Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

fast cars loose anus posted:

Dang good for him

The Astros have a chance to straight up bury the division this month. Remaining games:
4 @ Royals
3 Angels
3 Rangers
3 Red Sox
4 @ A's
3 @ Mariners
3 A's
a 3 game series against the Yankees starts on the 30th.

Red Sox and Yankees are the only clubs over .500 in that stretch and there are a lot of games vs the division.

They're 4 games off the 2001 Mariners pace

Get it done Stros!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The AL outside of the Astros are real bad this year. Oakland is the worst team in the AL and is only 5.5 games behind in the wild card.

This means the Mariners, despite going to hell and putting up starters from AAA and waiver wires still have a chance to be in the playoffs.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

https://twitter.com/Brewers/status/871744403823616001

This was the PTBNL that completes the Thornburg/Shaw trade.

Tyler Thornburg: On the 60-day DL with what the Sox think is a nerve issue in his shoulder.
Red Sox 3B have combined for 54 wRC+ and -0.6 WAR so far this season.

Travis Shaw has a 123 wRC+ and 1.3 WAR.

:gary:

EDIT: Oh and the Brewers also got Mauricio Dubon, IF who is hitting .294/.346/.383 with 25 steals in AA.

Ugh, I hated that trade when I heard about it but this adds a new level of sting. :(

edit: On the bright side, Pablo is looking sort of OK since coming back.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

They're 4 games off the 2001 Mariners pace

Get it done Stros!

Yankees eliminating them in the ALCS would be cool, I suppose.

seiferguy posted:

The AL outside of the Astros are real bad this year. Oakland is the worst team in the AL and is only 5.5 games behind in the wild card.

This means the Mariners, despite going to hell and putting up starters from AAA and waiver wires still have a chance to be in the playoffs.

I think the NL is worse. Close spreads mean the league is more competitive, not less.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector_666 posted:

Tyler Thornburg: On the 60-day DL with what the Sox think is a nerve issue in his shoulder.

EDIT: Oh and the Brewers also got Mauricio Dubon, IF who is hitting .294/.346/.383 with 25 steals in AA.

Shaw has definitely paid off.

All told, we're doing better than most expectations this year (which simply were "better than last year"), but I think a lot of fans are waiting for them to fall off big time.

Oh well, none of us are expecting playoffs anyway.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
The only thing keeping me from full-throated Astros fandom in the AL is lack of updates on Collin McHugh. Astros fans: Will he likely have a seat at the table when he returns?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

Shaw has definitely paid off.

All told, we're doing better than most expectations this year (which simply were "better than last year"), but I think a lot of fans are waiting for them to fall off big time.

Oh well, none of us are expecting playoffs anyway.

I was telling Ice Fist about this and realized that Milwaukee actually has the lowest overall payroll in the MLB. They're looking pretty impressive as an overall organization right now.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Pancakes posted:

The only thing keeping me from full-throated Astros fandom in the AL is lack of updates on Collin McHugh. Astros fans: Will he likely have a seat at the table when he returns?

Unless Morton blows everyone away when he's off the DL, I'd pencil McHugh as the 4th starter behind Keuchel, McCullers, and (trade deadline pitcher) after the All-Star break.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

I was telling Ice Fist about this and realized that Milwaukee actually has the lowest overall payroll in the MLB. They're looking pretty impressive as an overall organization right now.

counterpoint: gently caress the Brewers

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I think we can call the NL East and AL West a wash and go from there, at which point they look pretty similar

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Unless Morton blows everyone away when he's off the DL, I'd pencil McHugh as the 4th starter behind Keuchel, McCullers, and (trade deadline pitcher) after the All-Star break.

I don't know Peacock looks absolutely filthy and could be a legit #3 starter

I could see the rotation being Keuchel/McCullers/Peacock/McHugh/Musgrove or maybe swap Musgrove out for Paulino

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poque posted:

counter-counterpoint: gently caress the Cubs and the entire bandwagon it's riding on right now.

You're cool though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Inspector_666 posted:

Eh, I don't trust Travis Shaw further than I can throw him. He put up a similar hot streak at the start of last year then cratered hard in the second half. If he's figured poo poo out good for him, but the existence of Devers makes it hard for me to super hate any 3B trades.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Intruder posted:

I don't know Peacock looks absolutely filthy and could be a legit #3 starter

Small sample size and everything, I'd just like to see how McHugh does when he comes back.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

iospace posted:

counter-counterpoint: gently caress the Cubs and the entire bandwagon it's riding on right now.

