Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shifty Pony posted:

Verizon did send him a text to let him know someone was on the phone with Verizon making changes to the account, but the "not you? call us immediately" number is only staffed weekdays 8am-11PM.

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Did 1password really drop it, or did they just make it harder to find? I'm still synching mine with icloud.. I did have someone from agilebits online help me figure it out, though

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

bobfather posted:

I can't wholeheartedly endorse 1Password anymore, because I don't agree with their recent decisions to remove external cloud sync and local vault capability and move to a subscription-only model, BUT they're basically the only password manager aside from Keepass that hasn't been sabered open by Tavis like a cheap bottle of Brut.

Edit: to express my displeasure with AgileBits, here's an effortpost to use 1Password for free with Windows with Dropbox sync intact:

1. Uninstall 1Password6 if you have any version installed past 6.4.377

2. Download version 6.3.359 directly from AgileBits and install it.

3. Set up sync with at least one vault via Dropbox, OneDrive, or whatever you want to use.

4. Download version 6.4.377 directly from AgileBits and upgrade your previous install.

5. Never upgrade past that, and you'll maintain DropBox sync. Automatic sync is non-existent or unreliable, so you have to manually trigger a sync through options. Also, you can't edit or add vault entries. But if you sync multiple vaults it's nicer than 1Password 4, and the interface is consistent with the rest of the 1Password ecosystem.

Also, AgileBits alleges that they dropped Dropbox support because DropBox will be changing APIs soon (or, they already have). Time will tell if this method continues to work, but I have a feeling they're full of poo poo and dropped external cloud support to pimp their own product. They're so evasive about it on their forums it must be true.

so much more user friendly than keepass

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

my 1password still syncs with dropbox and i haven't changed or cjd anything; also, the user experience seems fine

autofill is a bit creepy but it only works when the software's unlocked, and i lock it when i'm not using it so :shrug:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

geonetix posted:

Did 1password really drop it, or did they just make it harder to find? I'm still synching mine with icloud.. I did have someone from agilebits online help me figure it out, though

at the very least they have been updating their iOS app to support the new API.

I wonder if in addition to the cash grab companies are worried about the possibility for Dropbox to start to charge them for API access in a post-IPO future. I've noticed a number of apps switching away from Dropbox based sync to their own proprietary cloud sync.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Shifty Pony posted:

I wonder if in addition to the cash grab companies are worried about the possibility for Dropbox to start to charge them for API access in a post-IPO future

i'm honestly surprised this hasn't happened already

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

geonetix posted:

All 1Password 6 Windows versions past 6.4.377 disable external cloud sync. The software will prompt you that it's converting your Dropbox-sync'ed vault to a local-only vault, then upsell you on their monthly service.

iOS, Mac, and Android 1Pass still have Dropbox sync baked in. 1Password 4 can sync with any local vault, so you can use it with whatever cloud sync service of your choosing.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

report: just used keepass to login to something

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i still use 1password v4 :shrug:

wifi sync is nice

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i use the subscription model 1password and like it

they even added a travel mode that deletes your vaults while you are crossing the border and restores them once you are in your new country
edit: https://support.1password.com/travel-mode/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I use safari keychain

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Last Chance posted:

I use safari keychain

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Last Chance posted:

I use safari keychain

:same:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

everyone knows hackers only work 9-5 weekdays

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/interviews/interview-james-lyne/

conveniently, nary a word was mentioned about him falsifying his honourary doctorate

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

duTrieux. posted:

report: just used keepass to login to something

i am hacking u right now

exit: your password is *********

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

flakeloaf posted:

the browser plugin gives some people uncomfortable feelings

i think sync via dropbox is gone and it's now 'sync via our server for as long as you subscribe' or something

its there still, but theyre pushing the web solution

geonetix posted:

i dunno, their ios patch notes imply theyre switching to the new dropbox API

Shifty Pony posted:

at the very least they have been updating their iOS app to support the new API.

yeah, it sounds more like a patch broke it accidentally

bobfather posted:

All 1Password 6 Windows versions past 6.4.377 disable external cloud sync. The software will prompt you that it's converting your Dropbox-sync'ed vault to a local-only vault, then upsell you on their monthly service.

