Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Theris posted:

Texas, maybe? IMO the other tracks it might work at (Phoenix, Loudon if it happens)

Phoenix lost its roval when it was "reprofiled". Parts of the curbing are still there in the infield but the permanent pit wall is extended to block off the turn into the infield, the wall on the inside of the dogleg sure looks permanent, and there's fencing everywhere that is used to split up various paddock / pit areas. All of that will disappear anyway with the total renovation of the track over the next few years.

While I prefer the older single-banking Phoenix, the infield road course was pretty poo poo. The old road course might've actually been decent, though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There's something about the mutant "Oval with a road course that extends a good portion out of it" setup that i like.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iospace posted:

There's something about the mutant "Oval with a road course that extends a good portion out of it" setup that i like.

The oval with an inside/outside road course isn't too different than a modern road course with a stadium section. It's a purpose-built for-the-fans section where you get to see them come and go in an arena setting. Imagine the baseball stadium section at the Mexican GP, just a little bigger and wrapped around an oval instead of a road course. (Which it actually is now that I think about it.)

I like leaky rovals in general because they were probably designed by the kind of people who didn't stay within the lines in the coloring books they drew in as a kid.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's a few short tracks that are building those leaky road courses and they almost always kick rear end. Homestead's roval is in the top tier of rovals as well. That, Daytona and New Hampshire are basically the holy trinity.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

iospace posted:

Looking at Homestead's roval, it's actually... a road course and not something like "lolkansasroval".

There was a short time where it was the only FIA grade 1 circuit in the US (before the oval was reprofiled and before the Indy road course was built)

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Daytona's road course is actually really lovely from a technical standpoint. It's legendary from a racing point of view but with how much infield there is to work with the Daytona road course could have been a lot more than just a couple of horseshoes bolted together with a links to the turn 1 area of the oval.

If I could design a roval from scratch, I'd have it so the "backstraight" is somewhere in the infield, and the oval's backstraight and infield runoff would be used for more interesting features, like a heavy braking chicane or passing zone. Part of the reason why New Hampshire's layout is so good is because it doesn't use the full length of the oval backstraight as-is, it just uses it to set up other features of the track.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
The Homestead roval is butt. All rovals are butt.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Lord Crapulus posted:

All rovals are butt.

Indy's isn't bad, I mean it used to be poo poo back in the F1 USGP days but with the redesign it's decent.

WindyMan posted:

Daytona's road course is actually really lovely from a technical standpoint. It's legendary from a racing point of view but with how much infield there is to work with the Daytona road course could have been a lot more than just a couple of horseshoes bolted together with a links to the turn 1 area of the oval

Agreed that Daytona's roval is bland as hell

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

KingShibby posted:

Agreed that Daytona's roval is bland as hell

The general layout of Daytona's road course is pretty much the same as Charlotte's roval pre-NASCARcrapification. Turn left into the infield, clockwise loop, turn left back onto the oval, repeat.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think Daytona and IMS are the only two rovals I look at and go "Okay. cool"

I do like the GP event quite a bit. It's fun to attend, and has much more of a relaxed environment to it. It's different than the "500" and in a good way. I wish IMSA/WEC would have a weekend there (realistic dream). My unrealistic dream is that we get an F1 race back, but that's not as likely to happen.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

I do like the GP event quite a bit. It's fun to attend, and has much more of a relaxed environment to it. It's different than the "500" and in a good way. I wish IMSA/WEC would have a weekend there (realistic dream). My unrealistic dream is that we get an F1 race back, but that's not as likely to happen.

Yeah the Indy GP is great as I've already written about. The first year after the IMSA/GrandAm merger had them racing at IMS because it was on the GrandAm calendar, but that only happened that first year. I often wonder what happened with that race :iiam:
Probably the NASCAR overlords put a stop to it

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

KingShibby posted:

Yeah the Indy GP is great as I've already written about. The first year after the IMSA/GrandAm merger had them racing at IMS because it was on the GrandAm calendar, but that only happened that first year. I often wonder what happened with that race :iiam:
Probably the NASCAR overlords put a stop to it

I think the "super weekend at the brickyard" is a good idea in theory. Though again, I'd argue it's probably better to give IMSA/WEC it's own weekend.

