Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Sanders even better than Spicey at doubling down on every last tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Harik posted:

How the gently caress was this supposed to work? Were we just counting on their citizens expecting "Papers, please!" around every street corner and not realizing you could freely travel inside the US?

How does any visa restriction work in any country? Most visa rules in most countries are 80% honor based and 20% "if we catch you we will kick you out and never let you back in" instead of any real minute to minute enforcement.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/871792065163800578

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Majorian posted:

This is the assumption that Dems made in 2016, and it absolutely didn't pan out: "Oh, look at Trump's negatives! We don't need to link Republicans to him; it will alienate those white affluent moderate suburbanites that we want to win, and people know not to vote for the party Trump's running with anyway."

if you're going to say stupid things that don't make sense if you read the rest of my post i suppose it makes it less obvious if you delete the parts you didn't read, but it's still stupid you couldn't read a single sentence all the way to the end before mashing post

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Sanders is getting bodied lol

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Trump: "I want to literally fist fight the mayor of london! Sad!"

WH: "I haven't had time to discuss with the president the issue of fist fighting the mayor of london. next?"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It's not a ban, it's a 219000 hour probation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Krispy Kareem posted:

You guys remember how even with polls picking Hillary, electoral history said the Republican should win the election? And that one researcher who has correctly predicted every election in the last couple of decades said his data pointed to Trump regardless of common sense? Even when 'nothing matters', stuff still matters.

The GOP will lose the House in 2016 because every party loses seats after a President is inaugurated. The combination of Trump supporters pissed off at mainstream GOP obstruction and mainstream GOP voters despondent over the President will suppress their vote just enough for an energized Democratic base to flip enough seats to split the legislative branch.

The question now is how much will they lose and will the Senate be in play.

"Losing seats" will definitely happen. IDK about the House. It's a lot of seats.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
"Is anyone vetting his tweets?"

"Wellll, not really......"

Oh gods we're so dead.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kammat posted:

"Is anyone vetting his tweets?"

"Wellll, not really......"

Oh gods we're so dead.

No you see, it's important that he have that contact with the 100 million totally not bots unfiltered by liberal media spin!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Javes posted:

Sanders is getting bodied lol

yeah but unlike Spicer she's pretty good at keeping her cool and not yelling at reporters

she has made a couple whiny remarks about people not being polite which were pretty eyeroll worthy

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

evilweasel posted:

I suspect that people are misunderstanding the proposal because trump didn't understand it either, of course.
I'm not even sure there's a >50% chance Trump knows he signed a meaningless statement of principles. He probably thinks he signed a bill/order and will get really mad several months down the road if reminded that nothing has happened with ATC.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Krispy Kareem posted:

You guys remember how even with polls picking Hillary, electoral history said the Republican should win the election? And that one researcher who has correctly predicted every election in the last couple of decades said his data pointed to Trump regardless of common sense?

that researcher is a lying weasel

his "correct prediction in every election in the past couple of decades" relied on saying he got 2000 right when he picked gore because gore won the popular vote

so when he says he predicted a trump win, he means he predicted a trump popular vote win and guess what didn't happen

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

evilweasel posted:

i don't believe anyone who wasn't in a coma for 2016 will be complacent in any election in their lifetimes from here on out

Oh how I wish you were right but voter turnout during midterms is almost always pathetic. I can't even begin to tell you how many don't even know about midterms and think the only elections that happen in this country are presidential elections.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regarding Trump's base still loving him, our pal Nate Silver has thoughts on that:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/871788305737756673

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
EXTREME VETTING! *power guitar chord*

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Charliegrs posted:

Oh how I wish you were right but voter turnout during midterms is almost always pathetic. I can't even begin to tell you how many don't even know about midterms and think the only elections that happen in this country are presidential elections.

voter turnout was alright in 2006, the last time there was both a cripplingly incompetent and blindingly obvious republican administration and a republican congress discussing bills to gut entitlements that people hate with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
"The tweets are important because it gets the president's message across unfiltered directly to the people"

"But stop focusing on them so much, Media, gosh"

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Kammat posted:

EXTREME VETTING! *power guitar chord*

... it's extremely important!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I just want someone to call the WH reps out for repeatedly calling the media liars to their face. Get mad! They're directly insulting you, do something about it.

I know this would be a bad move because it means playing their game but gently caress it makes me angry to see that go unchallenged constantly.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Not That I'm Aware Of

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
ask if Trump believes climate change is real

please

then keep doing it every briefing until you get a yes/no

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chard posted:

I just want someone to call the WH reps out for repeatedly calling the media liars to their face. Get mad! They're directly insulting you, do something about it.

