Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

rear end posted:

Hello! My iPhone 6's battery is dying (55% capacity. Had the phone since release) and I tried to get it fixed at an Apple Authorized service center. They told me Apple doesn't replace batteries on the iPhone 6 (???) and that they'd have to replace the whole unit. I was eyeing the iFixit battery kit but I have a fear of third party batteries.

Anybody know if their batteries might blow up and murder me? Are there any better battery vendors out there? Thanks!

Apple does replace 6 batteries. Maybe that AASP doesn't, but Apple will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

rear end posted:

Hello! My iPhone 6's battery is dying (55% capacity. Had the phone since release) and I tried to get it fixed at an Apple Authorized service center. They told me Apple doesn't replace batteries on the iPhone 6 (???) and that they'd have to replace the whole unit. I was eyeing the iFixit battery kit but I have a fear of third party batteries.

Anybody know if their batteries might blow up and murder me? Are there any better battery vendors out there? Thanks!

You can try a real apple store or the by-mail thing with Apple if there isn't one near you.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

astral posted:

You can try a real apple store or the by-mail thing with Apple if there isn't one near you.

No official Apple stores in my country. I'm not shipping my phone internationally.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

rear end posted:

No official Apple stores in my country. I'm not shipping my phone internationally.

Then... sucks to be you? They're still replacing 4S batteries at this point so definitely 6 batteries.

I guess your best bet is travel to a country with an Apple Store? I dunno if that's an afternoon fix or not but definitely make an appointment. Probably best to book through the phone line so they can get all the usual info ahead of time and get straight to the repair?

That would be weird/complicated to plan but that's your best bet if you want an official route.

Non-official option is get random shop that does screen/battery replacements to do a ??? quality job.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Dick Nipples posted:

Then... sucks to be you? They're still replacing 4S batteries at this point so definitely 6 batteries.

I guess your best bet is travel to a country with an Apple Store? I dunno if that's an afternoon fix or not but definitely make an appointment. Probably best to book through the phone line so they can get all the usual info ahead of time and get straight to the repair?

That would be weird/complicated to plan but that's your best bet if you want an official route.

Non-official option is get random shop that does screen/battery replacements to do a ??? quality job.

Hahaha coincidentally I am going to be in Washington DC next month. I actually wanted to get it fixed here so that I don' t have to carry my power bank on me everywhere, but I guess I can fix it there. Let's hope I won't have to stay a couple of days in a foreign country without my phone.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

rear end posted:

Hahaha coincidentally I am going to be in Washington DC next month. I actually wanted to get it fixed here so that I don' t have to carry my power bank on me everywhere, but I guess I can fix it there. Let's hope I won't have to stay a couple of days in a foreign country without my phone.

Ya that seems like a good time to do it then. No backup or old phone you can borrow to bum wifi with?

Like I said - definitely make an appointment and try to get all the bullshit diagnostics stuff out of the way over the phone. It speeds poo poo up fast. I had to get my 6S replaced after iOS 10 hosed it up and kept crashing SpringBoard. I talked with the tech on the phone and we did all the usual poo poo, he had me send the diagnostics. He said just go in the store and give them case number 1234567.

When I went into the Fruit Stand, I gave them the case number and 5 minutes later walked out with a replacement device.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Dick Nipples posted:

Ya that seems like a good time to do it then. No backup or old phone you can borrow to bum wifi with?

Like I said - definitely make an appointment and try to get all the bullshit diagnostics stuff out of the way over the phone. It speeds poo poo up fast. I had to get my 6S replaced after iOS 10 hosed it up and kept crashing SpringBoard. I talked with the tech on the phone and we did all the usual poo poo, he had me send the diagnostics. He said just go in the store and give them case number 1234567.

When I went into the Fruit Stand, I gave them the case number and 5 minutes later walked out with a replacement device.

Oh yeah I do have a Nexus 5 that also needs a new battery :v: At least I can have that repaired here.

I'll keep the appointment stuff in mind. Thank you!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just to also answer the original question, iFixit are very reputable and their included kits are all you need.
Unless you're a complete klutz I'd save the money fixing a 6, whether I lived next to an Apple store or had to travel.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

Just to also answer the original question, iFixit are very reputable and their included kits are all you need.
Unless you're a complete klutz I'd save the money fixing a 6, whether I lived next to an Apple store or had to travel.

Taking the adhesive off the battery is a technique if you've never done it before. If that snaps under the battery and you can't get to it, you have to start prying the battery up to get to it

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone ever see their wifi speed throttled by settings?

My phone is the only one in the household to not get 80Mbs. Other iPhones, appletvs, and laptops all max out our internet. I'm consistently getting only 5Mbs.

I've tried resetting my network settings. I just want to check all my possible bases before wiping my phone and restoring from a backup.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Toggle wifi assist on and off. Or just off, or whatever.

It never helps and is the cause of all those issues usually.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Thwomp posted:

My phone is the only one in the household to not get 80Mbs. Other iPhones, appletvs, and laptops all max out our internet. I'm consistently getting only 5Mbs.

I've tried resetting my network settings. I just want to check all my possible bases before wiping my phone and restoring from a backup.

