Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

inthesto posted:

Every day, even if I only play for 30 minutes and watch Knee for a match or two, I feel like another piece of the puzzle is revealed to me. Maybe I don't know where it fits yet, but just even knowing it's there is like a revelation. I remember the first time I watched Aris's video on how to create a strategy by linking moves together with movement, and suddenly watching Korean Tekken videos took on a whole new level. Once someone explained just how brutal Leo's 50/50s and CHs are, I realized I was focusing far too much on fishing for launches and not bullying my opponent into giving me launches. It's like I'm decoding the matrix, one glowy green letter at a time.

What I'm trying to say here is that I loving love this game.

good post right here <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

The "bait" is Akuma. Heihachi declared himself dead so that Akuma would move on to his next target, Kazuya. Having just gotten almost killed by Akuma, Heihachi figured that Kazuya would need to go Devil in order to take him on, thus he had cameras at the ready to capture it on film and get the footage viral.

They didn't "allude" to it because it's really obvious.

What? That's even worse! You're telling me Akuma, the evil demon entity that only hunts those who are worthy of a fight and can appear anywhere apparently on a whim, is foiled by the news telling him that Heihachi is dead? Since when does Akuma care about the news at all? Why would that be even necessary if Akuma already thinks he killed him in the fight? What about the public's perception, which is a huge part of the whole story? Does nobody in the world care that Heihachi, who was declared dead, suddenly reappeared just as loving demons started showing up?

I know it's a story about people with weird hairstyles running the world. But it could at the very least not be a drag, it would have been way more fun if it wasn't taking itself so seriously.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujz8Wq74I-k

Is this kind of lag normal in online play, or is there something I can do to fix it?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

CascadeBeta posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujz8Wq74I-k

Is this kind of lag normal in online play, or is there something I can do to fix it?

That's happened to me before, but the game clearly showed me a two-bar connection.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

fnox posted:

What? That's even worse! You're telling me Akuma, the evil demon entity that only hunts those who are worthy of a fight and can appear anywhere apparently on a whim, is foiled by the news telling him that Heihachi is dead? Since when does Akuma care about the news at all? Why would that be even necessary if Akuma already thinks he killed him in the fight? What about the public's perception, which is a huge part of the whole story? Does nobody in the world care that Heihachi, who was declared dead, suddenly reappeared just as loving demons started showing up?

I know it's a story about people with weird hairstyles running the world. But it could at the very least not be a drag, it would have been way more fun if it wasn't taking itself so seriously.

I mean it's not like Akuma's plans are foiled by Heihachi pretending to be dead he just does it so Akuma and Kazuya will continue thinking he's dead and won't get distracted from killing each other. It's not that complicated. And yeah the public doesn't care that Heihachi lied about his death because he just killed the Devil himself with the satellite cannon he has for some reason.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Brosnan posted:

I finally got to play yesterday. Hwoarang seems to have had more dramatic changes than some of the rest of the cast, and his bnbs are definitely harder now. I dunno if anyone here is trying to take him on, but if it helps, your easy bnb is:

(d/f+2 or b+3), f+4, [RFS] b+4 S! f,f+4, [RFF] 3,4,b+4

^ This does 60 dmg off d/f+2, and all the stance transitions are baked in so you don't have to think about them. However, your real bnb is:

(d/f+2 or b+3), f,f+4, [RFF] 3,4,b+4 S! dash, RFF f+3, [LFS] u/f+3,4,3

^ This does 65 dmg off d/f+2, and is much harder because your post-screw involves dashing into a fast RFF transition so that you can land f+3 into Hunting Hawk. While the 5 extra damage might not seem worth it, f+3 HH ends up being the best ender for a whole bunch of other less obvious combo starters Hwoarang has. (E.g., if you land u+3+4 you can scoop with d/b+4~f,2, screw, f+3 HH) I've been trying to work out some input slop to make it more consistent, like holding F off the dash during 3+4 and into RFF f+3, then just moving from f to u/f for Hunting Hawk. Getting better at it, but the timing on everything is pretty tight (even the f,f+4 at the start of the combo has to be done pretty neatly so the recovery from the launcher doesn't eat your first input and give you f+4 or something instead).

