Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Nepalese is really lovely on the occasion I manage to find a dish that's not cooked with peanut oil. Though that's pretty much the case with all SEA cuisine other than Japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I guess this is the time of the year where I replay old PS1 RPGs or something because I spent a ton of time yesterday just playing Xenogears.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nina posted:

Nepalese is really lovely on the occasion I manage to find a dish that's not cooked with peanut oil. Though that's pretty much the case with all SEA cuisine other than Japanese

Northern Indian food, ie from Punjab, usually uses mustard oil, though whether the restaurants in your area would bother is up for debate I guess

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

I still can't get over someone thinking that tuna noodle casserole is a soggy puddle. I read that post and for a moment I was angry, but then I realized that it wasn't that the poster's fault. Like an abused dog that's afraid of being petted, I feel pity for them and angry at the world.

They might have just had a horrible experience with it. Heaven knows I did. When I was somewhere between 5 and 7 years-old, my mom made some tuna noodle casserole and it was just absolutely hideous. A large, steaming pile of overcooked noodles covered in a mixture of who-knows-what and tuna, looking, smelling, and tasting like vomit. I couldn't eat it. It made me physically ill to try to eat it. So that's why she sat me at a small table with it and kept an eye on me until I ate it all as punishment for not liking it.

I've had comparable things (tuna in pasta can be good!!) but that was just the most dreadful, awful thing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't play fighting games, what makes it stand out?

Well honestly in terms of feature set it's actually worse than practically every other competitor on the market and apparently the online is just flat out broken on console, but it's the first Tekken I've ever played, and it has an absolutely fantastic free form combo system that lets you mix and match some moves. With just like 15 minutes in training mode you can put together a combo of your own and feel like you found out something cool. It obviously won't be optimal but it's yours, which is more important. And the netcode is great once you're actually in a match after the like, minutes of load times

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
(sorta low grade P5 spoilers but I was delighted when I discovered this goofy poo poo and don't wanna ruin it for anyone)

I like how it makes cat noises when you pounce on unsuspecting enemies

Mementos is OK I guess in the fact that most of the rewards seem to suck so you can just blaze right through it if you want without missing much. Can't help but feel that the game is kiiiinda wasting my time with this though and I just shouldn't do it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Good news, Contra fans!!!

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/871737521381756928

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

(sorta low grade P5 spoilers but I was delighted when I discovered this goofy poo poo and don't wanna ruin it for anyone)

I like how it makes cat noises when you pounce on unsuspecting enemies

Mementos is OK I guess in the fact that most of the rewards seem to suck so you can just blaze right through it if you want without missing much. Can't help but feel that the game is kiiiinda wasting my time with this though and I just shouldn't do it.

You have to do it eventually anyway

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Apparently contra is super popular in China because it was on nearly every bootleg console, to the point where they're making a movie of it specifically for them.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

You have to do it eventually anyway

ugh OK I'll do it

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Phantasium posted:

Apparently contra is super popular in China because it was on nearly every bootleg console, to the point where they're making a movie of it specifically for them.

lol that owns

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

ugh OK I'll do it

Additionally most non-party member S-links require you to complete a mementos quest at some point

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

ugh OK I'll do it

You can't escape the lovely procgen persona dungeons!!!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I know a lot of people don't like selling their games and especially not to GameStop but this is actually neat, I think.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/05/youll-soon-able-use-gamestop-trade-credit-amazon-account/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phantasium posted:

I know a lot of people don't like selling their games and especially not to GameStop but this is actually neat, I think.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/05/youll-soon-able-use-gamestop-trade-credit-amazon-account/

Now all they need to do is make the exchange rate not hosed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Now all they need to do is make the exchange rate not hosed.

For your Xbox we offer.... Five dollars

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

You can't escape the lovely procgen persona dungeons!!!

P5 tricked me by not introducing them until after the first actual dungeon!

Second real dungeon was great- everything's so pretty and stylish in this game; drat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't mind a procedurally generated dungeon or two but it's dumb that all the enemies in Mementos are like 10 levels lower than you and there's no reason to fight any of them, ever

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I feel like that's the point; they exist for you to pick up any Personas you might have missed or skipped in the previous dungeon while letting you engage or blow past them as you wish while doing your runs to the bottom or for sidequests. I honestly found it kinda chill despite the lame background music since I got to stock up on free cash, items and equipment without having to worry about time management for a bit.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Like the quests in there won't all just pile up so I can wipe them out all at once will they? Do I have to go in periodically to clear them so I get new ones?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think you have to do some of the ones from Mishima before he'll give you others, but you can totally build up a backlog from other sources like Confidants. I've seen plenty of people say they usually wait until they have 3 or more just so they aren't wasting days going right in and out for one fight.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey folks I picked up a game called The Long Journey Home and I wanted to tell you all it's a hidden gem. Great space adventure title. It almost makes me feel like I'm playing Star Control 2 again.

Check it out if you haven't heard of it. Wanted to call some attention to it since I've seen or heard basically no buzz about it but it's really great thanks for reading.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey folks I picked up a game called The Long Journey Home and I wanted to tell you all it's a hidden gem. Great space adventure title. It almost makes me feel like I'm playing Star Control 2 again.

Check it out if you haven't heard of it. Wanted to call some attention to it since I've seen or heard basically no buzz about it but it's really great thanks for reading.

That pricetag is really high...

I hear it's kinda content-light, too? How far into it are you?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

StrixNebulosa posted:

That pricetag is really high...

I hear it's kinda content-light, too? How far into it are you?

