Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Olesh posted:

MW3 was by far the worst offender because you could unlock the weapon tracking from the torso - I think caps lock did it - and just aim with the mouse cursor directly. It's easy enough to control legs and torso independently with the keyboard, and it was more or less impossible to miss. Click mech body part, deal damage.

That was the best way to get a ton of salvage in the original MechWarrior. Get a Jenner or Locust, get hired for a defense mission. Flank the incoming heavies, charge up behind one and chew off the leg with MGs and/or MLs. Repeat on the other three heavies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Orders sent! Spiderman, can you attack the Galleon? We need the win here and now.

Movement phase
Hunchback: move to 1711, facing 1611
Watchman: jump to 1713, facing 1812

Attack phase
Hunchback: attack Galleon at 1009. Use reroll if necessary.
Watchman: hold fire

Physical phase
Watchman: kick the Jinggau in the butt while profering obscenities. Use reroll if necessary.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
For those who have been playing the Backer Beta, how is the 'overheat causes internal damage' mechanic?

It seems rather punitive to me, and really discourages riding that heat scale. That being said, I don't have to pre-judge without having even loaded up the game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

CourValant posted:

For those who have been playing the Backer Beta, how is the 'overheat causes internal damage' mechanic?

It seems rather punitive to me, and really discourages riding that heat scale. That being said, I don't have to pre-judge without having even loaded up the game.

I've pushed into the overheat damages structure portion a number of times in my fights, it deals a number of 1 damage plinks to areas around your mech. I don't know if those roll for critical hits, but I've never had a crit come from the overheat damage. I don't fully understand the heat system (and it seems from the main thread that nobody does right now), but the overheart damage is the one part I haven't really had an issue with. It felt like a fair trade to let you occasionally overheat for more damage but not let you do it every round.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

It felt like a fair trade to let you occasionally overheat for more damage but not let you do it every round.

Thanks for the reply; I'll cross post in the main discussion thread as well.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

CourValant posted:

If anything it's not nearly punishing enough. Internal damage is so minor it's something you'll basically always take because you'll never take horrible crits from it, it won't significanlty cut into your survivability and in exchange you'll potentially take out entire mechs worth of return fire. Don't shut down overheat though - that's death.

The heat system is actually pretty simple, the other thread just seems to overthink it. When you're aiming it tells you how much heat you would end up with if you fired the selected weapons - you turn something off, you'll end up with less heat. You turn enough things off it'll look like you're cooling down, you turn enough things on it'll look like you're heating up. It just factors in your existing heatsinks and shows you the end state instead of expecting you to do the math yourself.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 3, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Don't ask for things to be "punishing" just for the sake of it. People with little to no experience with BattleTech should be able to pick up the game and play, and orange numbers are intimidating even if they're not very big. Overheat damage is more a warning that bad things will happen if you keep pushing your luck, and I approve of that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Also the overheat numbers are not always 1dmg ticks, I've seen higher (like when I accidentally overheated my Orion into shutdown, whoooooops)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Psion posted:

Also the overheat numbers are not always 1dmg ticks, I've seen higher (like when I accidentally overheated my Orion into shutdown, whoooooops)

I think it's supposed to be 3 for heavies and 4 for assaults, but that's not always the case that shows up. I think it may just show a ton of 1s regardless.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just... an fyi.

I had to leave work early today because I'm vomiting every 20-30 minutes. I'm going to try to get an update out later (probably much later) but I'm not going to make any guarantees today.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Your health comes first, always. Feel better as soon as possible.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Hope you feel better; no hurry.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just... an fyi.

I had to leave work early today because I'm vomiting every 20-30 minutes. I'm going to try to get an update out later (probably much later) but I'm not going to make any guarantees today.

Don't forget to drink plenty of water, regardless of how little you want to. Vomiting that often will dehydrate you to the point of collapse very quickly.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Feel better, PTN.

Next time, skip the raw fish.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Holy crap, get well soon ptn

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Ah that's terrible, rest up, PTN.

