Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I think F Final is sorta maybe on the borderline of being a Wonkysoft era game that's playable.

"No Skip Animations" kinda sucks, but I do believe there are Gameshark codes that remove the animations - of course, that's basically kind of a binary switch and there's no "shortened combat results" which means the only way you can track damage is manually doing it yourself, so I guess it's not the perfect answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The best part is all 3 of the complete box games are being sold separately on PSN for about twice as much as any other PS1 game on the store (about the same as all the FFs, I believe). I'm pretty sure you can get a physical copy for basically nothing in any used game store in Japan, and that would come with all 3.

I really wish the had Alpha 2 and 3 on PSN. I also wish I hadn't sold my copies before moving back to the states.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
F and F Final are legit fun games despite being from the weird pre-Alpha transition period of SRW. They demand a different mindset than modern SRWs where using non-A list robots/pilots is probably going to be a struggle no matter how much love you give them, and they're definitely harder than what most players are used to until F Final gives you a bunch of insanely broken robots which break the game wide open.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
sorry for the massive newbie questions but i haven't played SRW since OG1 on the GBA, so here we go

-what should i be spending my money on for mech upgrades? is it pretty different for each robot or is there a general "good idea"
-will using the Yamato early game screw me over, Fire Emblem pre-upgraded units style?
-does it make a massive difference to go for all the SR Points or is it more for challenge?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1:

super robot that uses en: en > damage > armor > hp > mobility
super robot that uses ammo: damage > armor > hp > mobility > en
real robot that uses en: en > damage > mobility > hp > armor
real robot that uses ammo: damage > mobility > hp > armor > en

real robots are the guys with no hp and a lot of mobility. super robots are the guys with high hp and low mobility. also battleships follow super robot rules. if a unit uses a mix of both, check what attacks you use more.

2: nah, the yamato isn't that overleveled and it gets even better as the game goes on and it gets more attacks. not to mention it's possible to get multiple levels in a single attack in srw and progression is based more on upgrades/pilot skills than levels, tho levels do unlock spirit commands. anyway, you'll be fine.

3: theres no secret route that the sr points unlock but the game's difficulty does scale with how many SR points you get.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The xp curve in Super Robot Wars is really friendly. An underleveled unit can become passable with just a few kills, especially if you use the spirits that multiply experience - and in V, for the first time since the weird one on the Wii (NEO owns), you can pop those exactly when you want them.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Fire Emblem maxes at 100xp/1 level per kill, doesnt it? SRW doesnt have a limit. Higher level guys get less Exp but low level guys get way more and can level a whole bunch off a single kill.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
sweet thanks dudes, my main worry was Yamato being an experience vacuum and making everyone else into garbage. pretty hype to play a game with actual series' robots.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

sweet thanks dudes, my main worry was Yamato being an experience vacuum and making everyone else into garbage. pretty hype to play a game with actual series' robots.

The Yamato gets force-deployed enough as ti is, and plenty of mooks will try to hit it because it's a big target. It is probably the best battleship the series has seenin years and you'll lose nothing by using it as much as you want.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Yamato can easily solo the sort of secret/true ending route final stage as long as you can keep pumping it full of energy. SRW games are pretty well designed in that you can get every SR point with 0 upgrades in anything if you play it right, though sometimes its really tricky! And because they can't guarantee that you will have used a unit other than when you're forced to its very rare to be in a position where a unit will just die because its been force deployed on its own. This is especially true of V where you can cast defensive spells whenever you want.

When you upgrade something to 5 bars in everything that isn't weapons you'll get a special bonus for that robot. I recommend getting the Black Serena's asap. When you max out a unit's upgrades (again, other than weapons) you get to pick a bonus and unless the thing has 4 item slots already the one you want to pick every single time is an extra item slot because that can replicate every single other bonus and more.

Other than that just do whatever and enjoy the game! It's a good one and I'm pretty sure you can't completely mess anything up and there's always NG+ if you do!

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
SRW does have an "max experience gained from one battle" cap, but it's very hard to hit so I have no idea what it actually is. I'm thinking like 3000 or 5000 XP which would translate to 6 or 10 levels gained.

I think there's one mission where you can't deploy the Yamato, but I also think you would literally without hyperbole have to give every single kill to it for that to be an issue at all since any stray kill from underlevelled units in SRW with its EXP formula has you shooting up several levels.

Also, this is a bit of an undocumented feature as far as I know, but if you get a Game Over on a mission in SRW and let the game return naturally instead of resetting, you keep the money / exp gained before you GO'd. You lose the ability to receive the Battle Mastery for that stage, but this does mean it is impossible to ever be "stuck" because of mismanaged resources.

