Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ok CBS confirmed this as legit:

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/05/top-secret-nsa-report-details-russian-hacking-effort-days-before-2016-election/

NSA docs detailing the state level russian attacks on our election systems in the days leading up to the election last year. No details on how many were successful nor how deep any got, but targeted emails of a shitton of candidates plus direct assaults on various election systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/05/top-secret-nsa-report-details-russian-hacking-effort-days-before-2016-election/

NSA docs detailing the state level russian attacks on our election systems in the days leading up to the election last year. No details on how many were successful nor how deep any got, but targeted emails of a shitton of candidates plus direct assaults on various election systems.

Should be noted, this is detailing one specific attack. There are likely others this report doesn't cover and ones we may not know about

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Woah, if the intercept is running that then it's probably serious cause they were saying "Don't blame Russia without proof!!!" the whole time while everyone else was already pointing fingers. We all know it was them, but it's really really nice to have actual proof.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That's why I went conspiracy thread with it first, but then I saw CBS confirm it.

Lou Takki posted:

Should be noted, this is detailing one specific attack. There are likely others this report doesn't cover and ones we may not know about

This times 1 million. I think my favorite joke so far was "wonder if Trump's 3 million illegal cast votes was just projecting"

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Are phishing scams super hard to detect now or something? They still point to a website that isn't actually google/apple/whatever, so are people just not checking these things when they work in really secure places?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Are phishing scams super hard to detect now or something? They still point to a website that isn't actually google/apple/whatever, so are people just not checking these things when they work in really secure places?

People are idiots. Social engineering has always been the best vehicle for espionage and will continue to be in electronic format.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Hahahahahaha gasp gasp
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3639679.stm

7 of 10 people will sell their work email password for candy

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I read this book when I was like 16-17 so maybe that's why I double check stuff all the time and never ever trust having to enter my password unless I know its supposed to promt.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I don't even know 95% of my passwords anymore thanks to KeePass, and randomly generated passwords.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
95% of phishing attempts are really obvious if you're even the slightest bit wary but occasionally there are some incredibly deceptive ones. The only way to be safe is to basically never trust an email unless you're expecting it.

/\/\/\ and yeah use a password generator/manager.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I have a fairly simple system to customize my passwords to every service or website that some IT goofball once showed me.

You come up with a base-password that you modify by any number of criteria you choose, dependant on the service you're logging into, it's name, length of name, type of domain, number of loving vowels in it, all of which can trigger inclusion of different effects.

Like, a basic version would be to add the first and last letter of the service name, add a y or n if it's longer or shorter than x characters, or alternate capitalization if there's more than two vowels in there, etc.

Make up a "recipe" that you can remember easily and there you are. Don't write it down or save it, like my dad does.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Writing the password down in a notebook that's kept securely near the computer is better than reusing the same weak passwords.

If someone gets physical access to the computer, you're probably hosed anyway.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

They've gotten more creative. The bulk are still dumb and obvious as poo poo, but nation-state actors and serious criminals can pair them with DNS hijacking, stolen certificates, and other techniques to make it difficult to detect when a website is not legitimate.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The DOJ just announced charges against the contractor that leaked that NSA report:

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/871836350709891073

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

psydude posted:

They've gotten more creative. The bulk are still dumb and obvious as poo poo, but nation-state actors and serious criminals can pair them with DNS hijacking, stolen certificates, and other techniques to make it difficult to detect when a website is not legitimate.

About two weeks ago was a very legit looking Gmail scam that went out where users got sent an email from a coworker or someone they knew inviting them to share a Google Drive doc. I drat near fell for it myself. The email came from the girl who sits next to me at work. We share docs all the time. I didn't even think twice up until the prompt said that clicking OK would give the Drive owner permission to my email account.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
my password: manscaping69

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mr. Nice! posted:

So this is the evidence right? Like no more rumors, this is legit as legit gets?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

cowboy elvis posted:

So this is the evidence right? Like no more rumors, this is legit as legit gets?

It's fake news

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

cowboy elvis posted:

Pfft, you wish. The Deep State is keeping us all in the dark!

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

The DOJ just announced charges against the contractor that leaked that NSA report:

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/871836350709891073

What a name though, Reality Leigh Winner. :j:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Stellar Curiosity posted:

What a name though, Reality Leigh Winner. :j:

Lol I thought WINNER was some shade rear end DOJ-assigned cover name to the dude.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I have a fairly simple system to customize my passwords to every service or website that some IT goofball once showed me.

