Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like Lebron literally paid for his guys and his team to go to school and training so they can learn the business of sports management and being an agent so he can uplift the people that were with him.

That's a negative though :laffo:

How dare lebron promote and help out his "posse" and not just hire some dude who only sees him as a client and a check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Wait, Larry Bird's favorite pastime was getting drunk and fighting in bars?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ghost Dog posted:

hasnt he made that same management group incredibly profitable and part of the massive portfolio of non nba business successes hes had? or is it someone else im not well versed in lebrons personal dealings other than delonte west hosed his mom and his dad is karl malone

Yes Him, Rich Paul and Maverick Carter. Have all done well for themselves and their clients. (Rich Paul has overreached some, but every agent does that from time to time. Not to mention it's on the player to tell the agent their goals.)

And it should loving be applauded that Lebron managed to bring his guys along with him and give the rope and platform to make their own money rather than just living off of/thru him.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It's sorta like what Vinnie did with the boys in Entourage..

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Dexo posted:

Yes Him, Rich Paul and Maverick Carter. Have all done well for themselves and their clients. (Rich Paul has overreached some, but every agent does that from time to time. Not to mention it's on the player to tell the agent their goals.)

And it should loving be applauded that Lebron managed to bring his guys along with him and give the rope and platform to make their own money rather than just living off of/thru him.

Quote for truth. He got killed at the time that he did it (mostly because people were sure that they'd either be horrible or not serious about it or both) and, sure, they mishandled The Decision, but there's no question with the benefit of hindsight that he ended up making a really solid decision for his friends and family. Lots of dudes feed their friends, but he taught them how to fish and built something alongside them that will likely last after his playing days are done.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Once i mortgage my house and purchase my Zos I will no longer have to go back to my broke boy lifestyle and Lebron-senpai will notice me

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Didn't LeBron meet Rich Paul because he had a really sweet Hawks jersey that LeBron liked? Yeah he did those guys a real solid but that situation had disaster written all over it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

Once i mortgage my house and purchase my Zos I will no longer have to go back to my broke boy lifestyle and Lebron-senpai will notice me

Careful that you don't overreach and become a Big Baller.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I don't like teams that win a lot unless I liked them before because I'm not a front running coward and Death to All Tyrants not because some weird fantasy about Lebron's personal life or because Steph Curry is a corny gently caress

But even when the Magic were good I knew Dwight was a spoiled baby idiot. Just be real with yourselves, your top ten all time team is made up of corny cowardly baby assholes but I'm real happy for y'all alongside whom I posted about the Maggette Warriors and the agony and ecstasy of Baron Davis. Kevman remember when Monta was gonna be a star specifically because he had a killer midrange game?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
People loving hated Lebron when he went to Miami. Why are people acting like he had a free pass? He got just as much poo poo as KD is getting.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Didn't LeBron meet Rich Paul because he had a really sweet Hawks jersey that LeBron liked? Yeah he did those guys a real solid but that situation had disaster written all over it

Selling Jerseys is only how they met and became friends in the first place.

People seem to forget forget that Rich Paul didn't take over being Lebron's agent til like 2011 or 2012.

Rich Paul worked with Lebron's agent for like 6 drat years before they both left CAA in 2011(or 2012) and started their own company.

Rich Paul put in 6 years of loving work at CAA working under agent Leon Rose before he started his own thing. Obviously Lebron probably got him the job, but that's how everyone gets jobs in most industries at that level. It's all about who you know to get a foot in the door.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

BWV posted:

The Cavs need under armour to release a new Steph shoe.

Wasn't he wearing new shoes in game 1 or were they already released but not available?

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/1/15727374/stephen-curry-new-shoes-game-1-of-the-nba-finals-not-bad

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

It was a Houston Oilers Warren Moon jersey and no, I don't know why I remember that

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

prolly cause warren moon owns and you want to be friends with rich paul( and lebron) too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EvanTH I did some more research and apparently the 81 thing is because Jalen Rose was on the Raps when Kobe scored 81 on them.

Also that clip was from a Jalen Rose pilot for ABC called Jalen Rose v Everybody which didn't get picked up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah rich Paul seems legit .

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

zoux posted:

EvanTH I did some more research and apparently the 81 thing is because Jalen Rose was on the Raps when Kobe scored 81 on them.

Yeah jalen has done some pretty funny stuff talking about the 81 game from the standpoint of one of the dudes who got 81'd

Iirc he said something about how stubborn the coach (Sam Mitchell I think?) was about not double teaming Kobe even though the players wanted to.