Have you checked your router settings? I know my router can cap bandwidth on a per device basis.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Thwomp posted:

Are they all connecting to a 5GHz network and you are connecting to the 2.4GHz one?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I'm headed overseas at the end of the month and am looking for either a battery case or a good portable portable recharger for my phone. I had a battery case for the past year, but the port eventually died on me. Any recommendations?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you checked your router settings? I know my router can cap bandwidth on a per device basis.

Yeah, I've checked the router.

The weird thing is I'm only getting 5 Mbs down on LTE too. I've been testing all over town today. Getting healthy upload speeds (20-30) all while maintaining 5Mbs down.

Tried the wifi assist. It was already off.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Probably a stupid question but did you ever enable Developer settings and turn on Link Conditioner?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Anya posted:

I'm headed overseas at the end of the month and am looking for either a battery case or a good portable portable recharger for my phone. I had a battery case for the past year, but the port eventually died on me. Any recommendations?

This will charge your phone like 7 times.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LQ7MQG6/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Battery checker app says it's supplying my phone with 2.4amp 12watt charging just like the iPad brick does. Which means fast charging.

If you want more portability they make smaller lipstick sized ones that should be good for one 0 to 100% charge.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 4, 2017

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
That actually looks fine, I was in the market for a multi use charger as well. Thanks for the heads up.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Taking the adhesive off the battery is a technique if you've never done it before. If that snaps under the battery and you can't get to it, you have to start prying the battery up to get to it

The adhesive on the 5 series is a pain, but the one on the 6 is pretty easy if you remove the vibrate motor first.

Otherwise yeah, it'll tear and it's kind of a pain to pry the battery out. And easy to rupture it if you're not careful.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Anya posted:

That actually looks fine, I was in the market for a multi use charger as well. Thanks for the heads up.

It's nice. Charges fast. I bring it with me on my 24 hour shifts and use it to charge my Nintendo Switch and iPhone and whatever the gently caress else. I don't even bother with a wall plug anymore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whatever Anker charger meets your size/price comparison is the one to get

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Khablam posted:

I don't tinker with things much nor was I replacing a phone but I saw this in another thread and had to have it. One of those things you definitely don't need, a $5 set works, but so nice.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/64-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-299-1

:allears:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Not that it matters much to anyone else but turned out my network issue was the Speedtest app flaking out.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the app shows speeds I expect to get on my home network. I double checked other apps/sites which confirmed I never had a speed issue.

Which makes sense as I didn't feel like I was only getting 5 Mbs.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I don't tinker with things much nor was I replacing a phone but I saw this in another thread and had to have it. One of those things you definitely don't need, a $5 set works, but so nice.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/64-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-299-1

:allears:

I have an earlier version of that kit. Really well made and having all the odd bits is great, particularly the secure bits.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have an earlier version of that kit. Really well made and having all the odd bits is great, particularly the secure bits.

Not sure if the previous one had little magnetic square areas on the inside of the cover to separate poo poo

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Not sure if the previous one had little magnetic square areas on the inside of the cover to separate poo poo

It does not, that sounds awesome. I do have an ifixit tray that has a bunch of compartments to keep stuff sorted. It's pretty useful.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So other than a file manager and killing off 32-bit apps, has anything of note leaked out about iOS 11 yet?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Isn't WWDC today? Just wait a few hours, I'm sure there will be all kinds of rumors!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think the only things I care about right now is better Siri poo poo, more HomeKit stuff, and maybe adding Netflix to TV's Watch Now page.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

So other than a file manager and killing off 32-bit apps, has anything of note leaked out about iOS 11 yet?
Drag and drop on iPads
Activity app can be deleted
More Siri openness
Redesigned interface

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maybe this will be the year to bring back skeuomorphism!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Maybe this will be the year to bring back skeuomorphism!

Scott Forstall will walk out onstage, show one picture of an iOS home screen rendered in rich Corinthian leather, drop a mic and walk off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ars posted an article about some kind of iOS file browser showing up on the app store.

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/06/evidence-of-an-official-ios-file-manager-hits-the-app-store-ahead-of-wwdc/

A proper rumor!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

xzzy posted:

Ars posted an article about some kind of iOS file browser showing up on the app store.

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/06/evidence-of-an-official-ios-file-manager-hits-the-app-store-ahead-of-wwdc/

A proper rumor!

I'm not holding my breath about this being anything more than a rebranded iCloud Drive thing. But man, if it has SMB browsing/sharing, I'll poop my pants.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The home button on my iphone 7 died. I have applecare+. Should I expect them to just give me a new iphone or am I going to be out of a phone for a couple days while they 'repair' it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Depends on your stores local stock and how difficult a repair is. You'll have to go on and find out.

Why did you put repair in quotes?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you ask, they will give you a loaner phone, but in my experience, phone repairs are a matter of hours, not days.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yeah, in my experience they'll say "we'll call you when it's ready in a couple hours", unless it's something where they swap the whole phone for a refurb on the spot (not sure what the home button repair is like).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How can they call if they have your phone 😇

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:lol: The new 1-page control panel looks loving terrible.