Could we maybe invent a giant robot, shrink it, and have it punch things in you until you feel better?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Retaking Sirdar Update 9

“They’re pulling back,” Corporal Daniels’ face dripped with sweat as the Marauder-like Capellan heavy he’d been chasing turned his way—then leapt over his head on roaring jump jets. The call was a relief, but they could still lose people if the Captain ordered them to continue. The company had been battered, but they’d done their jobs. The enemy’s artillery spotters were smoking wrecks or in full retreat. The Capellans could still punish them if they’d cared to, but a couple of lances of `Mechs couldn’t oppose a regimental landing. If they stuck around, there was a good chance they’d be wiped out.

“Let them go,” Captain Dancey transmitted. “Only fire if they do.”

“Hoo,” Daniels came about, watching the Capellans withdraw. Both sides seemed to have decided that the rapidly-running creek was a good enough boundary for the time being. Territory didn’t matter too much in a `Mech war, unless it was something both sides had decided to fight over. At least, that’s what the instructors always said. The best way to protect something really vital was to keep your forces well away from it in the hopes that the enemy would be more interested in engaging your troops than destroying industry or population centers. The Ares conventions always seemed like they were on such shaky ground these days.

Perhaps that was the price they’d paid to secede from the Federated Suns?

Shooting Phase
Hunchback (Player)
- Attacks Galleon A (4 skill + 2 TMM + 2 range = 8): rolled 8, hit! 4 damage sustained! Combat Vehicle Destroyed!

Watchman (Player)
- Attacks Jinggau (4 skill + 2 TMM + 0 range + 2 jumped = 8): rolled 7, miss! Lucky!
- - Rerolled attack: rolled 6, miss!

Shadow Hawk (Player)
- No orders received!

Blackjack (Player)
- No orders received!

Warhammer (Player)
- Attacks Jinggau (4 skill + 2 TMM + 0 range + 1 woods = 7): rolled 7, hit! 3 damage sustained!

Marauder (Player)
- Attacks Men Shen (4 skill + 3 TMM + 2 range + 2 jumped - 1 jumping jack = 10): rolled 7, miss!

Grasshopper (Player)
- Holds fire!

Scarabus (Player)
- Attacks Jinggau (4 skill + 2 TMM + 2 range + 2 woods = 10): rolled 11, hit! 1 damage sustained!

Wolfhound (Player)
- Holds fire!

Spider (Player)
- Attacks Cyclops (4 skill + 1 TMM + 2 range + 2 woods = 9): rolled 5, miss!

Crusader Prime
- Holds fire!

Men Shen Prime
- Attacks Marauder (4 skill + 2 TMM + 2 range = 8): rolled 10, hit! 4 damage sustained!

Jinggau
- Attacks Hunchback (4 skill + 1 TMM + 0 range + 1 woods = 6): rolled 10, hit! 4 damage sustained! 3 Crits! Forced to Withdraw!

Lao Hu
- Attacks Watchman (4 skill + 3 TMM + 2 range = 9): rolled 8, miss!

Cyclops
- Attacks Watchman (4 skill + 3 TMM + 2 range = 9): rolled 6, miss!

Stalker
- Holds fire!

Sha Yu
- Holds fire!

Vindicator
- Attacks Watchman (4 skill + 3 TMM + 2 range - 1 stationary = 8): rolled 6, miss!

End Phase:
Hunchback
- Critical chance: rolled 10, Fire Control hit!
- Critical chance: rolled 6, Weapon hit!
- Critical chance: rolled 10, Fire Control hit!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Forced Withdrawal - `Mechs and Vehicles which suffer more than 50% structure damage will automatically attempt to retreat off the nearest friendly board edge. Units with only 1 point of structure will withdraw if all of their armor is destroyed.

Primary Objectives
Primary Objectives
- Destroy or Drive Off All Enemy Scouts (Complete)
or
- Destroy or Drive Off All Enemy `Mechs (5/12 destroyed)

After-Action Report:
That's the turn count I was expecting, although this could've lasted another couple of turns. This mission was designed to let the players complete one objective but not both--the enemy `Mech forces could have been swarmed under with a hard early push, but it would've meant allowing the scouts to escape, while allowing the scouts to come for them put the players into a war of attrition with the enemy `Mechs they couldn't win. I might have over-tuned the OpForce a little too much, it's harder to judge as I'm less familiar with Alpha Strike than I am standard play. I don’t know if I’m going to run another Alpha Strike game, if I do it probably won't be any time soon. I love it in person, but it’s much less ‘hype’ on the net. I will almost certainly be stealing some of the pilot SPAs to help improve weaker player `mechs in the future.

