Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

We snapped a bunch of them in the span of about 3 games and we don't usually break a stick between all of us in 7-8 games.

Maybe a bad batch or quality improved but it was uncanny. No one has a single one left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
I saw this from the bench a few fridays ago, and its just as entertaining here as it was then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMMuOdiqkxw

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

EvilTwig posted:

I saw this from the bench a few fridays ago, and its just as entertaining here as it was then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMMuOdiqkxw

This was an emotional roller coaster.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah it feels like they're a little less... girthy. The rounded edges depend on the brand. Eastons are a bit more round than Bauer.

I liked the intermediates because I didn't have to cut them at all. If I got a senior, I'd have to cut it 4-5 inches.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I noticed on a few intermediates that the blades were slightly smaller, nothing like junior sticks but not 100% full size with the same brand/pattern of the senior version.

Might have just been a fluke but thats why I aim for senior sticks. Also the availability.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My intermediate stick is the exact same size as my senior fischer, only difference is the flex.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

10:40 puck drops on a Sunday can gently caress off forever.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

10:40 puck drops on a Sunday can gently caress off forever.

Had a 10:40 (after the zamboni'ing) tonight as well. :hfive:

Also nothing like finding out that you just played against a couple division 4 people playing down on a :airquote: Divising 6c :airquote: squad against your very much division 7 team. So, yeah, needless to say we got our doors blown off, reattached, then blown back off during the course of one game.

Ehh, I scored on em though so gently caress em: Moral Victory for us.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Its still seeding rounds so I imagine thats likely the culprit although 4-6/7 seems like a big gap.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

A guy got a game misconduct and a suspension last night for calling the ref a cocksucker after a goalie interference call. The team then went on to blow a 4-1 lead in the first to lose 6-5.

C league is apparently the thunderdome.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

Its still seeding rounds so I imagine thats likely the culprit although 4-6/7 seems like a big gap.

The league director is dumb, though. In Fall/Winter, we signed up for 3C, got bumped to 3B, went 16-4-2 during the season w/a 5.36 GFA and 2.8 GAA and then won the 3B title. We then tied a Div 2 team during the seeding so we were repaid by being given a game in Everett against a Div 4 team.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Vargatron posted:

A guy got a game misconduct and a suspension last night for calling the ref a cocksucker.

I hope you're not surprised. Also, keep note of how often that strategy works out for you and report on your findings.

#StripeLivesMatter

Bradf0rd posted:

The league director is dumb, though. In Fall/Winter, we signed up for 3C, got bumped to 3B, went 16-4-2 during the season w/a 5.36 GFA and 2.8 GAA and then won the 3B title. We then tied a Div 2 team during the seeding so we were repaid by being given a game in Everett against a Div 4 team.

This is also true.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Oh the outcome didn't surprise me, it's that the idiot actually called the ref that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
AH. Im stupid, I read that as "I GOT A GAME ... " didn't realize it was someone else. My mistake.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Just got back from my first Rat Hockey game.

As we skated around pre-game, I tried to introduce myself to as many people as possible, mostly as a way to let them know I'm a complete newbie. Once the game started, I was glad that I chose to wear my black jersey instead of my white, because it was clear that the best two players were on my team. One was a defenseman who could pretty much score at will. The other was a forward who I'd recognized already because he showed up to one of my lessons a few weeks ago, mostly just to say hi to the coach since he didn't really need to do the drills. Apparently he was a former minor-leaguer until he got injured.

The game was pretty relaxed the whole way through. Even on breakaways, I never felt like I was too slow. As long as we were moving in a straight line, I could keep up. The first hour was pretty uneventful for me. I just tried to stay onside and park myself in front of the goalie on offense. I got an assist when the puck bounced off the goalie and I passed it to my teammate on the open side of the net for an easy score. When I was playing defense, people could just freely skate around me for the most part, but there were a couple times I blocked shots with either my stick or my kneepads, the best time being when I broke up an opposing 3 on 2 and made a good pass out of the zone to my teammate.

Eventually the two ringers on my team tried really hard to get me a goal. They'd take the puck into the zone and it'd always find my stick. I got 5 or 6 shots off with some good zip, all except for one were on net, but the goalie blocked all of them, mostly with his shoulders and once with his glove. One of those shots was a backhander, probably the first backhander I've ever actually gotten good lift out of.

