Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

So Vulcan.

Gaiman saw Vulcan in America when he passed through Birmingham, Alabama, which has a statue of Vulcan on top of the mountain (Red Mountain, because it's full of iron ore) that overlooks the city. Birmingham is a steel town, because it has all the ingredients for making steel (iron ore, coal, and limestone) available locally in ready supply. Here he is:

The story bit about the forge being non-OSHA-compliant because it was cheaper to just pay off the families of the accident victims rather than shut down long enough to make the factory safe totally happened in Birmingham. Gaiman thought it was the closest thing to human sacrifice he'd ever heard of.

Wylie fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Anyone else find it a little odd, possibly lazy, that at least one of the anti-immigrant militia members was holding a rosary? I mean, I get the point that both groups were Christians but anti-immigrant extremism in the US has almost always had anti-Catholic sentiments as a major part of their ideology. Of course, I'm not saying Catholics can't be anti-immigrant but the kind of people who would organize an actual death squad don't seem like they'd be too happy to allow Catholics into their club. It just seems like the writers wanted to make the point that both groups were Christians and used the rosary as a convenient symbol of that, either without realizing that it's a specifically Catholic symbol or without realizing the history of anti-Catholic bigotry in American nativist groups from the Know-Nothings to the KKK.

Also, I just had a thought, since Jesus is resurrected after three days, I wonder if that's going to be the justification for multiple Jesuses. Like, Mexican Jesus is killed by a militiaman, then three days later Black Jesus appears and is killed by an out of control cop. Then three days later Appalachian Hillbilly Jesus pops up and dies while saving someone from a Nascar crash.

stereobreadsticks fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 5, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/871583111661838337

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

stereobreadsticks posted:

Anyone else find it a little odd, possibly lazy, that at least one of the anti-immigrant militia members was holding a rosary?

Dude... that was the lily-white, prosperity gospel preaching Republican Jesus. The Lion of Jewett.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

That kiss on the cheek during the wound-tending scene totally felt like improv.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

jfood posted:

Dude... that was the lily-white, prosperity gospel preaching Republican Jesus. The Lion of Jewett.
Is he still furious the other jesuses mocked his hands size?

Anyone else find it a little odd, possibly lazy, that at least one of the anti-immigrant militia members was holding a rosary? I mean, I get the point that both groups were Christians but anti-immigrant extremism in the US has almost always had anti-Catholic sentiments as a major part of their ideology. Of course, I'm not saying Catholics can't be anti-immigrant but the kind of people who would organize an actual death squad don't seem like they'd be too happy to allow Catholics into their club. It just seems like the writers wanted to make the point that both groups were Christians and used the rosary as a convenient symbol of that, either without realizing that it's a specifically Catholic symbol or without realizing the history of anti-Catholic bigotry in American nativist groups from the Know-Nothings to the KKK.
Yeah you are pretty much spot on, anyone of Irish or Italian decent will pretty much agree even if it's just nowhere near the level of the anti-Mexican hate.

quote:

Also, I just had a thought, since Jesus is resurrected after three days, I wonder if that's going to be the justification for multiple Jesuses. Like, Mexican Jesus is killed by a militiaman, then three days later Black Jesus appears and is killed by an out of control cop. Then three days later Appalachian Hillbilly Jesus pops up and dies while saving someone from a Nascar crash.
I blame Depeche mode's personal jesus?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

No, I think crazy Christian idiots in Texas are absolutely forming death squads to kill the Mexican rapists coming into our country illegally.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

No, I think crazy Christian idiots in Texas are absolutely forming death squads to kill the Mexican rapists coming into our country illegally.

Stop spoiling the real world, I've only gotten to June of 2017 here.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GonSmithe posted:

But don't you know that Catholics aren't Christians?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also realized this morning that I'm slighly annoyed that Vulcanus carried a (British) .445 webeley. If there is going to be a god with his name stamped on ammunition and his factory a literal temple with human sacrifices, in America, the god would have carried a 1911.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

OWLS! posted:

But don't you know that Catholics aren't Christians?

Indeed. I mean, we even drink real human blood during mass!! :unsmigghh:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Desperado Bones posted:

Indeed. I mean, we even drink real human blood during mass!! :unsmigghh:

Man, I keep forgetting that actual anti-Catholicism is actually a thing that exists. And uses this exact argument.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OWLS! posted:

Man, I keep forgetting that actual anti-Catholicism is actually a thing that exists. And uses this exact argument.

The arguments I hear around here are "Indulgences! Idolatry/Worship of Saints! Pedophiles!".

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

OWLS! posted:

:allears: I had evangelical and christian friends lend me their weirdo books,or tell me about the things they would hear in their churches, I remember very well the human blood thing, the thing about the virgin mary being a pagan goddess or something(The same virgin mary, in their same bibles), that we consider saints to be actual gods, something something satanic. And because not many think critically or decide to find out by themselves if it's real or not, they truly believe it.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 5, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

OWLS! posted:

Also realized this morning that I'm slighly annoyed that Vulcanus carried a (British) .445 webeley. If there is going to be a god with his name stamped on ammunition and his factory a literal temple with human sacrifices, in America, the god would have carried a 1911.