Players and posters please let me know what you thought of the game, and as usual, MVP votes.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Holy crap was that a tightly run thing. I don't feel like I have a good handle on how the Alpha Strike rules work as well as I do the vanilla BT rules, but definitely see the point, and the all or nothing damage makes light stuff a lot more viable. Plus IRL I remember how long it takes to run stuff, especially when there's a bunch of lances on the field.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Not every time will be a crazy strong victory, this works fine.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I kinda miss the granularity of regular Battletech, the level of abstraction does make it easier to run and I like the TMM mechanic, but there's a big difference between 'FIRE EVERYTHING' and 'Go to overheat 3'.

Player MVP: The Hunchie for the clutch hit on the last tank, moments before being forced to withdraw. Right place, right time, just enough to win.

OpFor MVP: That terrifying Crusader Omni.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
For my first time doing this, I thought it was pretty great. Lots of tension, very tightly ran, no inter-play issues or problems at all. It was a lot of fun reading about Alpha Strike because I was unfamiliar with it and now I kind of want to run an actual TT game with the rules.

OpFor MVP : Crusader for sure.

Going to abstain from a player MVP vote because I feel we all did our fair share.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I like the crunchiness of Battletech, but it looks like Alpha Strike capably pares down the rules to keep robot fighting moving fast as possible, so I am not actually sure which I like better.

Well fought, goonforce! Player MVP: Hunchback, OpFor MVP: Crusader

Now please go roll in some medkits, PTN, I think that will help.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Good to see you're feeling better from that bout of sickness you mentioned earlier PTN, enough so to update. Nice shot by the Hunchie there, ending this one earlier than I thought it would, what with last remaining tank positioned rather away from the front line and screened by quite a bit of the enemy heavies, and how much damage GoonCompany had taken, as well as their positioning up in the north making it seem like they wouldn't be able to get at that tank for a turn or two. I also like the new VICTORY splash you put over the last Enemy Movement map instead of just an N/A after a Goon force victory, are you gonna keep doing that from now on?

Alpha Strike seemed very quick compared to the base game, and this scenario seemed to go down to the wire with that last tank positioning and how damaged GoonCompany was adding to the tension, which made it feel a lot more suspenseful. Still, I agree with AJ_Impy in that I miss the granularity of regular BT, and the rolling of individual weapon systems and armor locations, but I understand this runs a lot quicker and cuts down on a lot of the :rolldice:. I wouldn't want to see all games from now on in this thread go to Alpha Strike, since it really doesn't feel the same or quite as weighty as the base game, but having it once in a while for larger battles or to make them go quicker would be pretty nice, I guess.

MVP votes:
Player MVP: Hunchback for the clutch shot on that last tank when things were a bit dicey with regards to its positioning and how worn down GoonCompany was getting armor and numbers wise. (Honorable mention to the Scarabus for being an aggressive son of a bitch and taking the fight to the Cappies, plus wrecking a couple tanks himself)
OpFor MVP: Crusader for denying that ridgeline in the south and making GoonComanpy pay when they tried to force their way up to it

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 5, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The dice rolls are the thing that takes me the least amount of time.

Updating the maps takes forever.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The dice rolls are the thing that takes me the least amount of time.

Updating the maps takes forever.

Fair enough, and I can understand your correction as well, since editing something as large as those mapsheets with that many things to update and keep track of would indeed take quite a while.

