Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

Holy moly, an anti-privatization comment on TD, of all places. Informative too.

Up is down, down is up (the responses are still hosed up of course).

Good god those replies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

evilweasel posted:

What may torpedo this privatization plan is that strong, urban, democratic-area airports are all going to be profit centers for this corporation while weak, rural, republican-area airports will be money-losing boondoggles for this corporation, and the thought may percolate through red-state senator skulls that perhaps the free market is only appropriate when it benefits their constituents.

The idea that they care at all about their constituents is where you went wrong. It's not like they won't blame the democrats for their own families dying in a plane crash, so there's no reason to actually do anything for them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spaced God posted:

It's super cool, but like Texas they're gonna put redistricting off as long as humanly possible because "oh it takes a lot of resources"

i am torn between the idea that giving them the chance to redo their gerrymander 8 years in will actually give them an advantage by technically complying with the district court and doing all the gerrymandering with carefully race-neutral data, and that the new maps are under the direct supervision of the district court which is not interested in their nonsense and that the NC briefing was ranting that the principles the district court required them to use would help Democrats

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/871728039788511233

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Good god those replies.
Those replies seem pretty mild for TD, to be honest (which isn't saying much)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BardoTheConsumer posted:

The idea that they care at all about their constituents is where you went wrong. It's not like they won't blame the democrats for their own families dying in a plane crash, so there's no reason to actually do anything for them.

those are local economic interests they want to keep happy for (a) money for future campaigns (b) personal money for future jobs after politics

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

CommieGIR posted:

Is....is this real?
It's a public statement of the President of the united states of America.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I think this "privatization" is less privatization in the sense of selling the stuff to private owners to run for profit and more spinning it off into a nonprofit governmental corporation which operates in an odd legal world where it is controlled by the government but not part of the government so its exempt from some stuff but not all stuff about how the government must do business. A corporation isn't going to cut a check for a few billion to take it over. That said, I have no idea about the pros/cons behind this besides that if it's pushed by trump it's probably a stupid idea.

Like the Corporation for Public Broadcasting?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I think this "privatization" is less privatization in the sense of selling the stuff to private owners to run for profit and more spinning it off into a nonprofit governmental corporation which operates in an odd legal world where it is controlled by the government but not part of the government so its exempt from some stuff but not all stuff about how the government must do business. A corporation isn't going to cut a check for a few billion to take it over. That said, I have no idea about the pros/cons behind this besides that if it's pushed by trump it's probably a stupid idea.

It was first brought up during the Clinton administration. It's not a new idea.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

This article is not correct. First, we're talking a difference of one year in how long the old maps will be in place. It's not going to be significant and they try to make it significant by essentially decieving the reader: pointing out that North Carolina got to run 3 elections under the bad maps. Yes, true: but with the court-ordered remedy they'd have gotten to (in effect) run 2.5 elections under the bad maps. We're talking a difference of .5 elections, not 3. Second, the Supreme Court decision there was narrow and pretty much correct: ordering a state to hold off-year elections is a big deal and it's not authorized by statute: that's a court exercising equitable powers to fashion a new remedy that's never been used before. A court needs to explain its reasoning when taking a step like that: the court can go back and explain its reasoning and reach that exact conclusion again (though it'll be harder to explain how NC can manage to make new maps and hold special elections in 5 months instead of 11).

Thanks. Was going to post exactly this.

SCOTUS left the option on the table for special elections if a lower court is able to rule on a well reasoned argument that justifies the extraordinary measures.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lex Luthor is more eloquent than this :colbert:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

"Privatizing" certain government agencies as government-owned companies are common the world over. No idea what the merits or risks are, but there's nothing novel about it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Is....is this real?

Its an unfiltered thought that Trump farted out into the internet via twitter, but no they didn't write it on official white house stationary

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

The United States is expected to signal on Tuesday that it might withdraw from the United Nations Human Rights Council unless reforms are ushered in including the removal of what it sees as an "anti-Israel bias", diplomats and activists said.

The Council's critical stance of Israel has been a major sticking point for its ally the United States. Washington boycotted the body for three years under President George W. Bush before rejoining under Barack Obama in 2009.

The Council has no powers other than to rebuke governments it deems as violating human rights and to order investigations but plays an important role in international diplomacy.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Vegetable posted:

"Privatizing" certain government agencies as government-owned companies are common the world over. No idea what the merits or risks are, but there's nothing novel about it.

It usually works better when there's natural competition - i.e. privatizing phones (competition possible) works better than privatizing the road network (toll nightmare.) Privatizing air traffic control seems dumb because it's a safety system, not a service where competition makes sense. Planes go out as fast as they can go out. You can't get more runway spots by cutting corners, unless you like the idea of more huge aircraft accidents.

I'm sure Trump is just mad because private jets don't get priority over huge commercial planes full of family vacationers on their way to Disneyland in economy class.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Is that the one KSA is the head of? Because if so we should definitely reconsider being part of it for that reason

edit: also lol at T_D and /Trumpgen/ on /pol/ when they see that we are pulling out because other nations are too mean to Israel

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Human rights already don't exist in America anyways so this would be par for the course

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

It usually works better when there's natural competition - i.e. privatizing phones (competition possible) works better than privatizing the road network (toll nightmare.) Privatizing air traffic control seems dumb because it's a safety system, not a service where competition makes sense. Planes go out as fast as they can go out. You can't get more runway spots by cutting corners, unless you like the idea of more huge aircraft accidents.

