Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Don't forget Missing Pieces!!

Also yeah if anyone could shed light on what exactly was happening with the Tammy scene it would be a big help :)

She was either noticing a discrepancy between Dale Cooper's prints and Mr.C's prints, or, I think, noticing something odd about the old-hard copy of Dale Cooper's prints and the digital record they have of it (?) The fact that they cut immediately to Mr.C loving with the jail security system with the phone reminded me that he seems able to hack anything, and I'm wondering if he replaced the files because his prints aren't the same as Dale's. We also saw that Garland Briggs prints showed up 16 times since his supposed death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

Oh wow, I was literally just about to ask if that was him even though IMDb doesn't list him as part of the Twin Peaks cast. They must be slow on updating that page.

I had a hard time recognizing him at first because he looked younger and skinnier in last night's episode.

Which is funny, because he looks like a lovely idiot with bad hair in both.

edit:

crowoutofcontext posted:

She was either noticing a discrepancy between Dale Cooper's prints and Mr.C's prints, or, I think, noticing something odd about the old-hard copy of Dale Cooper's prints and the digital record they have of it (?) The fact that they cut immediately to Mr.C loving with the jail security system with the phone reminded me that he seems able to hack anything, and I'm wondering if he replaced the files because his prints aren't the same as Dale's. We also saw that Garland Briggs prints showed up 16 times since his supposed death.

This bothered me. You'd think after, I dunno, the 5th incident they might have reported it to the FBI, especially if they're aware he was in top secret possibly paranormal cases

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

First episode of the new season is amazing, even with all the different locations and the clear passage of time it's like it is just flowing smoothly on from the end of season 2/FWWM

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Raxivace posted:

Oh wow, I was literally just about to ask if that was him even though IMDb doesn't list him as part of the Twin Peaks cast. They must be slow on updating that page.

I think they are, because I went to check if Tom Sizemore was the guy who got called out in the meeting for lying and it totally was, but not listed anywhere. He got real old.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I was definitely spoiled by watching the first four in one chunk, because I felt like not enough happened last night. I can forgive the long pacing when I know I have more to watch, but when I'm basically counting down the minutes til it's over, it's a little frustrating to see Andy and Hawk poring over documents with no dialogue for 2 minutes.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 5, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cromulent posted:

I was definitely spoiled by watching the first four in one chunk, because I felt like not enough happened last night. I can forgive the long pacing when I know I have more to watch, but when I'm basically counting down in the minutes til it's over, it's a little frustrating to see Andy and Hawk poring over documents with no dialogue for 2 minutes.

yeah same

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm enjoying learning about how much of a shitter Dougie was.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

OB_Juan posted:

I'm enjoying learning about how much of a shitter Dougie was.

I love this underlying theme of facial blindness for anyone who remotely resembles Coop. At this point, someone in Vegas will see Evil Coop and assume it's Dougie or some poo poo.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Did anyone else notice the camera guy from BCS as Dougies assistant also? I checked IMDB and he wasn't on there either but apparently it was him.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Escobarbarian posted:

So wait, were Amanda Seyfried's husband and the creepy bar smoker not the same dude? Man I'm bad at faces.

is this the famous goon face-blindness?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: ^^^^ I mean they're hardly polar opposites

I wonder how Tammy managed to get hold of a photo that looks like it was taken inside the Red Room

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

It was bugging the hell out of me, who the woman the hitmen called looked like. Especially her mouth and expressions, I couldn't put my finger on it but they looked so familiar.

Looked up the actress and I still don't recognize her per se, but her pics made me realize she looks loving EXACTLY like Chloe from 24.

E: I'm drunk and have no particular point to make, just happy I figured it out.

