turns out the higher fire rate and damage of the scar just poo poo on the ump.

Had level 3 helmet, and hit him in the neck, but he still took me out first. Not sure if it was lag that he got a bead on me first around the corner but that sucked.

A shotgun inside will make a grown man cry if he has a machine gun

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've shot people on three separate occasions with a pump action shotgun, point blank, and had them shrug it off. So now I don't bother with shotguns cause I always get wrecked with them

https://clips.twitch.tv/ImpossibleDrabFriseeKappa

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Hamelekim posted:

Yeah honestly this is why I hardly ever use SMGs. Rifles are better at range and close, shotguns are WAY better close. One benefit of SMGs is more common ammo and attachments though.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah honestly this is why I hardly ever use SMGs. Rifles are better at range and close, shotguns are WAY better close. One benefit of SMGs is more common ammo and attachments though.

Yeah, I'm kind of getting the idea that if you are going to go into a lot of houses, stick with a shotgun, otherwise go two rifles.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
https://clips.twitch.tv/TsundereRelatedHornetSoBayed

This was a chaotic ending.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
I don't normally get on the twitch train but man grimmz gets some work done. Shame I couldn't clip some of those on the cuff 98k headshots but

https://clips.twitch.tv/SteamyPiercingCroquetteTBCheesePull

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?
Do you guys ever queue up solo in squads with team matchmaking off? Example: you are alone and all other teams have 3-4 guys. If so, why? Does it help you improve your gameplay? Was just thinking earlier about possibly doing this for fun a time or two, but then considered it may actually benefit you skill-wise in the long run. Sorry if this has been covered but I can't will myself to read the whole thread.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't see how that would benefit you skill-wise. It's hard to actually make any headway when you're so outnumbered in almost every situation. You'll be getting suppressed and flanked without even being able to take someone out, unless you ambush them. I've been the sole survivor of my 4 man group, and I'll try and go out with a bang and ambush a 4-man squad running by in open cover. It barely ever ends well, I'll be able to down 1 at most before getting suppressed to poo poo and then zerg-rushed. And ultimately I know I didn't change a drat thing, as the guy I downed just gets revived.

You're better off just queueing solo and going to hot zones to improve gameplay / gun mechanics, like most people do. Queueing squads by your lonesome seems like it's a real masochistic experience.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Loopoo posted:

Queueing squads by your lonesome seems like it's a real masochistic experience.

Don't kink shame.

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Don't kink shame.

Lmao
Good points, I think you're right. That being said I have had squad mates by just good luck I guess be the lone survivor in the first five minutes and somehow manage to make it to the top ten. But yeah, that's pretty unrealistic to expect most of the time.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Don't kink shame.

you do you, boo. wasn't shaming, just stating a fact. I personally like to strip down and slather lotion all over myself whilst I play, and force enemies I've downed to moan into the mic for mercy. for every confirmed kill, I place one more clothes peg onto my turgid, basement-dwelling body.

Shuffleboard Shootout posted:

Lmao
Good points, I think you're right. That being said I have had squad mates by just good luck I guess be the lone survivor in the first five minutes and somehow manage to make it to the top ten. But yeah, that's pretty unrealistic to expect most of the time.

tbf making top ten isn't too difficult if you play super passive and the circles favour you. avoid the sound of gunshots, stick to cover, don't engage enemies unless you're forced to and try and run at the first chance you get. but boy you'd get insta-hosed if you got jumped by a squad you didn't spot. we got a chicken dinner with about 7 kills between the four of us and that was only near the end of the game when the circle was tiny. we just skulked about the entire game and avoided firefights.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 5, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Loopoo posted:

What do you all think about this: make it so the kill feed shows deaths in bold if they happened within your quadrant, and have them as they normally appear if it happens anywhere else? I can kinda see it being abused, but it would be real helpful to know if that rando who died in the blue was the person I was clipping from a distance, or someone halfway across the map.

This is a goddamn awful idea. Why should you get to know if that guy died if you didn't see it happen?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
People certainly do it though, usually in squad games we'll take out one or two loners. I dunno why they do that, perhaps they made a mistake. If someone really is going into squad games and doing well solo thats awesome and I'd love to see some twitch clips

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

2-man wrecking crew

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Shuffleboard Shootout posted:

Do you guys ever queue up solo in squads with team matchmaking off? Example: you are alone and all other teams have 3-4 guys. If so, why? Does it help you improve your gameplay? Was just thinking earlier about possibly doing this for fun a time or two, but then considered it may actually benefit you skill-wise in the long run. Sorry if this has been covered but I can't will myself to read the whole thread.

lirik was doing this a while back and won two games in a row, getting like 10 or 15 kills each game, it was an absolutely insane performance and he's definitely the best player I've seen. i think he had another solo squad game where he won with over 20 kills.

too bad he got bored of the game so quickly since it's just too easy for him (hence why he was solo queuing squad games in the first place)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amunLrcDkIg

well god drat

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/149650013

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Just in case anyone was still on the fence about the guide at http://www.144hzmonitors.com/games/best-settings-for-pubg-playerunknowns-battlegrounds/ I gained 20-30fps by just doing the Nvidia control panel steps.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

:hf:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Grimmmz makes it all look so easy :( The gunplay in this game royally fucks me in the rear end. Only way I can aim and land shots is if I'm stood still, so if me and another dude spot each other and start blasting shots, if I try and strafe, I miss 80% of the shots, whereas he manages to strafe and still riddle me with holes.

