Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Considering the margins on the landcruiser
Im not surprised.

Surprisingly not that much- I paid $52K for it and private sales were up around $49-50K for the same standard of vehicle. If they made more than $5K on it i'd be shocked. Even now, nearly 9 years later the things are STILL selling for mid $40K for a good example with the same kind of kms and gear on it, and low km ones are STILL $50K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

I'd kind of like it if they stuck some sponsors and a number on it for a local race event.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ilmucche posted:

I'd kind of like it if they stuck some sponsors and a number on it for a local race event.

Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Bitchin' Camaro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3CzvQ9e_w

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

xzzy posted:

I started taking my wife's car in for maintenance several years ago when we noticed the list of stuff that needs fixed when she brings it in is a lot longer than when I bring it in.

She had a bad ABS sensor at one point and they were all IT NEEDS FIXED THIS INSTANT YOU GONNA DIE but we were broke and had to delay it. Next time I brought it in to get it done they were all "eh it's still drivable but we can take a look if you want."

Yeah, this is why my wife made me take the Kia in when it needed service, when it was still in warranty.

"Oh. my folks drove it up here from the Bahamas"
"You're kidding!"
"I must be. The Bahamas are islands."

I love that part.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, this is why my wife made me take the Kia in when it needed service, when it was still in warranty.

Yeah uh... a few days ago, Discount Tire tried to tell me my treadwear warranty was void because they had no records of tire rotations.

"I rotate the tires myself twice between oil changes, I have mileage reco...."

:btroll: "YOU HAVE TO HAVE US DO THE ROTATIONS IF YOU WANT US TO HONOR THE WARRANTY"

Me: "why, so I can take 2 hours out of my day to do something that takes me 15 minutes? I have my own records showing rotations, blah blah Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act blah"

:btroll: "WHY DOES THIS ONE TIRE LOOK BRAND NEW THEN?"

Me: "... you wanna look at that computer in front of you? That tire was replaced under road hazard due to a hole in the sidewall about 6000 miles ago"

:btroll: ".....well get all of your rotations done here in the future if you want us to honor the treadwear warranty again"

I'm used to them being pretty accommodating, and haven't ever had them bitch about rotations not being done by them. Dude also priced out the cheapest "better" tire instead of the same tire, and when I asked him to confirm it was the same tire, "no, those tires cost a lot more now, I priced you into the cheapest tire in the same tier". :argh:

Joke's on them... I drive about 4-5k a month, so they're going to be seeing me a couple of times a month now, and I'm going to ask for him by name every time I go in. :fuckoff:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm enjoying the optical illusion here which makes the wheels look like they're 13"s

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 5, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah uh... a few days ago, Discount Tire tried to tell me my treadwear warranty was void because they had no records of tire rotations.

:btroll: "YOU HAVE TO HAVE US DO THE ROTATIONS IF YOU WANT US TO HONOR THE WARRANTY"

Me: "why, so I can take 2 hours out of my day to do something that takes me 15 minutes? I have my own records showing rotations, blah blah Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act blah"

Me: "... you wanna look at that computer in front of you? That tire was replaced under road hazard due to a hole in the sidewall about 6000 miles ago"

:btroll: ".....well get all of your rotations done here in the future if you want us to honor the treadwear warranty again"

I'm used to them being pretty accommodating, and haven't ever had them bitch about rotations not being done by them. Dude also priced out the cheapest "better" tire instead of the same tire, and when I asked him to confirm it was the same tire, "no, those tires cost a lot more now, I priced you into the cheapest tire in the same tier". :argh:

Joke's on them... I drive about 4-5k a month, so they're going to be seeing me a couple of times a month now, and I'm going to ask for him by name every time I go in. :fuckoff:

If you're in the US this is illegal. They cannot void a warranty by requiring that you go to them to have service performed. You can go anywhere, including doing it yourself, under the Magnuson-Moss act.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

glynnenstein posted:

If you're in the US this is illegal. They cannot void a warranty by requiring that you go to them to have service performed. You can go anywhere, including doing it yourself, under the Magnuson-Moss act.

You can if it is free. Discount doea free rotations. However, I'm 98% sure the rotations are not required bythe warranty text (but would have to read.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

He mentioned that law in the post you quoted.