Also lol my phone autocapitalizes Kobe but not jalen sorry jalen

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TBeats posted:

People loving hated Lebron when he went to Miami. Why are people acting like he had a free pass? He got just as much poo poo as KD is getting.

Easily. And the KD hate will have died down in 5 years too, to a mixture of awe, grudging respect, and simmering but mild dislike. Also Rcarr

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Yeah jalen has done some pretty funny stuff talking about the 81 game from the standpoint of one of the dudes who got 81'd

Iirc he said something about how stubborn the coach (Sam Mitchell I think?) was about not double teaming Kobe even though the players wanted to.

Does he still block anyone that tweets anything with 81 and his name in it.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lebron owns, KD owns, Steph owns, the Miami teams owned and the Warriors own. It owned that the Cavs won last year and it owns that he warriors are gonna go 16-0 this year.

A Bunch o fat internet dudes who maybe get a run in once a week at the gym calling KD a bitch will never not be funny.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lebron owns, KD owns, Steph owns, the Miami teams owned and the Warriors own. It owned that the Cavs won last year and it owns that he warriors are gonna go 16-0 this year.

A Bunch o fat internet dudes who maybe get a run in once a week at the gym calling KD a bitch will never not be funny.

This is money

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

I mean, people have made an initial connection on less. And how you meet isn't nearly as important as how the relationship goes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Pretty accurate

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

BobHoward posted:

Yeah he got in depth on the topic early on when hejust had a sometimees weekly podcast. The story was that Sam Mitchell was trying to show up the team and benched Rose and maybe Mo Pete whenthey tried doubling Kobe. So there's a sam mitchell asterisk on the 81. Jalen also admitted to trying to Bruce Bowen kobe during that game and failing

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ghost Dog posted:

also comparing me to bashez is a huge compliment thanks

bashez owns and he understands basketball really well, but he possesses the fanatic spirit of the devout fan of a perennially losing team, content to camp out in the cheap seats and recall the glory days 16 rosters ago when they almost made the second round, so he's been driven quite mad by the cognitive dissonance required to maintain this Losers Mindset despite his team being the most consistently successful franchise in all of american sports over the last three decades

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

TBeats posted:

Lebron got much worse. People were acting like he killed a child and had ritualistic sex with the corpse. They were furious. The cottage Lebron Industry exploded. Skip Bayless probably made his career on the decision.

The response to KD has basically come 3 ways,
1. The wise NBA fan, hmm it's interesting that such a strange confluence of events came together to allow this signing, and it's also odd that reviled coach Mark Jackson built the churchy culture that helped the Warriors get Igoudala for cheap and draw in Durant while being such a terrible XOs coach. (Not to minimize KD's desire to play in a real offense without Russ pounding the air out of the ball.)

2. The upset OKC fan, rightfully upset after they seemed so close, but free agency is free agency

3. The hot take expert who thinks signing to a team for roughly the same amount of money, where he'd enjoy playing more and possibly extend his career due to limited minutes, was a totally bitch pussy human being coward decision

Can these three be brought to some sort of concordat. Welll , once he wins finals MVP, all the shook bitchmade people will quiet down because they have a one season memory.

OKC fans might be rightfully upset for a while, but I think he did his time there, they fuckedu p, they had a chance to have westbrook, Durant, and Harden. They had a chance and it felll apart. Easy go. And of course the wise NBA fan applauds crisp passing and intelligent use of JAmes Michael McAdoo

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

zoux posted:

Also that clip was from a Jalen Rose pilot for ABC called Jalen Rose v Everybody which didn't get picked up.

haha I know that I just couldn't figure out what the "twitter" "statue" thing Jalen apologizes for was

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

rename me Hot Take Expert tia

EvanTH posted:

bashez owns and he understands basketball really well, but he possesses the fanatic spirit of the devout fan of a perennially losing team, content to camp out in the cheap seats and recall the glory days 16 rosters ago when they almost made the second round, so he's been driven quite mad by the cognitive dissonance required to maintain this Losers Mindset despite his team being the most consistently successful franchise in all of american sports over the last three decades

you cant get that good at posting without it wearing down to your soul

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 5, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Lebron got much worse. People were acting like he killed a child and had ritualistic sex with the corpse. They were furious. The cottage Lebron Industry exploded. Skip Bayless probably made his career on the decision.

