Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Among all the funeral services the press has been printing today over various careers, Marchisio's is particularly strange. Do you guys think he's willing to be a squad player for much longer? I know he's Juve through and through which is why I think it'll be a serious career decision if he does decide to move and would be difficult, but I can't see him overtaking any of Juve's midfielders in the order unless he really gets back on it over the summer.

e: I take that back - I still don't understand how Khedira is in the starting lineup. He's about a quarter of the player he was when he was hot poo poo and I never thought he was worth the hype then either. Certainly a capable player but not enough to be starting for a CL finalist ffs.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Among all the funeral services the press has been printing today over various careers, Marchisio's is particularly strange. Do you guys think he's willing to be a squad player for much longer? I know he's Juve through and through which is why I think it'll be a serious career decision if he does decide to move and would be difficult, but I can't see him overtaking any of Juve's midfielders in the order unless he really gets back on it over the summer.

e: I take that back - I still don't understand how Khedira is in the starting lineup. He's about a quarter of the player he was when he was hot poo poo and I never thought he was worth the hype then either. Certainly a capable player but not enough to be starting for a CL finalist ffs.

After I typed all this up I realized it's a pretty caremad post, so apologies for the :qq:

Yeah, I don't think Khedira was as good this season as he was last season. I don't know if he's just more suited to the 3-5-2 than the 4-2-3-1, or maybe he was just better playing alongside Pogba and pre-injury Marchisio - when Khedira was truly good with Juve it felt like he was getting forward a lot more. When he's alongside Pjanic in a deeper role he's just sort of...out there as an outlet for when Pjanic or Sandro get caught in possession. But I dunno, he had the exact same number of goals and assists as last year, so what the gently caress do I know.

Juve's midfield were completely outclassed AND outmuscled in the 2nd half yesterday, it was staggering really. I think they really need an upgrade over Khedira/Marchisio/Rincon/etc. to pair with Pjanic, and I think it needs to be someone that offers a lot more defensively than any of them can provide. For Rincon's reputation coming in, he really didn't do much for Juve other than fill space and act as a sideways passing holding midfielder. Watching Casemiro yesterday really put it in neon lights how much Juve miss having the type of presence that Vidal or Pogba (to a lesser respect) offered in terms of physicality and tackling, while also having true quality. I can't even think of a player that comes to mind as a potential transfer target, but it'd probably be someone that would cost a lot of money.

I suspect Marchisio will never be the player he was before the injury, given his age and what we've seen from him since the return. I'd like it if he stayed around as a role player, but I would understand if he moved on. I don't think he'll be first choice again though. He sometimes looks the same player when he's on the ball, but the speed and toughness he always had in the past seem to be gone. I'm sure it would be a tough decision for him to make if he did decide to leave. And there will be a place for him in the front office or coaching setup after he retires, if he is interested.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

It's not Serie A, but I'm in Parma right now and they've just won their quarterfinal in the Lega Pro play-off and it's quite heartwarming :3:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I tried to watch the Carpi - Benevento match, but I couldn't find a working stream, and it ended up being 0 - 0 anyways :effort:

Apropos of nothing, this really amuses me

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

We follow Lega Pro and Serie B too.

Livorno and Lecce lost their qfs, so I'm fully on the Parma to B bandwagon now.

Carpi and Benevento drew 0-0 at Carpi, it's all up for grabs on Thursday

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

Apropos of nothing, this really amuses me

I wish Gigio was patting Insigne ok the head like in the Bendtner - Giovinco pic.

Also would like to see Parma in B, especially because it would mean Vicenza wouldn't have to deal with them or Venezia next year and bounce right back up.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
People on Twitter are saying that this was Keita and Patric coming out 🤔
https://twitter.com/patric_6/status/871405757014691841

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
This certainly is an interesting contemporary twist on handing in a transfer request/announcing early retirement.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I keep thinking his name is Blade, like the vampire killer dude.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/patric_6/status/871651382859890689

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Only just realized that Serie B winners SPAL 2013 are from Ferrara, which is basically my favorite city in Italy. Will be cheering them on!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Fiorentina officially signed Vitor Hugo from Palmeiras (defender, 8m fee I think). Hoping it's more of a Hunchback of Notre-Dame signing and less of a Les Miserables one.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
thank u Brazzers
https://twitter.com/Brazzers/status/871105516549832706

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

lol

The Italian U-20 team made the semi finals of the U20 world cup this morning, defeating Zambia (who defeated Germany) 3-2 in extra time after playing man down (and a goal down) for more than half the game. The straight red was the result of a VAR call, which was a little bizarre. The ref had signaled for a penalty on a foul that occurred outside the area, but wasn't really a foul to begin with. After review, the penalty was rescinded, but a red card was issued to the Italian defender for a DOGSO.

