Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

big money big clit posted:

A better way would be to fight the actual guy with the belt in that division who has expressed interest in coming down for the fight.

unfortunately cody is out injured for the time being and would probably also have a harder time than tj making 125

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Work Friend Keven posted:

Counterstrike and Overwatch are also both up and coming games. He should also consider getting an editor to create youtube clips that he can monetize & post to reddit.

He's been playing PUBG with rampage lately.

The UFC could have easily had him do a clueless gamer with Conan or something, but they dont really bother obviously.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Not if he misses weight.

If TJ missed weight and the fight went on, and MM has already said he'd want it cancelled completely in that case, it would end up being a non-title fight so a loss wouldn't threaten the record. I guess he'd want it to be ten consecutive fights but it doesn't have to be, Anderson Silva didn't make ten straight defenses because he took non-title fights at light heavyweight during his reign, and his first scheduled defense was made into a non-title fight because Travis Lutter missed weight (and thus it doesn't count towards the record even though Anderson won).

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Tyree posted:

He's been playing PUBG with rampage lately.

The UFC could have easily had him do a clueless gamer with Conan or something, but they dont really bother obviously.

Homeboy's got an agent.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dr. Abysmal posted:

a loss wouldn't threaten the record.

Are you serious? Nobody would give a poo poo about the record if he lost a non-title fight.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 6, 2017

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Yeah, I am, because the record is for most title defenses, and the title wouldn't be on the line. Nobody is going to give a poo poo about the record anyway, because nobody gives a poo poo about Mighty Mouse, and it's a moot point because he's not going to fight TJ whether or not TJ could make flyweight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Yeah, I am, because the record is for most title defenses, and the title wouldn't be on the line. Nobody is going to give a poo poo about the record anyway, because nobody gives a poo poo about Mighty Mouse, and it's a moot point because he's not going to fight TJ whether or not TJ could make flyweight.

No fighter has ever been poo poo on because of a recent defeat, my bad.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

tesilential posted:

LOL that you used Conor doubling MM's buy rate from 3 months prior as an example for your bad opinion.

Lol that you used a 205k selling card as proof of someone's inherent popularity that has nothing to do with the massive efforts of the UFC to promote him, stick him in main events, stick him on talk shows and give him title shots.

"Conor, so popular he can sell more than the worst selling champion in the sport's history, but less than Aldo Vs. Mendes"

Conor is crazy popular, but to suggest that the massive efforts of the company he works for have nothing to do with that is, frankly, loving retarded.

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah they will and it will work a lot better if he beats tj instead of ray borg

Yes, sure, he's been trouncing people for 6 years and has looked untouchable pretty much that whole time while they've done nothing to promote him, but this is when they'll turn it around.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Boy I don't know why DJ wouldn't want to fight someone in a title fight where they've never fought before and with questions about if they can even make the weight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

No fighter has ever been poo poo on because of a recent defeat, my bad.

I really hate the term, but Mighty Mouse actually does have haters. He used to be derided for being a boring decision machine (by people who, confusingly loved Ian McCall) then he starts subbing people. Well, that's boring. Then he flattens Benavidez in two minutes, and they get mad because of the way he celebrates. He finishes Horiguchi with one second on the clock, and they think he dragged the fight out. There are very much people for whom mighty mouse can do nothing right.

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground
They should cancel all of the Fight Pass Originals™ that no one has ever watched and give DJ some money imo. Maybe they can cut the second 4-part documentary about CM Punk

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The UFC would do well to promote all of their champions

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Nah.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
It's clear as day they want TJ v DJ so they can book Cody v TJ as champion v champion with a belief that Cody can be a future Conor.

They don't care who has the belts, they just want the storylines. This is fine in some ways (i.e. Bisping v Hendo) but less so when you're loving over several divisions for one potentiality.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Look, if DJ doesn't wanna fight, there's an easy solution to this: Interim flyweight title fight between Dillishaw and Bort

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lid posted:

It's clear as day they want TJ v DJ so they can book Cody v TJ as champion v champion with a belief that Cody can be a future Conor.

The quality of Cody's poo poo-talking should have convinced them long ago that this is never going to happen

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
I think the best course for MM is to just fight TJ if thats how the UFC wants to play this. Yes, the UFC doesn't appreciate one of it's most dominant champs. Yes, TJ is coming from a bigger weight class, and will undoubtedly be MM's toughest defense. But no one gives a gently caress about MM either way. And if MMMMMDJ wins, and I wouldn't count him out of any fight against any bantamweight in the UFC, then he should be able to negotiate any drat thing he pleases. And even if the UFC and the casual fans still don't give a poo poo, he could just walk away, breaking the record for title defenses with the narrative of either ambivalence or outright disrespectful treatment from the company the whole way.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

The quality of Cody's poo poo-talking should have convinced them long ago that this is never going to happen

Given the quality of Conor's poo poo talking, stranger things have, in fact, happened.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It isn't like they are doing something better.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The whole thing just feels like Dana getting irrationally angry that DJ has opinions about who he should fight next, offered up even the slightest amount of resistance to the TJ fight, and asked for some kind of compensation should TJ fail to make weight.

I mean how does it make sense to say that Cody vs DJ wouldn't sell, and then act like TJ vs DJ is finally going to be the one that sees Mighty Mouse become a big name?

Cody seems to be way more popular and well known at this point, he just dominated a guy that was considered an all time 135 great. TJ's last win, as good as he looked in that fight, is over John Lineker a flyweight who could not consistently make weight.

Just let DJ break the record over Borg, if that's what he really wants, then give him the winner of TJ vs Cody if the UFC still wants to boom a super fight with mmdj.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Memento posted:

Their tabulation of pushing fighters as the Next Big Thing is

1. Young

2. White

C. Attractive

Being intelligent or actually good are additional bonuses.

