Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
whens marvel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Star Man posted:

whens marvel

the question we must ask is "whys marvel" and the answer is because wotc

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Does a person working for a card store have an ulterior motive in driving up prices of random-rear end cards? We need a crack team of journalists for this one!

He's an idiot if he's not making bank off spiking the prices of random garbage every week but at the very least the site he works for doesn't sell cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

every time I've tried to watch marvel I've been confused by all the random poo poo that comes flying in from offscreen

it's a remarkably apt comparison, really

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Would Marvel be anywhere near as good without Ulamog though?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

gonadic io posted:

I would play it because there is a lot of fun janky things you could do with it. I'd have like a bunch of 2 of's

- Cloudblazer
- Nissa's Renewal
- Approach of the 2nd Sun
- The 10/10 vanilla eldrazi that brings along a 10/10 vanilla token

etc etc

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hellsau posted:

There's a whole bunch of valuable stuff in the set and if you're having fun drafting the box, go for it.

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I say pull the trigger, conspiracy sets are amazingly fun to draft and there's money cards in it to boot.
I did it. :retrogames: Now to wait for my friends' schedules to clear up for the summer so we can maybe crack this thing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Nicol Bolas Archenemy lists are out: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/archenemy-nicol-bolas-preview-2017-06-05

It's Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker with new art rather than God-Pharaoh or a new card. His deck runs Blood Tyrant, which seems like a good fit for the format.

Opposing PWs are Gideon Jura, Chandra Pyromaster and Nissa Worldwaker, which are all pretty good versions of those guys. Gideon seems to have interesting implications in the game mode.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you want to see them in practice, the Command Zone peeps did a video with Gavin Verhey and Mel Li:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgvKLZPDIIE

It doesn't look very... Fun.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

Nicol Bolas Archenemy lists are out: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/archenemy-nicol-bolas-preview-2017-06-05

It's Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker with new art rather than God-Pharaoh or a new card. His deck runs Blood Tyrant, which seems like a good fit for the format.

Opposing PWs are Gideon Jura, Chandra Pyromaster and Nissa Worldwaker, which are all pretty good versions of those guys. Gideon seems to have interesting implications in the game mode.

The art on the Gatewatch PWs is hilariously bad. Well, maybe not as much for Nissa.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The art on the schemes on the other hand is just hilarious:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

C-Euro posted:

The art on the Gatewatch PWs is hilariously bad. Well, maybe not as much for Nissa.

I can see what they're going for, but yeah. Bolas looks great though, although I like Swanland's art for God-Pharaoh better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

gonadic io posted:

No. This is what I keep telling people too. Marvel and Ulamog should not have been in the same format. Same for Worldbreaker. WOTC's original sin was backing off the quicker standard rotations for no good reason. (That doesn't mean Marvel is good design but I imagine it wouldn't be a T1 deck without Ulamog or Worldbreaker)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

scheme power level: inconsistent

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
odds that the big guy pictured in Power Overwhelming is the "Gift of the God-Pharoah"?

edit: another scheme shows him rolling through the gate pictured on Gate to the Afterlife

goferchan fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 5, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hellsau posted:

the question we must ask is "whys marvel" and the answer is because wotc

I'm now going to spam "whens marvel" to Forsythe's Twitter.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/871721201110069248

:tif:

I swear I saw a tweet recently that mentioned that the modern recent modern gp's had higher attendance than almost twice the number of recent standard gp's or something?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I have jammed grixis shadow pretty hard in the last month. I just hate the deck. The ceiling of the deck is really high but holy gently caress can the lows be so low. I do always feel like I can sit down and beat any matchup though. Its a deck that will be mentally exhausting after x rounds over 2 days though.

Temur Battle Rage and goyf and just my jam and that is what I am going to play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

I swear I saw a tweet recently that mentioned that the modern recent modern gp's had higher attendance than almost twice the number of recent standard gp's or something?

The traditional triangle was aggro/midrange > control > combo > aggro/midrange, yeah?

Because what I'm seeing here is 40% midrange, 45% combo, and the natural result that would follow from the removal of a part of that ecosystem

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 5, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it sad that the thing I'm most excited about is the idea that Grim Lavamancer will have a reprint with the judge promo/Fire & Lightning/M12 illustration that isn't foil and doesn't have an ugly core set symbol on it?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm pretty curious how many people tried their luck with the slot machine on day one.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

The traditional triangle was aggro/midrange > control > combo > aggro/midrange, yeah?

Because what I'm seeing here is 40% midrange, 45% combo, and the natural result that would follow from the removal of a part of that ecosystem

the only consistent triangle is that of 'fair' decks: control > midrange > aggro > control. Being slower and bigger is always an advantage until the gap gets wide enough that you can no longer keep up with the faster deck.

combo and ramp can have very different matchup profiles depending on the deck. Aetherworks Marvel is a classic example of a "combo" card that's actually good vs control - much like planeswalkers, it doesn't die to creature removal and it generates incremental value when it's not just winning the game. control tends to beat 'all-in' combo decks but current Marvel builds are very much not that.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Star Man posted:

Is it sad that the thing I'm most excited about is the idea that Grim Lavamancer will have a reprint with the judge promo/Fire & Lightning/M12 illustration that isn't foil and doesn't have an ugly core set symbol on it?

