Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AlexDeGruven posted:

Coworker was mucking about with ramdrives one day and this abomination came to be. We were not proud of it.

We totally were

Ramdrive RAID as one tier, Zip disk RAID as another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Actually, that gives me a question. Did anyone here not start as someone who was just "good with computers" when they started working/studying/training? Did anyone get into this without first being a hobbyist of some sort?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Actually, that gives me a question. Did anyone here not start as someone who was just "good with computers" when they started working/studying/training? Did anyone get into this without first being a hobbyist of some sort?

My first job was AppleCare Tech Support, right out of highschool. Before then, I was better with computers than most people, but that isn't saying much...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

IndustrialApe posted:

Yes, but after 40-odd+ years of IT, there's knowledge about how to implement, how to make IT function as part of a greater process and that's what gets taught in schools.
Me overclocking my CPU at age 18? yeah, fun but not in an business environment.

There's corporate IT and there's home computing. I run into people way too often running corporate IT as if it's their home network and they all say that certificates mean jack poo poo.

I never went to school for it, tbh.

That said, I do have a couple holes in my knowledge base, such as an absolute terror of network gear more complex than a dumb switch. Buying a router that tuned out to be half defective has only made that worse(tho it increased my knowledge base about ubiquiti!)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Weird, today must be the day for these incidents. This happened to a friend of mine this morning:

Then there's also Orlando :smith:
Doesn't the police deal with trespassing? If he was fired and told to leave he has no right to be on the company's property, right?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A friend of mine had no interest in computers, got an IS degree because he needed to do something and has now been working in IT for 15-ish years.

There's a lady in the IT group of one of our subs that started as a business analyst intern with no prior knowledge.

I'm definitely in the "was good with computers" camp.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Thanks Ants posted:

Ramdrive RAID as one tier, Zip disk RAID as another.

Could you make a raid array of network drives that are themselves just logical partitions of one physical drive?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

My brother and I were "Good with computers" and they were our hobby, but once you get a job you realize that your "hobby" knowledge does not apply very well to the corporate world. My specific knowledge I gained on my own wasn't as useful, but my skills at figuring poo poo out was just as useful.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Kurieg posted:

Could you make a raid array of network drives that are themselves just logical partitions of one physical drive?

Yes. Or at least you could.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MF_James posted:

My brother and I were "Good with computers" and they were our hobby, but once you get a job you realize that your "hobby" knowledge does not apply very well to the corporate world. My specific knowledge I gained on my own wasn't as useful, but my skills at figuring poo poo out was just as useful.

Definitely. I feel like the most important skills you learn are critical thinking and Googling. Also possibly the important lesson of "gently caress printers forever goddammit stuff them all full of C4.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

The tech on my team that is a total imbecile was "good at computers" in the workplace... in the late '90s. Not a hobbyist. Hasn't learned anything in 15+ years. Makes 20% more than I do. Your tax dollars hard at work. Quoted last week saying "well the internet is down so we can't do any work orders like fixing printers or anything".

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Definitely. I feel like the most important skills you learn are critical thinking and Googling. Also possibly the important lesson of "gently caress printers forever goddammit stuff them all full of C4.

That's the most important thing to start with on a guy getting into the field. If they never broaden that with learning things, certs, and doing best practices then you get striped RAID5s. On the bright side, thanks to those people those of us who can clean that poo poo up never want for work.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm still good with computers.

I just have a lot of them now. And they're expensive

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm good with computers and throw hardware around all day but the thought of going home to fix my own PC issues just makes me want to spend :20bux: and have someone else do it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

suuma posted:

I'm good with computers and throw hardware around all day but the thought of going home to fix my own PC issues just makes me want to spend :20bux: and have someone else do it.

I haven't built a PC from the ground up since I was being paid professionally to do computer poo poo. I own a MacBook Pro and a NUC, chuck them on eBay when they get old and replace them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The last home computer I spend any time on setting up was my media center pc.

I built it over a long weekend, setup sickbeard and plex, got it all setup and it just works and haven't touched it apart from adding new shows to sickbeard in nearly 4 years.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MF_James posted:

So, what the gently caress was the weapon if it wasn't a knife? They never say, at least not in the article, I'll be damned if I'm going to listen to some idiot news caster though.

Just assume it was a Bat'leth and you'll have a less stressful day.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I have built 2 computers in the past few years, mine and my fiancee's, it was painless and inexpensive (relatively). Compared to the first computer I built, this was a loving breeze, everything is documented so well in manuals, and it was pretty quick, 2 hours or less to do it. I got lucky and didn't have to RMA anything, which was nice. As far as troubleshooting issues? I don't want to do it, I want to come home and have that poo poo working.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Kurieg posted:

You could totally do that with iSCSI LUNs. Bonus points if the LUNS all point to a single raid 5 or 6 array on the SAN, and you get the 5 LUNs together and make it a raid 0 to boost the IOPS!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I still upgrade my computer myself because I don't feel like paying someone $100 and hoping they don't gently caress it up.

Maybe I would have my old friend who I learned computers with and shared tons of parts with do it, but I don't want to rub it in his face that I'm making a bunch of money and he's working his way through college at a bagel place until he can get a job as an EMT. He's one of the only people I would trust with it.

Next time I do a major upgrade I'm getting a new case. This one is from 2005 or 2006 and is beat to poo poo.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

100% agree with this. The other thing that helps is having someone in charge of you with two things:
1. A wealth of experience for you to draw on when you have a question you can't resolve with your own research.
2. A willingness to let you get your hands dirty in as many ways as possible.