You come up with a base-password that you modify by any number of criteria you choose, dependant on the service you're logging into, it's name, length of name, type of domain, number of loving vowels in it, all of which can trigger inclusion of different effects.

Like, a basic version would be to add the first and last letter of the service name, add a y or n if it's longer or shorter than x characters, or alternate capitalization if there's more than two vowels in there, etc.

This is the system I utilize, and it always infuriates me when a drat website has max character limits for passwords since it throws it all off.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Normally I'd yell more about contractors loving up yet again, but gently caress it, that woman's a Winner.

:suicide:

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 5, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Wonder what type of sentence he's gonna get.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
In a surprise to no one, Glenn Greenwald moving to downplay The Intercept's reporting today.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cowboy elvis posted:

About two weeks ago was a very legit looking Gmail scam that went out where users got sent an email from a coworker or someone they knew inviting them to share a Google Drive doc. I drat near fell for it myself. The email came from the girl who sits next to me at work. We share docs all the time. I didn't even think twice up until the prompt said that clicking OK would give the Drive owner permission to my email account.

I got that one too, but it's from some idiot I went to school with and haven't spoken to since he contributed nothing to our group project. I deleted it.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

cowboy elvis posted:

Much like finding out who it was that gave you HIV, the answer was already obvious and it doesn't change what we're forced to deal with.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tastefully arranged labia posted:

I'm probating you if you use military time again

:same:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

In a surprise to no one, Glenn Greenwald moving to downplay The Intercept's reporting today.

What a giant tool. With a following of complete idiots.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/871832554604818432
https://twitter.com/TinaDesireeBerg/status/871842122634149888
https://twitter.com/GadflyMorse/status/871834146817150977
https://twitter.com/Mass_Critic/status/871840807925448705

Is this what the Bernouts are doing these days?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I am a journalist! I am a journalist! I insist as I leak myself into an infinite regression of matryoshka dolls as the Soviet national anthem plays along

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Can someone photoshop Greenwald and Assange onto Sidney Poitier and Tony Curtis' heads on the cover of The Defiant Ones with embassy guards on one end and Russians on the other?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/QuadCityPat/status/871860975489757186

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Zeris posted:

Can someone photoshop Greenwald and Assange onto Sidney Poitier and Tony Curtis' heads on the cover of The Defiant Ones with embassy guards on one end and Russians on the other?

Done.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Intercept probably blew the source when the reporter(s) checked with ANOTHER contractor to confirm the document's veracity and literally gave them full pictures of the document, plus the intelligence report number. There's some bullshit in there about the documents being creased, but it looks like Contractor #2 went to the government, then the government person blew it up.

https://twitter.com/max_read/status/871862790113419264

And I swear, this Comey thing could turn out to be overhyped and become a nothingburger, but gently caress it will be good television.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/871864020155990017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

quote:

According to court documents, Winner had a top-security clearance as an active-duty member of the Air Force from January 2013 until February of this year, when she began working for Pluribus International Corporation, a government contractor, at a facility in Georgia.

sweet baby jesus thank gently caress

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean I get that fort gordon sucks but lmao

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
She admitted it to the Agent. It's like she wanted to get caught.

quote:

15. On June 3, 2017, your affiant spoke to WINNER at her home in Augusta, Georgia.
During that conversation, WINNER admitted intentionally identifying and printing the classified
intelligence reporting at issue despite not having a "need to know," and with knowledge that the
intelligence reporting was classified. WINNER further admitted removing the classified
intelligence reporting from her office space, retaining it, and mailing it from Augusta, Georgia, to
the News Outlet, which she knew was not authorized to receive or possess the documents.
WINNER further acknowledged that she was aware of the contents of the intelligence reporting
and that she knew the contents of the reporting could be used to the injury of the United States
and to the advantage of a foreign nation.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This is me applying my :tinfoil: directly to the forehead for just a moment, but convincing someone to send documents directly to a paper known for downplaying Russian hacking while exposing the document to foreign states would be a pretty good move.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
oh my god reality winner is her real name

and the intercept thought it was a cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Her whole everything is confusing. Wiki leaks fan, intercept fan, and she leaks anti-russian stuff? Maybe this is supposed to be a "this is all they have, no proof" kind of thing. Or maybe she was confused and the intercept reporter forgot who they work for.

• Locked thread