If it makes you feel any better, I thought that was Mary Lynn Rajskub for a bit, too. This is exactly the type of show she would show up for two episodes in.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

e: ^^^^ I mean they're hardly polar opposites

I wonder how Tammy managed to get hold of a photo that looks like it was taken inside the Red Room

Haha, the best thing about that photo is that its a still from the original series

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

crowoutofcontext posted:

Haha, the best thing about that photo is that its a still from the original series

hahah I knew it! That and the explosion were some really bizarrely amateur moments.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

hahah I knew it! That and the explosion were some really bizarrely amateur moments.

the explosion looked like they just managed to miss it. very strange cut

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

It looked more like wood paneling behind him in that shot to me. Harry's office maybe?

Random theory: Dougie's ring was put in Garland's (?) corpse to further screw over Coop once he made it back out of the Lodge. Hell, maybe everything else Bad Coop has done is going to be pinned on Dougie.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

wa27 posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I thought that was Mary Lynn Rajskub for a bit, too. This is exactly the type of show she would show up for two episodes in.

Oddly enough, it does make me feel better!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I love that it the picture of coop was just a still from the original run lmao.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Annabel Pee posted:

Did anyone else notice the camera guy from BCS as Dougies assistant also? I checked IMDB and he wasn't on there either but apparently it was him.
I believe that's comedian Josh Fadem. He's been a guest on the Battleship Pretension podcast a few times, and those episodes are usually the better ones of a podcast I usually have mixed opinions on.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Wild Horses posted:

is this the famous goon face-blindness?

Yes.

It's especially grating here because Lynch characters are so distinctly unique; how can one see loser druggy Macauley Culkin lookalike and smoking assaulting rear end in a top hat at the bang bang bar as the same person?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

that guy seriously looked like a coyote

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Some great, great stuff in this episode. I also want to say that the slow pacing is a bit difficult for a weekly show like this, and I specifically did NOT watch all 4 episodes at once, but spread them out over 5 days, which sort of helped but it was still a LOT of Twin Peaks at once and I think it really spoiled a lot of us.

The good thing is that there seems to be so much to unpack in every episode, that everyone should really take the time to watch the episode at least one more time, because a lot is obviously going on beneath the surface. In this episode, we actually found out a LOT.

We found out that, interestingly, there have apparently been a series of *hoaxes* regarding people reporting information or fingerprints or *something* regarding Major Briggs, but it looks like some military branch of the government is so intent on information about what happened to him (or something) that they dutifully check out every single lead. That also links back to the FBI and likely Gordon Cole, but *possibly* something to do with Cooper/Jeffries as well. We are not really sure why this military guy feels dutiful about keeping the FBI specifically up to speed on the Major Briggs situation.

The ring is HUGELY significant - I'm just not sure why. Now, what they found in Major Briggs' stomach was obviously Dougie's wedding band, right? What I find very curious about this is that in the brief period of time we actually saw Dougie (before he evaporated, turned into a scary-looking head, then exploded into a small gold sphere) he was wearing the *Black Lodge Ring* on his *left-hand ring finger*.

I might note that it was the fingerprint comparisons between Original!Cooper and BOB!Cooper's *left ring finger* that Tammy Preston seemed so interested in. Not sure why?

Regarding the black device, doesn't it look similar to the one BOB!Cooper used earlier when attempting to speak to "Philip Jeffries"? I mean to say, it was a black unit with two lights on it, as well, and it looked like BOB!Cooper was downloading tons of blueprints and info about that specific prison onto it. Also, isn't that the same federal prison that Ray, who supposedly has info BOB!Coop needs regarding Hastings (whom we still haven't seen in a while) is currently residing in?

Anyway, there were several other little details but I'll get to them later. I have to say that I *don't* really enjoy a lot of the Dougie stuff - frankly, it makes me feel kinda sad and full of pity, partially because I've lost two grandparents to dementia and it reminds me of that, and it's just... really sad to see a character you love robbed of his vitality and his (pardon the on-the-nose term) agency as a human being. He is entirely unable to action of his own accord, unless it seems to involve coffee. He cannot even make the choice to urinate on his own, though. No human agency whatsoever, would perhaps be the philosophical term for what Our Cooper is suffering from. So it seems doubly significant to me that he responded to the word "agent" with familiarity. There were some sparks in the brain firing a little bit, there.

