Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
I wonder what percentage of public services will be privatized by 2100. Capitalists don't seem to really give a gently caress about whether it even makes sense so we can probably consider almost everything on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I'm very glad President Donald J. Trump is tackling the important issues our people face such as...air traffic control?

Desperate for a win, Trump is leafing through a pamphlet on the Gipper's presidency.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/RaleighReporter/status/871749352108294145

Stayed the order for special elections but overall a solid "get hosed" to the GOP.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

I wonder what percentage of public services will be privatized by 2100. Capitalists don't seem to really give a gently caress about whether it even makes sense so we can probably consider almost everything on the table.

That's what Putin did in Russia. It's fascism. No Democrat votes for any of these schemes are acceptable.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/871756831579750400

So another special election coming up?

Also re ATC:
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/871765130165530625
https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/871762636794458112
https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/871762802599505920
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/871763699295375360

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 5, 2017

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

"Hell if we privatize things like water and gas even more we can intentionally kill the minorities in order to secure the republican party like in Flint be blameless when tragedies happen, so it's a win win!" -Republicans

He's in LA, if anything he'll get a raise

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Jealous Cow posted:

Stayed the order for special elections but overall a solid "get hosed" to the GOP.

Isn't this just good for, you know, America? Citizens? Humanity?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Isn't this just good for, you know, America? Citizens? Humanity?

It's super cool, but like Texas they're gonna put redistricting off as long as humanly possible because "oh it takes a lot of resources"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jealous Cow posted:

It's more problematic than it sounds on face value...

https://thinkprogress.org/supreme-court-easier-gerrymandering-e6c986056e62

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Holy moly, an anti-privatization comment on TD, of all places. Informative too.

Up is down, down is up (the responses are still hosed up of course).

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Retro42 posted:

None of that matters because privatization = better. Whats a few more ATC related accidents a year when the system will be "better".

Capitalism will sort this all out. Died in a horrific accident because of inadequate following distance? Should have spent the extra $1,500 to upgrade to a Delta Premium flight, which includes an extra 2 inches of legroom, a 20% larger buffer between you and other planes, and complimentary soda and snacks!

moskiitto
Feb 27, 2013

Overlardness
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-un-rights-idUSKBN18W173

quote:

The United States is expected to signal on Tuesday that it might withdraw from the United Nations Human Rights Council unless reforms are ushered in including the removal of what it sees as an "anti-Israel bias", diplomats and activists said.

U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley, who holds cabinet rank in President Donald Trump's administration, said last week Washington would decide on whether to withdraw from the Council after its three-week session in Geneva ends this month.

Under Trump, Washington has broken with decades of U.S. foreign policy by turning away from multilateralism. His decision to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement last week drew criticism from governments around the world.

The Council's critical stance of Israel has been a major sticking point for its ally the United States. Washington boycotted the body for three years under President George W. Bush before rejoining under Barack Obama in 2009.

Haley, writing in the Washington Post at the weekend, called for the Council to "end its practice of wrongly singling out Israel for criticism."

The possibility of a U.S. withdrawal has raised alarm bells among Western allies and activists.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/871761178858577920
The fact that it's literally 666 Fifth Ave is so loving funny to me

For me, that building will forever be associated with the seminal Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett novel Good Omens thanks to it having a scene where one of the Four Horsemen was dining with his accountant at a restaurant there.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/871765751413321729

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Why do air traffic controllers keep coming up in US policy debates over the decades?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
cause reagan started federal union busting with them

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

with its record of human rights violations maybe the US shouldn't be on it anyway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

My guess is he'll either drop it or be banned from T_D for daring to disagree with the God Emperor being insufficiently right-wing violating their precious safe space trolling.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Javes posted:

Why do air traffic controllers keep coming up in US policy debates over the decades?

Yeah I feel like ATCs show up disproportionately. Like, masons.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

enraged_camel posted:

Guaranteed this person will be banned and these posts scattered to the winds very soon, if it hasn't already been done.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

This article is not correct. First, we're talking a difference of one year in how long the old maps will be in place. It's not going to be significant and they try to make it significant by essentially decieving the reader: pointing out that North Carolina got to run 3 elections under the bad maps. Yes, true: but with the court-ordered remedy they'd have gotten to (in effect) run 2.5 elections under the bad maps. We're talking a difference of .5 elections, not 3. Second, the Supreme Court decision there was narrow and pretty much correct: ordering a state to hold off-year elections is a big deal and it's not authorized by statute: that's a court exercising equitable powers to fashion a new remedy that's never been used before. A court needs to explain its reasoning when taking a step like that: the court can go back and explain its reasoning and reach that exact conclusion again (though it'll be harder to explain how NC can manage to make new maps and hold special elections in 5 months instead of 11).

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

THEY ARE LITERALLY LETTING HIM PRETEND TO PRESIDENT

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Pikavangelist posted:

For me, that building will forever be associated with the seminal Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett novel Good Omens thanks to it having a scene where one of the Four Horsemen was dining with his accountant at a restaurant there.

