Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm gearing up for my second run, I think I'm gonna make Tobin a Mage this time to get some more utility out of him. he's got a pretty decent spell list. Faye stays as a cleric, too useful like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tobin is way better as mage because Excaliber is a great early-midgame spell and Physic keeps him relevant after that. Neither Kliff or Tobin are going to be better than female mages so him falling off at endgame isn't a big deal.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Seconding Mage Tobin for the reasons Tae mentioned above.

I've got a Mage Kliff and Tobin, plus Cleric Faye on this run, and nothing but smooth sailing for those three. Their spell list matches story progression pretty well.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I definitely felt like I was hurting for ways to hit RES instead of DEF in Alm's act 2 with only the Levin Sword, Nosferatu, and mage Kliff. I kinda wish Luthier came earlier or something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Heaven Spacey posted:

I definitely felt like I was hurting for ways to hit RES instead of DEF in Alm's act 2 with only the Levin Sword, Nosferatu, and mage Kliff. I kinda wish Luthier came earlier or something.

Don't you get him like 2 maps into Act 2?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Man, a lot of the recruits in this game are optional, huh.

...how much would I hate myself for doing a minimum recruitment run?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Watching the credits now

Did Kamui found Regna Ferox, hor however you say it?

I wonder if there are more easter eggs in the endings that relate to Awakening

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

How do you feel about having absolutely zero healing for either of your armies until your mages promote? :v:

edit: Not only that, you'd be left with six units for Alm's army until endgame, and FOUR units for Celica's army until endgame

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

I think you'd just have Alm, Lukas, Clive and Grey, and Celica, Mae, Boey and Saber. So it'd be pretty goddamn miserable

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

I think you'd just have Alm, Lukas, Clive and Grey, and Celica, Mae, Boey and Saber. So it'd be pretty goddamn miserable

Clair and Tobin too for Alm, and eventually Conrad for Celica.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

dmboogie posted:

How do you feel about having absolutely zero healing for either of your armies until your mages promote? :v:

edit: Not only that, you'd be left with six units for Alm's army until endgame, and FOUR units for Celica's army until endgame

Celica actually gets healing at level 9.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Are you supposed to beat Alm's side second? I can't get past this necrodragon mountain.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

RareAcumen posted:

Are you supposed to beat Alm's side second? I can't get past this necrodragon mountain.

Yeah, it clears up when Celica clears Duma Tower. I was confused at how much shorter her side in Act 4 was before I realised that.

E: or it felt shorter, at least.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I'm just curious but is it a good idea to promote characters around Level 10 or promote them on later levels?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pyro Jack posted:

I'm just curious but is it a good idea to promote characters around Level 10 or promote them on later levels?

As soon as possible. The way promotion gains work and the low growth rates add up to make early promotion as appealing as it has ever been.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pyro Jack posted:

Promote literally as soon as possible. This game is an exception to the usual rule

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pyro Jack posted:

10 also isn't the universal promotion level. Villagers can promote at 3, Merc/Cav/Knight/Archers at 7 etc. The game will tell you.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Just got to the first blacksmiths. I made a rusted shield into a steel shield but I can't find a guide about forging. Should I bother with this now, or leave it until later? I don't have much in the way of silver coins, really.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Reinanigans posted:

Just got to the first blacksmiths. I made a rusted shield into a steel shield but I can't find a guide about forging. Should I bother with this now, or leave it until later? I don't have much in the way of silver coins, really.

if your archers are good you'll want to invest in turning the steel bow into a killer bow to make life somewhat easier. hunter's volley is a great skill

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Reinanigans posted:

https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/miscellaneous/forging/

That page contains forging costs for each weapon as well as weapon transformation requirements.

"Effetive against X" weapons are great investments for both sides; Alm fights a lot of cavalries so Ridersbane (and to a lesser extent Rapier) is a great forge candidate for his route, while Celica fights a lot of Terrors so forged Blessed weapons helps her a lot. It's also a good idea to forge Brave Swords from your Steel/Silver/etc Swords depending on how many Mercenaries you're using, because they're basically the best non-unique sword for the campaign. And the faster you can make a Killer Bow for your Archers, the faster they can unlock the best bow skill in the game. (Hunter's Volley, which is a double attack skill)

It's hard to say whether you should bother with it now or later since it kinda depends on which classes you made your villagers and also your funds, but hopefully all that is enough for you to make a decision.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 6, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also something the game is godawful at explaining is that you can upgrade most weapons once they have one star, so an Iron Bow* can just be upgraded to a Steel Bow, and a Steel Bow* can be upgraded to a Silver, and a Silver Bow* becomes the killer. So unless you really like the iron bow's +30 hit skill don't upgrade it more than once.

And the Golden Dagger Celica stars with becomes a unique sword for her at two stars.

Edit: Mostly beaten, that's what I get for taking so long.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Rapiers probably aren't worth it in the long run unless for whatever reason your Mages all get completely screwed by the RNG. They're way better at being Knight killers than Rapiers are.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Carlosologist posted:

if your archers are good you'll want to invest in turning the steel bow into a killer bow to make life somewhat easier. hunter's volley is a great skill

Even if your archers are poo poo, a killer bow makes them very useful. The killer bow skill is wonderful for killing enemy wizards and practically mandatory for your archers to not suck. It's pricey, but id forge killer bows for any archers you have.

Also shadow swords make godly brave swords. The ridersbane becomes Rompaia, which has a skill that adds speed to attack (making Clair beautiful death from above).

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

confessions of the last run: I didn't know the Seabound Shrine had a back to it, and I didn't recruit Python my first time around

missed out on the Blessed Sword too

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Is there an unlockable difficulty or is hard as difficult as this game gets?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Hard is the highest difficulty.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

People in the thread said that you could go to the Dragon Shrine without Atlas and the Peg Sisters leaving, but they both did for me after I fought Blake. :( Kind of annoying, I want to make Atlas into a non-crappy unit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

People in the thread said that you could go to the Dragon Shrine without Atlas and the Peg Sisters leaving, but they both did for me after I fought Blake. :( Kind of annoying, I want to make Atlas into a non-crappy unit.
A) you can go back to the seashrine
B) if you try to go to the dragon shrine, they'll leave. you can pick them back up, and they won't leave when you go to the dragon shrine this time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Re-recruit them, then go to the shrine

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

You can go to the Sea Shrine below to promote Atlas and neither him nor the sisters will leave

efb, twice

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ah ok thanks. It's just a pain moving around the map when the enemies will spawn and start getting in your way.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I made Atlas a Cav... I figured I already have 2 Mercs/Myrmidons in Celica's army. I thought a Cav might be useful (although the Pegasus Knights are there too). We'll see how it works out anyway. :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Might be a bad time to tell you that Celica's maps are basically 60% bad terrain and swamps

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

poo poo. I kind of forgot that people had been complaining about desert and poison swamps.

:smith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Those forks are rather useful. Got Valbar to Baron for all the statups then forked him into cav. All the tankiness of the knight, with actual mobility.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Make any of the barons into dread fighters and they're basically unkillable.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Strange Quark posted:

Make any of the barons into dread fighters and they're basically unkillable.

Celica's already choked on dread fighters. There's only so many swords to go around.

Speaking of which, I just found a quest for 5 steel lances. Are they a random drop somewhere or craftable or something that I missed on my first playthrough? I didn't think there were 5 in the game.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I found a rusted bow in a random crate before, but that was uh, the bottom floor of Thabes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, thank god I don't.have to beat Jedah here. All of two of Celica's army have more than 20 speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Uh is the Shadow Sword worth using? It seems like it's not if it has the chance of killing myself.

• Locked thread