I was intrigued to hear Janey-E mention "Are you having one of your episodes again?" Implying, to me, that perhaps Dougie has never really been "all there".

The only other real proactive measure he's taken was the lying accusation, which seemed to be a result of a light of some sort on his face (was it green?) I've no doubt the character was lying, and I'm curious about it.

I also wonder what the mailed Great Northern key will portend. It'll go back to the Great Northern, right? Hopefully it happens while Cole and Albert are there, hunting down Sarah Connor... Was a bit sad not to see Cole and Albert in this ep, but not too disappointed.

My favorite shot of the night? Obvious the one with "Becky" looking up while riding in the car, with that terrifying trademark wide-as-hell and scary-as-gently caress Lynch Smile. We see it in literally every single thing he's done for ages, but it still just... grabs me. That was SUCH a purely Lynch shot, and so beautiful - her riding in the convertible, high on coke, looking at the sky with that horrifyingly joyful and empty grin with those blue as hell eyes reflecting the sky and all constricted,, zooming towards nowhere. So great.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 5, 2017

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

kaworu posted:

My favorite shot of the night? Obvious the one with "Becky" looking up while riding in the car, with that terrifying trademark wide-as-hell and scary-as-gently caress Lynch Smile. We see it in literally every single thing he's done for ages, but it still just... grabs me. That was SUCH a purely Lynch shot, and so beautiful - her riding in the convertible, high on coke, looking at the sky with that horrifyingly joyful and empty grin with those blue as hell eyes reflecting the sky and all constricted,, zooming towards nowhere. So great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qi0xwF40lM

/edit: skip to 1:47 for the punchline

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The whole Bob/Dopple Coop thing is interesting because it seems like Dopple Coop has control over Bob to a degree, or has at least suppressed him. Or maybe Bob is just letting him believe that and has control.

I thought episodes 3-5 were great and have renewed my interest in the show. I wasn't super thrilled with 1 & 2. They were dark but seemed to take themselves too seriously and weren't as on point with the humor. These last two episodes were better able to toe that line that Lynch is good at between scary/serious and the ridiculous. They were also much easier to follow despite the craziness in them. The strange stuff didn't feel random like it did in the first two eps.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Do they normally have mirrors in prison cells?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm sorta new to this. Is there any good resource to check if minor characters show up I should remember?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

genericnick posted:

I'm sorta new to this. Is there any good resource to check if minor characters show up I should remember?
There is, though unfortunately its the spiritual field that binds us all. You must achieve inner calmness in your soul to tap into the vast knowledge the field contains.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

"Twin Peaks Season 3 is sponsored by Apple™!"

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I loved T-Bag showing up also, when he was announced I thought he'd be a perfect fit for the Twin Peaks universe.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cromulent posted:

I was definitely spoiled by watching the first four in one chunk, because I felt like not enough happened last night. I can forgive the long pacing when I know I have more to watch, but when I'm basically counting down the minutes til it's over, it's a little frustrating to see Andy and Hawk poring over documents with no dialogue for 2 minutes.

Well, he was looking for indians, and he couldn't find any. That's not the sort of thing you just know right away. :ohdear:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

genericnick posted:

New to this, as in you haven't seen Season 1 and 2? If so, stop right now and watch season 1 and 2, then FWWM. This isn't a reboot, its picking up straight where season 2 left off.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
madchen amick is still such a dreamboat

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That scene with a high Amanda Seyfried reminded me of this Lynch "classic" for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5SHjEdJ87g

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Annabel Pee posted:

I loved T-Bag showing up also, when he was announced I thought he'd be a perfect fit for the Twin Peaks universe.

Thank you david lynch for making prison break canon.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I'm gonna laugh when I gently caress you BITCH.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZeeBoi posted:

Yes.

