Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Frush posted:

I'm sure this gets asked all the time, but I'm just starting and trying it out. The server from the OP is full, what are people playing on these days?

Also are rifles any good, since I normally skew that way?

Most of us are on Maguuma, but yet again (and this is in the OP), server only matters for WvW, and you can transfer to Maguuma later. Roll wherever you want, join the guilds, enjoy games with goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Frush posted:

I'm sure this gets asked all the time, but I'm just starting and trying it out. The server from the OP is full, what are people playing on these days?

Join maguuma we are the best server and are cool, and also your choice of server only matters for WvW since all other things in the game are server-indifferent meaning you can play with people from any server.

All weapons and all classes are good. Rifle is always good and cool on all of the 2 classes that can use it.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I noticed that Minstrel armor is expensive as gently caress (what the hell, freshwater pearls @ 8g+ per) so instead of gearing that WvW healer druid that might get shafted on rewards, I decided to just buy my warrior a hammer. Apparently, my PvE berserker build gear pretty seamlessly transitions to a WvW build if I just switch my second weapon to a hammer with 2 PvP sigils.

Also why do hammers have so many great skins while greatswords don't? Almost all GS skins are gaudy or grotesque slabs while I'd prefer something more.. grounded. There's only three greatsword skins I like; Mistwild, Ascalonian and Gallant. Merciless would be good if it didn't have the middle part. Mistwild GS looks so great but to get it you have to complete a level 99 fractal and :lol: if that's ever going to happen.

Here's my battle cat:

and also his pet human:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Rifle is the weakest main hand weapon available to engineers in every single game mode. In PvE it is only used to fill one or two holes in a power damage build's rotation, while in the competitive game modes it is strangled by the immense amounts of projectile hate.

I don't play warrior and therefore can't advise you either way on their rifle.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Trogdos! posted:

Also why do hammers have so many great skins while greatswords don't? Almost all GS skins are gaudy or grotesque slabs while I'd prefer something more.. grounded. There's only three greatsword skins I like; Mistwild, Ascalonian and Gallant. Merciless would be good if it didn't have the middle part. Mistwild GS looks so great but to get it you have to complete a level 99 fractal and :lol: if that's ever going to happen.
I feel like the problems the opposite: most hammer skins are these tiny little things that look like toothpicks in most characters' hands (hell, you posted a great example yourself) while greatswords have tons of impressive-looking skins.

(also there's tons of utilitarian-looking weapon skins, like all those generic skins low-level crafted weapons use, but no one uses them because they're boring as hell :ssh:)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The problem with GW2 hammers is that they are used and held in a "realistic" way like ^^ in that picture above, and they tend to be quite small too. But since this is a game, I'd like to wield a HUGE HAMMER OF THE GODS which is held more towards the bottom of the shaft and one could smite judgment over the heads of hapless foes with it. I like the HoM hammer skin Icebreaker, Genesis & Entropy and I would probably like Mjölnir too but it's expensive as hell.

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017
Fair warning, druid and warrior aren't super meta in WvW for zerg fighting, so if you happen to have a super try hard commander running, he might boot your from squad and passive aggressive poo poo like that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Frush posted:

You can play PvE stuff with anyone on any sever, so pick anything. Being on Maguuma only matters for World vs World stuff. Other than that it's meaningless.

Warriors and Engineers can use rifles and they're pretty fun on each.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
https://twitter.com/tivac/status/870708774339727365

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
now Tivac is just one of us.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

tivac fired, the prophecy was true

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:psyduck:

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Kessel posted:

Rifle is the weakest main hand weapon available to engineers in every single game mode. In PvE it is only used to fill one or two holes in a power damage build's rotation, while in the competitive game modes it is strangled by the immense amounts of projectile hate.

I don't play warrior and therefore can't advise you either way on their rifle.

I run GS/Rifle warrior since I built The Predator a couple years ago, and I think it's a pretty good power-based ranged option. I think they could stand to boost the damage a bit, and I wouldn't take it to raids, but it does fine for T4 fractals against things like thaumnova anomaly and other bosses you want to range. The 5 skill is also a pretty good knockback/cc, and the berserk skill is a stun as well, so it brings pretty good cc as a bonus. Most groups aren't short on vulnerability stacks, but a couple of the skills inflict a decent number of them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tivac noooo

Now you have to play with us more

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017

I can't decide if this is the world's biggest dumbshit or a massive troll.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Now Tivac can dish us all the dirt. Hope it was voluntary bud.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Who's Tivac other than an ex-Anet employee?

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

lucifirius posted:

Who's Tivac other than an ex-Anet employee?

He's this poster. He's always been very professional and I wish him luck on whatever he's doing next!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745583&userid=33775

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Oh a Goon! Nice.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Papal Mainframe posted:

Fair warning, druid and warrior aren't super meta in WvW for zerg fighting, so if you happen to have a super try hard commander running, he might boot your from squad and passive aggressive poo poo like that.

