Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Anyways, most people want to win. Throwers are a rarity and by their very nature they sink through the ranks, plus the old 5 vs. 6 rule applies -- if you're not throwing, the existence of throwers is to your statistical advantage in trying to climb.

For some reason people never seem to complain about enemy throwers violating the sanctity of competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

trying out paladins made me realize how annoying I find the queue times in overwatch

I refuse to believe more people are playing paladins at any point than overwatch but paladins queue times are like 5 seconds long for quick play. stop trying to find an even game, blizzard, because you never do anyway. it makes sense for comp, but qp? arcade? gently caress several minute queue times for that stuff

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the Overwatch matchmaking is pretty good and you get a reasonable number of balanced games.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have never once played with another person in overwatch who actually just killed themselves/fed all match

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

IronicDongz posted:

I have never once played with another person in overwatch who actually just killed themselves/fed all match

I have but generally in quickplay like the Torb who informed us all that turrets were against his religion and spent all game just using his gun and only making armor for himself.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

IronicDongz posted:

I had it once, an explicitly de-ranking torb.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I ran into my first thrower last night. He played Hanzo on Ilios and was asked by one of the other players in our team to switch to something else (to be fair, I wasn't getting the sense that he was being helpful, plus he kept insisting that I fly away from the point to heal him). Immediately after this he began to sit right outside spawn and spam arrows at a door until the game ended. He did this for the remaining 2 rounds. What a winner!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Montalvo posted:

I ran into my first thrower last night. He played Hanzo on Ilios and was asked by one of the other players in our team to switch to something else (to be fair, I wasn't getting the sense that he was being helpful, plus he kept insisting that I fly away from the point to heal him). Immediately after this he began to sit right outside spawn and spam arrows at a door until the game ended. He did this for the remaining 2 rounds. What a winner!

Sucks. I would like Blizz to start putting out some stats on reporting and bans.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
You can't even report people on PS4. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Mid diamond seems to be the landing spot for a lot of people going "Lol this is just a smurf bro" and then throwing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Montalvo posted:

Huh, I'm surprised there isn't some kind of system like Heroes has where if you just DON'T participate you get kicked after a certain amount of time. I know there is if you try and idle (I've gotten the warning before when laying down as Junkrat in the bushes near our flag in CTF)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Huh, I'm surprised there isn't some kind of system like Heroes has where if you just DON'T participate you get kicked after a certain amount of time

There is, but like any such system if you know the limits you can cheat it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There is, but like any such system if you know the limits you can cheat it.

I added a thing but yeah I know. But at least being forced to at least attack the other team would help in that regard

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I added a thing but yeah I know. But at least being forced to at least attack the other team would help in that regard

I'm fairly certain there's a second timer for interacting with the enemy team, as well! If you look at old Hanjo videos there's one where they almost run afoul of it while trying to bring a basketball all the way to the point.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Have you done a quantitative study of throwers in games of Overwatch or are you giving me poo poo for doing the exact same thing you are. :what:

I'm not sure how saying "some people likely have more negative experiences than others, and the latter does not cancel out the former" is the same thing as saying "the system balances out, having bad luck is literally impossible".

lovely things happen to players all the time, and maybe "well, it doesn't happen to me, so" isn't exactly a helpful attitude?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bleck posted:

I'm not sure how saying "some people likely have more negative experiences than others, and the latter does not cancel out the former" is the same thing as saying "the system balances out, having bad luck is literally impossible".

lovely things happen to players all the time, and maybe "well, it doesn't happen to me, so" isn't exactly a helpful attitude?

"Bad luck happens" is a different statement from "matchmaking is fundamentally broken because it keeps queuing me with lovely people," though.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I think the thing I hate most
in this game is a good keep-away Pharah :argh:

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I swear my team got wiped (except me) by a reaper ult while I had my matrix on him for about the entire ult.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kai Tave posted:

"Bad luck happens" is a different statement from "matchmaking is fundamentally broken because it keeps queuing me with lovely people," though.

