Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

dragon enthusiast posted:

im the fried squid

I'm the Takoyaki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Takoroka, the other sports brand.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Inklings, you know better than to dress like the CEO of a game company.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Good, the orange and blue shoes are back.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Here is the new and old Forge gear.

Now you can Stay Freash with your on Forge headphones/headset,

goes perfect with the online Splatoon 2 chat app and Nintendo Switch.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm getting that loving headset.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
drat, they're really banking on the game with those cans.

They're probably complete utter shite audio quality wise, but want.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lmao I have an iPhone 7 so that setup is gonna suck for me

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bizarre deformity posted:

Lmao I have an iPhone 7 so that setup is gonna suck for me

Double dongle days are here

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Am I crasy or did they reconfirm not that long ago that this whole headset setup is just for communicating with people that are on your team and also on your friends list?

If that's the case, I can see why they'd go in this whole Y-cable direction: the majority of users won't ever use this specialty setup with any sort of frequency, so there's no use reserving CPU cycles for a 4-user skype chat when the game is already really starved for those. It's cool that they even attempted to offer some kind of solution on their own though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would probably buy that where can I buy that hurry before I again become sane

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Gimbal lock posted:

Am I crasy or did they reconfirm not that long ago that this whole headset setup is just for communicating with people that are on your team and also on your friends list?

If that's the case, I can see why they'd go in this whole Y-cable direction: the majority of users won't ever use this specialty setup with any sort of frequency, so there's no use reserving CPU cycles for a 4-user skype chat when the game is already really starved for those. It's cool that they even attempted to offer some kind of solution on their own though.

Yup, it has been confirmed time and time again that you only get to chat with your friend list inhabitants.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/870248575212544001

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

I can think of no reason why an arena shooter with no AI is hurting for CPU time

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LethalGeek posted:

I can think of no reason why an arena shooter with no AI is hurting for CPU time

I don't​ know if this is a serious post, but I'd imagine most arena shooters dont make the CPU process where ten zillion drops of ink land and coordinate that information with seven other CPUs

I am totally not any kind of computers expert though

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The ink is all predetermined patterns starting from a point so there isn't a ton of crazy math to have to be done there. Enough that good thing there are 4 CPUs but adding voice chat processing would use 1-2% of one core which some fraction of one is reserved for the OS anyway, least assuming this is like every other console in the last 10 years.

It's not they couldn't do it, they simply didn't want to. Some mix of rando voice talk means some parent is going to get mad that their 5yo got called a human being, not wanting/able to use bluetooth audio for some reason, and "wait how do we handle docked vs portable" thrown in. And/or Nintendo is just dumb about these things :v:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

So the headset needs to get the game audio from the Switch but run incoming/outgoing voice audio through the phone, so it has a Y-adapter to connect to both.

That is definitely... one way to do voice chat.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
It'll be interesting to see if the dongle is optional or mandatory to use.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rexroom posted:

It'll definitely be optional and is just a way to get audio and voice chat through a headset at once. You can most likely can just wear a headset for voice chat only and listen to game audio come out of the system or TV.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Rexroom posted:

The dongle seems to be just a 2-In to 1-Out combining thing. You'd need it to get sound from your phone and your Switch through the headphones at the same time, but other than that probably not.

I'll probably never use the voice chat app, but I might pick one of those headsets up just so I can have headphones on from my Switch and my PC at the same time.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

LethalGeek posted:

The ink is all predetermined patterns starting from a point so there isn't a ton of crazy math to have to be done there. Enough that good thing there are 4 CPUs but adding voice chat processing would use 1-2% of one core which some fraction of one is reserved for the OS anyway, least assuming this is like every other console in the last 10 years.

It's not they couldn't do it, they simply didn't want to. Some mix of rando voice talk means some parent is going to get mad that their 5yo got called a human being, not wanting/able to use bluetooth audio for some reason, and "wait how do we handle docked vs portable" thrown in. And/or Nintendo is just dumb about these things :v:
Yeah they might have been able to fit the voice chat in cpu budget if they wanted to, but they probably figured that it was better used elsewhere. It probably wouldn't have been to much of a burden on the cpu but i don't know much about the switch cpu any further than it's already getting reamed for Splatoon 2, so having a percentage that you can't rely on because someone might be using voice chat is harsh.

