Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

kumba posted:

That and the general brocore "I'm gonna fight you, look how macho I am!! gently caress YOU IN THE EYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!" shtick gets old very, very quickly

I feel like that ruins 90% of the genre for you tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wamsutta posted:

I mean, it does

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Wamsutta posted:

Yeah but again if I can't understand the lyrics anyway I don't give a poo poo

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I've always found that it's more about how the vocal patterns go with the music than the actual lyrics for most of these songs anyway.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
converge are the masters of that

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Parachute posted:

AILD and Killswitch were/are masters of this also.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Parachute posted:

that's a weird way to spell Unearth

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Parachute posted:

agreeing, its converge and its not close

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Don't Converge also refuse to release their lyrics?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Genuinely curious what you guys find appealing about aggressive music that was born in some frustrated teenagers garage and played in lovely dark clubs where people went to skank and mosh and hit each other on purpose but find how fans react to it in a live setting abhorrent.

You listen to music where breakdowns are (mostly) front and center part of every single song structure. Do you understand what is typically done during breakdowns? Kids mosh. Kids hit each other. On purpose.

Anyway. loving whatever. Rings of Saturn released a new song/video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmu3zjmkJZ0

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Eidola released their third album a couple of days ago: https://eidolamusic.bandcamp.com/

Degeneraterra was probably my favourite album of 2015, and this one seems to be just as good after a couple of listens.

They aren't as heavy as most of the stuff in here, but this is the thread they belong in I think.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

ShoogaSlim posted:

Genuinely curious what you guys find appealing about aggressive music that was born in some frustrated teenagers garage and played in lovely dark clubs where people went to skank and mosh and hit each other on purpose but find how fans react to it in a live setting abhorrent.

You listen to music where breakdowns are (mostly) front and center part of every single song structure. Do you understand what is typically done during breakdowns? Kids mosh. Kids hit each other. On purpose.

I listen to music based on how it sounds. I hope that clears things up

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

realbez posted:

Eidola released their third album a couple of days ago: https://eidolamusic.bandcamp.com/

Degeneraterra was probably my favourite album of 2015, and this one seems to be just as good after a couple of listens.

They aren't as heavy as most of the stuff in here, but this is the thread they belong in I think.

Yeah, this is def the right thread for it. I'm listening to their latest now, and it seems pretty good so far! Thanks for the pro-click

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

loving lmao

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
kid
tape
mosh
scene

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I can't think of anywhere less appealing to spend time than a small dark club full of kids swinging their fists at people. If you're into it have at it. Gonna stick to playing music I like in my car and at the gym. It is SUPER weird to care a lot (and post angrily about) about what other people enjoy doing. Nobody can be such an obtuse rear end in a top hat as Shoog, I'm nearly certain we all just got trolled yet again. Dude has been playing this thread like a fiddle for like five loving years.

"Earn your stripes" loving lmao. Get that metalcore merit badge bruh.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
New Sikth is good but, understandably and predictably, not nearly as groundbreaking as Trees or DoaDD.

I enjoy it but each song feels like it doesnt have as much individuality as the earlier albums showed and Mikee's lyrics just aren't as good, even though, to some extent they've always been in the same vein. Maybe he's in a different place mentally that just doesn't lend itself well to what I was hoping for. The musicianship is still top notch and production is pretty solid.

Bass is still engaging. The drums are still far and beyond most other bands in the genre but I don't feel like they're really adding as much as they did on Dead Day. There's some really solid riffs but they all blend together ultimately.

Maybe I need more spins on it to come around.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

new Contortionist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJu3-qGap_k

Getting some serious Riverside vibes, which is a good thing in my book.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Dang. That bored me to tears. :( And I've really enjoyed their previous releases. Looking at the track list on Apple Music, I see that's the only song on the tape that's less than six minutes long. Here's hoping it's the radio friendly unit shifter and the rest is all proggy af

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Beelzebozo posted:

Dang. That bored me to tears. :( And I've really enjoyed their previous releases. Looking at the track list on Apple Music, I see that's the only song on the tape that's less than six minutes long. Here's hoping it's the radio friendly unit shifter and the rest is all proggy af

I doubt the whole album will be like that, but if it's in the right spot it could be a really good transition track. I definitely wouldn't like to see them lose the heavy aspect altogether, but I really like spacy prog-poppy stuff so I enjoy this track.

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017

Wamsutta posted:

"Earn your stripes" loving lmao. Get that metalcore merit badge bruh.

