Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Looks like Sinvino Java Tea Red?

Edit: looks like it...

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I bought a PS4 Pro today. The first thing I did with it was buy a few Arcade Archives games and did a 1cc run of Gradius. It would have been a no-death run, but I hosed up at the end.

Such is my life of obsolescence.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Star Man posted:

I bought a PS4 Pro today. The first thing I did with it was buy a few Arcade Archives games and did a 1cc run of Gradius. It would have been a no-death run, but I hosed up at the end.

Such is my life of obsolescence.

Now buy Wild Arms: Reloaded.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Baron Snow posted:

Looks like Sinvino Java Tea Red?

Edit: looks like it...

Huh. Obviously I have the Japanese version and I don't have anything like that on the back of my case and the "Try Next Stage" screen is completely different. I wonder if there were actually two Japanese versions, one that was specifically for the tie in drink and the other that has most of that removed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Super random (and kind of dumb), but is there any way I might be able to get a blank/empty Game Boy game cartridge? The cartridge with no PCB or label even. I kind of want to get a filler for my Super Game Boy rather than let its connector be exposed to the elements.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

Super random (and kind of dumb), but is there any way I might be able to get a blank/empty Game Boy game cartridge? The cartridge with no PCB or label even. I kind of want to get a filler for my Super Game Boy rather than let its connector be exposed to the elements.

Perhaps buy some random pirate cart from china and remove the PCB and label?

Or something like this?

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 4, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

Huh. Obviously I have the Japanese version and I don't have anything like that on the back of my case and the "Try Next Stage" screen is completely different. I wonder if there were actually two Japanese versions, one that was specifically for the tie in drink and the other that has most of that removed.

I should have clarified: the in-game advertisements were in the original arcade version and the Japanese pre-release demo disc for the Saturn version but they were mostly scrubbed from the port.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nate RFB posted:

They used to sell dummy cartridges meant to be used to clean the contacts with some liquid cleanser, just like for other cartridge based systems. That would work.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Got myself a Genesis Model 2 with the shorter motherboard at a flea market today. $50 Canadian with an AC Adaptor, official controller, and RF switch. Not the greatest deal, and certainly not $10 Tengen Tetris good, but still :toot:

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 4, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Well I bought Disgaea for my PS2.

And I realized that even though it's a native PS2 game, it runs and outputs in 240p like a PSX game would.

And that my TV really doesn't like 240p over component.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

univbee posted:

Got myself a Genesis Model 2 with the shorter motherboard at a flea market today. $50 Canadian with an AC Adaptor, official controller, and RF switch. Not the greatest deal, and certainly not $10 Tengen Tetris good, but still :toot:

Did they throw in any games? I think there's a law on the books mandating that every old Genesis system must come with a few sports titles, Mortal Kombat, and either Sonic 2 or Sonic Spinball.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Kid Fenris posted:

Did they throw in any games? I think there's a law on the books mandating that every old Genesis system must come with a few sports titles, Mortal Kombat, and either Sonic 2 or Sonic Spinball.

Also Taz-Mania.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

Nope, seems all the games they had were like $10 minimum (including old loose sports games) but I have a Mega Everdrive so it doesn't matter.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Got my UltraHDMI 64 in, was wondering if I wanted to stream it to my buddy what would be the best route? My 780 GTX has an extra hdmi port but I'm not sure if it's as easy as plugging it in and finding software.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

meat police posted:

Got my UltraHDMI 64 in, was wondering if I wanted to stream it to my buddy what would be the best route? My 780 GTX has an extra hdmi port but I'm not sure if it's as easy as plugging it in and finding software.

Get a Elgato or other such capture device. The HDMI ports on your video card are output only.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Djarum posted:

Get a Elgato or other such capture device. The HDMI ports on your video card are output only.

Darn, thanks for the heads up!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I'm an idiot, but I just now noticed Excitebike has 3 plains of parallax scrolling(in its own crude way).

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Instant Sunrise posted:

Well I bought Disgaea for my PS2.

And I realized that even though it's a native PS2 game, it runs and outputs in 240p like a PSX game would.

And that my TV really doesn't like 240p over component.

Sounds like it's time to buy a framemeister to play a $20 game!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RodShaft posted:

I'm an idiot, but I just now noticed Excitebike has 3 plains of parallax scrolling(in its own crude way).

Play the rerelease on the 3ds if you want to see how mindfucking excitebike is with depth

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

Sounds like it's time to buy a framemeister to play a $20 game!

Or I could just buy the steam port.

Or a fat PS3.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Instant Sunrise posted:

Or a fat PS3.

that's the coward's way out

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Or a fat PS3.

Just what thread do you think you're in, boy-o?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Sorry for coming out of nowhere, but a couple of things jumped out from the last couple of pages that I randomly read:

You Am I posted:

There was a customer who would come into the computer store I worked at in the late 90s/early 2000s who was absolutely obsessed with Descent and Descent 2.

How obsessed you ask? He brought an ATi card that had video out so he could record himself playing Descent on his VCR. That card was mega bucks during that time.

He would annoy us at least once a week asking when Descent 3 was coming out.

He eventually left us after we upgraded his PC and he told us off because it somehow made Descent harder for him to play.
This is real. The homing missile movement is tied to the frame rate somehow, so with a high frame rate they can turn instantly, making them nearly impossible to dodge.

