Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Phoix posted:

I think the current ban, as written with no outside context, is likely constitutional and I can't see the majority of sitting judges acknowledging Trump's tweets and interviews.
I don't think the constitutionality, in a vacuum, is all that controversial. It's a substantial leap from that to "still constitutional given obvious discriminatory intent".

CommieGIR posted:

No. Because even Conservative judges on the Lower Courts have already said he's blown his own orders out of the water with his own tweets and claims. I doubt even the most conservative judge on the SCOTUS is going to ignore obvious pretense of what Trump and his allies say versus what the order says.

In fairness, that's literally what Gorsuch will do. Likely Alito as well. That still doesn't get you to 5 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Jeff Sessions' DoJ deemed insufficiently racist. I'm now very confident that I'm dreaming and will wake up soon.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CommieGIR posted:

Well, that is a special exception.

I dunno, man. The SCOTUS is clearly partisan in nature, and I doubt it has the same discipline and rigor as lower level state and federal judges. It's a completely different beast from real judges, and I don't trust it to actually uphold the values of justice.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Paracaidas posted:

In fairness, that's literally what Gorsuch will do. Likely Alito as well. That still doesn't get you to 5 though.

Agreed, but I suspect Alito and Gorsuch will try to frame it as 'Well, its an Executive Branch right to enforce it that way' to try to cover their shame.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Zil posted:

I know you meant dark, but putting all those fucks someplace dank and watch as the drugs take hold would be some great entertainment.

You goddamn moron

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Me and my friend made a song, partly based on this thread. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldyrNEZIMJM

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Pollyanna posted:

I dunno, man. The SCOTUS is clearly partisan in nature, and I doubt it has the same discipline and rigor as lower level state and federal judges. It's a completely different beast from real judges, and I don't trust it to actually uphold the values of justice.

It's effectively the same court we had for the majority of Obama's tenure.

Also you may have the least appropriate username of anyone I've ever seen

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/Hadas_Gold/status/871704453224824834

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Remember how someone here mentioned knowing what gym Richard Spencer went to?

They kicked him out.

Just some little good feelings for the morning.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Actually weather reports are accurate far more often than they're wrong.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

mynnna posted:

They kicked him out.

This is excellent

Corny fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 5, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mendrian posted:

Short term ones tend to be accurate, long term models are more questionable, but yes.

But this doesn't matter, its another poor attempt to conflate weather with climate.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Paracaidas posted:

I don't think the constitutionality, in a vacuum, is all that controversial.

Isn't it? We ban actual immigration nonstop all the time for all sorts of reasons but there isn't very many cases of banning all visas. Like we had a whole thing with the USSR where you could get a visa as a tourist but it was illegal to visit the south because the US was so mad they made fun of how racist we were.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Isn't it? We ban actual immigration nonstop all the time for all sorts of reasons but there isn't very many cases of banning all visas. Like we had a whole thing with the USSR where you could get a visa as a tourist but it was illegal to visit the south because the US was so mad they made fun of how racist we were.

I think that's the general problem Trump will have with defending it: Its almost unprecedented and entirely transparent.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

As an American meteorologist, I say gently caress this on many levels.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mynnna posted:

They kicked him out.

So much for the tolerant lift.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

:wow:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Rex Tillerson is a loving embarassment. He has zero influence on Trump and zero control over his own department. He's basically Sean Spicer with a Texas accent at this point.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

You bastard I was taking a drink when I read that

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Elotana posted:

Rex Tillerson is a loving embarassment. He has zero influence on Trump and zero control over his own department. He's basically Sean Spicer with a Texas accent at this point.

None of them have any control of him because he doesn't have any shame or self-restraint, the usual things you use to control people, and the GOP is too cowardly/complicit to use any actual power on him.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

You bastard I was taking a drink when I read that

It's good you're a janitor then.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Mendrian posted:

It became "common knowledge" 40-50 years ago that weather reports were always inaccurate. (They weren't, but they were wrong much more often than they are today).

So even though it's not really true anymore, some people still know it in their heart.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Chilichimp posted:

lmao

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Workplace shooting in Orlando with multiple fatalities. No other details.

Anyway lol at Trump undermining his own court case on Twitter like that. Can't wait for his lawyers to still have to argue that its not a Ban.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Phoix posted:

I hope I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the only way the ban dies in SCOTUS is if they amend the constitution to include Trump's thoughts.