Alternatively you can just pick Paul and do demoman because no one blocks it and it's a lot easier. :smith:

As a Hwoarang main, thank you! Got the first one down pretty well, now to figure out the second one.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

CascadeBeta posted:

Rarely for me, if it happens all the time for you it might be something on your end.

Also nice Little Mac.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

Brosnan posted:

I finally got to play yesterday. Hwoarang seems to have had more dramatic changes than some of the rest of the cast, and his bnbs are definitely harder now. I dunno if anyone here is trying to take him on, but if it helps, your easy bnb is:

^ This does 60 dmg off d/f+2, and all the stance transitions are baked in so you don't have to think about them. However, your real bnb is:

^ This does 65 dmg off d/f+2, and is much harder because your post-screw involves dashing into a fast RFF transition so that you can land f+3 into Hunting Hawk. While the 5 extra damage might not seem worth it, f+3 HH ends up being the best ender for a whole bunch of other less obvious combo starters Hwoarang has. (E.g., if you land u+3+4 you can scoop with d/b+4~f,2, screw, f+3 HH) I've been trying to work out some input slop to make it more consistent, like holding F off the dash during 3+4 and into RFF f+3, then just moving from f to u/f for Hunting Hawk. Getting better at it, but the timing on everything is pretty tight (even the f,f+4 at the start of the combo has to be done pretty neatly so the recovery from the launcher doesn't eat your first input and give you f+4 or something instead).

Alternatively you can just pick Paul and do demoman because no one blocks it and it's a lot easier. :smith:

is his stupid loving armored launcher still in the game and is it still -12?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Brosnan posted:

Thanks for this. I've only spent a little time with Hwoarang so far -- I am new-ish and he is complicated, though I've probably spent a good half hour in practice mode going through his movelist -- and have mostly played easier characters online, but he is cool as poo poo and I am interested in getting better at him. Hopefully taking on a character this complex isn't insane. I did smash a friend online yesterday with no prior knowledge except a quick skim of that "15 best moves for all characters" page.

Do good Hwoarang players see and think about his different stances on the fly, or is it mostly just remembering strings that happen to have stance changes in them? I'm trying to internalize the advice to watch my opponent rather than myself, and it seems like paying attention to what stance I'm in will make that harder, vs. just knowing what stance certain moves leave me in.

Does Law actually have a distinct Dragon Sign Stance in T7? I've read a little about it from earlier Tekkens, but I think I've been through his whole move list and not seen it explicitly mentioned, versus someone like Hwoarang whose move list has separate sections for each stance and each side.

More general question: I know the "S!" notation means "screw attack," but when I see it in combos, does it just mean that the attack right before caused that condition, or does it indicate another command I'm meant to be inputting?

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

the move right before the S! is the move that caused the S!, its a little silly its in combo notations at all but whatever

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The top 15 moves list needs to be updated with Eliza already :arghfist::(

Any of you using her and willing to share your favorite moves and/or bnb combos? I really can't make heads or tails of her moveset (and I'm still working on that drat srk)

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

If you're playing on ps4, the matchmaking is broken right now. Only way I've been able to get ranked matches is by going to the match list and just sitting there (don't refresh or click on anyone), it should pop up a match request eventually, might take a couple minutes

Or you can play tournaments. Those are working fine.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Your Computer posted:

The top 15 moves list needs to be updated with Eliza already :arghfist::(

Any of you using her and willing to share your favorite moves and/or bnb combos? I really can't make heads or tails of her moveset (and I'm still working on that drat srk)

All I know is that most of them use her neat dash move. I'm still wrapping my head around her.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

is his stupid loving armored launcher still in the game and is it still -12?

If you mean backlash (RFF 3~4, the big-rear end spinkick) then yes. :keke:

guppy posted:

Do good Hwoarang players see and think about his different stances on the fly, or is it mostly just remembering strings that happen to have stance changes in them? I'm trying to internalize the advice to watch my opponent rather than myself, and it seems like paying attention to what stance I'm in will make that harder, vs. just knowing what stance certain moves leave me in.