iOS, Mac, and Android 1Pass still have Dropbox sync baked in. 1Password 4 can sync with any local vault, so you can use it with whatever cloud sync service of your choosing.

oh lame, i suppose you could use dropbox and point to the local folder but thats a dodgy inconsistency. the windows version has always been a bit gimpy. a shame since the apple experience is so refined and the android one was good and pretty similar to the ios experience

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
they're saying that british airways outage wasn't an infosec fuckup

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Last Chance posted:

I use icloud keychain

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
owns https://twitter.com/B_Meson/status/870819485590188033

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jewel
May 2, 2009

holy poo poo holy poo poo :shittypop:

Accidentally destroyed production database on first day of a job, and was told to leave, on top of this i was told by the CTO that they need to get legal involved, how screwed am i?

https://np.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/6ez8ag/accidentally_destroyed_production_database_on/

Default details for prod environment left in new starter guide (told to replace manually with your own) and then told to run a script that wipes everything. 10000% not this dude's fault

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jewel posted:

Accidentally destroyed production database on first day of a job, and was told to leave, on top of this i was told by the CTO that they need to get legal involved, how screwed am i?

https://np.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/6ez8ag/accidentally_destroyed_production_database_on/

Default details for prod environment left in new starter guide (told to replace manually with your own) and then told to run a script that wipes everything. 10000% not this dude's fault

lomarf ?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

just restore from backup like you do in those regular tests

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jewel posted:

that's real fuckin lovely, that kid moved across the country for that job

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

this is cool

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jewel posted:

Good story, but it's almost too perfect. Still lol as gently caress though.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jewel posted:

how real is this

how real is anything on the internet https://twitter.com/_peachyyyyy/status/870825235532075008

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

someone turned them all to ones

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

heathrow is having major computer problem, wouldn't be surprised if it's related to the wannacry stuff

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/868404776790306817

wannacry would have been funny but what actually happened was much, much dumber

quote:

The Times reports that the datacenter shutdown was triggered by a contractor accidentally switching off the power supply.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

One of the datacenters I support had pretty much all the power miswired and defective UPS systems, it blacked out like clockwork for three months each time they had a scheduled generator test

Someone finally got them to stop testing the generators after the third time :downs:

It sounds like British Airways probably had 400V three-phase power as well, which can lead to spectacular fireworks if the neutral wire is disconnected by accident and each phase is unevenly loaded because power supplies designed for 100-240V can end up seeing 300-400V.

I used to think three-phase was cool until it blew up one of our enterprise storage arrays from a poor neutral connection to the power distribution rail.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

r u ready to WALK posted:

One of the datacenters I support had pretty much all the power miswired and defective UPS systems, it blacked out like clockwork for three months each time they had a scheduled generator test

Someone finally got them to stop testing the generators after the third time :downs:

It sounds like British Airways probably had 400V three-phase power as well, which can lead to spectacular fireworks if the neutral wire is disconnected by accident and each phase is unevenly loaded because power supplies designed for 100-240V can end up seeing 300-400V.

I used to think three-phase was cool until it blew up one of our enterprise storage arrays from a poor neutral connection to the power distribution rail.

i'm the pahse

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jewel posted:

counterpoint: we're a company and have lawyers, also gently caress you

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hitze posted:

someone turned them all to ones

so that's how hackers can turn your computer into a bomb, finally someone figured it out

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

this is cool but i'm bothered by the setup that uses a 12V to 120V inverter to then power two 5 DC barrel jack plugs :colbert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

this is cool but i'm bothered by the setup that uses a 12V to 120V inverter to then power two 5 DC barrel jack plugs :colbert:

that was the first thing i noticed about it

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
help thread I am the security fuckup

I've been assigned to create a centralized password manager for the IT/Development department and I need to figure out what to do. Right now I'm leaning towards using KeepAss on a shared network drive with a key file. Does anyone have any experience setting up something like this? Is there a better or preferred solution? For reference we will be storing passwords to our task servers and AWS in the manager.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
an excel document in a one drive 365 folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
a prominent whiteboard

• Locked thread