There's a ton of stuff you just never see in a personal environment because there's no need for a way to deploy an application to a hundred machines or restrict access policy or run a script in powershell most of the time, but having a boss that'll just give you a goal and let you figure it out while they oversee to make sure you don't blow up the company helps a ton.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm still trying to hammer it into my mom's brain that just because I'm "good with computers" and managed to grunt out a functional wordpress site once doesn't mean I'm qualified to hang out a shingle as a web designer.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Agrikk posted:

The thing that ticks me off the most about that whole thing is his lack of backups.

At the most fundamental level, how hard would it have been to build a second windows box with a raid5 array of 4tb reds and a robocopy job?

It's a grand and an afternoon to assemble and set up.

Also: gently caress your douchey fish tank computer, too.

When I worked at a visual effects studio in the mid-00's there were no backups either. Video data consumes all available storage, artists don't clean their poo poo, no backups and archival was a constant job to keep space available

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Javid posted:

I'm still trying to hammer it into my mom's brain that just because I'm "good with computers" and managed to grunt out a functional wordpress site once doesn't mean I'm qualified to hang out a shingle as a web designer.

More qualified than the rear end hat I've been dealing with.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Video people are impossible to provide storage for. If you leave an old array writeable while you're migrating content to a new system then somebody will go and fill it up within days, then start burning through G-Tech external disks that get knocked onto the floor.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thanks Ants posted:

I haven't built a PC from the ground up since I was being paid professionally to do computer poo poo. I own a MacBook Pro and a NUC, chuck them on eBay when they get old and replace them.
When I got my current job the first thing I did was use my holiday pay to buy a prebuilt PC so that if it broke I could just throw it back at the shop and get them to fix it. I do not miss my custom PC in the slightest.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You can definitely be successful in IT if you start out as the "good with computers" kid somewhere. But you can only make that work if during your career you learn the skills that are important to working well in a corporate environment and with other people etc. You learn that if you have ideas about replacing Micro$haft Winblows with Based Gentoo your boss will laugh in your face. Etc.

My point about Linus is that he never learned to be a real IT guy because he went into making videos and not in real IT.

He's become good at making videos (wouldn't be so popular otherwise) and that's his job now and that's fine. But I wouldn't ask him for advice on designing a disaster recovery plan or whatever.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

spankmeister posted:

You can definitely be successful in IT if you start out as the "good with computers" kid somewhere. But you can only make that work if during your career you learn the skills that are important to working well in a corporate environment and with other people etc. You learn that if you have ideas about replacing Micro$haft Winblows with Based Gentoo your boss will laugh in your face. Etc.

My point about Linus is that he never learned to be a real IT guy because he went into making videos and not in real IT.

He's become good at making videos (wouldn't be so popular otherwise) and that's his job now and that's fine. But I wouldn't ask him for advice on designing a disaster recovery plan or whatever.

Also half his channel's thing is "let's do crazy things with computers" and not "this is stuff you should do at home." At no point have I seen anyone on that channel suggest they are "real IT," whatever that is.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The disaster recovery plan is googling data recovery firms.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Deuce posted:

Also half his channel's thing is "let's do crazy things with computers" and not "this is stuff you should do at home." At no point have I seen anyone on that channel suggest they are "real IT," whatever that is.
He has a forum full of people soliciting him and his fans for advice.

Gealar
May 2, 2013
4:00pm
I lose conneciton to the monitoring software, with and error saying bad login info. Well that's normal, I just changed my password. Change it on the connection settings and still no go. Try to ping the server, nothing and then ping our other servers no response there either. Welp better go see whats going on in our server room in the building across the way. I walk out the door and there is a firetruck sitting at the building where our servers are. I get in the building and their whole IT team has mops and buckets. The air conditioning water pan sprung a large leak and the water flowed down the piping for our fire suppression system into our main switching room. Good start to the week.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At least you get a chance to rebuild with a load of new gear

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

anthonypants posted:

He has a forum full of people soliciting him and his fans for advice.

People ask for advice here too, that doesn't mean Lowtax advertises this as a professional IT help forum.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Thanks Ants posted:

At least you get a chance to rebuild
This part will happen

Thanks Ants posted:

with a load of new gear
This part won't.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Thanks Ants posted:

Video people are impossible to provide storage for. If you leave an old array writeable while you're migrating content to a new system then somebody will go and fill it up within days, then start burning through G-Tech external disks that get knocked onto the floor.

Video MSP employee checking in!

This is my life :negative:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Deuce posted:

People ask for advice here too, that doesn't mean Lowtax advertises this as a professional IT help forum.
I apologize if that analogy went over your head.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

anthonypants posted:

I apologize if that analogy went over your head.

Also, the channel is called "Linus Tech Tips"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was 'that kid who is good with computers' and spend 4 years in college actively trying to pursue a career that would not land me in the IT field.
Double major Communication Studies and French: my first job was helpdesk. :gonk:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I was 'that kid who is good with computers' and spend 4 years in college actively trying to pursue a career that would not land me in the IT field.
Double major Communication Studies and French: my first job was helpdesk. :gonk:

If it makes you feel better, helpdesk is not bad to start. Software support thru a script is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

History major with a concentration on the Middle East.

But it turns out that if you have middling to bad grades, you can't get the jobs you wanted when you picked that field!

• Locked thread