I guess someone has to man the gates, keep the fake fans out or some poo poo?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
but the best part of metalcore is the entire genre just feels really poseur-y/suburban and thats one of its charms imo

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I got around to listening to the new Within the Ruins album, and it's pretty good. I've ragged on them before for basically every album of theirs sounding the same, but this one has a lot of good riffs and held my attention. Some solid tunes on there.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I've been jamming the new Mutoid Man and it's loving awesome

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

kumba posted:

I am looking forward to seeing them tomorrow, but I should really listen to the whole album.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Between the Buried and Me are touring Colors again in the fall and all 3 dates I could make it to are sold out already :smithicide:

I've already seen them play it on the original tour but still

e: o god they're touring with Toothgrinder and The Contortionist again :smithicide::smithicide:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

kumba posted:

it's missing some of the chaotic element of the first two, but really benefits from it overall. Good as hell to me

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Kelp Me! posted:

Between the Buried and Me are touring Colors again in the fall and all 3 dates I could make it to are sold out already :smithicide:

I've already seen them play it on the original tour but still

e: o god they're touring with Toothgrinder and The Contortionist again :smithicide::smithicide:

toothgrinder is a really loving good live band.

they're honestly half the reason i wanted to buy tickets to the boston show but i missed them too so w/e

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Beelzebozo posted:

Here's hoping it's the radio friendly unit shifter and the rest is all proggy af
Yeah I'm feeling the same way. It's hard not to have high expectations after Language but if it's anything close I'll be happy.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Wamsutta posted:

I can't think of anywhere less appealing to spend time than a small dark club full of kids swinging their fists at people.

So then don't go to shows. I typed a long thing but gently caress it. I won't apologize for finding value in music beyond banging my head in my car. There's way more to it than that and it's frankly a little sad that you guys don't see that. Oh well.

New Contortionist is cool. I love the direction they've been going in.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i find value in music headbanging at shows, as well as in the car

i dont find value in music being physically assaulted

i hope that clears things up.

new Contortionist (the single, anyway) is indeed Cool And Good, so at least we agree on something

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

So then don't go to shows. I typed a long thing but gently caress it. I won't apologize for finding value in music beyond banging my head in my car. There's way more to it than that and it's frankly a little sad that you guys don't see that. Oh well.

And I'm happy you get that enjoyment out of it. It isn't for me but I'm happy it's for you. The difference is I am not telling people they didn't earn their stripes about listening to music LMAO I can't even finish this post, dude said earn your stripes lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

You see, hardcore kids dance like this, death metal kids dance like that

Seriously though it's really funny how your reaction is "well if you don't like it don't come to shows you poser" instead of a remotely reasonable stance like "well I like it and so do my friends who go to shows with me but I understand if it's not for everyone." I've seen fat assholes at metal shows punch people in the back of the head when they were already down on all fours. I've seen people deliberately stomp on a pair of glasses that got knocked off someone's head in the pit. That's bullshit behavior and if you seriously condone that I hope you get nailed in the face by a spiked bracelet at the next Terror show at Brooklyn Venue #658 That You've Never Heard Of, Pleb

Do you judge literally everyone else at the show who isn't in the pit too? Because odds are they're staying out because they don't want to get punched in the face. should they all stay home too?

kumba posted:

i find value in music headbanging at shows, as well as in the car

i dont find value in music being physically assaulted

i hope that clears things up.

new Contortionist (the single, anyway) is indeed Cool And Good, so at least we agree on something

I agree with this entire post

e:

ShoogaSlim posted:

I typed a long thing but gently caress it.

If it's anything like the last "earn your hardcore stripes" post I kind of want to see it, it's been a long day and I could use a laff

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 8, 2017

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Don't support live music that way

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
State of him man

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Kelp Me! posted:

I've seen fat assholes at metal shows punch people in the back of the head when they were already down on all fours. I've seen people deliberately stomp on a pair of glasses that got knocked off someone's head in the pit.

I do not condone this, and it sounds more like arrogant metalhead bullshit as opposed to hardcore kids doing aerial spin-kicks. For the record, I've been hurt pretty bad at shows, two of my friends have gotten their noses broken. One friend did get hit close to the eye with a spiked wrist. I've been on the giving and receiving ends of stage dives gone wrong. It's a release and all in good fun, but there are definitely people who go to shows deliberately to hurt others, and no matter who you are, that poo poo sucks.

"Earn your stripes" is probably one of the douchiest things I've ever said but it's just shorthand for "I've been going to shows for loving ever and I understand the culture pretty well so I consider myself to have decent ability to discern what's acceptable and what could be shocking/unacceptable to those who only like to headbang in their car and then go to a show and get bummed that people are hitting each other."

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aye, still. Check the nick of ye.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think anyone here has said they give a poo poo about what other people do to each other as long as they're okay with it

I just don't personally want anything to do with it, and to take that as an affront to the music and to go so far as to imply that I can't find value in the music without being a part of it is totally wrong and completely hilarious

e: for actual content, new Volumes out today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s594xwW09g

Parachute
May 18, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

"Earn your stripes" is probably one of the douchiest things I've ever said but it's just shorthand for "I've been going to shows for loving ever and I understand the culture pretty well so I consider myself to have decent ability to discern what's acceptable and what could be shocking/unacceptable to those who only like to headbang in their car and then go to a show and get bummed that people are hitting each other."

lmao watch out, tough scene guy is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGGGh03jN4w

this is your theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

kumba posted:

e: for actual content, new Volumes out today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s594xwW09g

this album kinda sucks tbh

what is up with hip hop awkwardly shoehorned into core? this and the OTB record both had it and it's, uh, not great

e: and this is coming from someone who really liked the last Enter Shikari album

kumba fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 9, 2017