Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Made a small bet with a friend that the Warriors would sweep a couple weeks ago, got soundly mocked

A week ago (before the series started) upgraded it to the Warriors will sweep and win every game by double digits, was mocked even more

Feeling good so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Don't make a kid you dumbass, if you really want to be a parent adopt one of the many children who already exist and need a good family.

Who says I'm not also doing that at some point?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Don't make a kid you dumbass, if you really want to be a parent adopt one of the many children who already exist and need a good family.

I like fuckin' and well one thing lead to another

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Intruder posted:

I like fuckin' and well one thing lead to another

*burps* any other questions son

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I also have a biological imperative to propagate my genes come at me son

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

lol shut the gently caress up

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

seiferguy posted:

Every research on the topic has shown that marital satisfaction decreases significantly after having a kid. It's even worse if the child is unplanned. A not surprising paradox is that you're less likely to get divorced after a kid, so basically you get to be miserable together. But the survival of our race depends on us having kids so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think Earth would be happier if humanity died off

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ehud posted:

I can't decide if I should have a kid

What if it sucks and then I'm stuck with a kid!

Babysit for a full week a kid that is between 4 and 10 years old. Babies grow and the responsibilities change, but once they hit 4 they are mostly unchanged until they are teenagers, and become even more independent. By 4 they are pretty independent in that they can feed, bathe, and toilet themselves. If you can handle that and you have fun, then have a kid! Its a good way to see if that life is for you.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Earth is ambivalent in all things, it is humanity which gives meaning

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Earth don't give a drat. Just as happy as a meteor smashed ball of fire as it is a life giving paradise inhabited by assholes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Entropy will take everything eventually. There is no meaning, the universe is a cold and unfeeling machine, everything you are and everything you do in your entire life will one day be utterly forgotten and have meant nothing.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

swickles posted:

Babysit for a full week a kid that is between 4 and 10 years old. Babies grow and the responsibilities change, but once they hit 4 they are mostly unchanged until they are teenagers, and become even more independent. By 4 they are pretty independent in that they can feed, bathe, and toilet themselves. If you can handle that and you have fun, then have a kid! Its a good way to see if that life is for you.

what if I just adopt one of those used kids

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Leperflesh posted:

Entropy will take everything eventually. There is no meaning, the universe is a cold and unfeeling machine, everything you are and everything you do in your entire life will one day be utterly forgotten and have meant nothing.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Meaning is a construct after all

But gravity will probably drag everything back together and bang it out endlessly so it's trill

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Diqnol posted:

Meaning is a construct after all

But gravity will probably drag everything back together and bang it out endlessly so it's trill

nah dark energy seems to be winning

it's OK just don't think about it too much. Evolution has conditioned us to pay attention to just living and eating and loving and so on, your brain doesn't want you to ponder your ultimate oblivion so just focus on breakfast

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
In an ideal world, I create two kids and adopt three.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Ehud posted:

what if I just adopt one of those used kids

My man :c00l:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Every child I have will be tossed off a cliff and only the ones who climb back up can join the zaibatsu

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

My wife and I have discussed that a lot. She doesn't really want to be pregnant (who would?)

Also we are 30 and 31 and if we are going to have a baby it needs to happen soon-ish and neither of us feel particularly ready.

I played Overwatch for 6 hours on Sunday, for instance

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

Also we are 30 and 31 and if we are going to have a baby it needs to happen soon-ish and neither of us feel particularly ready.

You likely have at least some time? Swickles can confirm but I think it's relatively safe these days for 35+ first pregnancies?

You can go all out and have a kid at 43 if you're dumb like my mom, but then you end up with me so I wouldn't advise it.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

As someone who has been kinda curious about it, it apparently takes a poo poo-ton of money.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I mean the risk increases over a long enough timeline, but yeah, you've got more time than you think.

Source: Wife of Gonad is an OB/GYN nurse/childbirth educator/title salad haver about babies.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Did someone seriously mention the movie Sucker Puck as something other than misogynistic dreck?

Diqnol posted:

loving lol deez nuts my man but that is interesting, never cared much about Sparta though. My thought at the time was you can't call the Persians the good guys when they were conquering poo poo and building an empire on slavery and opportunism. Good guys implies some sort of moral high ground when in reality that period in human evolution is so far removed from modern society that judging their morals is utter folly.

