Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

My sister is a Lib Dem and Nick Clegg is still her favourite politician

I love her and she usually has good views (she helps out the homeless, stuff like that) but i literally did a :psyduck: when she told me this

please let us know her reaction if the predictions he might lose his seat come to pass. We all might be needing some schadenfreude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

jBrereton posted:

gently caress are you on about lol

Almost all of Europe now has pretty hard right government, including woke rear end pretty ones like Ireland or France. He is to the left within Europe even if he wants to leave it.

Continental Europe has been a petri dish for first world austerity, and no matter how often it fails they keep electing right wing governments.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/871690340180164608

GET HER JEZ

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

hakimashou posted:

You guys are just going to have to suffer through trumpism to one extent or another with us, fences can be mended later.

I don't think corbyn is some existential threat to britain or europe or stability, but he's not mainstream and he could be disruptive. He's far too friendly toward bad actors like Iran and probably Venezuela and suffers from the disgusting shame of many from that kind of left where American ""imperialism"" is imagined to be the worst of all ills. Its tragic that the good kind of leftism get stained with that debased wretchedness.

I don't think its too controversial to say that there is more to Corbyn than just Labour's manifesto. He doesn't seem very friendly to britain's powerful financial sector either.

I do believe and have said before that any harm he is able to do to NATO and the military solidarity of democratic countries might well be offset by making the brexit 'softer' and maintaining european solidarity there.

I do think he'd be probably be better for british people than Theresa May, and if I were British I could not bring myself to vote for a tory, just as I would never vote for a Republican here.

He is divisive and disruptive because he's outside the liberal political consensus of the democratic world. That's reason enough by itself for Russia to prefer him and for its agents like wikileaks to do their thing. The Brexit itself is the main boon to the Kremlin, but I don't think they're putting themselves out too much having wikileaks nudge things toward a little extra icing on the cake.

a good post imo

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

hakimashou posted:

It's from the british DnD thread. The yellow cartoon guy is Pissflaps, someone bought me this avatar to look like his. It's a great honor, he is one of the best posters on SA.

American imperialism certainly hasn't been good, but fellow travelers and other people tend to use it as a catch-all for everything American, and even at some of our worst moments it was means to a worthy end. Not all but some.

Like I said, the issue is when ""american imperialism"" with the big double quotation marks around it is fixated on as the worst thing on earth, even to the extent that people are willing to debase themselves by siding with real monsters.

I know that, I just didn't know the source of the cartoon person being flung.

They did, and most likely large sections of the left that I don't know about still do, but the thing is if you do lovely things you should stop saying "well that's worse!" Because it isn't an argument, its an excuse.

What is the difference between things like the Contras and their funding and "real monsters"? Because if there is one it is hard to envision. Or blowing up weddings, even if it is "by accident". The fact is that even if you are doing it for good reasons then the people are still just as dead and would probably prefer not to be.

Okay I needed to change some stuff around, because I was rabbiting too much. But what does "finance" do? What is its purpose, how does it make the UK richer of safer?

Josef bugman has issued a correction as of 15:14 on Jun 5, 2017

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

a good post imo

lol no, it's really loving bad

Iran is cool a heck and he's watched too many 80s movies to have any kind of good opinion on NATO.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
literally the biggest lmao in my life if true

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/871695327212044288

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Baron Corbyn posted:

There are more Americans in this thread who might not know enough about hak or British politics to realise he talks a load of bullocks :shrug:

he's also not british

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Karl Barks posted:

he's also not british

*deafening gasp*

*monocle flies off into orbit*

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/871725780535062528
Corb should go hard at Trump in response to this, getting attacked by Trump in return's basically the best possible thing that could happen to him.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
yesss im looking forward to orbyn joining this

https://twitter.com/teehaitchgee/status/870724115598061568

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

hak is 100% faking it btw, he's like a really unfunny toblerone triangle

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
hak has reasonable opinions and he's pro corbyn what more do you want

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

for him to stop posting

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
may has let what, 3 terror attacks happen in less than a year? she gonna get voted out?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

i'm no cop but i think this seems like a relatively easy case to crack

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

got any sevens posted:

may has let what, 3 terror attacks happen in less than a year? she gonna get voted out?

extremely unlikely but rather than winning in a landslide it could be really closed in which case the party might get rid of her because she hosed it up so badly. she's now less popular than corbyn despite being the most popular PM ever when she called the election

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

hak has reasonable opinions and he's pro corbyn what more do you want

recognising the rights and full humanity of the palestinian people

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Peel posted:

recognising the rights and full humanity of the palestinian people

i hear it's a lovely hill to die on

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The problem with the tankie/Maoist far left types isn't that they say America is imperialist and that's bad. Nobody can really argue when you look at our stated foreign policy and well-documented actions of the CIA. No, the problem with those guys is they think American imperialism explains everything bad that ever happens, and anyone who opposes America in any way for any reason is automatically good.