With about 10 minutes left and both ringers on the bench, my teammate and I got a 2 on 1. He brought the puck into the zone from the left side and I crashed the net from the right. He passed it directly to my stick, the goalie dove across to try to block me, but I top-shelfed it way over his glove and into the top right corner of the net for my first ever goal. When I looked back at the bench, the two ringers were whooping and hollering like crazy. It felt really good. :unsmith:

I went back to the bench to shift out and they told me to grab the puck and keep it. So now I have a nice souvenir.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

As we skated around pre-game, I tried to introduce myself to as many people as possible, mostly as a way to let them know I'm a complete newbie. Once the game started, I was glad that I chose to wear my black jersey instead of my white, because it was clear that the best two players were on my team. One was a defenseman who could pretty much score at will. The other was a forward who I'd recognized already because he showed up to one of my lessons a few weeks ago, mostly just to say hi to the coach since he didn't really need to do the drills. Apparently he was a former minor-leaguer until he got injured.

The game was pretty relaxed the whole way through. Even on breakaways, I never felt like I was too slow. As long as we were moving in a straight line, I could keep up. The first hour was pretty uneventful for me. I just tried to stay onside and park myself in front of the goalie on offense. I got an assist when the puck bounced off the goalie and I passed it to my teammate on the open side of the net for an easy score. When I was playing defense, people could just freely skate around me for the most part, but there were a couple times I blocked shots with either my stick or my kneepads, the best time being when I broke up an opposing 3 on 2 and made a good pass out of the zone to my teammate.

Eventually the two ringers on my team tried really hard to get me a goal. They'd take the puck into the zone and it'd always find my stick. I got 5 or 6 shots off with some good zip, all except for one were on net, but the goalie blocked all of them, mostly with his shoulders and once with his glove. One of those shots was a backhander, probably the first backhander I've ever actually gotten good lift out of.

With about 10 minutes left and both ringers on the bench, my teammate and I got a 2 on 1. He brought the puck into the zone from the left side and I crashed the net from the right. He passed it directly to my stick, the goalie dove across to try to block me, but I top-shelfed it way over his glove and into the top right corner of the net for my first ever goal. When I looked back at the bench, the two ringers were whooping and hollering like crazy. It felt really good. :unsmith:

I went back to the bench to shift out and they told me to grab the puck and keep it. So now I have a nice souvenir.

No bullshit, the better players are the cooler they are.

Congrats dude!

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
That's really awesome! Hockey is amazing so fully expect to never want to stop playing now that you've had a taste of a game.

We played a really solid game last night and won 3-0 and now I'm sitting at work all day counting down until my next game...next Sunday. :smith:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Thats awesome man. Congrats!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i gave my puck to some girl in hs

was totally worth it at the time

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Thanks, everyone. :unsmith:

I'll definitely be doing Rat Hockey every week from now on and playing with a bunch of experienced players made me realize what I need to work on the most, which is being able to seamlessly go from forward to backward and vice versa. When I transition from forward to backward, I've been doing toe pivots, where I basically just do a 180 on 1 foot, but everyone I saw on the ice was doing mohawk pivots. I naturally do mohawk pivots already going backwards to forwards, but they never felt right going forward to backward. I think during the next open skate I'm going to spend a lot of time working on forward-to-backward mohawk transitions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on the miserable performance of my beer league team, I'd say the actual most important thing to learn is passing when under pressure. Hot potato hockey equals a loss.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Make sure you work on your hip flexibility when learning mohawks.

God, I recall during a clinic at Johnnies in Chicago. We were practicing transitions, specifically skating forward transitioning to skating backwards. One of the guys was a great skater but hadn't skated in a long while, and had mentioned he was a little rusty. We were specifically working on mohawks and I could see he was having trouble with the flexibility aspect of opening up his hips. He had a poo poo ton of speed going into the transition, he went into the mohawk position and he sort of got stuck in the open hip position and his edges caught, he circled out super fast on his back edges and went flying backwards. It was one of the most spectacular flails I've ever seen. He did a half backflip, lawn-chaired himself, and slid into the boards laughing. In the same clinic, we were practicing drop passes behind a cone. I was the lead man with the puck and the guy skating at me was supposed to go behind but instead thought he had to skate in front. We collided incredibly hard.

I need to do another clinic.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Awesome first game and first goal story. Glad those guys were real cool.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

xzzy posted:

Based on the miserable performance of my beer league team, I'd say the actual most important thing to learn is passing when under pressure. Hot potato hockey equals a loss.