The Brickyard 400 event could really be made great if NASCAR got out of it's own way. Abandoning IRP I think really hurt a lot of momentum for that weekend. Not to mention save for Ryan newman and Stenouse? none of those guys have that "Indiana short track" connection like they did back in the day. They need to find a way to get more "Hometown hero" types in the race.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Apart from Carpenter and Daly, how many are from Indianapolis again?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Make the Brickyard 400 weekend great again by not racing stock cars at Indianapolis

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Apart from Carpenter and Daly, how many are from Indianapolis again?

The one thing I've noticed going to IndyCar races/Indy 500's is that there is some sort of unspoken (yet "known") rivalry between NASCAR and USAC/IRL/CART/ICS. . A lot of passive aggressive comments are thrown around about Cup, and it's kind of amusing to witness.

I can't quite explain it, but it's something that has existed since the 50's at least. Bobby Unser for example talks about 'scaring" I believe David Pearson along with Parnelli Jones at Pikes Peak. I guess Parnelli did the same thing,.to an Indy driver (I think Joe Leonard) and Bobby told him to not do that to "one of our guys".

So for Indiana fans I guess they really are quick to adopt a certain driver if they've ever driven or are driving at one of their tracks. Tony Kanaan would be the ultimate example of this. A guy from brazil, a "furriner", yet, people in Indiana love him, want to buy his merch and cheer like there's no tomorrow when he takes the lead at Indy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

The one thing I've noticed going to IndyCar races/Indy 500's is that there is some sort of unspoken (yet "known") rivalry between NASCAR and USAC/IRL/CART/ICS. . A lot of passive aggressive comments are thrown around about Cup, and it's kind of amusing to witness.

I can't quite explain it, but it's something that has existed since the 50's at least. Bobby Unser for example talks about 'scaring" I believe David Pearson along with Parnelli Jones at Pikes Peak. I guess Parnelli did the same thing,.to an Indy driver (I think Joe Leonard) and Bobby told him to not do that to "one of our guys".

So for Indiana fans I guess they really are quick to adopt a certain driver if they've ever driven or are driving at one of their tracks. Tony Kanaan would be the ultimate example of this. A guy from brazil, a "furriner", yet, people in Indiana love him, want to buy his merch and cheer like there's no tomorrow when he takes the lead at Indy.

I think with how open Indy is to the fans has a LOT to do with it. It feels Indy is all, "We know you're loyal, and we will reward your loyalty", and a love of cars that go fast is definitely a universal thing.

For example:

devmd01 posted:

I'm at IMS on the turn 2 mound, they just canceled today's test, immediately two SUVs with drivers come up to sign autographs for the crowd.

Oh, and when testing at Gateway was delayed earlier this year...

Bentai posted:

At least they know how to keep the fans happy in the meantime.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

IndyCar is good and cool and I hope my favorite Driver Fernando Alonso leaves the oppressive atmosphere of F1 so he can be happy and win races in it

God bless

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

IndyCar is good and cool and I hope my favorite Driver Fernando Alonso leaves the oppressive atmosphere of F1 so he can be happy and win races in it

God bless

He'll only win in Chevy powered cars. He's absolutely cursed when it comes to anything Honda.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Honda is loving cursed and I'm going to be sad to see Jenson Button's Anime GT Honda NSX break down.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A NSX managed to Legge out a victory at Belle Isle this weekend.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Scott Goodyear would be better as a driver analyst on NASCAR America

....using all the stockcar experience from two IROC starts?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Eh.