Viewing history through the prism of 21st century ethics is pretty dumb. Here's a list of the ancient empires that didn't conquer, loot and enslave:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Quiet Feet posted:

As someone who has been kinda curious about it, it apparently takes a poo poo-ton of money.

My brother and sister in law tried it, and yeah not only does it cost a ton but there is all kinds of legal hoops to jump through. They ended up giving up after a year+ of trying.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

White people in Park Slope don't start having kids until they're, like, 40.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

fsif posted:

No one in my freaking city starts having kids until they're like 40.

That's because your city is obsessed with anal

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

weird Asian candy posted:

That's because your city is obsessed with anal

I meant bougie white NYC, heh.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Did someone seriously mention the movie Sucker Puck as something other than misogynistic dreck?

Viewing history through the prism of 21st century ethics is pretty dumb. Here's a list of the ancient empires that didn't conquer, loot and enslave:

Agreed

Nov 6, 2002

My parents had me when they were in their early 40's. I always felt embarrassed of them a bit because all my friends had much younger parents.

But now... I go to pickup my kids from school and daycare and at least half the parents are all in their 40s or older. It's normal now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Someone in this thread recommended Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and I've been marathoning it and it's a good show so thanks, whoever you were.

fsif posted:

White people in Park Slope don't start having kids until they're, like, 40.

I feel old enough at 42, I can't imagine what it'd be like to be managing teenagers in your mid-fifties. And it'll suck for your kids' kids not getting to have grandparents (because they all died already). If you're gonna have kids, do it in your 30s in my opinion, when you're old enough to not be a total idiot about parenting but still young enough for parenting to not just kill you.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I am 36 and I cannot imagine dealing with a baby at this point. We started young, my baby is 8 now, but I cannot imagine my life right now with work and other responsibilities and add onto it a newborn and all the demands that come with it. And I LOVE the baby phase...

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

My brother and sister in law tried it, and yeah not only does it cost a ton but there is all kinds of legal hoops to jump through. They ended up giving up after a year+ of trying.

This. It's super easy to just say "adopt". People don't realize that even if you get fosters, their parent(s) can change their mind and take them back, only to surrender them again month's later. My wife's coworker has had the same fosters taken back twice, after almost a year, because mom gets sober-ish and changes her mind. They want so badly to adopt these kids and give them a permanent family, but the system is completely hosed in doing things in an efficient/sane manner.

Adoption is a massive pain in the rear end and good on the folks who are wealthy/persistent enough to actually make it happen.

Nov 6, 2002

Neil Armbong posted:

This. It's super easy to just say "adopt". People don't realize that even if you get fosters, their parent(s) can change their mind and take them back, only to surrender them again month's later. My wife's coworker has had the same fosters taken back twice, after almost a year, because mom gets sober-ish and changes her mind. They want so badly to adopt these kids and give them a permanent family, but the system is completely hosed in doing things in an efficient/sane manner.

Adoption is a massive pain in the rear end and good on the folks who are wealthy/persistent enough to actually make it happen.

There is a reason people go to China and Russia (well not anymore!) to adopt. It is just too difficult in the United States.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Neil Armbong posted:

The saddest part is the people who end up paying the most are the poor kids :smith:

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

The saddest part is the people who end up paying the most are the poor kids :smith:

Yep. The foster system largely fails the only people it should be serving, the kids.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I love that in this subforum I can be over 30 and still feel young

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I was reminiscing about stuff we liked in college with a friend this weekend and then we realized it was all 15-20 years old now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When my wife and I began our relationship, we took pictures of stuff on film. I have developed photographs documenting the first ~8 years of our relationship.

Nov 6, 2002

The problem is many, if not most, child agencies in this country consider keeping a family intact more important than other important priorities. Well this is understandable on its face, it can lead to some tragic consequences.

Popular media is full of dramatizations of the bureaucratic drones who come and take children away from their misunderstood parents. But the reality is the opposite. Most places are sending kids back to abusive homes far too frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalli posted:

I was reminiscing about stuff we liked in college with a friend this weekend and then we realized it was all 15-20 years old now.

Does anyone else have a weird habit of still imagining the 90s were a decade ago? Like, someone mentions 1998 and I am like "man that was only five or six years a....oh my god"

• Locked thread