You're cool though.

Everybody should love the crew of 10 twenty-somethings in front row seats right behind home plate, all wearing brand new gold-numbered jerseys and dabbing every time the camera gets anywhere near them

:thunk:

in reality the Brewers are doing it absolutely right and will almost certainly be competing to be the 2018 or 2019 team in the Royals-Cubs-Astros-2018 chain

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

Your avatar works too well with posts like this.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

I suspect you might have waited until the exact day that the Royals or White Sox weren't in this position to make this observation.

The AL Central will out-suck everyone in the end!

e: I'm actually kind of terrified the Royals will believe they're 'in it' and not try to rebuild the farm.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hot take: I hope Mike Trout retires without a ring

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Perhaps I could interest you in a....Gerrit Cole, Intruder?

Would only take 1x Francis Martes, 1x Derek Fisher, and 1x Franklin Perez.

Who says no?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

Perhaps I could interest you in a....Gerrit Cole, Intruder?

Would only take 1x Francis Martes, 1x Derek Fisher, and 1x Franklin Perez.

Who says no?

The Pirates

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Three top 100's and 3 of the top 6 prospects, including the #1 for the Astros wouldn't be enough?

No way in hell I'd want Quintana for that. Maybe someone like Daz Cameron would be added as a high risk / reward prospect

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Honestly I think Fisher has played his way onto the big league club. I'd like to DFA Aoki (sorry guys) and call him up, but doesn't seem to be in the cards

If Fisher falls on his face in the majors you still have Marwin and Jake who can play the third outfield spot

Aoki has almost no value. He's giving you a 77 OPS+ from left field

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Hot take: I hope Mike Trout retires without a ring
ok but he needs to win more MVPs than Barrold then

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Second NL ASG voting update is out. I don't know where to find that convenient graphic with all of it but Rizzo is no longer leading at 1B so good job baseball nerds

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

Second NL ASG voting update is out. I don't know where to find that convenient graphic with all of it but Rizzo is no longer leading at 1B so good job baseball nerds

Heyward still in third among outfielders :c00l:

CATCHER
1. Buster Posey, Giants: 917,359
2. Willson Contreras, Cubs: 511,029
3. Yadier Molina, Cardinals: 478,406
4. Matt Wieters, Nationals: 300,980
5. Yasmani Grandal, Dodgers: 241,497

FIRST BASE
1. Ryan Zimmerman, Nationals: 670,671
2. Anthony Rizzo, Cubs: 657,702
3. Freddie Freeman, Braves: 401,982
4. Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs: 363,431
5. Matt Carpenter, Cardinals: 214,324

SECOND BASE
1. Daniel Murphy, Nationals: 1,149,130
2. Javier Baez, Cubs: 715,928
3. Brandon Phillips, Braves: 185,862
4. DJ LeMahieu, Rockies: 175,435
5. Kolten Wong, Cardinals: 171,848

THIRD BASE
1. Kris Bryant, Cubs: 895,752
2. Nolan Arenado, Rockies: 613,571
3. Justin Turner, Dodgers, 362,952
4. Anthony Rendon, Nationals: 295,369
5. Jedd Gyorko, Cardinals: 275,281

SHORTSTOP
1. Corey Seager, Dodgers: 604,783
2. Zack Cozart, Reds: 547,750
3. Addison Russell, Cubs: 537,688
4. Chris Owings, D-backs: 328,217
5. Trea Turner, Nationals: 323,751

OUTFIELD
1. Bryce Harper, Nationals: 1,459,235
2. Charlie Blackmon, Rockies: 979,961
3. Jason Heyward, Cubs: 498,079
4. Ben Zobrist, Cubs: 472,114
5. Matt Kemp, Braves: 457,586
6. Kyle Schwarber, Cubs: 423,394
7. Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins: 398,569
8. Marcell Ozuna, Marlins: 392,973
9. Yoenis Cespedes, Mets: 327,116
10. Dexter Fowler, Cardinals: 268,545
11. Jay Bruce, Mets: 245,634
12. Jayson Werth, Nationals: 236,367
13. Adam Duvall, Reds: 234,099
14. Yasiel Puig, Dodgers: 206,743
15. Ryan Braun, Brewers: 188,192

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wonder how much of a boost Harper got from the fight.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Kirios posted:

Three top 100's and 3 of the top 6 prospects, including the #1 for the Astros wouldn't be enough?

