Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
I am doing some pre-planning to map my starter 30k army as I now own a copy of Burning of Prospero. My plan is to do an infantry focused BA list in anticipation of Angelus later next year ( :v ).

With BoP (20 mk 3's were traded for 20 mk 4's) I thought about going short on squads and doing 2x 10 tacticals/vets and 2x 5 man heavy weapons. My initial thoughts are either volkites or rotor cannons for the first five and then missiles for the second five.

For add ons, I was thinking a sicaran, a doredo (not sure if autocannon or lascannons would be better), Mk IV command, Apothecary set and possibly a Preator set. It also occurred to me to just get a Calth box and double up on ground pounders for now but not sure if that would be a good way to go.

For followup I think diving into some air units would be a good, fluffy path once I have my ground taken care of. Xiphon and FireRaptor being the most appealing and goes with the BA air superiority theme. I do want to dive into some assault marines with attached moritat as I think that model is sweet as gently caress.

Any thoughts? I know there has been zero info on Angelus but most of these options seem like safe bets for preliminary focuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Major Spag posted:

I am doing some pre-planning to map my starter 30k army as I now own a copy of Burning of Prospero. My plan is to do an infantry focused BA list in anticipation of Angelus later next year ( :v ).

With BoP (20 mk 3's were traded for 20 mk 4's) I thought about going short on squads and doing 2x 10 tacticals/vets and 2x 5 man heavy weapons. My initial thoughts are either volkites or rotor cannons for the first five and then missiles for the second five.

For add ons, I was thinking a sicaran, a doredo (not sure if autocannon or lascannons would be better), Mk IV command, Apothecary set and possibly a Preator set. It also occurred to me to just get a Calth box and double up on ground pounders for now but not sure if that would be a good way to go.

For followup I think diving into some air units would be a good, fluffy path once I have my ground taken care of. Xiphon and FireRaptor being the most appealing and goes with the BA air superiority theme. I do want to dive into some assault marines with attached moritat as I think that model is sweet as gently caress.

Any thoughts? I know there has been zero info on Angelus but most of these options seem like safe bets for preliminary focuses.

Fellow BA player here, welcome to the nipple armour and bowl cut club!

A couple pieces of advice. First and foremost, avoid Rotor Cannons for now; they're hot garbage for everyone other then Mechanicum and Thousand Sons. S3 just plain sucks without Shred or Poison.

If you're looking for a decent starter army, consider running a Pride of the Legion list with outflanking Vets in Rhinos. Combi-Plasma vets are basically the best generic infantry unit in the game right now.

A Sicaran or two is never a bad choice. They're good against a lot of things, and are pretty durable due to their higher then average side armour. Autocannon Deredeos are also really strong. I haven't used a Lascannon one before, but I've heard good things; it all depends on what you want it to do.

If you want to do Assault Marines, consider getting several boxes of Sanguinary Guard; you can add the Jump Packs to your MkIV dudes and then use the bling from the boxes to spice up some of your characters. However, you can't add a Moritat to anything other than a Destroyer Squad. An Apothecary would be a good choice though. They'll help keep your dudes alive while the fly around and wreck face.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stanyer89 posted:

Or we can just use the rules we were given and play that way?

"Come over to HH the rules are so much more balanced".

*House rules 1/3 of the units and points cost to be more balanced*

Your black rage seems to be triggering. Have you had your geene seed tested recently?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

My choler is up rn

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Broken Record Talk posted:

A couple pieces of advice. First and foremost, avoid Rotor Cannons for now; they're hot garbage for everyone other then Mechanicum and Thousand Sons. S3 just plain sucks without Shred or Poison.

If you're looking for a decent starter army, consider running a Pride of the Legion list with outflanking Vets in Rhinos. Combi-Plasma vets are basically the best generic infantry unit in the game right now.

A Sicaran or two is never a bad choice. They're good against a lot of things, and are pretty durable due to their higher then average side armour. Autocannon Deredeos are also really strong. I haven't used a Lascannon one before, but I've heard good things; it all depends on what you want it to do.

If you want to do Assault Marines, consider getting several boxes of Sanguinary Guard; you can add the Jump Packs to your MkIV dudes and then use the bling from the boxes to spice up some of your characters. However, you can't add a Moritat to anything other than a Destroyer Squad. An Apothecary would be a good choice though. They'll help keep your dudes alive while the fly around and wreck face.

Thanks for the advice. Are volkites culverin's actually useful or are they considered too expensive for what they do versus plasma/missiles/lascannons?

Also, with pride of the legion, both the termies and vets would be considered troops, correct? Would I only allocate 10 marines as vets freeing up 10 as assault marines in your opinion or just two vet squads?

I already have 5 Sanguinary Guard packs I'm sitting on currently with the intention of using them for 30k. Just need more jump packs and maybe more bodies.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Major Spag posted:

Thanks for the advice. Are volkites culverin's actually useful or are they considered too expensive for what they do versus plasma/missiles/lascannons?

Also, with pride of the legion, both the termies and vets would be considered troops, correct? Would I only allocate 10 marines as vets freeing up 10 as assault marines in your opinion or just two vet squads?

You really can't go wrong with Marksman Vets. If it was me, I'd run two squads of those.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
marksman vets are a little ridiculous.

they basically wiped most of a unit of pyroclasts with their bolters in my game yesterday.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

PantsOptional posted:

You really can't go wrong with Marksman Vets. If it was me, I'd run two squads of those.