Any tips regarding that? Strafe, stop real quick to shoot a bullet, and carry on strafing? 3rd person spray? If I nail this, it'll make most of my encounters work in my favour, cause my aim is decent when I get the jump on a dude and I am able to land most shots, it's just in CQB that I get rolled on.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's hard to describe or anything, it's just janky as gently caress because Arma so just drop into heavy populated zones and get into a million firefights and slowly retrain yourself in the art of milsperg

then forget it all when someone does the same game but without the Arma fetish

but yeah, at distance use your sights and pretty much everything else is third person

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Loopoo posted:

That is giving too much information, going against the spirit of the game a bit.

I would however like it to be more apparent when a squad mate down or kills a guy, so we keep the radio traffic a bit more clear for important info. Maybe even an alert for when a squad mate goes down. In the heat of the moment it can be hard to keep track.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I've had a lot of luck in super-close quarters (like inside a house) just running up to dudes and spraying with automatic rifles. Maybe I'm just lucky, or it freaks 'em out or something.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

DiggityDoink posted:

Just in case anyone was still on the fence about the guide at http://www.144hzmonitors.com/games/best-settings-for-pubg-playerunknowns-battlegrounds/ I gained 20-30fps by just doing the Nvidia control panel steps.

Holy poo poo this made the game run so much more smoothly for me. I still get random bits of lag, but it's made such a difference in aiming not jumping around, so thanks for the link.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Bloodplay it again posted:

Third-person cameras also allow you to do bullshit like this pretty easily, which has been in the game since March and probably won't be fixed any time soon.

How do you even do this? Is it every game, or is it random?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

DiggityDoink posted:

I could not play this game with no anti-aliasing and minimum textures.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Buy a 10 series card, give no fucks for performance guides

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a 1060 and a i5 4590 and I still need to turn poo poo down to get a consistent baseline of 60fps that will still drop to around 50 in busy areas :(

E: AA is something I can't compromise on though, the jaggies make it so much more difficult to spot people.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
50 is totally fine, but you should have sprung for the 70

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Appoda posted:

So, what's everyone's strategies throughout the game? I feel like the best bet is to take what you know about the map and go to the highest good loot chances that is the furthest away from the plane flight path (but still within reach of the sky dive) so you have the best opportunity to get good stuff and a vehicle before mid game, without worrying too much about enemy players. At the same time, I like to get in the poo poo -- lately, I've just been dropping into towns right over the plane flight path to get into some early engagements, and if I make it, then I got some kills notched and probably some decent loot before mid game starts. If I get murdered, then whatever, I haven't invested that much time in that round.

My end game strategy is to either get shot by some jerk with a kar98 in the bushes, do donuts in a jeep until I get murdered, or die to the blue zone.

I'm still new to the game so this has been really interesting for me to see from people. I started out in that "terrified of everything, what the gently caress am I doing" mode, but by now I've gotten pretty good at picking low-competition chute spots somewhere mid-map enough to get good odds of having good circle luck and then stealthing my way into the top 10 the majority of the time (usually picking up ~1 kill). I'm definitely starting to feel the appeal of more aggressive early play, though--I don't feel like I'm suffering too bad for my gear (90% of my deaths feel like they come from awareness, not being out-shot), but it does mean that I'm racking up firefight skills more slowly than maybe I'd like.

I guess my issue is that it feels like early game firefights are all about safe building exploration and midgame firefights are all about extreme distance sniping, but what I do badly in is that last lategame bit where 8 people are all climbing the same hill, and neither nearly nor midgame firefighting skills really feel relevant any more.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Holy loving poo poo lol me and my buddy just chicken dinnered 3 times in a row in duos. Chicken dinners everywhere. Just gobbling them chickens up. It's probably because of the ladder reset but lmao we ran a rampage through those games.

Probably not a coincidence but we ran the same strategy 3 times in a row: drop into first floor school and kill everybody else there (usually 1-3 other groups), grab a car, then go to the house closest to the center of the circle and kill anybody in there (abusing third person camera each time). Last circle just outskill people with better shots. Over 10 kills between the two of us every game.

This game rules!!!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Zo posted:

Holy loving poo poo lol me and my buddy just chicken dinnered 3 times in a row in duos. Chicken dinners everywhere. Just gobbling them chickens up. It's probably because of the ladder reset but lmao we ran a rampage through those games.

Probably not a coincidence but we ran the same strategy 3 times in a row: drop into first floor school and kill everybody else there (usually 1-3 other groups), grab a car, then go to the house closest to the center of the circle and kill anybody in there (abusing third person camera each time). Last circle just outskill people with better shots. Over 10 kills between the two of us every game.

This game rules!!!

Congrats Grimmmz jr

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Zo posted:

It's probably because of the ladder reset but lmao we ran a rampage through those games.

You are truly king of the potato people...just kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Hey i'm under no illusion that we're anything more than above average players. Still, the stars aligned and 3 in a row felt pretty insane.

• Locked thread