Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Doesn't she have some dalmatians to kill for a fur coat or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

orange sky posted:

I know that this might be an exaggeration or an angle on what May really wants.

But look up GDPR. And then think about it. How will they comply with GDPR and have no encryption?

There's no loving way, that's how. Goodbye Britannia, you had a good run. You're gonna die on the backs of stupid racist people, just like you lived.

Yeah, this seems insane to me. Blocking GitHub would gently caress over tons of software developers.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Someone's sleeping on the couch tonight!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, this seems insane to me. Blocking GitHub would gently caress over tons of software developers.

he's not saying the UK would do it. he's saying to do what May is proposing would require it, and showing all the stuff they'd have to do for her nonsense to be effective in order to show she's just talking nonsense for the election

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Elotana posted:

Their final national poll was Clinton +2 :confused:
Rasmussen's polls always ~mysteriously~ start moving towards the consensus of other polls in the week or so before an election. At any other time they're in the tank for the Rs.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

evilweasel posted:

i think he used his wealth to suggest he must be incorruptible and competent, both of which are hilariously untrue, but like for part of the republican primary he was running on increasing taxes on the rich, running against free trade, and the racism and sexism was part of his appeal rather than a thing he needed cover for

I'm saying his supporters and surrogates used it as cover. It gave people something to point to as a reason for their support rather than just openly saying "yeah, I'm voting for Trump because gently caress everyone is who isn't white." Wealth fetishism was a huge component of Trump's popularity with his base.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

His first tweet in a year and a half, too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ballz posted:

His first tweet in a year and a half, too.

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if it was her tweeting that from his account.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Oh by the way, here's something fun.
https://twitter.com/rustysunshine/status/871756450422341633

The only ways you can really reduce delays like Trump wants is to build more runways (NIMBYs won't let that happen even if the godemperor says so) or reduce the minimum separation distance between aircraft.
So who wants to fly in formation from LA->JFK and hope nothing goes wrong? :haw:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Dear lord every single drat thing the right said about obama being a laughingstock of the world was just them describing every single thing trump is doing right now. Verbally attacking and Berating an ally who just suffered from an attack is freaking insane.

Hurry the gently caress up on the special prosecutor already... this poo poo show can't go on for three and a half more years... it just can't

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

canepazzo posted:

they both agree the tweets are dumb as gently caress, kellyanne is just trying to get the media to stop paying attention to them and he's trying to stop trump from tweeting by appealing to his reason and intelligence because he doesn't have the direct experience with Trump kellyanne does to know how hilariously useless such an appeal is

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

As far as I know, he's the first President who posts their unfiltered thoughts on the Internet.

Which is the very definition of "news", if you think about it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Spaced God posted:

The only ways you can really reduce delays like Trump wants is to build more runways (NIMBYs won't let that happen even if the godemperor says so) or reduce the minimum separation distance between aircraft.
So who wants to fly in formation from LA->JFK and hope nothing goes wrong? :haw:

There is no way this gets 60 votes... right? RIGHT?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Spaced God posted:

This reminds me of the low budget movie my uncle made called Jetblast. Airline companies pretty much control the world and public transit is all planes. They are armed with weapons and shoot each other out of the sky to make better times and land quicker. Every scene showing the sky just having hundreds of plays flying in every direction all crazy. It never came out as it's release date was set for 9/11/2001.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I like how everyone picked the most unflattering picture of Kellyanne possible to use as the stock photo of her.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Ralepozozaxe posted:

This reminds me of the low budget movie my uncle made called Jetblast. Airline companies pretty much control the world and public transit is all planes. They are armed with weapons and shoot each other out of the sky to make better times and land quicker. Every scene showing the sky just having hundreds of plays flying in every direction all crazy. It never came out as it's release date was set for 9/11/2001.

Holy poo poo I want to see this movie

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Sarah Sanders is giving the briefing today.

Remember last Friday when Spicer got asked twenty times whether Trump believes climate change is a hoax, then a lady reporter at the end finally gives up and asks "well could you loving ask him, Sean?"

I bet ya :10bux: that Sanders has not asked the President, and will be unable to answer whether he believes climate change is real.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Spaced God posted:

Holy poo poo I want to see this movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373046/

I think my mom has a copy, and only a few exist.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

canepazzo posted:

you just reminded me of the couch picture

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Spaced God posted:

I already have an incredible fear of flying so this is cool and good news and not at all horrifying

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Wait, so the pitch is that we are going to privatize ATC and long lines at the airport will go away?

How does that even make sense?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

Sarah Sanders is giving the briefing today.

Remember last Friday when Spicer got asked twenty times whether Trump believes climate change is a hoax, then a lady reporter at the end finally gives up and asks "well could you loving ask him, Sean?"

I bet ya :10bux: that Sanders has not asked the President, and will be unable to answer whether he believes climate change is real.

I hate the term "believing" in climate change, because it's a literal scientific fact, not a faith-based assumption. That's like asking if someone "believes in gravity."