It just seemed like there was a lot less dicerolling and bookkeeping on weapons, armor, ammo, hit locations, structure, crits, etc, and all the other miscellaneous points that makes base BattleTech so granular, that it just seemed prudent to comment on, and it's what makes it seem like Alpha Strike is moving a lot faster than the base game faster, what with its abstracting things down a level quite a bit.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 5, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hunchback and Crusader

The thing that would make Alpha Strike neat would be to really up the scale, go battalion on battalion with each player running a lance or something. Take advantage of the system to get really huge with it, ya know? Otherwise, I prefer regular B-tech.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Sorry about the lack of orders, the couple of days delay there made me forget about it.

Enemy MVP: Crusader

Player MVP: Hunchback

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Taurus, Taurus!
As the resident Taurus partisan, I have to thank you all for further lowering the extreme odds on our kamikaze run towards major power status. You may feel dirty/exultant either now or hopefully later when we dump a load of nukes on Sian incompetently.

Hunchback and Crusader

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 5, 2017

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Just as a reader of the LP I found this mission a bit harder to follow than usual, mainly because there was less information on the capabilities of the mechs involved and because I don't have the same vague knowledge of the ruleset. But then I guess I was equally confused by the Battletech ruleset when the LP started.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Crusader and Scarabus, for punching most above it's weight in damage.

I think Alpha Strike would be OK if we ever try another mission the size of the Death Commandos breakout scenario, but I really miss the granularity of traditional Battletech combat for our purposes here. I don't know if PTN feels this way of course, but it seems like the quirks of the dice make for great fluff inspiration too, moreso than just the hit/miss in Alpha Strike.

I do really prefer how Alpha Strike handles move mods/jumping/etc though. Less fiddly all around and better balanced I think.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 5, 2017

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Wow! That was tense.

I'd have to nominate for Goon MVP the Scarabus as it axed the Cappies a few hurtful questions. And, personally, I'll have the Vindicator as OPForce MVP. The dude just kept hitting me and making me take cover when I would have been more agressive.

I've enjoyed playing with all of you. Poptarts, you are a great GM and planned the mission pace perfectly. Gooncompany, you've all been great chaps, and thanks mekilljoy for good teamwork.

The game has been great although I can't help but miss, as other have said, the granularity and volatility of Classic BT. Alpha Strike felt sometimes a bit...generic, I couldn't make a connection with our characters as I could in past scenarios. Thanks anyways, PTS. You've made it great.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OpFor MVP: Crusader

Allied MvP: Hunchback.

It was interesting to see how alpha strike plays out (sort of) and it seems to move pretty quick overall.
I may have to get a hardcopy of the rulebook and get some tabletop play.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

So, it looked dicey there for a bit, but Greater Space Texas is slowly becoming a thing. Probably a good thing for the NRWR too. And you all said we were too moronically aggressive to make it into the big leagues and stay there.
Well, it's still long odds, especially against Comstar and NRWR subterfuge.

Let's first hold the line against the inevitable massive counterattack of 2/2 Capellan drones led by 1/1 Power Rangers and Death Commandos!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 5, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
One thing I really like from Alpha Strike is the matched style lances gaining complementary or free abilities, I think that would be a great thread addition for future missions.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sparq posted:

Vindicator as OPForce MVP

My goal was to convince at least one person that even a lovely bog-standard Vindicator could be legitimately terrifying in Alpha Strike and I succeeded! :toot:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I wouldn't mind not seeing alpha strike again. I missed the verisimilitude the regular rules provide.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, while Alpha Strike was probably easier for the players, it was far less interesting to read and had less of the weird dice randomness that makes the regular rules so interesting.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Alpha Strike seems like it would be better for really big engagements.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I guess for me the granularity of weapons, hit locations, hp and crits in Battletech is just essential, even though I'd like the decisiveness of Alpha Strike occasionally, but I'm glad there's a number of people who feel differently.

And of course, it enables larger scale engagements.

But if it's the map making that is the real time sink, are there any programs we can buy for PTN?
I'd be happy to chip in 10 bucks.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Scintilla posted:

Alpha Strike seems like it would be better for really big engagements.

This seems like the real rub, yes.

I enjoy the crazy random headcaps and stuff for the narrative of the fight, but Alpha Strike's streamlining seems essential for the really big battles.

E: Also, it should be noted: Alpha Strike definitely seems to be a much better *game*.

• Locked thread