It is, but I think that they're related - the way I see it, the value of the system's skill appraisals depreciates when you acknowledge the fact that one can randomly have a lovely game through little to no fault of their own, then further when you acknowledge the fact that one can randomly have several lovely games through little to no fault of their own, then further still when you realize that there must therefore be people who are higher or lower than where their "skill" would actually land them. It follows, then, that it's possible to have games where bad players win because they were paired with good (but unlucky players), raising their rank above where it should, presumably, actually be, or etc.

Maybe I'm just visualizing this whole process wrong, but everyone seems to come to the conclusion that your performance will "average out" based on your own skill, but that seems to be based on assumptions about how the system works, or how often people must take the game seriously, or their own anecdotal experiences with the game. I don't deny that I'm not a fantastic player and I'm always trying to improve, but more than half of my games feeling like "there is literally nothing I could have done here" makes my faith in the system a bit shoddy.

Like, I lost points for that game where literally my whole team left right as the second round started. I didn't even get the opportunity to do anything! It felt baaad!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bleck posted:

It is, but I think that they're related - the way I see it, the value of the system's skill appraisals depreciates when you acknowledge the fact that one can randomly have a lovely game through little to no fault of their own, then further when you acknowledge the fact that one can randomly have several lovely games through little to no fault of their own, then further still when you realize that there must therefore be people who are higher or lower than where their "skill" would actually land them. It follows, then, that it's possible to have games where bad players win because they were paired with good (but unlucky players), raising their rank above where it should, presumably, actually be, or etc.

Maybe I'm just visualizing this whole process wrong, but everyone seems to come to the conclusion that your performance will "average out" based on your own skill, but that seems to be based on assumptions about how the system works, or how often people must take the game seriously, or their own anecdotal experiences with the game. I don't deny that I'm not a fantastic player and I'm always trying to improve, but more than half of my games feeling like "there is literally nothing I could have done here" makes my faith in the system a bit shoddy.

Like, I lost points for that game where literally my whole team left right as the second round started. I didn't even get the opportunity to do anything! It felt baaad!

On the other hand it's just as possible to have a perfectly fair and balanced game where everyone on both teams is rarin' to go and good sports and wouldn't ever think of leaving...and you lose anyway, not because you got outplayed but because you failed to get enough sleep. Or because you pulled a muscle earlier in the day and it's messing with your concentration. Or your reflexes that day are just more sluggish than they normally are. Or a zillion other factors that are just as likely to influence the winning or losing of a video game than random shitters which somehow always wind up in my games all the time etc. etc. If it's not reasonable to expect a digital matchmaking algorithm to account for factors like that, it's just as unreasonable to expect it to take things like "this dude stripped a gear and decided he'd rather purposely lose the video game."

You do average out based on your own skill. You're right that at any given point there are people who are below or above what their rank "should" be due to statistical variance, but unlike simply flipping a coin playing a video game isn't simply an exercise in random chance and so presuming that you're always playing at a level that's roughly where you belong then yes, over a long enough string of games played you should zero in on your rank sooner or later give or take some fluctuation up and down (because you're never going to hold precisely steady due to all the aforementioned random factors). With as many people who play the game, even taking into account that not literally every person who plays Overwatch is into comp, it's vanishingly unlikely that there exists a person whose luck overrides their skill to the point that they truly belong in diamond but can't climb out of silver because of "elo hell." If dealing with the vagaries of random assholes on the internet is too frustrating to deal with than online multiplayer games may not be for you but nobody yet has ponied up tangible, demonstrable proof that the matchmaker is somehow fundamentally broken in a way that leads to players not being able to reach the level they belong at in either direction. I can acknowledge that someone's anecdotal experience sucks a bunch but if their takeaway from a run of bad luck is "this game is broken and everyone who says otherwise is blowing hot air" then welp.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bleck posted:

Your performance will average out, eventually, but it will take a long time and a lot of games because you were never more than 1/12th of the factors going into any given game. Less than 1/12th if you want to get super technical, even, since map selection is random.

The existence of unwinnable games -- or more often, games that would take a massive shift in your quality of play, rather than a slight one -- are something you have to get used to if you're playing a game with variance (whether it's in the form of randomness or teammates or whatever.) If you focus on the ones you could have won by making small changes, that's how you'll improve. And those games absolutely do exist.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 5, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Your performance will average out, eventually, but it will take a long time and a lot of games because you were never more than 1/12th of the factors going into any given game. Less than 1/12th if you want to get super technical, even, since map selection is random.