Passing, and receiving a pass, are without a doubt the thing beer leaguers need to work on the most. Playing a team that can out-pass you is loving devastating.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

sellouts posted:

i gave my puck to some girl in hs

was totally worth it at the time

Ha, sucker. I kept my first goal puck from high school but gave a girl a game puck from later in the season. Totally worth it at the time and probably the same reaction as if I gave her the goal puck. "Oh. Cool."

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Are there any hockey goons in here in the Waltham, MA area? I just moved there and I'm looking for pickup games.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Dudeabides posted:

Are there any hockey goons in here in the Waltham, MA area? I just moved there and I'm looking for pickup games.

Try Stinky Socks Hockey. I live in Plymouth and usually play with a group of guys I grew up with and played with forever on the Cape but during down times I get games on there. You just find a rink near you, find a skill level and sign up. You can pay with debit card right online, sign an electronic waiver and they email you a couple hours before game time and tell you if you're on light or dark. It's super easy that's why I like it. Its $22 per game which is a little high for pickup but there is a ref and faceoffs which is kind of cool for a pickup.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Went back to square one today, since I'm learning a better way to go from forwards to backwards. I basically hugged the wall and did this for a half hour.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm a big scaredy-cat and it's impeding my ability to make progress as quickly as I'd like. I never played hockey as a kid, so I never had the fear of falling trained out of me. :(

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I always found back to front transitions easier than front to back.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Went back to square one today, since I'm learning a better way to go from forwards to backwards. I basically hugged the wall and did this for a half hour.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm a big scaredy-cat and it's impeding my ability to make progress as quickly as I'd like. I never played hockey as a kid, so I never had the fear of falling trained out of me. :(

Are you skating in pads at all? It shouldn't really hurt to fall usually with gear on. Even though you'll look like a weirdo it might be worth wearing pads to the public skate, so you can push yourself a bit more.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thufir posted:

Are you skating in pads at all? It shouldn't really hurt to fall usually with gear on. Even though you'll look like a weirdo it might be worth wearing pads to the public skate, so you can push yourself a bit more.

Yes this is very true. I've shown up to public skate in full players kit and half goalie kit in separate occasions to work on things. It's also a great time to work on general skating ability without worrying about pucks getting fired at you.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Woof, last night was bad.

Couple guys coming up the boards fighting for the puck. Ref was up against the boards and couldn't get out of the way in time. All 3 run into each other. Pretty much a combination of incidental contact and bad luck. One of the players falls, takes the refs legs out. His legs fly up in the air and he lands on his head. Ref stays down, other ref blows it dead. Totally looks like the ref landed on his head and is pretty badly concussed. Turns out, one of the players skates ended up getting him across the wrist. Huge pool of blood on the ice already and he's still bleeding a lot. Turns out the cut went to the bone and sliced all his tendons. Luckily we have a couple firefighter paramedics on our team, so they get the bleeding stopped. Takes about 15 mins for 911 to show up. After they work on him for 30 mins, they stretcher him off the ice. Took the rink crew like 15 minutes to scrape the blood off.

Not a good night. Glad we had a couple fire paramedics on our team though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vargatron posted:

Everyone does, because moving forward (and getting into a position to move forward) is something we've been doing our whole life and there's a lot more muscle memory to rely on.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

One similar drill I've had coaches run on the 40+ never-ever crowd is similar to this, but done in open ice and really seemed to help a lot of people. Get in a low position with both skates parallel, squat even lower, and lift one foot, turn it 180 degrees, and place it behind the other skate like you're doing a mohawk. Hold that for a few seconds then bring the second foot around to complete the transition. It'll start to get easy fast, but do it for a few minutes.

Then once you think you got it, do the exact same thing while moving slowly. Just keep in mind that it's three distinct motions.. flip a foot and put it behind you, glide briefly, lift the second foot and finish the transition.

As you get faster that middle glide will start to disappear and it turns into a clean (and most importantly, silent) hop from one foot to the other. Ice scraping noise means you're losing speed, so being quiet means you're getting faster.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Woof, last night was bad.

