Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

caleb posted:

A prep cook at a previous job told me once that rubbing coffee grounds in those sorts of cuts (not on blood thinners) makes them clot. Confirm/deny? I did not know it was mandoline with an e. I am an amateur.

He was either bullshitting you, or fell very hard for some bullshit himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Timby posted:

Now, this is the part where I point out that I'm on a weapons-grade blood thinner (enoxaparin) due to a blood clotting disorder.

My dad was on that for a while, due to aneurisms in the popliteal arteries in both his knees. Once we were out sighting in some rifles for deer season, and he screwed up and got bit across the bridge of his nose by the edge of the scope as the rifle recoiled. I've had that happen to me, it's like a shaving cut, you put some pressure on it and it's fine.

He had blood sheeting down his face for like 20 minutes, his shirt looked like he'd been shot. I can *barely* imagine your kitchen aftermath.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

caleb posted:

A prep cook at a previous job told me once that rubbing coffee grounds in those sorts of cuts (not on blood thinners) makes them clot. Confirm/deny? I did not know it was mandoline with an e. I am an amateur.

The best way to stop the bleeding is to jam your hand into the deep fryer. You will not be bleeding anymore.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
FYI industry weddings are amazing. Just sayin'

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The best way to stop the bleeding is to jam your hand into the deep fryer. You will not be bleeding anymore.

WHY YOU SAY THIS :c the mandoline image was bad enough

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That's some old Hispanic myth. Trust me they've tried it on me.

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The best way to stop the bleeding is to jam your hand into the deep fryer.

Any of this practical advice for the home cook? I do not have a deep fryer, but I do cut my self more than I should.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Skwirl posted:

That's dumb as hell

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

curufinor posted:

They sell chain mail gloves for mandolin safety

Worth their weight in gold for cleaning deli slicers, too.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
How do people cut themselves on a mandolin or slicer? Use a towel on the mandolin, and pay attention when cleaning the slicer.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Wanna go fast!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Then use a cut glove.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

caleb posted:

I don't know about all that, but finely ground white pepper actually works just like styptic powder (and as much as your brain says it probably should, it doesn't burn or hurt in any way).

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I've made a paste out of blood and flour and crammed it into a wound before... There's probably a lot of good reasons not to though.

My mando story:
I lived with 2 other dudes for a couple years and then the owners sold the house we were renting. We found another place but it was 4 br so we had to find a Craigslist roommate. Found a pretty cool kid, he was 21 and going to the local college. We were all 25-27 but sometimes it was cool to come home to a bunch of drunk 21 year old girls in the back yard. One day I get home from an am shift and there's a bbq going on. I volunteered to make coleslaw and got out my mandoline and started shredding cabbage and carrots. Nicked myself and went to throw a bandaid on it and as I return to the kitchen I see this drunk girl pick up the cabbage and the mandoline and with "NO" on my lips watched as she drunkenly shoved her fingers into the blade, and started bleeding alcohol-thinned blood everywhere and crying. After we got her patched up she passed out and peed on our couch. That's my mandoline story thank you.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Man how are mandolines allowed

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

How the gently caress else are you going to make coleslaw? Because it gets bloody it's a favorite topic, but there's a ton of poo poo that gets you hurt in restaurants. It's loving psychotic we let 16 year olds with almost no training use an espresso machine.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Mandolines are easy to not gently caress yourself up on. Wear a glove and use the guard and when you get to that last half inch of veg just toss it into the veg tray for stock.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Clearly 'don't go warp speed on the mandolin' is an unacceptable answer for some reason

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Our main night cook's definition of "sober" involves three beers and a Klonopin so I'm really, really glad we don't have a mandoline.

Same guy cooks up random concoctions in the queso pots after our GM leaves, usually involving some sort of tea + Kratom, crushed up Midol and/or raw cacao. He's tried to convince nearly everyone in the place to try this poo poo, to the point that one of the first things we tell new people is "yo, if Jared tries to get you to drink something, don't trust him. Never trust him."

He's my favorite cook though. :kimchi:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

that is super hosed up

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I take Klonopin for anxiety. poo poo is magical.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Yeah, he's actually prescribed the Adderall and Klonopin that is basically his lifeblood, but then adds literally anything he can get his hands on on top of it. A couple months ago he spent 45 minutes telling me about his Ketamine trip. I'm pretty sure he's only still alive because he's young and hasn't discovered he's not actually immortal yet

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheKennedys posted:

Yeah, he's actually prescribed the Adderall and Klonopin that is basically his lifeblood, but then adds literally anything he can get his hands on on top of it. A couple months ago he spent 45 minutes telling me about his Ketamine trip. I'm pretty sure he's only still alive because he's young and hasn't discovered he's not actually immortal yet

The transition from young and immortal to old and dying is very abrupt.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

How do people cut themselves on a mandolin or slicer? Use a towel on the mandolin, and pay attention when cleaning the slicer.

• be 17
  • have noone ever tell you to use a towel on your mandolin
  • go loving hogwild!

hahahahaha what

I know you're serious, but

what

ugh

(how do I get on this train??) :ssh:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

hahahahaha what

I know you're serious, but

what

ugh

(how do I get on this train??) :ssh:

Spend 5mins talking to your doctor, get scrip. At least that's how it went for me. Just said hey bro, been having anxiety/depression for as long as I can remember, haven't done anything about it, here are some examples. Okay, here's your scrip for some benzos, come back in 3 weeks and we'll see how it goes.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
My doctor prescribed me prozac to treat my anxiety and from now on I'll take that over kpins any day. It's stops you from having anxiety in the first place. Fuckin owns.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, mine wanted to put me on Prozac, but I'm taking nortriptyline for post concussion headaches, and you can't mix the two. Gonna a switch over in a few months once the headaches are gone.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Ah fair enough. Do what you gotta do broski.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Clearly 'don't go warp speed on the mandolin' is an unacceptable answer for some reason

We are a fairly popular brunch destination. We also frequently have 200+ person banquets on a Saturday during regular service at night. Occasionally some fucker will steal my mise for brunch or pm line because they're weeded and I only notice 20 minutes before plating because I'm busy doing other poo poo. Sometimes you cut the case of radishes and sometimes the case of radishes cuts you?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

What is it about summer that makes people order so many onion rings.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've never really noticed a difference in the amount ordered.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
what is it about summer that makes people order gumbo?

it's loving hot out.

stop ordering the heavy meat soup.

what the gently caress is wrong with you.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If there's anything I've ever learned it's that people don't know poo poo about anything

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
But standing around a roaring fire/a hot grill in the middle of summer is different, because:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

no snow

e: probably

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
one 14 hour day down and another one begins in 8 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! loving kill me please

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Naelyan posted:

what is it about summer that makes people order gumbo?

it's loving hot out.

stop ordering the heavy meat soup.

what the gently caress is wrong with you.

traditional korean dish to eat in the dog days of summer is a heavy meaty dog soup
you're supposed to sweat the heat out
this is loving stupid, you may have noticed

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Sweating heat out is a thing. Lots of farmhands eat jalapenos in the field because it makes you sweat, and sweating is the body's natural cooling mechanism.

In fact, the ability to sweat is what makes us such great hunters. We can literally chase something down nearly forever, and it'll just die of heat exhaustion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah I generally enjoy spicy poo poo in hot weather, and gumbo is usually served lukewarm anyways. I can get down on some cajun food (or soondubujjigae) any hot day of the week. at the very least, sweat theory aside, they're both liquidy and make you want to drink tons of water, which is perfect for being out and busting your rear end in the sun.

• Locked thread