Simple upgrade priority: Handful of bars in accuracy -> Mobility or Armor for dodgetanks and armortanks respectively til you feel comfortable with their survival -> EN if necessary / Damage.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I just did across-the-board (apart from weapons) upgrades for most of the game, and tried to spread those 50%s around starting with my favorites instead of taking one unit straight to 100%. V isn't an especially punishing game. I ignored most Gundams and a bunch of historically strong wreckers (Daitarn and Zambot are so recently saturated I'd take Combattler and Voltes back at this point) and used most of the Hero Express through the final stage.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Another tip: for min maxing your Tac Points try to have 1200 in the bank for when the Factory is available so you can get the TAC Point Bonus at rank two right away. It pays for itself very quickly and after that is pure profit and because Tac Points are used to get all the best stuff (powerful skills and items) its good to have that as soon as possible. It doesn't matter if you don't do that though, I didn't and still had more than enough to buy all the powerful stuff and get everybody I used kitted out with the skills they need.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Endorph posted:

1:

super robot that uses en: en > damage > armor > hp > mobility
super robot that uses ammo: damage > armor > hp > mobility > en
real robot that uses en: en > damage > mobility > hp > armor
real robot that uses ammo: damage > mobility > hp > armor > en

real robots are the guys with no hp and a lot of mobility. super robots are the guys with high hp and low mobility. also battleships follow super robot rules. if a unit uses a mix of both, check what attacks you use more.

2: nah, the yamato isn't that overleveled and it gets even better as the game goes on and it gets more attacks. not to mention it's possible to get multiple levels in a single attack in srw and progression is based more on upgrades/pilot skills than levels, tho levels do unlock spirit commands. anyway, you'll be fine.

3: theres no secret route that the sr points unlock but the game's difficulty does scale with how many SR points you get.

So in V the only reward that SR points get you is your rear end kicked later in the game?

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

And freedom from the shame of having missed one :colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SR Points seemed pretty easy to get in V anyways. I got like the first 15 without even trying and then just decided to go all the way.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ChrisBTY posted:

So in V the only reward that SR points get you is your rear end kicked later in the game?

No, because you won't get your rear end kicked later in the game and if you do the game drops in difficulty again because I think you need 75% of available SR points to get bumped up to Hard so if you fail a few it'll drop again. The extra difficulty amounts to enemies having a couple more upgrades and kills and some SR points having a turn knocked off the requirement. I'm pretty sure in V that no bosses get their ace bonuses any earlier than on normal. SR points are pretty much the only semblance of difficulty in SRW and V is one of the easiest ones. Go for them or don't, but definitely don't be worried that the game is going to get too hard because if it does become too difficult for you then it will scale back down. You do get an extra 10k money for each one you get too!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

You also get an awesome item that gives whoever you equip it to two moves every turn, before Ex Count or Zeal shenanigans once youg et 50 SR Points in a playthrough. It's only for a couple stages, but it's fun to have.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm playing Z3 Jigoku and Amata's element power just doesn't seem to be working? Everyone else's works and their ace bonus applies it to the team when they're in front because I haven't got to the unlock for always on. Does anyone remember if Amata's activates later on in the story? It lights up at 130 will but he doesn't get any of the bonuses he's supposed to get.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
A question about the SR points in the Moon Dwellers - I know what they are and what comes from obtaining them, but are there any that would be better tacked on NG+? I think they're balance so that a skilled (or lucky) enough player should be able to get them without any upgrades and secrets, but now I'm on the third Land route stage (the science platform one) and I'm kind of debating the feasibility of defeating all those units in the time limit. I'm sure it's not even the most difficult one, but I'm not a particularly skilled player, either.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Some of the early Moon Dwellers SR points are pretty crazy, yeah. Most of them require you to plan for them in the deployment screen before the chapter. The Raid and Chain Action Twin Commands are really important.

If you're getting frustrated, there's no real harm in skipping them.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I think it'd be nice if the descriptions were correct - turns out killing the Boss made all of the opponents flee; I'd have obtained the SR regardless, but that's a bit of an artificial difficulty. Then again, were I to play in Japanese I'd most likely not understand the description at all, so I won't complain much.

Is there a difference in Saving "Date" and "Episode"? I'm always saving "Date", and that seems to save fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

I think it'd be nice if the descriptions were correct - turns out killing the Boss made all of the opponents flee; I'd have obtained the SR regardless, but that's a bit of an artificial difficulty. Then again, were I to play in Japanese I'd most likely not understand the description at all, so I won't complain much.

Is there a difference in Saving "Date" and "Episode"? I'm always saving "Date", and that seems to save fine.

Date shows you by the calendar date it was save, episode by the episode number. It's just a sort-of-unnecessary bit of user-convenience.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
On the other hand, without trying for the SR points I think the stages so far would offer very little challenge.