Y'all some unfluffy degenerates ITT. :shrug:

Seriously, it is a great way to get your army up to a playable size quickly. Vets are broke as hell for the points, so try and resist their sirens call. One thing that is amazing about Horus Heresy is how much different cool stuff you can do because of how Rites of War work.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
If you're running assault marines you should really consider a 15+ man squad so they can make it up the battlefield and still have the weight of numbers to win combats. If you have/are getting calth I'd make 10 vets with combi weapons, 15 assault marines and a 5 man support or heavy weapons squad to either put in a rhino or a bunker or something.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Der Waffle Mous posted:

marksman vets are a little ridiculous.

they basically wiped most of a unit of pyroclasts with their bolters in my game yesterday.

Panascope runs three x10 mans all with plasma and BS5

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Panascope runs three x10 mans all with plasma and BS5

Every game

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hell yeah I do.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's battles in the age of darkness, not battles in the age of feefees. Bring vets too. Vets in every slot and every transport.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

panascope posted:

Hell yeah I do.

Build a second legion so I can play against different colored vets thanks

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Chiming in for lascannon deredeos; the Arachnus heavy lascannons are expensive as gently caress, but a friend of mine got a Deredeo with those and his first ever shot with them one-shot my Spartan. Autocannons are great for removing fliers and light vehicles, plasma cannonade for TEQ/MEQ, and the lascannons are for when you want to just splatter heavy armor.

The Sicaran BT is also an excellent tank - enough firepower to threaten light vehicles, enough rate of fire to frighten infantry, and six twin-linked shots paired with 'ignores jink saves' makes it a decent secondary anti-air if you have nothing better to do. There's also a whole bunch of alternate Sicaran-based tanks coming that look very, very interesting.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Drake_263 posted:

There's also a whole bunch of alternate Sicaran-based tanks coming that look very, very interesting.

Yeah the first time I saw this one here I thought it was a kitbash with Tau (T'au?) railguns on it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I am real excited about the plasma and gatling Sicaran variants. The plasma one looks especially ridiculous.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Yeah the first time I saw this one here I thought it was a kitbash with Tau (T'au?) railguns on it.

Those look kind of like the Warhound's big Plasma arms to me. Xeno tech is weak!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just got 10 combi plasma guns myself to build my Vets with. . No one can escape the corruption of the Warmaster.

I was excited about using the Combi flamers that these come in these packs because of 8th but straight into the garbage they go!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is Tau pronounced Tee-Ow now?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just got 10 combi plasma guns myself to build my Vets with. . No one can escape the corruption of the Warmaster.

I was excited about using the Combi flamers that these come in these packs because of 8th but straight into the garbage they go!

You can just mail them my way. I have a dream of deepstriking tons of sniper combiflamer vets just to do it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

You can just mail them my way. I have a dream of deepstriking tons of sniper combiflamer vets just to do it.

:wink:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Magnetize them, you coward. :science:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Magnetize them, you coward. :science:

I though 30k would do a better job of thinning out the riffraff, but here we are. Just buy ten more mans to use as Vets.

Magnets are for poors and Tau players.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

JBP posted:

Is Tau pronounced Tee-Ow now?

What are tau :confused:

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Loyalist Dark Angels that have evolved for 10,000 years.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Where'd you order a bunch of combi weapons from?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I though 30k would do a better job of thinning out the riffraff, but here we are. Just buy ten more mans to use as Vets.

Magnets are for poors and Tau players.
I will never acknowledge magnets as wrong. I use them all the time on vehicles and dreadnoughts and poo poo. I also have two full 10 man special weapon squads magnetized for all sorts of weapons. I figure a stockpile of weird weapons is pretty fitting for Dark Angels.

Magnets are the truth. Embrace them.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Legion-Combi-weapon-Set-2015

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Chapterhouse makes a magnetic combi weapon kit if that's something you could use.
http://chapterhousestudios.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=85_113&product_id=150

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
lol if you don't have tactical support squads with magnets in their wrists

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

lol if you don't have tactical support squads with magnets in their wrists
:same:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Some serious magnet shaming going on in here.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Magnets or kys

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm doing a 2v2 shortly, my DG with IW allies against double ImpFists. I know they are going fortification and heavy squads so I think hitting them in cover and assaulting them is the right play maybe?

1,500 points per player, let me know if this is a dick move list:

+++ Death Guard 2v2 - 1,500 (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [1500pts] +++

+ HQ +

Calas Typhon
. Deathshroud Terminator Squad: 5x Deathshroud Terminators

+ Troops +

Legion Heavy Support Squad: Heavy Flamer, 4x Legion Space Marines
. Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier: Heavy Flamer
. Legion Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Rad Grenades

Legion Heavy Support Squad: 4x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launcher
. Legion Sergeant: Rad Grenades

Legion Tactical Squad: 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines
. Additional Wargear: Bolters
. Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Power Scythe, Rad Grenades

+ Fast Attack +

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter: Ground-tracking Auguries, 3x Phosphex bomb cluster

+ Heavy Support +

Legion Spartan Assault Tank: Armoured Ceramite, Chem-munitions, Flare Shield, Quad Lascannon Sponsons, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer

+ Allegiance +

Legiones Astartes: XIV: Death Guard, Traitor

Rite of War: The Reaping

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Don't you have to have two troops selections before you can start taking heavy support squads with The Reaping?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

Don't you have to have two troops selections before you can start taking heavy support squads with The Reaping?

I thought they were troops with The Reaping?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

TKIY posted:

I thought they were troops with The Reaping?

Non-compulsory. You've got a 200+ point buy-in before you get Heavy Support Squads as troops.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

Non-compulsory. You've got a 200+ point buy-in before you get Heavy Support Squads as troops.

Well poo poo.

Tactical Support Squads don't count either, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nope. Welcome to Bad Troops Town