:v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

"Oh. my folks drove it up here from the Bahamas"
"You're kidding!"
"I must be. The Bahamas are islands."

I love that part.

Stranger things have happened, I saw a Mustang today with Hawaii plates.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

xzzy posted:

He mentioned that law in the post you quoted.

:v:

Oh yeah. Oops!

I'm just really enthusiastic about throwing that back at people when these situations arise. Don't want to miss an opportunity!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
PSA:

PT Cruisers are so irresistible, right? Cute and slow, just the right size and hey, it's Graduation! But there are some really good reasons why you should resist the urge to go out and get your teenager a PT Cruiser. Unless you and your kid are ready to put as much work into the new family addition as you would restoring an actual classic. Too many families don't realize the upkeep required, and unfortunately, the highway shoulders and mechanics' lots are soon littered with unwanted and nuisance PT Cruisers.

If you do choose to get your teenager a PT Cruiser, be a responsible owner and keep their population in check.
One example of responsible PT Cruiser ownership:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

NoWake posted:

PSA:

PT Cruisers are so irresistible, right? Cute and slow, just the right size and hey, it's Graduation! But there are some really good reasons why you should resist the urge to go out and get your teenager a PT Cruiser. Unless you and your kid are ready to put as much work into the new family addition as you would restoring an actual classic. Too many families don't realize the upkeep required, and unfortunately, the highway shoulders and mechanics' lots are soon littered with unwanted and nuisance PT Cruisers.

If you do choose to get your teenager a PT Cruiser, be a responsible owner and keep their population in check.

that car isnt on fire friend. :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NoWake posted:

PSA:

That doesn't look like it's in a car crusher.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NoWake posted:

PSA:

You think I don't know what a rolling shitbox this car is and how hard it is to work on?

Dude, it was FREE.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A free PT Cruiser is only free if your time is worthless.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah uh... a few days ago, Discount Tire and :words:

I've always had good luck with Discount Tire. Maybe because I'm a sucker and I get the road hazard. But in my defense it is one of the few "extended warranty" things that I've made out like a bandit on, for better or worse.

The one near my house prints money and if you aren't in the door early expect a 4 hour wait. It's crazy.

As for rotations, how do they handle directional asymmetric tires ? Dismount the fronts/swap remount along with the back ones?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is a free PT Cruiser like a free boat?

No, people actually want a boat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

xzzy posted:

Have we met?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
white elephant

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, PT Cruisers. I was at a local Cars & Coffee the previous Sunday and not only somebody rolled up in one, some other guy, perhaps even a fellow miata driver, remarked how much he likes it and how he'd like to have one :gonk:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh man, PT Cruisers. I was at a local Cars & Coffee the previous Sunday and not only somebody rolled up in one, some other guy, perhaps even a fellow miata driver, remarked how much he likes it and how he'd like to have one :gonk:

LoL.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The only thing bad about pt cruisers is that because of rhyno we're talking about them in at least 3 different threads. :argh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cage posted:

The only thing bad about pt cruisers is that because of rhyno we're talking about them in at least 3 different threads. :argh:

Keep it up and it'll be 5.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

NoWake posted:

PSA:

Uhh, have you seen Breaking Bad?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I had a PT Cruiser convertible with the turbo as a rental years ago.

It was actually kind of fun in an "I definitely returned this with a lot more wear and tear than I got it" kind of way.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PCOS Bill posted:

It was actually kind of fun in an "I definitely returned this with a lot more wear and tear than I got it" kind of way.

Enough with the endless tales about your fleshlight rentals, ffs.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Have you ever had them try to charge you the difference if the price increased when doing a treadwear warranty? They are currently trying to do that to my wife. We bought 4 tires @ $550 and they went up to ~ $675. The fronts are 100% shot, despite rotations @ discount tire. Less then 10k on them.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

related : a cousin had her father get sick suddenly so she left her HHR with us and went to FL to help out

she bought it new. 37,xxx miles.

filled to the brim with crap. the (electric?) power steering has failed, the A/C compressor goes skreeeeeek! and quits working at idle

the battery, which is located in the trunk area and is buried under a pile of her previously-mentioned crap, a trim panel, and a electric-locking-only hatchback is stone dead.

she left the island last October

I have since moved that shitheap out of my yard and onto an adjoining privately-owned but unused road

i do not want to call her about it for fear that she'll ask me to sell it on her behalf

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 6, 2017

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

the spyder posted:

Have you ever had them try to charge you the difference if the price increased when doing a treadwear warranty? They are currently trying to do that to my wife. We bought 4 tires @ $550 and they went up to ~ $675. The fronts are 100% shot, despite rotations @ discount tire. Less then 10k on them.