The response to KD has basically come 3 ways,
1. The wise NBA fan, hmm it's interesting that such a strange confluence of events came together to allow this signing, and it's also odd that reviled coach Mark Jackson built the churchy culture that helped the Warriors get Igoudala for cheap and draw in Durant while being such a terrible XOs coach. (Not to minimize KD's desire to play in a real offense without Russ pounding the air out of the ball.)

2. The upset OKC fan, rightfully upset after they seemed so close, but free agency is free agency

3. The hot take expert who thinks signing to a team for roughly the same amount of money, where he'd enjoy playing more and possibly extend his career due to limited minutes, was a totally bitch pussy human being coward decision

Can these three be brought to some sort of concordat. Welll , once he wins finals MVP, all the shook bitchmade people will quiet down because they have a one season memory.

OKC fans might be rightfully upset for a while, but I think he did his time there, they fuckedu p, they had a chance to have westbrook, Durant, and Harden. They had a chance and it felll apart. Easy go. And of course the wise NBA fan applauds crisp passing and intelligent use of JAmes Michael McAdoo

he was extremely deceptive with his best friend russell, and basketball is about friendship first and foremost. if he'd done it in some way that hadn't made westbrook hate him it'd be more okay

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
bashez is the lebron of trolling dumbies

@7A_NBA is to blame for everyone being so mad at kevin. we loved those pictures, that kawaii poo poo

also it ended up making a team noone can beat

EvanTH posted:

he was extremely deceptive with his best friend russell, and basketball is about friendship first and foremost. if he'd done it in some way that hadn't made westbrook hate him it'd be more okay

epic this

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

EvanTH posted:

They stopped being friends after Russ went 7/21 in game 7 last year

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

attackmole posted:

https://streamable.com/vekvo

rofl at how mad tony brothers looks.

This is one of the best videos since that Dwight and SVG one.

Femur posted:

So Lebron will is no longer be the undisputed best player in the NBA?

Maybe not. KD might have a higher maximum peak zenith value right now. KD is just the third player in the last forty years I think to have two 33.6+ GmSc games in the same finals:

code:
GmSc	Player		Date
37	Charles Barkley	6/11/1993
35.6	Charles Barkley	6/16/1993
39.2	LeBron James	6/13/2016
42.5	LeBron James	6/16/2016
33.7	Kevin Durant	6/1/2017
33.6	Kevin Durant	6/4/2017

Cool Buff Man posted:

Nobody ever mentions players dying except for you, you loving weirdo

The Fan starring Robert De Niro as Tae:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJhwzOqqdqU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Joe Lacob is sitting there smiling to himself, wriggling in a sheen of deep self-satisfaction, a job well done for every point Kevin Durant scores. Can't wait to watch him grinning and handing the O'Brien trophy (which he earned with his smart business decisions) to his employees, a few manual labor contractors in uniforms

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Zogo posted:

The Fan starring Robert De Niro as Tae:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJhwzOqqdqU

I love you Zogo

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

They stopped being friends after Russ went 7/21 in game 7 last year

whoa I didn't know that. That's pretty lame on his part.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kibner posted:

I mean, people have made an initial connection on less. And how you meet isn't nearly as important as how the relationship goes.

like hiring a golf buddy to coach your team!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think KD wasn't smart. I don't think KD wasn't entitled to do what he wants. I do, however, think it's really easy for him to win a title now and it's comical how KD has the balls to act like this is the hard road. Bullshit. Own up to the villainy like LeBron did in Miami instead of going WHY DON'T YOU LIKE US?

I say this as someone who hated LeBron for The Decision. I haaaaated him. But at least that Big Three was new instead of a Big Three feat. Kevin Durant, and Miami owned the villainy. I don't see that from GSW.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

zoux posted:

I wasn't around but I assume the thread last year after game 2 looked about like this?

Last year after G2 many were talking about how unfair it was that GSW was going to sweep and how embarrassing it all was. GSW was +48 on CLE through two. This year they're +41 through two. Now GSW is favored to win the series but everyone writing CLE off completely doesn't even remember last year.

G3 is the big one. If GSW goes up 3-0 it looks safe.

leftist heap posted:

lol I joked in the GDT that I hadn't seen Deron Williams make a shot so far and I just looked it up and he's 0-9

Deron Williams and JR Smith are in danger of putting up the worst box scores in the NBA finals since at least 1974.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
when the Knicks are good we'll own up to our villainy AND boo our owner in the same season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I believe it's possible to think that everything Durant did was a totally fair exploitation of the system and still think that he's a big bitchbaby coward for doing it.

• Locked thread