For 2.5 seasons of an established ace? Nope.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

iospace posted:

I wonder how much of a boost Harper got from the fight.

The article I grabbed those numbers from said he got like 550k since the last update and kind of hinted that the fight caused him to have a huge increase, which is hilarious.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Freddie still at 3rd and holding strong even though he hasn't played in weeks

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
only brewer even on the list is ryan braun who has barely played this season because he is a fragile glassman without his special juice.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

cis autodrag posted:

only brewer even on the list is ryan braun who has barely played this season because he is a fragile glassman without his special juice.

He's been fragile with it.

What I'm saying is he needs to go.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well also don't forget: gently caress Ryan Braun

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
What's the Ryan Braun story?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At least he's on the DL, so it leaves a roster spot open for someone else.

Some Numbers posted:

Between him and Prince Fielder, they helped shepherd in the Brewers in the late 00's as a pretty good team that made it to the NLCS one year (losing to the Cards). Signed a huge deal with the Crew, won MVP, proceeded to get busted for PEDs.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Some Numbers posted:

he's holding matt kemp's mvp hostage and sent a cut-and-pasted letter through the mail saying he will only give it back in exchange for a knapsack full of syringes and pills

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

iospace posted:

At least he's on the DL, so it leaves a roster spot open for someone else.

Between him and Prince Fielder, they helped shepherd in the Brewers in the late 00's as a pretty good team that made it to the NLCS one year (losing to the Cards). Signed a huge deal with the Crew, won MVP, proceeded to get busted for PEDs.

And then Aaron Rodgers bet to give a fan his salary if Braun had actually taken PEDs, so sure was he that it wasn't true

No word on how that went

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

He's been fragile with it.

What I'm saying is he needs to go.

yeah, i was yelling all last year how stupid it was that they weren't trying to sell him off when he had like 3 months of uninjured high-performance baseball. his trade value hit a high watermark somewhere around last August and they just did nothing with him. probably because his contract is really fuckin big and he's a dick with a reputation for being injury prone.

it shouldn't be any surprise that they're pushing guys like Thames, Arcia, and Peres as faces of the franchise now because braun is toxic even among brewer fans. we ignored what an rear end he was through the steroid thing because he was good and helped our team. but now he's just sitting with dumb injuries all the time and he tried to murder jean segura with a baseball bat so we're all just kind of over him now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Some Numbers posted:

He's a cheating fraud gently caress who stole the MVP from Matt Kemp by shoving needles up his rear end, then wiggled out of it because of a dumb technicality around the delivery of his urine sample. He's also a huge rear end in a top hat who does cool things like openly make fun of a mentally handicapped bat girl while the camera is on him in the dugout.

Basically gently caress Ryan Braun.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Remember when we Astros fans were telling everyone Hunter Pence is so much better and cooler and more handsome than Ryan Braun and kept getting shot down? :colbert:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also

https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/842500432031186944

:jerkbag: sorry for wasting your time, guy who makes like 19 million a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Some Numbers posted:

Braun got popped in 2011 for elevated levels of testosterone. In February 2012, he challenged the test on a chain of custody issue (the guy who took the sample, instead of immediately shipping it to the testing facility, kept it in a refrigerator in his basement over the weekend before taking it to FedEx), and actually suggested that the sample-taker was an anti-Semite. Ultimately arbitrator Shyam Das upheld Braun's challenge, saying there was enough validity to the appeal that his suspension was to be overturned. MLB was absolutely livid about it, and actually fired Das over the decision.

Anyway, Braun held a press conference after his appeal was upheld, and had the balls to say this:

quote:

“Today is for anyone who has been wrongly accused and everyone who stood up for what’s right. It’s about future players and the game of baseball.”

A year later, his name popped up in connection with Biogenesis, and he wound up being suspended for the last third of the 2013 season plus the playoffs.

• Locked thread