But that might just be too semantic for this thread.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'm very glad President Donald J. Trump is tackling the important issues our people face such as...air traffic control?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My local paper decided to run this amazing opinion piece from the Philadelphia Inquirer. It begins with probably the poorest interpretation of 1984 I've ever seen:

quote:

“As usual, the face of Emmanuel Goldstein, the Enemy of the People, had flashed upon the screen. There were hisses here and there among the audience. … The programmes of the Two Minutes Hate varied from day to day, but there was none in which Goldstein was not the principal figure. He was the primary traitor, the earliest defiler of the Party’s purity. All subsequent crimes against the Party, all treacheries, acts of sabotage, heresies, deviations, sprang directly from his teachings. … He was the commander of a vast shadowy army, an underground network of conspirators dedicated to the overthrow of the State. …

“In its second minute the Hate rose to a frenzy. People were leaping up and down in their places and shouting at the top of their voices in an effort to drown (Goldstein’s) maddening bleating voice that came from the screen.”

Thus did George Orwell in his brilliant “1984” describe the officially mandated daily ritual by which Big Brother inoculated the masses against dangerous counterrevolutionary thoughts and beliefs. Hate Goldstein, love Big Brother, follow the Party line. Or else.

As I watch the mainstream media’s unhinged and semi-hysterical denunciations of President Trump, I cannot help but draw comparisons to Orwell’s prophetic novel. But compared with Trump, Goldstein got off easy. After all, what’s two minutes of daily hate compared with the mainstream media’s 24-hour nonstop barrage of anonymously sourced reports that seek to diminish, delegitimize and undermine Trump’s presidency?

http://onlineathens.com/opinion/2017-06-04/parry-media-have-forfeited-all-objectivity-bid-pull-down-trump

Our paper is owned by one of those big rightwing media groups that's been buying up local papers, so we get these pretty regularly. They actually held our paper hostage before the election and forced them to endorse Trump.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Retro42 posted:

Wait, so the pitch is that we are going to privatize ATC and long lines at the airport will go away?

Magic of the free market, bro.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Spaced God posted:

I hate the term "believing" in climate change, because it's a literal scientific fact, not a faith-based assumption. That's like asking if someone "believes in gravity."

But that might just be too semantic for this thread.

No I completely agree, my PhD was not climate science but closely related and I'll be a pedant about it whenever someone talks about "belief" in climate change.

Science isn't asking you to "believe" in anything, it simply presents the evidence and you can choose to accept or reject it. In this case there's overwhelming evidence for man-made global warming, you can choose to reject that but it's irrational and reckless given the consequences if unchecked.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Retro42 posted:

Bing bing bong.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

One of the WaPo commenters captured the problem with air traffic privatization perfectly:

edit: the article itself offers some good background

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...omepage%2Fstory

tldr: it's not the traffic controllers that are the problem (Congress actually loves them), but rather the FAA's plan (called NextGen) to modernize some of the air traffic control systems. Congress says the plan is moving way too slowly and thinks privatization is the solution.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 5, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol he ends his speech about deregulating the FAA by claiming "GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA"

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Speaking of aviation poo poo, whatever happened to that proposed ban on laptops for all flights to and from Europe? Did that ever become an official thing?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Speaking of aviation poo poo, whatever happened to that proposed ban on laptops for all flights to and from Europe? Did that ever become an official thing?

No, Europe is fine for now.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Fun fact, air traffic controllers have strict health requirements just like pilots and are mandated to have physical exams and have a hard retirement age. They have to disclose every medication they're on and if they don't, they can be suspended/fired.

Good luck replacing these people with $9/hour shitfucks who are high on adderall and/or oxy.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/871761178858577920
The fact that it's literally 666 Fifth Ave is so loving funny to me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

enraged_camel posted:

One of the WaPo commenters captured the problem with air traffic privatization perfectly:

There's a parallel universe where the right-wingers are posting comments on articles about the impending nationalization of ATC describing it as being like waiting in line at the DMV or Post Office.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
I mean isn't Trump just finishing what Reagan started as far as air traffic control is concerned?

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Ralepozozaxe posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373046/

I think my mom has a copy, and only a few exist.

DVDs are apparently available on Amazon for :20bux:.

https://www.amazon.com/Jetblast-Summer-Wilson/dp/B001HL00WO/

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

La Brea Carpet posted:

Fun fact, air traffic controllers have strict health requirements just like pilots and are mandated to have physical exams and have a hard retirement age. They have to disclose every medication they're on and if they don't, they can be suspended/fired.

Good luck replacing these people with $9/hour shitfucks who are high on adderall and/or oxy.

None of that matters because privatization = better. Whats a few more ATC related accidents a year when the system will be "better".

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ague Proof posted:

Boris was born in the US.

Prepare yourself for a third President Johnson.

As a necessary step in his grand plan of risking the entire nation's future to become Prime Minister without ever being elected to Parliament, to win an on-going schoolboy fued with Cameron, he gave up his US citizenship.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

What may torpedo this privatization plan is that strong, urban, democratic-area airports are all going to be profit centers for this corporation while weak, rural, republican-area airports will be money-losing boondoggles for this corporation, and the thought may percolate through red-state senator skulls that perhaps the free market is only appropriate when it benefits their constituents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moskiitto
Feb 27, 2013

Overlardness

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/871761178858577920
The fact that it's literally 666 Fifth Ave is so loving funny to me
Highway to Hell

• Locked thread