A question: is there any Mech that changes/upgrades later in the game, so that upgrading the earlier version would essentially save money? If they're worth it, of course.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

A question: is there any Mech that changes/upgrades later in the game, so that upgrading the earlier version would essentially save money? If they're worth it, of course.

I dont think so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/V/Upgrade_Carryover

if you mean what i think you mean. spoilers, natch. also this is missing salia's upgrade

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
God going back to the beginning of the game and I forgot how much I like Black Getter's animations and all the curving lasers.

Sucks it gets obsoleted. :(

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/V/Upgrade_Carryover

if you mean what i think you mean. spoilers, natch. also this is missing salia's upgrade

There's no "saving money" though since upgrades now have uniform costs across all machines.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Szurumbur posted:

That stuff is normally covered by the Victory condition, it'll say "defeat all enemies" or "defeat X unit" or something similar, but yeah MD's translation is not so hot so make sure to make a quick save at the start of your turns and have the wiki open if anything doesn't immediately make sense. Like you say without going for SR points there's not much difficulty so I recommend trying to go for them, but don't tear your hair out if you can't do it. The three most important tools for MD SR points for the tricky ones are the Raid and Chain Action twin commands along with battleship ferrying, which where you load all your units into a battleship turn 1 so on turn 2 they have the full movement of the battleship plus their own for maximum distance coverage.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
So is V better than the Z2/3 series? They're all available on PSN but they're both significant investments so I figure I'm only going to get one or the other at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

So is V better than the Z2/3 series? They're all available on PSN but they're both significant investments so I figure I'm only going to get one or the other at this point.

I think so. It's sort of Standard SRW (and absurdly easy) but it has the advantage of being its own thing with very minimal metaplot and that works in its favor. It spends a bare minimum amount of time on the original storyline rather than getting hyper bogged down in it and foreshadowing and prepping for future games and because it's one self-contained game it is much better paced.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
All that and its available in English if that matters.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

That stuff is normally covered by the Victory condition, it'll say "defeat all enemies" or "defeat X unit" or something similar, but yeah MD's translation is not so hot so make sure to make a quick save at the start of your turns and have the wiki open if anything doesn't immediately make sense. Like you say without going for SR points there's not much difficulty so I recommend trying to go for them, but don't tear your hair out if you can't do it. The three most important tools for MD SR points for the tricky ones are the Raid and Chain Action twin commands along with battleship ferrying, which where you load all your units into a battleship turn 1 so on turn 2 they have the full movement of the battleship plus their own for maximum distance coverage.

The "tricks" to SR Points are mostly the same throughout the games, and I can only say I try for most of the in the games I've played, which aren't that many (GBA's OG 1 and 2) and OGS on the PS2, but there's also the Trophy, man - I want it. I'm sure some will frustrate me, but I try not to upgrade my units at all, so as to have as much of a potential to improve as possible - so far it works, but I'm still at the very beginning of the game, I'm sure it'll change.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Getsuya posted:

I also think V is better but if you ever decide to get the Z games 2 is better than 3.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Is 2 the one with Gigantor in it?

Also: My copy of V arrived today, but they couldn't deliver it so I'll get it at the post office tomorrow.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Gigantor appears in the second game of Z2.

I like how, like Daitarn, he is completely irrelevant to the Radiance of the Sun prophecy in Z3 and no one even brings it up even to handwave it away.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only good Z game was 1

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Apart from Z3.2 the other ones were okay. Not stellar, but fine. I'd play V over any of them, though, and I wouldn't play Z3.1 in a vacuum.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Caphi posted:

Gigantor appears in the second game of Z2.

I like how, like Daitarn, he is completely irrelevant to the Radiance of the Sun prophecy in Z3 and no one even brings it up even to handwave it away.

Which is especially weird because in Z3.1 when Space Devil Dude mentions the Radiance of the Sun they go "does he mean Tetsujin?" I suppose its just yet another thing they dropped the ball on for part 2.

Szurumbur posted:

The "tricks" to SR Points are mostly the same throughout the games, and I can only say I try for most of the in the games I've played, which aren't that many (GBA's OG 1 and 2) and OGS on the PS2, but there's also the Trophy, man - I want it. I'm sure some will frustrate me, but I try not to upgrade my units at all, so as to have as much of a potential to improve as possible - so far it works, but I'm still at the very beginning of the game, I'm sure it'll change.

Yeah I guess Raid and Chain Action are mostly covered by the "use your spells properly" umbrella, I was just mentioning those specifically because they're the ones that get you the things. The other thing you'll need to master if you're doing no upgrades is the Maximum Break mechanic. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Apart from Z3.2 the other ones were okay. Not stellar, but fine. I'd play V over any of them, though, and I wouldn't play Z3.1 in a vacuum.

I'd play Z3.1 before Z3.2. At least 3.1 has some satisfying plot beats.

• Locked thread