I know this would be a bad move because it means playing their game but gently caress it makes me mad to see that go unchallenged constantly.

the problem is if they do that, then they validate the "media vs. trump" narrative

civil society relies on other republicans calling this poo poo out and whoops they're all soulless weasels

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

evilweasel posted:

if you're going to say stupid things that don't make sense

There's no need for that; I'm not trying to be disrespectful to you.

quote:

if you read the rest of my post i suppose it makes it less obvious if you delete the parts you didn't read, but it's still stupid you couldn't read a single sentence all the way to the end before mashing post

The rest of your post didn't really answer my criticism, though:

quote:

and (c) everyone else is saying why trump sucks they'd rather say why they'd be good

This doesn't address the need for Democrats to tie Republicans to Trump. Trump may be stylistically different from Ryan and McConnell, but they ultimately have the same aims: make most Americans poorer, dumber, and more paranoid. That's something that can't be emphasized enough.

e: I'm glad that you recognize the need for the Dems to say why they'd be good, but they really do need to do both things at the same time.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 5, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Krispy Kareem posted:

You guys remember how even with polls picking Hillary, electoral history said the Republican should win the election? And that one researcher who has correctly predicted every election in the last couple of decades said his data pointed to Trump regardless of common sense? Even when 'nothing matters', stuff still matters.

The GOP will lose the House in 2016 because every party loses seats after a President is inaugurated. The combination of Trump supporters pissed off at mainstream GOP obstruction and mainstream GOP voters despondent over the President will suppress their vote just enough for an energized Democratic base to flip enough seats to split the legislative branch.

The question now is how much will they lose and will the Senate be in play.

Every single election you hear a billion of these, half of them are wrong, then 4 years later they all come back and do the exact same tour, just adding another rule to their "prediction" to cover if they hosed up the last election.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

This is the same misunderstanding of privatization. This is going to be a non-profit government-controlled corporation, not a privately owned for-profit corporation.

I suspect that people are misunderstanding the proposal because trump didn't understand it either, of course.

My worry would be that it would then draw the same sort of contempt republicans seem to have for other entities in that mold and face the same sort of fuckery they try pulling with those (massive pre-funding requirements for benefits, etc. as in the case of USPS), all with the unstated goal of government divestment and sale of assets and operation to for-profit enterprises.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

evilweasel posted:

the problem is if they do that, then they validate the "media vs. trump" narrative

civil society relies on other republicans calling this poo poo out and whoops they're all soulless weasels

I know, that's what I said? I just want the media to constantly put "they said X, fact is Y" on every screen all the time, doesn't have to be a direct response

e: ahaha "Where's Sean?!"

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
lol "where's Sean"

"he's here today."

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
Lol "Where is Sean? Is he OK? Is he alive?"

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

"YOU DIDN'T ASK ANY OTHER DEPUTY PRESS SECS ABOUT THI-"
(everyone at once) "Yeah, we did"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

theflyingorc posted:

THEY ARE LITERALLY LETTING HIM PRETEND TO PRESIDENT
President: The RPG

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

lol "you can stay longer" after she smokebombs outta there

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
hahaah "You can stay longer!"

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
"You could stay longer!"

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
hahahaha "You can stay longer"

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

That went swimmingly.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Aww they didn't ask if she'd followed up on whether Trump believes in climate change.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Majorian posted:

There's no need for that; I'm not trying to be disrespectful to you.

The rest of your post didn't really answer my criticism, though:

This doesn't address the need for Democrats to tie Republicans to Trump. Trump may be stylistically different from Ryan and McConnell, but they ultimately have the same aims: make most Americans poorer, dumber, and more paranoid. That's something that can't be emphasized enough.

the hillary campaign was generally criticized for doing too much stuff about why Trump sucks and too little about "here is what i, hillary clinton, will do for you". people who are reachable re: trump sucks know he sucks. they know he's a republican. if you don't know he sucks, a democratic candidate for congress isn't going to be the one who convinces you.

so the democratic candidates want to run on their positive vision for america, run against republicans generally - and that includes the specific terrible things candidate x voted for, like the ahca - but to not waste their time on how much of a garbage person trump is and what a burning trash fire his administration is because if you don't know that by now, how is anyone going to convince you, but you can perhaps be convinced that your representative voted to take away your health care and the democratic candidate is saying some sensible things that are good for you even though you still believe in your heart of hearts, because you lack a brain, trump still is fighting for you

edit: to be clear that last sentence the "you" refers to our hypothetical idiot trump voter not you, the poster majorian

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 5, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Chard posted:

I know, that's what I said? I just want the media to constantly put "they said X, fact is Y" on every screen all the time, doesn't have to be a direct response

e: ahaha "Where's Sean?!"

Other Shaun but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAhG9D9UO7c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

There really is not a good huckabee

• Locked thread