Being picky about the set symbol is a bit precious, but you do you. Nothing wrong with preferring particular art for your cards. I, for one, am holding out hope that maybe Iconic masters will bring me a black-bordered, modern-frame, non-foil Birds of Paradise with anything other than the ugly Ravnica art on it (and if God is truly smiling, the Terese Nielsen art)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Yeah but the top 8s are fine. Everything is fine.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

St0rmD posted:

Being picky about the set symbol is a bit precious, but you do you. Nothing wrong with preferring particular art for your cards. I, for one, am holding out hope that maybe Iconic masters will bring me a black-bordered, modern-frame, non-foil Birds of Paradise with anything other than the ugly Ravnica art on it (and if God is truly smiling, the Terese Nielsen art)

The little gold badge on my cards must be as beautiful as the rest of it! I'm also weird and prefer cards that don't have reminder text on them for evergreen abilities like flying or scry.

And I like the Ravnica Birds of Paradise, though I would prefer a non-foil edition with Nielsen's artwork.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 5, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I have a foil RAV Birds in my cube because the original art doesn't exist in foil. They look really nice.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I recently acquired some revised BoP's from another goon. They're going to look ridiculous on the signed playmat I have of the art. Plus, adorable T's :3:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Yeah but the top 8s are fine. Everything is fine.

TBH there's more variance at the top than the last round of standard, where it was all mardu vehicles (with a periodic cat combo).

Marvel's clearly very good but it's not like there aren't other amazing decks. Think back to last standard, or the CoCo days where if you didn't run one of two decks you weren't going to do anything.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

I have jammed grixis shadow pretty hard in the last month. I just hate the deck. The ceiling of the deck is really high but holy gently caress can the lows be so low. I do always feel like I can sit down and beat any matchup though. Its a deck that will be mentally exhausting after x rounds over 2 days though.

Temur Battle Rage and goyf and just my jam and that is what I am going to play.

I adore DSJ with the white splash sideboard. It might be less potential upside than Grixis but I'm not a pro. It has a good gameplan and is resilient against a lot of stuff. I still absolutely hate gowide creature decks, however, and I'm not certain the deck shouldn't be running 2-3 Anger of the Gods in the board vs like 1 stupid Kozilek's Return.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I wish Ichorid would get a reprint that was Modern-legal so that Dredge could play with Bridge from Below.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I adore DSJ with the white splash sideboard. It might be less potential upside than Grixis but I'm not a pro. It has a good gameplan and is resilient against a lot of stuff. I still absolutely hate gowide creature decks, however, and I'm not certain the deck shouldn't be running 2-3 Anger of the Gods in the board vs like 1 stupid Kozilek's Return.

ShaneB posted:

I am a fan of k return. Its live against all the good wide decks a lot of the time and an ace against affinity. Its basically perfect as a one of right now. Anger is really good right now but the issue is that its also very hard to cast for the deck.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Sickening posted:

I am a fan of k return. Its live against all the good wide decks a lot of the time and an ace against affinity. Its basically perfect as a one of right now. Anger is really good right now but the issue is that its also very hard to cast for the deck.

Also basically everything you care about has 2 or less toughness and/or has pro-red. It's also nice to be able to kill your own Snapcasters and get them back later with K-Command.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

I feel like if I fetch up Blood Crypt and Stomping Ground it's only narrowly worse, if equal, in the matchups I want Anger in than Overgrown Tomb followed by Blood Crypt. If I'm casting Anger of the Gods turn 3 or 4 against a Company deck (especially after disrupting a refill spell from their hand) or Dredge I'll probably feel OK? Maybe not?

Essentially I feel so mismatched against any multi-creature deck as DSJ that I'd rather shore up those matchups with more board hate than hedge against stuff like Tron with Fulminator Mages. I'd feel a ton better having 2 small creature wraths than the 2 Fulmis I run right now, really. And depending on the LGS I'd take out my 1-of Eidolon of Rhetoric for another Anger/Kozis, but I like that as a Traversable Storm hater.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Also basically everything you care about has 2 or less toughness and/or has pro-red. It's also nice to be able to kill your own Snapcasters and get them back later with K-Command.

By the pro-red/2 toughness logic, I'd almost rather run Flaying Tendrils. I want to be exiling Dredge creatures and don't run U for Snaps.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 5, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

ShaneB posted:

By the pro-red/2 toughness logic, I'd almost rather run Flaying Tendrils. I want to be exiling Dredge creatures and don't run U for Snaps.

I wouldn't run Tendrils because it isn't instant speed. If you're not running Snaps and you want the exile part of the sweeper then Anger is probably the best choice.

e:

That being said, a lot of Death's Shadow lists have been running Tendrils which I guess isn't the most terrible choice when you're trying to get around protection and want to be able to exile.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 5, 2017

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Star Man posted:

I wish Ichorid would get a reprint that was Modern-legal so that Dredge could play with Bridge from Below.

:coal:

Reprint Cabal Therapy as well.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Bugsy posted:

:same:

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

C-Euro posted:

Nissa looks like frank sidebottom.

E - stupid auto correct.

Dysgenesis fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 5, 2017

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Bugsy posted:

Maybe when we return to Dominaria. That'd be the most likely place it'd see a reprint due to ~flavor reason~

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bugsy posted:

I never understood why this isn't in modern. This seems like a very fair magic card. Sometimes it gets you a card, sometimes multiple, sometimes nothing at all. Seems super safe in standard where you won't even print loving duress.

Maybe I have a bias towards discard spells.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I feel like at this point they're never going to ban Marvel, just to spite Saffron Olive.