As a guy who worked on a modern game involving the online coordination of a lot of players in a low latency tolerence environment, this subject is pretty interesting. The online low latency context eating up a ridiculous amount of cpu is really surprising until you start digging into why. Long story short, if you make your game in the right way, you can sacrifice cpu for prediction. These games can end up requiring an overarching layer of gameplay simulation to hide the fact that the commands are coming in late. The twitchier the gameplay, the harder it is to predict what the player will do and the harder it is on the cpu. It's also a really framerate-sensitive technology so anything making the framerate unstable because of unbalanced loads of demand on cpu creates disconnections. It's the source of why Dark Souls mysteriously kicks you off online mode when your framerate sucks. I've never checked, but i'd bet Rocket League is unusually rough on CPUs for what looks like a game that a couple of simple graphical downgrades wouldn't make it look out of place on ps3 or maybe even ps2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.nintendoprime.net/nintendo-hori-lift-reveal-how-splatoon-2-handles-voice-chat-on-switch/

Hahahaha what the gently caress Nintendo

Gimbal lock posted:

Yeaaaah but at this point it may as well not exist.

I mean I can already call my friends on my phone or skype them sooo

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i use voicechat in overwatch but i have it linked to an inkling girl soundboard so people think i am a little squid flopping all about on the keyboard. anyway thats my voicechat story

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

Yeah they might have been able to fit the voice chat in cpu budget if they wanted to, but they probably figured that it was better used elsewhere. It probably wouldn't have been to much of a burden on the cpu but i don't know much about the switch cpu any further than it's already getting reamed for Splatoon 2, so having a percentage that you can't rely on because someone might be using voice chat is harsh.

As a guy who worked on a modern game involving the online coordination of a lot of players in a low latency tolerence environment, this subject is pretty interesting. The online low latency context eating up a ridiculous amount of cpu is really surprising until you start digging into why. Long story short, if you make your game in the right way, you can sacrifice cpu for prediction. These games can end up requiring an overarching layer of gameplay simulation to hide the fact that the commands are coming in late. The twitchier the gameplay, the harder it is to predict what the player will do and the harder it is on the cpu. It's also a really framerate-sensitive technology so anything making the framerate unstable because of unbalanced loads of demand on cpu creates disconnections. It's the source of why Dark Souls mysteriously kicks you off online mode when your framerate sucks. I've never checked, but i'd bet Rocket League is unusually rough on CPUs for what looks like a game that a couple of simple graphical downgrades wouldn't make it look out of place on ps3 or maybe even ps2.

Neeeeeat. (seriously)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gimbal lock posted:

Ehhhh, that's kinda bad programming though. Ideally your render loop is disconnected from your game step logic and if needs be the game can skip rendering a frame in order to catch up on logic. I love Dark Souls but its online implementation is pretty awful and most AAA games should be way way better. And the reverse is true as well, the game can determine if it needs to re-calculate prediction or it can skip calculating it a few frames if its costly and it needs to focus on rendering. I doubt Rocket League prediction is too complicated, in addition to frame-rate having an effect like you mentioned, the game design also has a huge effect. Rocket League means most of the time the prediction is just "player continues forward" and that's really all you have to do, maybe predict turning if they're approaching a wall. Quake prediction is more complex, I would think. poo poo, even without graphical downgrades the game already looks last-gen though, so I'm sure they have plenty of spare cycles if they need them. Rocket League isn't particularly impressive technically in any way, its just super fun so it doesn't matter.

I worked briefly on an MMO but I mostly work in general software.

LethalGeek posted:

Bingo

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 2, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
The familiar Rank Modes are making a return.

Wait, is that a Miiverse graffiti in the background!?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's some changes, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GxP5E5B7Y0

Splatzones have a UI indicator to more clearly show ink coverage, Tower Control now has checkpoints where it stops along the way to give defenders a couple rallying points and the Rainmaker now shoots a grenade-like shot rather than a tornado.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
UI changes.

Splat zones

Tower control

Rainmaker

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not sure how to feel about Towers new zones placement.