The existence of unwinnable games -- or more often, games that would take a massive shift in your quality of play, rather than a slight one -- are something you have to get used to if you're playing a game with variance (whether it's in the form of randomness or teammates or whatever.) If you focus on the ones you could have won by making small changes, that's how you'll improve. And those games absolutely do exist.
poo poo, even ignoring the direct effects, there's simple interactions that cause some weird swings. Take for instance the idea that my best character is Pharah. If there isn't someone at the top of my eligible play rank with Widow, McCree, or S76, I'm going to have a decent game no matter how good the other team is at their nominally best characters. If there is a Widow or S76 that is noticeably mechanically better than me I'm proper hosed, and then I have to switch to my second best character, which is a pretty poor Zarya. I can do ok with her, but nothing like the tears I can (at my tier) go on with Pharah. If there is someone on the other team who is higher ranked than me and has a really mean counter to Pharah, I'm in trouble. If not, it doesn't matter what the best player on their team has if they don't have an effective counter to Pharah. Because, ultimately, these are pick-up games based on rank rather than a pro comp where not only do they run a good comp, they select for skill in that comp. Random comp games don't select for two players with high times in support classes, they just select for even rankings across both teams. If that means one team has good use of supports and tanks and the other is all high-ranking pubstar DPSs, well, it was theoretically a balanced game despite the matchmaker not taking preferred role into account at all.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sometimes you get a torb main who's running at the enemy team swinging his hammer, sometimes the enemy team is stuck with a reluctant Lucio as the sole healer, sometimes you get the Tracer on coffee and meth who can't stop sticking 3-man pulse bombs, sometimes the enemy Roadhog is literally immortal. Not only does the enemy team have as much of a chance to get stuck with an unworkable comp, if you yourself are flexible and not a troll, the odds should be in your favor. And sometimes you lose a dozen games in a row for no apparent reason. Thing is, once you come back to the game, the enemies you fight are going to be lower skilled than the enemies you "should" be fiighting.

The system has flaws and all but it works well enough for that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The tryhard thread has a number of high-rank players (masters through top 500) who've noted that it's increasingly difficult to smurf these days, that even on a fresh account if you're playing at that level you get shunted there within like 10-12 games, the system is accurate enough to not let someone playing at GM level stay around gold/plat and endlessly clown on people as it scratches its head going "but why is this happening, I just don't understand."

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i just bought an alt account to play with my bronze/silver irl buddies in comp, my first few levels in qp were against low level players but by level 6 (after getting a 9 solo kill card as zen) i was getting put against the usual diamond/masters players

gonna go to arcade and be a total clown the rest of the way to level 25 now

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I was pretty proud of this one: https://gfycat.com/AcademicWillingAnemonecrab

It kind of encapsulates the entire Genji life cycle in 15 seconds:
    - farm ult off tanks like a coward
    - drop on unsuspecting supports from above
    - OH GOD SOLDIER'S ULTING PRESS E
    - always kill the Mercy

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ehud posted:

Yeah I don't let anyone force me off the characters I play well anymore. I don't even understand the logic behind it.

"Lucio, can you go Ana?"

Like those two skill sets are totally different. Why do you think I can just pick up Ana with 0 play time?

Honestly, its not unreasonable to expect people to be able to swap between the core healers, especially if you're a a support main. Lucio and Ana are two heroes that everyone who plays healers should know because then you're pretty much covered for 90% of situations.

Like my main tank is Roadhog, but i'll happily play Zarya/Rein/Winston because they're all useful and sometimes other people won't know how to play them. Its good to be able to fill like that.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

dogstile posted:

Honestly, its not unreasonable to expect people to be able to swap between the core healers, especially if you're a a support main. Lucio and Ana are two heroes that everyone who plays healers should know because then you're pretty much covered for 90% of situations.

Like my main tank is Roadhog, but i'll happily play Zarya/Rein/Winston because they're all useful and sometimes other people won't know how to play them. Its good to be able to fill like that.