Ooh, prescient.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Javes posted:

Air traffic controllers get paid a heap of money, and have a big union. They also got hosed (hard) by the FAA in 06 with wage freezes and pay cuts for new hires; there's now less controllers (10,000) because of that cut than there were when Reagan fired them all

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

Regarding that last comment there - what "profit motive" would a privatized air traffic control system have to avoid a failure situation? It's not like travelers can just choose a competitor instead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Is....is this real?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

aka Cajun John Wayne from the few viral videos he was in a couple years ago.

He's a stupid gung ho coonass that thinks he is some super cop. Far too many people like him around here.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TildeATH posted:

Yeah I feel like ATCs show up disproportionately. Like, masons.
I feel like its because they work fairly well, all things considered, and we can't have an example of working government running around.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Is....is this real?

It's a new Twitter bot that reformats Trump tweets onto White House stationary.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Also, to reply to the same post twice, this article doesn't get how good the Supreme Court's decision on the factual issue was. The Supreme Court didn't just uphold the district court. They basically said that North Carolina's claim there was anything to even consider on appeal attacking the factual conclusion they racially gerrymandered was garbage and not worth their time. That is really, really important because it sends the signal they are not interested in saving states from obvious racial gerrymanders when they've been caught dead to rights, which will motivate lower courts to be less concerned that the Supreme Court will overturn their factual findings on some thin pretext.

Plus, the way they affirmed the lower court decision has precedential value. It's not like if they denied cert (which doesn't have precedential value but leaves the lower court decision intact), they actually affirmed the lower court decision.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Pikavangelist posted:

DC Comics had their offices there for decades before moving to LA, so it makes sense for Gaiman to have set a scene in a book he wrote duting his Sandman days there.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

botany posted:

with its record of human rights violations maybe the US shouldn't be on it anyway

Eh, it's not like that the rest of that body has a great record in that respect, often

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/871761178858577920
The fact that it's literally 666 Fifth Ave is so loving funny to me

Look at the flag behind trump, note the red stripe placement.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Regarding that last comment there - what "profit motive" would a privatized air traffic control system have to avoid a failure situation? It's not like travelers can just choose a competitor instead.

The funny thing is that the org has to be a non-profit.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
If you want an idea of what privatizing air traffic control would be like, download and play "Air Control" from Steam.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Spaced God posted:

It's super cool, but like Texas they're gonna put redistricting off as long as humanly possible because "oh it takes a lot of resources"

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/26/texas-gop-wants-to-redistrict-before-the-2018-elections/

Texas wanted to redistrict seeing the cards in the wind next election cycle.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

cochise posted:

aka Cajun John Wayne from the few viral videos he was in a couple years ago.

He's a stupid gung ho coonass that thinks he is some super cop. Far too many people like him around here.

quote:

Take another look at that mock swearing-in photo with Speaker Paul Ryan. Notice the glut of wristbands? They’re the same ones depicted here—advertisements for his online merch, previously sold at captainhigginsgear.com. Is it low, bordering on desperate to commercialize one’s own congressional photo-op? Absolutely. But Higgins had a provincial sort of knack for self-promotion. He used the Crime Stoppers videos to launch a side businesses of paid appearances on TV and radio (as well as the aforementioned t-shirts, mugs, and wrist bands). That Higgins spent time between the Army and law enforcement as a car salesman should be unsurprising.

Emails obtained by Salon last year revealed Higgins demanded to be paid in cash for these various appearances—gains which he conveniently left off his tax returns. Yet somehow with these varied income streams, the congressman allegedly has not paid child support to one of his ex-wives in over a decade, and now owes in excess of $140,000.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I think this "privatization" is less privatization in the sense of selling the stuff to private owners to run for profit and more spinning it off into a nonprofit governmental corporation which operates in an odd legal world where it is controlled by the government but not part of the government so its exempt from some stuff but not all stuff about how the government must do business. A corporation isn't going to cut a check for a few billion to take it over. That said, I have no idea about the pros/cons behind this besides that if it's pushed by trump it's probably a stupid idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

Party Plane Jones posted:

Air traffic controllers get paid a heap of money, and have a big union. They also got hosed (hard) by the FAA in 06 with wage freezes and pay cuts for new hires; there's now less controllers (10,000) because of that cut than there were when Reagan fired them all

To be fair we did get all that pay back over a few years in 2009 (IIRC, I didn't join the FAA until 2011) with a new collective bargaining agreement. The thing that really hurt us staffing wise was sequestration and the last shutdown which closed the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City for 9 months. No new trainees for that long, in a job that can take 2-3 years to fully certify really hurts. My last facility was supposed to have 18 fully certified controllers, and when I left it went down to 9. I worked almost 400 hours of overtime last year to cover for the 8 missing certified controllers. The overtime and constant training starts to wear on you pretty quick, and I know there are facilities out there that are worse off.

Our union (NATCA) would be for a not-for-profit privatization as long as we were at the table and we're able to keep the benefits we enjoy now. We want more reliable funding so we can do our jobs effectively. Like has been brought up many times, many countries run on a non-profit quasi government corporation model and do just fine. We're all anxious to see how this goes.

• Locked thread