I really liked the old placement personally, but new placement is probably better for the sake of gameplay.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Want want want waaaaant

We ever hear any difference between dock & portable? I know dock is 720p60 but portable seems like it's going to slow down in some way.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

It looked like 60 fps in portable during the testfire

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Im kinda surprised given the jump MK8 makes in dock mode to 1080p

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LethalGeek posted:

Im kinda surprised given the jump MK8 makes in dock mode to 1080p

I'm hoping they could up the res for the final version. If MK8D could hit 1080 and be a smooth 60fps than I don't see why this can't too.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Zaphod42 posted:

Ehhhh, that's kinda bad programming though. Ideally your render loop is disconnected from your game step logic and if needs be the game can skip rendering a frame in order to catch up on logic. I love Dark Souls but its online implementation is pretty awful and most AAA games should be way way better. And the reverse is true as well, the game can determine if it needs to re-calculate prediction or it can skip calculating it a few frames if its costly and it needs to focus on rendering. I doubt Rocket League prediction is too complicated, in addition to frame-rate having an effect like you mentioned, the game design also has a huge effect. Rocket League means most of the time the prediction is just "player continues forward" and that's really all you have to do, maybe predict turning if they're approaching a wall. Quake prediction is more complex, I would think. poo poo, even without graphical downgrades the game already looks last-gen though, so I'm sure they have plenty of spare cycles if they need them. Rocket League isn't particularly impressive technically in any way, its just super fun so it doesn't matter.

I worked briefly on an MMO but I mostly work in general software.

It isn't bad programming, it's distributed state machines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_machine_replication#The_State_Machine_Approach rather than the old fashioned P2P lockstep replication.

The "prediction" isn't there to re-synchronize the game state, it's constantly running to make sure that it doesn't require resynchronization to begin with. Ideally your rendering is absolutely disconnected from your game logic but skipping rendering usually doesn't help catch up with logic very much -- a lot of the rendering burden is mostly GPU and your state machines are running on CPU. Bad framerate affects connection stability because the prediction needs a reliable clock. In our case, we had to implement a panic-mode that would drop as many non-critical cpu burdens as possible to keep the CPU updates under 33ms going, even if it meant actors and objects no longer getting updated visually.
I mentioned Rocket League because it wouldn't surprise me that they'd use state machine replication as well, and that stuff gets expensive as you add players. Yeah, Rocket League players probably don't need to reconfirm consensus as often as something like Quake 3 on paper, but the game arguably does a better job of tolerating network instability than Quake3 did. The game doesn't looks technically impressive, but I wouldn't be surprised if the CPU activity looked higher than one would expect from such a simple game, especially in 6 and 8 player matches. I'm 90% sure that Splatoon is doing something similar, if only because host migrations are rare but it's pretty painful whenever it ends up happening. That's just not something you see as much with lockstep replication.

You're right with DarkSouls' networking being crap. They're clearly lockstep, lag visibly being obvious and all, but they're relying on CPU for timing so they force you out of multiplayer whenever it gets too slow or it'd be even worse of a mess.

You're also right with game design having a huge impact on that stuff (especially with distributed state machines network model), because absolutely anything in your game that isn't entirely deterministic needs to be built with that tech in mind. If it can't be inferred from the global timer and the clients' consensus, it's subject to the limitations that distributing the finite state machines entails, and the limitations can be pretty rough.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 3, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/871657314612387840

New sub weapon, Poison Mist!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Jonas Albrecht posted:

New sub weapon, Poison Mist!

Basically it works like the disruptor, but this time around like the name implies it leaves a mist upon contact. No idea if it also affects you or your team mates. Probably not.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah, I was gonna say it looks like a disruptor

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Rexroom posted:

Basically it works like the disruptor, but this time around like the name implies it leaves a mist upon contact. No idea if it also affects you or your team mates. Probably not.

Doesn't affect allies. Enemies in the mist are slowed down and gradually lose ink. The longer they stick around, the faster the ink drain gets.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Like the disruptor, except not obsoleted by the fact that you can just shoot people with your gun. I want it with my bucket for maximum rage factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Am I the only one hoping for a point sensor? Those things could let you get away with some ballsy stuff

• Locked thread