What are considered "meta" guys for WvW now? I mean i'll probably just keep playing my engineer but curious what this game has evolved to if warriors aren't gods chosen class anymore.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
https://metabattle.com/wiki/WvW for build guides. The stat choices aren't for the most part set in stone, how much you dedicate to offense and defense comes down to personal preference.

When it comes to team fights, Guardians have always been on top due to the incredible support they provide. Currently Reapers are ~the meta~ dps, but seriously nobody cares what you bring to a public zerg. If you find a commander who has enough time to individually scrutinize people's builds then :laffo:

"Private" guild groups are a different thing of course but they don't want outsiders no matter what build they run.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Metabattle is pretty outdated afaik, check the OP! A better link is http://qtfy.eu/builds/

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Qtfy doesn't have WvW builds though, right?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh duh, you're right it's for pve/raid metas. Good point!!

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Metabattle isn't supported by DPS meters or Big Data Science.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Metabattle is definitely outdated, but I think that's all there really is out there as far as a WvW build resource is concerned. There was a Reddit thread about WvW builds too, recently, aimed at helping people who are new to WvW but want to get into it, with a few suggestions and I think links to the Metabattle builds that are still relevant.

As far as I know, the overall, generic WvW build advice is:

- Don't go glass cannon.
- Learn how your profession can provide group support and build for it (while also building for personal survivability).
- Staff Elementalist isn't as good at zerg damage as you might expect.
- If all else fails, be a Guardian, grab a staff, tag everything, and roll around in loot.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 5, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Staff elementalist is super useful though because of fire 5, for reach arrow carts and poo poo on walls

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Staff elementalist is super useful though because of fire 5, for reach arrow carts and poo poo on walls

Yeah, Ele is great as an artillery piece. Whenever I go WvW I spec firestaff.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Ele is still really useful, you just can't expect to wear full Berserker and not get blown up. Tempests make amazing healers in WvW while still contributing some damage, and that works well with both dagger+focus or warhorn, or staff. You might be able to get away with being artillery full-time if you're really good or the rest of your group is good at keeping you alive, though.

Incidentally, I've basically stopped playing my Mesmer entirely after realizing that Tempest is a whole ton of fun. I wrote it off for a while because I thought it was a really boring elite spec at first glance, but overloads are fantastic and Elementalist itself is already amazing, so I'm pretty much all-in on Ele now. God I love this profession.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 5, 2017

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I am about to finally get my warrior to 80, a few years ago I spent quite a bit of time in WvW as a level ~40 warrior running around with a longbow + sword/warhorn. I just want to do that at 80 since warhorn is pretty solid for the group and the burst skill on the longbow drops a pretty huge AOE.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh duh, you're right it's for pve/raid metas. Good point!!

Maybe you should have a website with :krad: DENTIST APPROVED WVW BUILDS

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^^ actually, that could be awesome

I was trying to decide which alt I wanted to do HoT and specialization for next, after my engy and guard, and I'm caught between necro and ele right now. Tempest just looks so good so I'm tempted as poo poo...

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Give in to the tempestation. Re

lucifirius posted:

Maybe you should have a website with :krad: DENTIST APPROVED WVW BUILDS

It would be 20 variants of Nomad Guardian.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I started doing a mace/staff guardian after one of the metabattle builds. It's okay, I guess. I think I need to get the elite specialization so I can use the longbow.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
How accessible would you say raids are? Asking for a stupid newbiefriend.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN

CLAM DOWN posted:

Metabattle is pretty outdated afaik, check the OP! A better link is http://qtfy.eu/builds/

The OP says that the Ranger's elite specialization is Reaper, tbh it seems p untrustworthy and outdated :chord:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I was trying to decide which alt I wanted to do HoT and specialization for next, after my engy and guard, and I'm caught between necro and ele right now. Tempest just looks so good so I'm tempted as poo poo...

I can't recommend Tempest highly enough. It really brought the fun back into my GW2-playing. When I feel like putting in effort, I get to zip all over the place and throw out a bunch of damage and support in all my attunements. When I feel like being lazy, I just flip between fire and air attunements overloading and either turning into a fire tornado or nuking huge groups of enemies with lightning while my character yells "LIGHTNING BOLT!"

Tempest owns

If they'd managed to make the Tempest's new weapon and utility skills keep with the "overflowing elemental power" feeling that the overloads have it'd be a perfect elite spec. Then again, warhorn and shouts are actually useful and fun so even though they kind of feel dissonant with the spec's overall theme, I do like using them. It's like Tempest is two halves of two different elite specs stapled together, but both halves are fun and good so it somehow manages to be fun and good anyway.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 5, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Trogdos! posted:

The OP says that the Ranger's elite specialization is Reaper, tbh it seems p untrustworthy and outdated :chord:

It does not!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
What's this then :colbert:

• Locked thread