There's too much evidence it was just a muslim ban, trumps words, press statements, etc. On top of that the ban's original duration would have run through and they should have had their vetting procedures in place, but as far as i can tell they have made no changes to how vetting works in the US which means they haven't even bothered to try to revise it. If scotus validates it i would be surprised and it would be blatantly partisan hackery instead of the more traditional hidden partisan hackery.

I want to believe it won't pass but i also have a hard time putting faith in GOP dog judges.

theflyingorc posted:

It became "common knowledge" 40-50 years ago that weather reports were always inaccurate. (They weren't, but they were wrong much more often than they are today).

So even though it's not really true anymore, some people still know it in their heart.

Like bad restaurant reviews a bad forecast sticks in the mind more than an accurate one

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's gonna be a disgruntled postal worker, and we will all get the nostalgic warm and fuzzies for a simpler time.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/871722020278587393

What about all those positions you haven't even provided nominees for?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

There Bias Two posted:

He doesn't even need Democrats to vote for his appointees.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
This feels like the openly racist gerrymandering NC did that got struck down, where the court basically says, "We'll go along with *almost* anything you want as long as you don't make it THAT obvious that it's racism, you idiots." Basically giving the people they ruled against the blueprint for writing a law that won't get struck down and does 99% of what they wanted anyway.

Trump will be too stupid to take the hint if they do that and will just flip out.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Gonna be a white guy.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sinteres posted:

He doesn't even need Democrats to vote for his appointees.

Dems can impact committee hearings but yes they dont' need them for voting them in.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lol he just couldn't help himself, he just had to tweet absolute confirmation that the courts should look at the first travel ban and link it to the weaker one they're actually looking at. God his legal team must hate him so much, but he thinks this Qatar stuff backs up his ban so he's gleefully trashing on people on twitter.

Please god let his tweets once again be part of the reason for his failure.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyway lol at Trump undermining his own court case on Twitter like that. Can't wait for his lawyers to still have to argue that its not a Ban.

I already know the answer but how could anyone on his staff let this happen? All it would take would be one semi-intelligent staffer to check his tweet before he posts it to see this was a BAD IDEA. Hell, if they can't keep the phone out of his hands at least have a staffer tasked with watching his feed and issuing a "What he meant to say was..." tweet within minutes.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh precious katana posted:

Me and my friend made a song, partly based on this thread. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldyrNEZIMJM

This thread moves pretty fast, but take some time to listen to this song because it's really good.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like we had a whole thing with the USSR where you could get a visa as a tourist but it was illegal to visit the south because the US was so mad they made fun of how racist we were.

Wait what?

That is interesting, do you happen to have any articles about that?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Retro42 posted:

I already know the answer but how could anyone on his staff let this happen? All it would take would be one semi-intelligent staffer to check his tweet before he posts it to see this was a BAD IDEA. Hell, if they can't keep the phone out of his hands at least have a staffer tasked with watching his feed and issuing a "What he meant to say was..." tweet within minutes.

He lies to his staff, as the article about him misleading his national security team about his NATO speech proved. He does what he wants, and acts out when people try to stop him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
He's really on a roll this morning, I wonder what pissed him off.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Crain posted:

Fuckin wow.

This is right into the face of all the namby pamby "hurrr, why matter if he don't say the magic words" fucktards. Cosmoline-in-chief loving deleted the reaffirmation of Article 5 and I'm taking that as 100% proof of him planning on either pulling out of or trying to disband NATO.

That approach is kind of infuriating because these are largely the people who spent the last 8 years going, 'Why won't he say radical Islamic terrorism? Not using that phrase is a clear sign that he's weak on terrorism and emboldens them.' Then Trump refuses to publicly affirm article 5 and they're going 'well look what's important is what's happening behind the scenes, you can't communicate a policy with a simple magic phrase' (this also totally ignores the fact that counter terrorism experts advised against using the term Islamic terrorism and very much are not saying that we should avoid affirming Article 5 to pacify Russia).

Also calling the SC case as 6-3 with Alito and Gorsuch arguing that because the plain language of the law doesn't say Muslim ban it's fine and Thomas arguing that as Twitter was not a communication medium at the time of the Constitution's writing that legally Trump never made any declarations that lawyers can analyse.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

There Bias Two posted:

this man is such an embarrassment, good god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He's really on a roll this morning, I wonder what pissed him off.

He sees what a complete loving failure his presidency is and is in deep denial about it.

• Locked thread