Like five hours or so. Maybe the interesting stuff drops off, don't know. I'm not saying rush out and buy it right now if you're unsure about it, just putting it on the radar.

Once I get some more time in with it I will present my findings.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Like five hours or so. Maybe the interesting stuff drops off, don't know. I'm not saying rush out and buy it right now if you're unsure about it, just putting it on the radar.

Once I get some more time in with it I will present my findings.

Okay, cool. I hope it stays good - Star Control 2 was a rad game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Why don't people just sell their games to other people? you can easily net like 50 to 60 percent of what it sells for new, maybe a little more

It's not hard and takes as much as effort as driving to the local Gamestop, I guess finding a buyer can seem annoying but to be fair every single thing I have ever posted for sale online has always gotten bought

And I mean every single thing

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

What.... did you sell? :stare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sell... games? :confused:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Why don't people just sell their games to other people? you can easily net like 50 to 60 percent of what it sells for new, maybe a little more

It's not hard and takes as much as effort as driving to the local Gamestop, I guess finding a buyer can seem annoying every single thing I have ever posted for sale online has always gotten bought

That takes time, it's trivial and quick to just drive a boatload of poo poo to a store and have them take nearly everything.

I say this as somebody that had to sell off a large part of a collection nearly ten years ago on eBay and the babysitting required to find the right price that people will buy it at and deal with the plethora of braindead morons who will ask you to do poo poo against eBay's tos or try to undercut you on prices (when you went to the trouble of finding the cheapest available auction and undercut that already to make poo poo sell faster) is super annoying.

And then there's craiglist which isn't viable around here because nobody checks it when it's chock full of people selling decade's old sportsgames in bulk as a "deal" for $200.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

What.... did you sell? :stare:

They don't call him King slime for nothing :wink:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

KingSlime posted:

It's not hard and takes as much as effort as driving to the local Gamestop, I guess finding a buyer can seem annoying but to be fair every single thing I have ever posted for sale online has always gotten bought

Dumping a few things on a Gamestop desk is still easier than eBay.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Like the quests in there won't all just pile up so I can wipe them out all at once will they? Do I have to go in periodically to clear them so I get new ones?

Doing them often unlocks new ones or is needed to advance social links (especially the guy who runs the website) so you wanna go in every so often. You're generally ok to leave it until you clear the current dungeon if you wanna do that first, though. Plus sometimes requests will ask you to go lower than you currently can, in which case all you can do is wait and ignore the texts your friends send you asking you to go do them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have a ton of duplicates and stuff I want get rid of that I need to sort out one day...

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
let's just say these are frugal times, friends

Sakurazuka posted:

Dumping a few things on a Gamestop desk is still easier than eBay.

Yeah but you get a sliver of their value, when you adjust for effort vs payoff, ebay get you much much more for a little tiny bit more work.

I guess I'm used to selling stuff online but I think it's really easy to whip up a post, forget about it til monies come in, and ship something out while running other errands.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 5, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Amazon has been doing their own trade-in thing for a while, too. I don't know if it's more or less predatory than GameStop, though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

They don't call him King slime for nothing :wink:

So he sold his Dragon Quest collection?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, cool. I hope it stays good - Star Control 2 was a rad game.

I realized that I'm offering basically nothing to entice anyone, so here are my initial thoughts on why this game is making a good impression with me...

What I'm really digging so far is the way you explore and the atmosphere in general. Planetary exploration is straight out of Star Control 2. You get a rough readout of the hazards, what minerals/bio/ruins are detectable from orbit, and then weigh the risk/reward of sending your destructible lander. You can acquire upgrades for the lander (and your main ship) by trading with aliens (or other methods?) to help weather lightning/magma/whatever to improve your abilities over time.

The aliens are varied and charming. Some are friendly, some are mean, some are goofy. I met a "warrior menace" race who shouts "BLOOD OR COIN" whenever you meet one, obviously indicating they will attack if you don't pay. But in a nice twist, if you cripple their ship they pop back up shouting "BLOOD OR COIN" on the comms again, asking what you want from them as tribute. I chose blood and he self destructed his ship, leaving me some salvage and his head as a trophy. I took the head to their nearest station ran by his species, presented it to them, and then they gave me an offer to take over his job.

The potential drudgery of exploration is greatly helped by the variety of activities available. This part is actually an improvement on the Star Control formula imo. In SC2 you basically just had the lander going on surfaces. It might be fiery or lightning filled or whatever but it was all the same basic gist. In this you have multiple types of places to explore/harvest. In addition to standard terrestrial landings (which are themselves varied) you have asteroid belt mining, gas giant harvesting, and host of deep space encounters. All of these play out in different ways with unique mechanics. In asteroid belts you have navigate a moving field of rocks to located the harvest-able ones. Collisions will cause damage to the hull, and sometimes you have to let the loot go to avoid being smashed. In gas giants you have to navigate the various jet streams full of scoopable gases. The lower portions of the gas giants have rarer gases, but the pressure starts to build. The longer you stay the more you risk damage to the lander, but the wealth of fuel resources is tempting.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Each game you sell is another 1000 years of your soul being tortured in hell

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 5, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

There's also a game with the terrible name of DEATHWAR 2020 which is surprisingly good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Amazon has been doing their own trade-in thing for a while, too. I don't know if it's more or less predatory than GameStop, though.

It's kind of still annoying because they print out a label for you that you have to use on your own box or envelope, then you have to wait on shipping and their approval process which the one time I did it took nearly a month.

• Locked thread