And I don't think Corbyn is like that really.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The problem with the tankie/Maoist far left types isn't that they say America is imperialist and that's bad. Nobody can really argue when you look at our stated foreign policy and well-documented actions of the CIA. No, the problem with those guys is they think American imperialism explains everything bad that ever happens, and anyone who opposes America in any way for any reason is automatically good.

And I don't think Corbyn is like that really.

i hope not

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Corbyn is a threat to Daddy US :qq:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Baron Corbyn posted:

There are more Americans in this thread who might not know enough about hak or British politics to realise he talks a load of bullocks :shrug:

thanks for the warning m8 :cheers:

jeremy corbyn is good

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Karl Barks posted:

he's also not british

incredibly fortunate imo :grin:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Frijolero posted:

Corbyn is a threat to Daddy US :qq:

corbyn is going to suck daddy off extra hard is he scraps the nukes actually lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

a good post imo

Sorry to helldump, but you're the dude who makes GBS posts about how great Elon Musk is, say things like "bleeding heart liberal" unironically, and claims that a person's wealth has a 1:1 correlation to the quality of decisions they've made.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Jeb! Repetition posted:

claims that a person's wealth has a 1:1 correlation to the quality of decisions they've made.

if you can find a source for this one beyond the tiny green men living in your head that would be cool

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

corbyn is going to suck daddy off extra hard is he scraps the nukes actually lol

Hmm yes, the dastardly Soviets and perfidious Chinese are just waiting to eliminate Anglo Land from the face of the earth. Thank god for the giant, bumbling decadent, US.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Sorry to helldump, but you're the dude who makes GBS posts about how great Elon Musk is, say things like "bleeding heart liberal" unironically, and claims that a person's wealth has a 1:1 correlation to the quality of decisions they've made.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if you can find a source for this one beyond the tiny green men living in your head that would be cool

Or, better idea, how about we don't do this at all?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Frijolero posted:

Hmm yes, the dastardly Soviets and perfidious Chinese are just waiting to eliminate Anglo Land from the face of the earth. Thank god for the giant, bumbling decadent, US.

dunno about eliminating but they've been pretty good at buying it up

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the only thing stopping Chinese and Russian oligarchs from sitting on Western property for financial purposes is having a strong united NATO, which is why they currently aren't doing that at all

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fullhouse posted:

the only thing stopping Chinese and Russian oligarchs from sitting on Western property for financial purposes is having a strong united NATO, which is why they currently aren't doing that at all

lol

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

dunno about eliminating but they've been pretty good at buying it up

So Russia/China bad because of unbridled capitalism?

And clinging to the #1 unbridled capitalist USA is good because?

Like you realize the US oversaw the transformation of Soviet Russia to an oligarchic shithole? And that the US is happy to let China run amok as long as the right lobbyists get paid?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Jose posted:

extremely unlikely but rather than winning in a landslide it could be really closed in which case the party might get rid of her because she hosed it up so badly. she's now less popular than corbyn despite being the most popular PM ever when she called the election

:lol:

how do you gently caress up that badly

jesus

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Stabbatical posted:

:lol:

how do you gently caress up that badly

jesus

Back in the immediate aftermath of 2012, forums poster Mitt Romney described those who had toxxed for his namesake as "deliberately setting up a bear trap around their own dick and then acting all shocked and dismayed when it clanged shut." It's a pretty good metaphor for how May in particular and the tories in general have behaved during this election cycle.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i know hope is a lie but i really think these terror arracks coupled with may wanting to cut police could be the thing that tips poo poo for labour. guess we'll see.

if the tories don't end up in power it'd be so loving hilarious on so many levels and also a good thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Part of the problem is there are only about 100 marginal seats out of 650 so gently caress all people actually decide elections

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
holy gently caress but yeah theresa may as dystopian fascist dom queen is a thing IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
She is like Zombie Clinton.