In any case, Orsolini is coming up big, apparently Zaccagno, the keeper, is doing well too.

They'll play England on Thursday; England defeated Mexico 1-0 earlier, and also had a man sent off but they were already up.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

canepazzo posted:

Fiorentina officially signed Vitor Hugo from Palmeiras (defender, 8m fee I think). Hoping it's more of a Hunchback of Notre-Dame signing and less of a Les Miserables one.

I saw this earlier but didn't say anything, was trying to find out a little more about the player. Any news? Supposedly he is supposed to mesh really well with Astori.

Also I never saw miserable lesbians. I don't get hat reference :(

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Soulex posted:

Also I never saw miserable lesbians. I don't get hat reference :(

:allears:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

lmao

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Serie A 2017/18: I never saw miserable lesbians

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

Serie A 2017/18: I never saw miserable lesbians

It's a shame Nasri never played in Italy

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that that was not a soulex maneuver and was intentional

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

It's a shame Nasri never played in Italy

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that that was not a soulex maneuver and was intentional

You're right. Joke shamelessly stolen from Workaholics. Called it that ever since.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Both Pioli to Fiorentina and Spalletti to Inter are done deals today.

Fiorentina seems to be starting early enough this year on manager / purchases, at least it's a good sign.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Surprising absolutely no one, Zamparini's sale of Palermo to that tattoed dude was all kind of shady and being investigated. Including being in the red by about 120 million euros.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

canepazzo posted:

Surprising absolutely no one, Zamparini's sale of Palermo to that tattoed dude was all kind of shady and being investigated. Including being in the red by about 120 million euros.

I'm surprised it's that little. They'll be in Serie D by this time next month.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gigi Galli posted:

I'm surprised it's that little. They'll be in Serie D by this time next month.

Woohoo the boys in pink can beat up serie D teams, or, more likely, fail and fold and I'll have to find a new team to spuport.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Our good man Seltzer made a thread about calcio storico over in the MMA/rasslin' forum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822901

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Troy Queef posted:

Our good man Seltzer made a thread about calcio storico over in the MMA/rasslin' forum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822901

Oh helllll yea. I was gonna plug that in here in a bit but I was going to do a mini effort post below the op first. I read a book from the 70s about Calcio Storico written by some of the people who helped revive it and there are some neat tidbits and pictures from that book. Former popes have played Calcio Storico!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Seltzer posted:

Oh helllll yea. I was gonna plug that in here in a bit but I was going to do a mini effort post below the op first. I read a book from the 70s about Calcio Storico written by some of the people who helped revive it and there are some neat tidbits and pictures from that book. Former popes have played Calcio Storico!

What's the name of the book? I did a college presentation in Italian on this. Learned a lot. Best sport ever.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Soulex posted:

What's the name of the book? I did a college presentation in Italian on this. Learned a lot. Best sport ever.

"Early Florence and the Historic Game of Calcio" published 1972. It's the only book written about Calcio in English to my knowledge. The writing is a bit amateurish but it's still entertaining. Though only about 1/4th the book is about Calcio. The rest talks about historic Venice around the time when the games were first played. It describes other city festivities the government and guild power structures etc. It relates back to Calcio because a lot of the pageantry at the beginning of the games (that people can't wait to end lol) uses symbols that represent the guilds, wards, government offices etc. The book has cool pictures and is written iirc by a guy who helped salvage the game in a way (in it's early modern reintroduction a flood or storm(?) ruined a lot of the gear and costumes and the author helped research the old game and replace what was lost.)

There is a much more recently published book but it's in Italian. I was going to get it but I waited and it went out of stock on amazon. It's available from European sellers for a high price. I don't know Italian but my knowledge of Spanish allows me to read bits of it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New Juventus kit, with new logo:

https://twitter.com/juventusfc/status/872363218345308161

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's alright, even with the lovely logo

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The logo brings it all down. :argh:

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
That logo is a joke. Much like the club.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
At least they didn't screw up the stripes this time. I like it.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/juventusfcen/status/872434751822589952
Cool

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

If he held that hand any higher he'd be managing Lazio.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Healbot posted:

lmao

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Healbot posted:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Healbot posted:

Heeeeeeyyyyyyy lmao

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Healbot posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Kean getting his Italy audition underway in the Primavera semi finals:

https://twitter.com/popolorossoner/status/872530608911773698

Juve got knocked out with that.

• Locked thread