Re: Terminal Velocity. After playing Galaxy Force II on 3DS, I daydreamed about what a more modern version of it would be like and I realized that I was basically thinking of Terminal Velocity. The normal shooty bits seem like a natural evolution by removing the rails, but the tunnel sections are pretty drat similar to GF (although I don't remember if TV had branching tunnels). Anybody remember interviews of the design team mentioning their influences?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Instant Sunrise posted:

Or a fat PS3.

DS port or nothing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's Disgaea, "nothing" is the correct choice.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Cloks posted:

DS port or nothing.

Nah, the DS stuff is in the PC version now, it's the definitive.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Has anyone played Gunple Gunman's Proof? It's a Zelda clone a la LtTP set in the old west with aliens. I was planning on getting a re-pro cart to play this summer but all the game play I've seen online seems kind of shallow. I don't have the time to test it out on an emulator so I wanted to see if there was anyone out there who could give me their two cents.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Wizgot posted:

[hotlinked image]

Has anyone played Gunple Gunman's Proof? It's a Zelda clone a la LtTP set in the old west with aliens. I was planning on getting a re-pro cart to play this summer but all the game play I've seen online seems kind of shallow. I don't have the time to test it out on an emulator so I wanted to see if there was anyone out there who could give me their two cents.

Try not to hotlink images from HG101. They're good people.

Gunple is neat, I played a portion of it a number of years ago when I was testing my Super Wild Card DX2 rom copier. I won't call it as deep as LTTP but it has its own legs. I'd say give it a go.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

So I flip flopped and decided 'gently caress it, let's get bizzay'. :black101:

Ahhhh therapeutic. It no longer weighs a tonne [only half a tonne now :v:] and doesn't take up so much space. The jigsaw is an el cheapo that snapped two blades getting through it all, but despite almost setting some sections alight, it mostly went ok. I had some vaporwave playing on the stereo during prep time, but I probably shouldn't have had Carpenter Brut playing during the cutting part. It probably would have come out a lot straighter. :v:

I have to finish some minor sections with a planer or something to get them properly flat. It'll be getting two coats of three in one paint [prime, seal, mould resist] followed by two coats of high gloss white. I should have enough room for a 32" LCD that can mount on the cross bars, since a CRT was never an option, given how heavy the cab was empty. I'm thinking about blue t-mould, since the stuff in it is terrible and has been nailed in with pin nails, LED buttons so you can easily see what the controls are straight away, with the SEGA logo down both sides of the cab and across the control panel, alongside these ringed around each of the buttons:

At this point it's going to take a few months, but when it's complete it'll see a lot of use.

H1KE fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 5, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wizgot posted:

It's closer to Beyond Oasis or Crystalis. It looks like Zelda, especially the dungeon perspective, but it's really an action game. I wouldn't get a repro cart although I say that as someone who just bought a flashcart.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Gunman's Proof is also pretty short and more action oriented, I beat it in a weekend. The dungeons are mostly kill everything in a room, very few puzzles, and you strafe with L&R.

It is a bunch of fun but if that repro is more than $20 shipped I would skip it.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

quote:

Another concern occasionally raised by PlayStation devotees involves the company's once-ubiquitous PlayStation 2. While Sony has in recent years devoted resources to bringing a handful of popular older titles to the PlayStation 4, the better part of that library is lost to time. For now, it seems that's where it'll remain. "When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," says Ryan. "That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

http://time.com/4804768/playstation-...ro-psvr-sales/

Great, awesome.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Time is totally where I go for my Video Game Opinions™.

vv :toot: well it can't really be that surprising. I mean c'mon we can't even play the PSX games we already bought on PS4 :sigh:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 5, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's a guy from Sony saying it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That doesn't seem like a good example. Is there any reason to revisit the old PS1 GT games if the newer ones are available? I've never really played any of them but to me it sounds like complaining nobody is playing Madden 06 anymore.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is there any reason to revisit SMB 1 or 2 now that Galaxy and NSMB are out?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

That doesn't seem like a good example. Is there any reason to revisit the old PS1 GT games if the newer ones are available? I've never really played any of them but to me it sounds like complaining nobody is playing Madden 06 anymore.

NFL 2K5 on the other hand...

I think it depends on the game to be honest, yeah a seasonal game like Madden isn't in much demand, but people would probably want to come back to a game like Parappa the Rapper, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus or Katamari Damacy.

Also there's cases like Crazy Taxi where the original was a licensing clusterfuck so that any re-release would end up neutered and missing half of the music.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I still run a few laps in the original GT now and then. I think the question they should be asking themselves is why would anyone play PS1 games on their consoles when it's a better experience, graphically and feature-wise, on almost anything else.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I dunno, I for one am glad people are still playing Gran Turismo on the PS1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FilthyImp posted:

Is there any reason to revisit SMB 1 or 2 now that Galaxy and NSMB are out?

Yes? :confused:

A better way to phrase that would be "is there any reason to revisit SMB 1 or 2 now that we have All Stars," in which case the answer is yes because All Stars broke some poo poo and lost some of its original charm in the upgrades so I rescind my original statement. :eng99:

:lol:

• Locked thread