Probably not what you wanna hear but yes, despite all the advice from newer players that you only need to know your top 15 moves or whatever, in Hwoarang's case you actually do need to know what all your options are in your stances and how to move between them. I can visualize, for example, that d+3,4 will leave me in RFS and that that means my low options are d+4:3 or d+3, whereas my fast mids are 4 or d/f+4 and my "I definitely have him trained to block low" punish is b+3, etc.

The cool payoff of slogging through that learning curve is that instead of relying on strings that serve as canned mixup options, you basically get to create your own endless series of mixups by fluidly moving between setups and keeping people locked down. The downside is that it's a lot more to keep in your head in the meantime, as you're also trying to learn what the hell all the other characters are doing to you. I'm feeling that now as I try to pick up on all the stuff that changed for Hwo in T7, when I can still just pick Paul or Kuma and do the same poo poo as before and win a lot more easily.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Totally fine, just wanted to know where I stood with it. Thanks!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What does w! Mean in notation?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Wall smash

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Medullah posted:

Wall smash

Thanks, thats the crumple state that lets you combo off it right?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Long shot but has anyone had success using a PS2 fight stick on PS4?

I have a no-name PS2-to-USB adapter from like 8 years ago which works fine on PC and PS3, but i just tried it on PS4 and it inputs Square and X over and over and wont let me press anything else. I know its not buttons physically jammed or anything like that because it works on PS3, no issues. Tekken 7 says "legacy controller detected" so it knows its there. Maybe an issue with the adapter?

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Here's my best costume for a character: Miguel Edgeworth. Paul might be a better fit since these are all generic clothes items though.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

If anyone on PS4 wants to come destroy me (and since matchmaking is pretty shot) I'm alfsprey

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Are friend matches working on ps4? All ive had luck with are tourneys

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Are friend matches working on ps4? All ive had luck with are tourneys

I guess I'm assuming they are

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/wiki/Tekken_Jargon

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Trykt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnGLdpB_-1E

I'm just gonna leave this video here, explaining it is an exercise left up to the viewer.

Please note there is an entire channel with years worth of content there

the botched shining wizard fuckin rules

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Boy does Tournament mode seem fragile. Kept having them break after one person bails and it's not even the host.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

tfw no assrape in this game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Asian Mist"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

http://prowrestling.wikia.com/wiki/Asian_mist

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
General dumb question: Moves that force an opponent to crouch. I hear they're good because they force an opponent to a restricted moveset. If I hit someone with one, should I be thinking that they're next attack is gonna be a WS attack, a crouching attack or both? I'm a little confused at what they're options actually are when they're forced to crouch.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
Basically, they won't have access to any moves you do standing in neutral (no joystick input) or standing d, d/b, or d/f moves. I'm not 100% sure but they might be locked out of b/f moves as well (or that might just be in VF, can't remember...). They can also hold down to stay crouching and do crouch moves.

The main thing is, they lose access to their standing jab strings (1,2 or 1,1,2 etc.), which are usually fast/safe strings. However, they can still duck jab, which I think is as fast as stand jab in this game. And of course they can do crouching moves, which will go under your highs as well. If you have frame advantage, then you can usually beat whatever they do with your fastest mid (usually d/f+1, but some characters it's a different command).

Anyway! You should go into practice mode and try it yourself. Just manually duck, then let go of the stick and see what happens when you press each button. Then practice doing a crouching move, followed by a WS move, so you can get a feel for the timing of that. This will also allow you to figure out what your options are in that situation, which you can then use to infer what your opponent's options are.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I have yet to play a single online match of Tekken 7 because every connection gets refused, but I am getting super good at the dress up mode.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Dope, thanks.