It's especially grating here because Lynch characters are so distinctly unique; how can one see loser druggy Macauley Culkin lookalike and smoking assaulting rear end in a top hat at the bang bang bar as the same person?

Seeing them 10 minutes apart and not together and them both having the same "skeevy rear end in a top hat" vibe

Yeah I'm not having this be some "lol goons" thing, it was a legit mistake, try someone else

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Heartbreaking: Coworker watches Twin Peaks for first time, starting with last night's episode; expects local man to explain what is going on

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
what if richy horne is the son of bad cooper so we still won't get a audrey/cooper relationship because it already happened

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The scary bar guy looked like baby Matthew McConaughey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

n4 posted:

I'm gonna laugh when I gently caress you BITCH.

I thought the guy in the booth (Robert Horne, really? As in Audrey's son probably maybe?) was kinda channeling Frank Booth a bit. And I did not intend that pun, but maybe someone did? Though it came off less creepy and more downright brutal, but that's creepy in its own right. Especially at the roadhouse where most Twin Peaks fans watching regard as a more or less "safe" place. Was a bit of a fakeout really with the way Lynch ended the last 3 episodes!

I love that he does that, though. Episodes 1+2 ended with The Chromatics at the roadhouse (and they felt like 1 long episode, anyway) and then episodes 3 and 4 also both ended the same way, which made us feel like that was how all the episodes would end. I *thought* the episode was about to end and the credits were going to pop up any second because it felt like about the end of the hour and I was feeling just a bit disappointed. Then the show just kept going, unexpectedly, and we got a quiet credits scene with poor Agent Cooper standing in Dougie's clothes, looking at the foot of the statue.

I agree that it makes me feel like shoes are important, like symbolically Cooper is "walking in Dougie's shoes". The funny thing is, it's probably better than walking in EvilCooper's shoes. I'm going to have to watch his scenes again and see if there is any more backwards talking. On another note, anyone notice that EvilCooper uses two different voices? Like, in the first and second episodes when he was moving through this seedy underbelly world, his voice was slower and deeper with a southern twang. But for example, when he used that odd radio device after killing Darya, he sounded almost 100% like the Dale Cooper we remembered. No accent, no slow drawl, etc. And then there was the bizarre quality of his voice in his chat with Gordon, which I still don't quite get. But in this episode he seemed to be back to speaking like regular ol' Dale Cooper.

I gotta say that EvilCooper/BOB/Mr. C/whoever is easily my favorite character of this new season, moreso than the Dale who has been wandering around the Red Room and other such places, and walking in Dougie's shoes. It's just such a fascinating and brilliant way to portray the BOB character, to the point where I'm not even sure I've wrapped my head entirely around how brilliant it is. It makes me wonder, really, what direction and what sort of endgame we're really looking at.

It's funny because my favorite fantasy series growing up (which I regularly re-read) is Ursula K. L Guin's Wizard of Earthsea series. There are 5 novels and a collection of stories in the series, but the first one is the one most have read or remember clearly. It's a fairly archetypal story of a young man who is a talented, but jealous and arrogant student of wizardry/magic (this was decades before Harry Potter and a very different kind of story), He winds up performing a very powerful spell that he cannot control, and in doing so sets loose a sort of metaphysical shadow of himself - the shadow is everything negative about the protagonist made manifest, and it pursues him ceaselessly in an attempt to take over his body and use it for extremely evil purposes. Sound familiar?

The book is very much influenced by Taoism and the ideas and philosophies of eastern religions, so I hope I'm not spoiling things when I say that the first book ends with him learning to understand and accept the shadow as a part of himself, understood and accepted and simultaneously mastered and surrendered to. In a way, I wouldn't be *totally* shocked if something similar happens here. That he will not be "Special Agent Dale Cooper" as we knew and loved him again until all the different parts of him floating around - good and bad - are brought together in some way.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 5, 2017