I mean "NASCAR AMERICA" is their RPM 2 night correct? They do occasionally do F1 and IndyCar stuff. Kinda what I mean't.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I guess if Parker Kligerman can talk about Indycars, Goodyear can talk about stockcars.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I mean he talks about how great winning the Indy 500 is like it's happened to him, so he's good at pretending to be in the know

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

Spaced God posted:

I mean he talks about how great winning the Indy 500 is like it's happened to him, so he's good at pretending to be in the know

:iceburn:

(one of my favorite early racing memories is of him losing in 1992)

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/871830542995660800
The Gut was unable to obtain a rookie test date for Texas, so he's being swapped for this race. DCR's twitter confirmed the series has a "testing blackout" right now due to back to back events. So maybe he will get some oval testing in the coming weeks, and will be seated for the remaining ovals.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 5, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He still thinks he won the '95 500 no doubt.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lots of people liked Tracy, EVERYONE loved Greg Moore (even before he died), and Carpentier and Tags were also well liked - but I've never heard anyone say anything positive about Scott Goodyear.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bentai posted:

The Gut was unable to obtain a rookie test date for Texas, so he's being swapped for this race. DCR's twitter confirmed the series has a "testing blackout" right now due to back to back events. So maybe he will get some oval testing in the coming weeks, and will be seated for the remaining ovals.

I think he honestly has some promise. Thrown into a brand new car, little training, and improves a few spots in race #2.

Now watch me be wrong and he turns into the most mediocre midfielder you've ever seen.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Human Grand Prix posted:

I've never heard anyone say anything positive about Scott Goodyear.

He ran well at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. That's a positive thing?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Unfortunately, not enough to stop him from running his mouth.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

iospace posted:

Unfortunately, not enough to stop him from running his mouth.

You think he'd be less of a blabbermouth if he won the race? Maybe we're lucky.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

iospace posted:

I think he honestly has some promise. Thrown into a brand new car, little training, and improves a few spots in race #2.

Now watch me be wrong and he turns into the most mediocre midfielder you've ever seen.
Yeah I'm hoping he improves. I don't expect him to become the next big thing, but it would be nice if by the end of the season he's improved enough to be fighting for top 5/10 finishes, and then DCR can start having hallucinations about being a 3 car team in 2018.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't want to be a debbie downer but Guttierez really sucks guys.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

You think he'd be less of a blabbermouth if he won the race? Maybe we're lucky.

The tradeoff is we wouldn't have Cheever being able to lord something over him.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

Yeah, I know :smith:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

quote:

[The Detroit Grand Prix] has about $1 million more in liabilities than assets at end of every year, but organizers say that is OK.

The future is up in the air for Belle Isle’s Grand Prix, which needs approval from the Department of Natural Resources to continue beyond 2018 and routinely fails to turn a profit.

But…

quote:

“There is a lot of different ways to look at measuring the success for the Grand Prix, and certainly I wouldn’t say the financial outcome of our event is one of those,” said Bud Denker, race chairman.

“We would love to make a profit on an event like this, but that’s not our goal, frankly. And that’s not where we are.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/motor/2017/06/01/belle-isle-grand-prix-races-cash/102410842/

This is pretty interesting. You have a race that's hindered by the confines of the island it races on, but even if the race itself is a money loser, the fact that it generates the difference and more in conservancy efforts and B2B networking means Penske & Co. don't see Detroit the race weekend as a net loss. We'll see if Detroit the City agrees with that idea and reups for a few more years.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Human Grand Prix posted:

Yeah, seriously. Apparently I'm the, quote "king of overrating poo poo midfield drivers" end quote, and I think he's complete garbage. He just has a lovely attitude and far too entitled about things. He might have that inherent speed but he just sucks.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

97% sure it's gonna be noted Coyne oval-ace Pippa Mann in the #18 at Texas :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

iospace posted:

I want to be optimistic about him too. Giving him the benefit of the doubt for now considering he was likely under strict orders to just bring the car home in one piece.

• Locked thread