In an ideal world I would be able to swap between all four healers, but the difference in play style and skill sets for those two heroes is especially massive.

It's really not the same as swapping between tanks.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I just got back to playing this after taking a break (seasons 3 and 4). I'm seeing a huge amount of games where one or both teams are picking both Lucio and Mercy. Is this the new meta?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ehud posted:

In an ideal world I would be able to swap between all four healers, but the difference in play style and skill sets for those two heroes is especially massive.

It's really not the same as swapping between tanks.

Why not? Roadhog and Zarya are massively different skillsets to Rein. All three of those are massively different to Winston.

Disclaimer: I play all four of those tanks, both the healers I mentioned and pharah/soldier/tracer in comp pretty regularly. Sometimes switching is good. A lucio is never going to be good at healing in combination with a zen, so what do you do if you get put onto a team with a zen/lucio main as the other healer?

Flexing is good and fun.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
If ya want me to heal, ya get Lucio or Zen. If ya don't like my pick you can heal.

I got eight or so heros I'm good at, and more importantly, have fun playing. I'm playing to have fun and no amount of whining at me will change that fact.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Lucio is probably the most fun healing class character I've ever played in a fps.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

dogstile posted:

Why not? Roadhog and Zarya are massively different skillsets to Rein. All three of those are massively different to Winston.

Disclaimer: I play all four of those tanks, both the healers I mentioned and pharah/soldier/tracer in comp pretty regularly. Sometimes switching is good. A lucio is never going to be good at healing in combination with a zen, so what do you do if you get put onto a team with a zen/lucio main as the other healer?

Flexing is good and fun.

I go Mercy.

I don't know if you appreciate how hard it is to play Ana well if you aren't a great shot.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ehud posted:

I go Mercy.

I don't know if you appreciate how hard it is to play Ana well if you aren't a great shot.

Ana's hard to play and with all the nerfs she's received, and given the nerfs she may not get enough oomph from being good at her. Even at high levels Ana's winrate only barely gets over 50%, and below that it actually languishes a fair bit below that. A great Ana is pretty good, while a trash tier Ana is beyond useless. Meanwhile I'd say a great Mercy is probably even better than a great Ana these days.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Rez still builds too fast. It's extremely annoying.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Slime posted:

Ana's hard to play and with all the nerfs she's received, and given the nerfs she may not get enough oomph from being good at her. Even at high levels Ana's winrate only barely gets over 50%, and below that it actually languishes a fair bit below that. A great Ana is pretty good, while a trash tier Ana is beyond useless. Meanwhile I'd say a great Mercy is probably even better than a great Ana these days.

Absolutely not. Ana brings so much more to the table - and on a more reliable basis than mercy's resurrection- that it's not even close.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Star posted:

Absolutely not. Ana brings so much more to the table - and on a more reliable basis than mercy's resurrection- that it's not even close.

While I agree with Ana bringing way more to the table Mercy is still far far easier and more popular on ps4 in my experience. poo poo I see resurrect about 3-5 times a game whereas nano-boost maybe twice every other game. Checking the current competitive leaderboards and I've seen 7 Mercy's to only 3 Ana's in the top 50 players. Then the most popular tank is Roadhog at 22/50 with Reinhardt and Zarya coming up in second place at 12/50.

Edit: Also teabagging has gotten super popular in quickplay again for some reason.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 5, 2017

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh, on console Ana is loving awful. No aim assist means you're missing a ton of shots you'd hit if it was an enemy you're aiming at so that throws lots of people off. Mercy is super popular on console for that reason alone.

But aside from that, playing Ana effectively is pretty good. Being able to burstheal your team is amazing and nanoblade/visor will win 90% of teamfights.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Eh I wouldn't say she's awful. Just monumentally more difficult to use than the other three. Guy I play with is in high plat using her without aim assist. Yeah I know plat is middle of the road in terms of competitive ranking but still it's impressive in a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's good to play a lot of classes effectively. Doesn't mean I'm gonna be good at playing all those classes, because I'm bad. Hell, I'll go DPS if I really need to, but I'm poo poo at aiming, you don't want me on McCree.