This however does not actually mean who will be a supterstar, just who they push to be one. There is a reason this also keeps failing.

Never forget for with his contemporaries up until Chael, Anderson was their lowest drawing champion (LHW was marquee, welterweight had GSP, lightweight had BJ Penn and heavyweight was Randy/Brock). All of them were pushed more than him until someone else promoted him upwards.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

vainman posted:

It would be really funny if they shuttered the division before he broke the record

Yea lol

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Do you wanna be a fuckin fighter?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
DJ is awesome and doesn't deserve to be mistreated by the greasy sleazeball dana white

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Dj is gonna win against Ray Borg and then they're going to close the division because nobody gives a gently caress.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's me, I don't care about mighty mouse.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It's me, I don't care about mighty mouse.

What fighters do you care about and why?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
MMDJ should leave and go to One FC and smoke weed with Ben Askren and Phil Baroni

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
speaking broadly i honestly don't give a gently caress if they closed down flyweight because mm would just be the champion of 135 instead and everyone at 125 who was remotely competent fights at 135 too or disappears off my television screen forever.

speaking as a fan of the sport, i'd find closing flyweight down when lhw and w135/145 remain actual divisions to be an affront to the sport's integrity.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

Their tabulation of pushing fighters as the Next Big Thing is

1. Young

2. White

C. Attractive

Being intelligent or actually good are additional bonuses.

This however does not actually mean who will be a supterstar, just who they push to be one. There is a reason this also keeps failing.

Never forget for with his contemporaries up until Chael, Anderson was their lowest drawing champion (LHW was marquee, welterweight had GSP, lightweight had BJ Penn and heavyweight was Randy/Brock). All of them were pushed more than him until someone else promoted him upwards.

It's sort of like Hollywood continually being sure that Chris Pratt, or Chris Hemsworth or Joel Kinnamon or Sam Worthington or Jai Courteny are all going to be the next big thing, and will stick them in a thousand big movies that flop before considering promoting, say, a black woman, or Asian man.

Not promoting DJ has been a self fulfilling prophecy. No one actually promotes themselves exclusively. And, even if it was possible (it isn't) asking why fighters don't promote themselves is very much like wondering why Dana White won't fight Ray Borg himself.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I agree that nobody should promote themselves and DJ isn't more famous because of racism.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I love MM and agree with him in principle on most levels. I also think Dana White is frequently lovely to fighters. But I just can't make myself expend the energy to argue against TJ as the next title defense when it is an objectively better fight on every level and is highly likely to give MM the biggest payday of his career. I mean, nobody likes to get their chain jerked around, but jesus dude that seems like a goofy hill to die on.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I love MM and agree with him in principle on most levels. I also think Dana White is frequently lovely to fighters. But I just can't make myself expend the energy to argue against TJ as the next title defense when it is an objectively better fight on every level and is highly likely to give MM the biggest payday of his career. I mean, nobody likes to get their chain jerked around, but jesus dude that seems like a goofy hill to die on.

"You're fighting Ray Borg"

"I want to fight Cody for the belt"

"YOU'RE FIGHTING RAY BORG THAT'S THE FIGHT BECAUSE YOU DON'T MAKE MONEY"

"Jesus fine"

"Scratch that you're fighting TJ for your belt at 125 because money"

"Why can't I fight Cody at 135?"

"BECAUSE MONEY GOD"

It's not that much of a hill, this is a guy at the end of his rope and after being jerked around so much has decided to die on this hill because they put him on the hill when he wanted a money fight, and now are mad that the hill they put him they don't want for hypocritical reasons.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
At the end of his rope? That seems a little dramatic.

Like I said, I understand his argument and agree with it on all levels generally speaking. But in every way TJ is a better match up and outcome for him, with the one exception being that he's a tougher fight and he is more likely to lose and not beat Silva's record. Seriously, I'm a MM defender to the hilt and get all pissy-wissy anytime somebody starts poo poo talking about him or the lower weight classes, but I gotta tell ya, I could give a poo poo about watching if MM fights Ray Borg next. The guy lost to loving Justin Scoggins a year ago and missed weight in a fight in December. gently caress that.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
But the hill is hypocritical

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
as far as i'm concerned, if you get railroaded into fighting ray borg because they could not possibly make money selling a superfight, but then threaten to shitcan your entire division because of lost revenue from fighting ray borg instead of a not-a-champion from the other aforementioned un-sellable division, you're in the right to tell people to gently caress themselves.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Skip My Posts posted:

But the hill is hypocritical

nah thats the name of the seat dillashaw holds on the MMAAA's board of directors

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Everyone should post their weight besides their lovely opinions on flyweight fighters - 155lbs

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
e: ^^^209#s

Snowman_McK posted:

Lol that you used a 205k selling card as proof of someone's inherent popularity that has nothing to do with the massive efforts of the UFC to promote him, stick him in main events, stick him on talk shows and give him title shots.

"Conor, so popular he can sell more than the worst selling champion in the sport's history, but less than Aldo Vs. Mendes"

Conor is crazy popular, but to suggest that the massive efforts of the company he works for have nothing to do with that is, frankly, loving retarded.

Hahaha, keep making up quotes nobody has said except you, retard.

Conor is popular because he is loving cool. Demetrius is unpopular because he's loving video game obsessed dork. No amount of promotion is going to make MM cool in the eyes of the average person. Like 10 people have already posted this isn't unique to fighting, good looking, popular people get advantages in every walk of life, jfc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

he plays video games? what a loving dork. if only he was as good looking as that male model who beat platinum mike perry that time, or as relateable and personable as cain velasquez. twas not to be.

• Locked thread