I assume it was the best gun they could find for how the scene was written. Although I assume colt made a revolver at one point that opened up the same way.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Regarding Catholicism and anti-immigrant loons, Iowa's Rep Steve king is Catholic and has blasted Mexicans with "cantaloupe calves" walking bales of weed across the desert saying for every valedictorian there's 100s of drug mules. Recently he said "We can't restore our civilization with someone else's babies." gently caress Steve king, and Catholics like him. That poo poo is not the Catholicism I was raised on.

Also OWLS!, Vulcan took something European (the Webley and himself) and made it 'Murican (with .45 caliber rounds and rednecks firing into the air).

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Lepricunt is now my favorite word.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

GonSmithe posted:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/undercover-border-militia-immigration-bauer

They're typically not religiously-motivated so much as extremely racist, and they're from all over. It's not exactly a stretch to see white, anglo catholics in such a group. I feel obligated to clarify that most of us southwesterners are not like these assholes :(

Steve Yun posted:

Conservative white Jesus going to be strange.... when they announced Jeremy Davies I assumed that would mean he was going to be a liberal white hippie Jesus

I think White Jesus and Hippy Jesus are two distinct entities.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 5, 2017

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/871541784924479488

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sickening posted:

I assume it was the best gun they could find for how the scene was written. Although I assume colt made a revolver at one point that opened up the same way.

You could also do the same sort of thing with a classic cowboy revolver of some description (Flick open the loading gate, spin cylinder for bonus points). But I'm just being nitpicky. It was a cool scene.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eat This Glob posted:

Also OWLS!, Vulcan took something European (the Webley and himself) and made it 'Murican (with .45 caliber rounds and rednecks firing into the air).

True on the European becoming American part, except the caliber, the 445 webley is actually an original webley cartridge. :science:

(Yes, I paused the video to take a closer look at the case head, yes, I am a loving nerd to know obscure calibers. Gonna gently caress off back to TFR now).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I seeeeee.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I was too excited to see a Webley to think that he should have a 1911 or a SAA or a S&W Model 3 or one of it's derivatives or sub versions, like the Schofield.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

OWLS! posted:

True on the European becoming American part, except the caliber, the 445 webley is actually an original webley cartridge. :science:

(Yes, I paused the video to take a closer look at the case head, yes, I am a loving nerd to know obscure calibers. Gonna gently caress off back to TFR now).

I'll have to go back and look, but I thought Vulcan's revolver had 45 stamped on the casings. But we can bring the discussion to the TFR's movie/show thread to spare these poor people from our gun sperging.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bert Roberge posted:

Lepercunt is now my favorite word.

Fixed.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

The Muslim, the Leprechaun, and The Dead Wife Road Trip is probably some of my favorite TV at the moment. Mad Sweeney's just such a dick to everyone, it's super entertaining to watch.

Dudikoff
Mar 30, 2003

That was such a fun episode. Ian McShane is looking pretty feeble these days, so that huge, heavy sword looked really awkward in his hands.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dudikoff posted:

That was such a fun episode. Ian McShane is looking pretty feeble these days, so that huge, heavy sword looked really awkward in his hands.

I'm hoping that's intentional because his character is supposed to be diminished.

cool kids inc. posted:

The Muslim, the Leprechaun, and The Dead Wife Road Trip is probably some of my favorite TV at the moment. Mad Sweeney's just such a dick to everyone, it's super entertaining to watch.

If they just go a little further west we can get the Vegas Road Trip we all want! I mean, she is revisiting her old haunts... :homebrew:

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm hoping that's intentional because his character is supposed to be diminished.

That's what I was thinking. He did move pretty quickly when he needed to.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He is 74 though.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Please, again, I beg of thee, tell me where I can get the taxi driver's sweater, it is my only wish

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Capntastic posted:

Please, again, I beg of thee, tell me where I can get the taxi driver's sweater, it is my only wish

its in ur butt, boy

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

"Why do you want to see your genie man again Mr. Cabbie?"

"I'm a size queen."

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:o

https://twitter.com/MousaKraish/status/871523002533371904

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Not sure what you thought would be achieved by those spoiler tags. :butt:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Not that I don't believe him, but as soon as that conversation started I knew for an absolute certainty that it would end with Laura saying exactly that, or something very close to it.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
I may be bad at watching TV but is it the first episode in which Mr. Wednesday's right pupil is lighter than the left? If not it was never that conspicuous I think. Progressive condition that worsens as Ragnarok comes closer I guess?

Also it's too bad the sword looked ugly and unwieldable, Swearengen just needed a fighting knife...

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I didn't notice Odin's eye until episode 3. I could be wrong but I don't think it was as obvious earlier on. :shrug:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The eye has been getting progressively more noticable as the series progresses, they went out their way for the light to hit his eyes and reflect differently from each one (I'm assuming McShane is wearing a contact). Both eyes moves which real glass eyes dont do as far as I know, but theres really a limited amount they could do about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

I thought it was interesting in an episode about resurrection, (Mad Sweeny taking Laura to Kentucky, Mexican Jesus sacrificing himself) that when Laura peeked in on her family it looked like they were painting Easter eggs. Love the little details like that.