Wow, what tires were these?

More useless tire warranty chat: I recently got to use Costco's tire warranty on some BFG KO2's that I stupidly underinflated. They covered it regardless (pro-rated based on wear, though). Their warranty documentation doesn't even mention rotation, let alone who does them.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TotalLossBrain posted:

Enough with the endless tales about your fleshlight rentals, ffs.

Sorry you can't even touch the sides after I'm done with them

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

PCOS Bill posted:

Sorry you can't even touch the sides after I'm done with them

You're not supposed to put them on your fat head my dude.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You're not supposed to put them on your fat head my dude.

I don't have another kind, esé.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

the spyder posted:

Is this some Street Outlaw event?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

the spyder posted:

Sounds like some bean counter has decided that penny pinching in lieu of customer service is the way to go. RIP Discount Tire, if that garbage spreads through the company. That poo poo is why people go to DT, you dumbasses.

Edit: hopefully it's just a few idiot managers, rather than a corporate policy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Colostomy Bag posted:

I've always had good luck with Discount Tire. Maybe because I'm a sucker and I get the road hazard. But in my defense it is one of the few "extended warranty" things that I've made out like a bandit on, for better or worse.

The one near my house prints money and if you aren't in the door early expect a 4 hour wait. It's crazy.

As for rotations, how do they handle directional asymmetric tires ? Dismount the fronts/swap remount along with the back ones?

Really, it's the only "meh" experience I've had with Discount.

I always get road hazard too. With as much as I drive, I'd rather spend the extra money and know I can just walk in and drop $15 for a new tire if my sidewall catches a nail. And yeah, the one by me has similarly crazy waits - I usually find one hidden a bit further away.

If tires aren't able to be rotated front to rear, they cut the mileage warranty in half.

nm posted:

You can if it is free. Discount doea free rotations. However, I'm 98% sure the rotations are not required bythe warranty text (but would have to read.)

Their warranty text does specify that rotations are required, but does not specify that Discount has to perform them (at least, that's how it was last time I looked at it... I'll have to get the paperwork out of the car).. Their website also states that cars with staggered tire sizes only receive 50% of the treadwear warranty, due to not being able to rotate them.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I haven't had too many dealings with big tire companies but I straight walked out on a Town Fair Tire last year. I just needed a quote on 2 tires. I was strapped for cash and had 18" rims and needed 2 tires pretty badly. It was going to be expensive no matter what but I was just getting some quotes so I could pit some of these guys against each other and try to get a good deal. 20 minutes into trying to get a quote I just walked out. First we had to enter all my info in the computer. Then we had to go outside and check the tread on all four tires with a depth gauge. Then I need to get the EXACT mileage because if I'm going to buy today the mileage needs to be exact even though I repeatedly said I just wanted a quote. Then we went back inside where I pleaded just to give me a quote on the two cheapest pieces of rubber I could slap on the car. He tells me, you don't want the cheapest, that's dumb. You want comfort and performance, let me show you these over here. No, lets not because I have no money. He tells me, well let me get my manager over here, maybe we can do something on the price. At that point I was done. Now I have to haggle this poo poo as if I was buying the whole car. Later.

I ended up just buying Goodyear takeoffs with 85% tread online and had the garage down the street put them on. Whole thing with mounting and balancing cost right around $180 bucks.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

MetaJew posted:

Is a free PT Cruiser like a free boat?

No, people actually want a boat.

A guy on a local trading site has an add for a Great Wall Dual Cab and a Boat + trailer for $1000. Very cheap. He wouldn't let me have the boat by itself and there was no way I was going to take that Great Wall home.

^ I say that but as it's approaching the first pay day in a while without bills to pay...I'm tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Any vehicle should be worth $300 in scrap.

just drop the truck at a scrapper on the way home and carry on with your boat.