I'm sure Trump is just mad because private jets don't get priority over huge commercial planes full of family vacationers on their way to Disneyland in economy class.

No, he is mad because he thinks air traffic controllers redirect planes to fly over Mar-a-lago just to piss him off.

(He dropped the lawsuit in 2016.)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Imagine requiring a profit motive to not kill someone.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Spaced God posted:

Human rights already don't exist in America anyways so this would be par for the course

Can you cool it with these takes, too hot for my taste

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oh jesus. why do we got to bat for them and why is trump so loving stupid.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Chilichimp posted:

Imagine requiring a profit motive to not kill someone.

I get a dollar every time I make it though a page without wanting to kill anyone here.

I'm flat loving broke.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Nazzadan posted:

Can you cool it with these takes, too hot for my taste

I'm a college aged Marxist, what can I say v:shobon:v

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

Those replies seem pretty mild for TD, to be honest (which isn't saying much)

I'm reeling at the janky, "can't do anything right right without a profit motive" poo poo.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

538 has fired up their midterm model. They said they are being more cautious and conservative than last year because they expect polling for the midterm to be infrequent, but even with that in mind they have it D+7 right now.

https://twitter.com/FiveThirtyEight/status/871775576750772225

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god please let this be why he's doing it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Not sure if this has been discussed yet.

Trey Gowdy is likely to become chair of House Oversight Committee.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hypothetically speaking, if I called Trump an inbred dog fucker on Twitter and he blocked me, could I still read his posts if people linked them here?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Nazzadan posted:

edit: also lol at T_D and /Trumpgen/ on /pol/ when they see that we are pulling out because other nations are too mean to Israel

They're confused about Israel because on one hand it's full of (((Israelis))) but on the other its an ethnostate run by an extremely right wing crazy person who treats their minorities like total poo poo and is hostile to the Arabic nations around it.

Plus "go Israel!" angers liberals.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 5, 2017

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Hypothetically speaking, if I called Trump an inbred dog fucker on Twitter and he blocked me, could I still read his posts if people linked them here?

i know a good way to find out

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's your right, nay, your duty to do so.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

quote:

Gowdy represents an attempt at compromise.

This broke my brain.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Press briefing with Sanders scheduled to start in 15 minutes

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Javes posted:

Why do air traffic controllers keep coming up in US policy debates over the decades?

Aside from the fact that controllers are unionized (which the GOP hates) and the uneven funding other posters mentioned, another reason is that it's because there are a lot of other countries (Canada, the UK, most of Europe) that have privatized ATC, but most of those setups are some kind of non-profit, which Trump doesn't understand.

One other reason the "privatize ATC!" thing comes up every so often is that airlines tend to like it.

The current FAA funding system relies partially on taxes on aviation fuel, which ends up being a fairly progressive system, since entities (like airlines) that buy lots of fuel can reasonably be assumed to use more ATC services than Joe Pilot flying around in his single engine Cessna on weekends.

Airlines dislike the fact that the fuel tax system means all aircraft in the US airspace system are generally treated equally, so if there were a setup that discouraged small aircraft from flying (via costly user fees) and shifted emphasis to airlines and hub airports, that's obviously going to be better for their bottom line.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

They're confused about Israel because on one hand it's full of (((Israelis))) but on the other its an ethnostate run by an extremely right wing crazy person who treats their minorities like total poo poo and is hostile to the Arabic nations around it.

Plus "go Israel!" angers liberals.

I decided to take a quick look at /tv/ yesterday to see what they thought of Wonder Woman, because I apparently hate myself. Anyway that's weirdly relevant because that conflicted idea of Israel played out in what they said about Gal Gadot:

On the one hand, she's their "Israelifu" and they love her. On the other, she was in the IDF and supports (((Israel))) and the (((Jews))), so she is bad and they should boycott Wonder Woman. On the other, other hand, that means they get to imagine she wants to kill all the Muslims, so she is good and they should go see Wonder Woman. It was a weird discussion to read.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Donald Trump's Twitter is almost as good as Eric the Actor's (RIP).

https://twitter.com/EricTheActor11/status/391028453006671872

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BarbarianElephant posted:

This is the same misunderstanding of privatization. This is going to be a non-profit government-controlled corporation, not a privately owned for-profit corporation.

I suspect that people are misunderstanding the proposal because trump didn't understand it either, of course.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

azflyboy posted:

Aside from the fact that controllers are unionized (which the GOP hates) and the uneven funding other posters mentioned, another reason is that it's because there are a lot of other countries (Canada, the UK, most of Europe) that have privatized ATC, but most of those setups are some kind of non-profit, which Trump doesn't understand.

the proposal is a non-profit

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This broke my brain.

What would a "non-compromise" candidate be? Jeff Sessions' KKK hood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Javes posted:

Why do air traffic controllers keep coming up in US policy debates over the decades?

Complaining about the ATC system and the FAA is the rich equivalent of complaining about highway traffic and the DMV.

The rich interact with them a ton more. They fly a lot more and ATC imposed delays are her closest they get to the hell that is modern economy air travel. They whine about aircraft noise over their mansions and demand route changes (often getting legislator buddies a call). Finally many are also pilots and ATCs are one of the only authorities that they have to respect and which doesn't treat them with white gloves.

• Locked thread