Couple guys coming up the boards fighting for the puck. Ref was up against the boards and couldn't get out of the way in time. All 3 run into each other. Pretty much a combination of incidental contact and bad luck. One of the players falls, takes the refs legs out. His legs fly up in the air and he lands on his head. Ref stays down, other ref blows it dead. Totally looks like the ref landed on his head and is pretty badly concussed. Turns out, one of the players skates ended up getting him across the wrist. Huge pool of blood on the ice already and he's still bleeding a lot. Turns out the cut went to the bone and sliced all his tendons. Luckily we have a couple firefighter paramedics on our team, so they get the bleeding stopped. Takes about 15 mins for 911 to show up. After they work on him for 30 mins, they stretcher him off the ice. Took the rink crew like 15 minutes to scrape the blood off.

:stare:

Thunderdome is satisfied with the blood sacrifice

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Vargatron posted:

Yeah it's the same with me. Backwards to forwards I've done the proper way naturally since I started. It's a lot easier to go from less comfortable position to a more comfortable position than the other way around.

Thufir posted:

I wear full gear minus cup and shoulderpads to free skate. I've fallen countless times and never gotten worse than a sore shoulder or butt the next day. But I still can't shake the fear of falling when I'm learning something new. I think I hate the feeling of being off-balance and that split second when you know you're going to fall more than the actual impact itself.

xzzy posted:

One similar drill I've had coaches run on the 40+ never-ever crowd is similar to this, but done in open ice and really seemed to help a lot of people. Get in a low position with both skates parallel, squat even lower, and lift one foot, turn it 180 degrees, and place it behind the other skate like you're doing a mohawk. Hold that for a few seconds then bring the second foot around to complete the transition. It'll start to get easy fast, but do it for a few minutes.

Then once you think you got it, do the exact same thing while moving slowly. Just keep in mind that it's three distinct motions.. flip a foot and put it behind you, glide briefly, lift the second foot and finish the transition.

As you get faster that middle glide will start to disappear and it turns into a clean (and most importantly, silent) hop from one foot to the other. Ice scraping noise means you're losing speed, so being quiet means you're getting faster.

I will definitely try this on Thursday during my next free skate. Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Holy poo poo. IIRC when Clint Malarchuk had his infamous injury, one of the medical staff was a Vietnam combat medic, knew exactly what happened, and was able to pinch off his jugular and hold it until he got to the ambulance. At my rink a few weeks ago, someone called 9-1-1 because they couldn't get their heartrate down. It fortunately only took them 3 minutes to arrive.

In better-than-expected news, it turns out they will have adults-only free skate during the Summer, but only once per week instead of twice and it's combined hockey and figure skaters now instead of each having their own separate times. Better than nothing, I guess. :shrug:

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 6, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I signed up for the adult skills and drills clinic at the rink and I'm evidently the only goalie. In fact they don't even have a goalie specific plan but there will be some sort of goalie coach there.

Or I could just be taking shots for 6 weeks, either way is fine.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Yeah with gear on there should be no reason at all to be scared to fall on ice. I always forget how much is sucks to fall on ice until I catch a lovely piece of ice while pond skating or something while wearing no gear. It really makes you think about how tough figure skaters actually are despite the stigma of how wussy figure skating is. In high school we had one practice a week after a figure skating group and this one girl about my age had been practicing some sort of jump, not sure if was an axle or what. Anyway I don't think this girl landed one the entire year. Jump, fall, get up, try again. Over and over and over again. I would have probably quit after taking one of those on the hip or the knee and she just kept going. I don't think I've ever been hurt by strictly impacting the ice any time I've been wearing gear.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Falling on your rear end can be pretty bad, even in pants. Unless you bought a quality pair of pants that puts a giant pillow under your tailbone.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

This particular team has a squad in 4, 5, 6 & 7 and they just throw people around all willy nilly and don't give a poo poo. When we get seeded out we'll see how it goes this summer but I'm not holding my breath. So instead of that team ever being, god forbid, down a person or two, they'll just steal from the higher division and wreck all the lower teams. They won our division last season from a combo of being able to play the worst team in the league (who never got one win and completely folded this season) 40% more than every other team in the division because

Bradf0rd posted:

The league director is dumb
and from pulling way high div dudes in the playoffs and squatting them on D.

Long story short, we need to git gud cause

doctor 7 posted:

Passing, and receiving a pass, are without a doubt the thing beer leaguers need to work on the most. Playing a team that can out-pass you is loving devastating.
this is us to a terrible, terrible level. The teams that can actually pass are our kryptonite cause our zone exits suck and we can't train a couple of our older D to stop panic passing as soon as they get possession behind/around the net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

This particular team has a squad in 4, 5, 6 & 7 and they just throw people around all willy nilly and don't give a poo poo.

Monarchs?