Slowly absorbing my character's options. There's only like a million of them. But uh, that seems to be Tekken's thing. Really I should sit down and grind some matches to get a feel for moving and poking but I'm just trying to remember what my launchers are/ how to get a little damage off them. I'm mostly messing around with Alissa so I'm also trying to remember what gets her into destruction stance and boot. I know I should just whittle down the move list to a few things and I try to do that in matches, but I'm pretty prone to paralysis when it comes to thinking about what to start working on because there's so little I know and so many different things.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Noob question incoming;

Is there a "proper way" to deal with mix-ups? I'm having a really bad time against characters like Asuka who can do all kinds of different awful moves out of the same string. Do I block low on the third hit? Oops, launched! Do I block mid? Oops, launched with a different attack! It can't be purely guessing right?

e: oh no.. I'm getting an "Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost." error when trying to take screenshots in customization. If I can't customize, there's no reason to play this game! Anyone else experience the same?
e2: thank goodness, going back to Fullscreen proper seems to fix it

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 6, 2017

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Noob question incoming;

Is there a "proper way" to deal with mix-ups? I'm having a really bad time against characters like Asuka who can do all kinds of different awful moves out of the same string. Do I block low on the third hit? Oops, launched! Do I block mid? Oops, launched with a different attack! It can't be purely guessing right?

e: oh no.. I'm getting an "Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost." error when trying to take screenshots in customization. If I can't customize, there's no reason to play this game! Anyone else experience the same?
e2: thank goodness, going back to Fullscreen proper seems to fix it

blocking high is usually the safer bet, dangerous high damage lows are slow enough you can block them on reaction (...with some practice...), small ones you shouldn't sweat that much. i mean dont let them chop at your ankles all day but blocking high and especially backdashing can help prevent you from taking too much damage because you don't know what the other guy is even doing

as you get better at the game and get more experience you'll start to recognize the moves a character is doing.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 6, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think I figured out why I'm struggling with the shoryuken motion! I do the motion and then release the dpad, but when I do that my controller immediately inputs a forward. Here's me just pressing and releasing d/f over and over:

Guess I gotta learn to hold that d/f down a bit longer while I do the input :sweatdrop:

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

blocking high is usually the safer bet, dangerous high damage lows are slow enough you can block them on reaction (...with some practice...), small ones you shouldn't sweat that much. i mean dont let them chop at your ankles all day but blocking high and especially backdashing can help prevent you from taking too much damage because you don't know what the other guy is even doing

as you get better at the game and get more experience you'll start to recognize the moves a character is doing.
I'm pretty awful at backdashing so that might be the key I guess. Some lows are really obvious (of course I still get hit by them because I'm Bad) but when they're in the middle of a mix-up string I don't really know what to do. I guess you're right though, like so much in Tekken it seems like experience is the key. I still don't know the moves of 80% of the cast after all :v:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Your Computer posted:

I think I figured out why I'm struggling with the shoryuken motion! I do the motion and then release the dpad, but when I do that my controller immediately inputs a forward. Here's me just pressing and releasing d/f over and over:

Guess I gotta learn to hold that d/f down a bit longer while I do the input :sweatdrop:

Yeah because there are a jillion inputs the game is strict about them. A streetfighter wouldnt mind if you hit a button early or late in a qcf but tekken does cause it could be like 4 different moves you might want

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I just had 3 glitches happen in one (double elimination) tournament that actually ran to completion. First I got a freebie because my first round opponent and I couldn't connect, so the game just decided gently caress it, Skjorte wins. Then in the semi-finals, I thought I'd somehow angered my opponent enough to throw his controller away since he was completely unresponsive in the final round, but right as I finish him off and I click to see the chat, he's already written GG. Apparently we disconnected before the last round, with him winning. Then in the loser's final, halfway through a 2-0 lead, the game again decided gently caress it, the other guy won. The post- and pre-match bugs aren't too frustrating, but mid-match randomness like that is making me not want to bother with the online aspect of the game at all. :(

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I was really into this series back in the PS1 days, especially Tekken 3. One of my favourite things about those games was the crazy and varied character ending videos. Does Tekken 7 no longer have those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity
It does but they aren't as good as they used to be.