Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

A Pinball Wizard posted:

seems kind of discriminatory against gay people

It's why ending DADT was so difficult. Massive technological investment was required for setting up a proper PIB system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Peachfart posted:

None of these will work. At the bare minimum, older MFP's leave their serial number almost invisibly on any copy, print, or scan. Newer copiers, and certainly anything the government is using(we are their main supplier), have much more information especially since you are required to use PIV to log into each machine.

so why wouldn't OCR work? how would the serial number make it into the OCR'd text?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

CommunistPancake posted:

so why wouldn't OCR work? how would the serial number make it into the OCR'd text?

OCR(at least the native OCR in a copier) doesn't remove all other images, it just makes a text layer in the PDF. If you are talking about after printing the document, you run it though another piece of equipment just to extract the text, that would work. Or perhaps extracting the text layer of an OCR'ed document?
Edit: This is also moot as our government copiers we sell are versions without native OCR, they use a special Java program on the copier that scans to folder and can OCR if desired(though I have never seen it setup)

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 6, 2017

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

you just reproduce the document as a whole and hope it wasn't a plant with specific phrasing as identifiers

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

Peachfart posted:

OCR(at least the native OCR in a copier) doesn't remove all other images, it just makes a text layer in the PDF. If you are talking about after printing the document, you run it though another piece of equipment just to extract the text, that would work. Or perhaps extracting the text layer of an OCR'ed document? Never done that, dunno if it is possible.

i took the post to be a series of steps. you scan the paper, ocr it using all sorts of wonderful software we have today on personal computers, and don't share the originals.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you can also, like, retype it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

anthonypants posted:

they're kinda hard to see on that image

this image but :nsa: for the yellow boxes

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

CommunistPancake posted:

you can also, like, retype it.

I'd just go old school spy and take pictures with a camera. It would be far easier.
Then again we are ignoring that the places with these documents don't normally allow anything that can take a picture and usually require documents to be signed in/out. So... leaking poo poo isn't easy.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

no matter what you do the final step is always "Don't loving leak it to Glenn Greenwald"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Pony posted:

no matter what you do the final step is always "Don't loving leak it to Glenn Greenwald"
yeah but like, who else are you going to leak it to

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CommunistPancake posted:

i took the post to be a series of steps. you scan the paper, ocr it using all sorts of wonderful software we have today on personal computers, and don't share the originals.

yeah it's this

but now i'm seeing all the character-spacing watermarks that'd still show up in the ocr'd text, so you should probably also run a spellcheck and also dehumanize yourself

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Volmarias posted:

For each server, tattoo the password on one butt cheek each of two distinct employees, taking care not to have any two employees have the same two servers between them. keep a department spreadsheet of server names to tattooed employees. Do not inform the employee which server their tattoo is for. In the event of an employee departure where that employee has a password, tattoo the 1-2 passwords onto different employees as previously. Enforce key rotation via frequent layoffs and hirings.

this is what you all mean when you're suggesting a team keep rear end, right?

department spreadsheets? more like department spreadcheeks

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

anthonypants posted:

yeah but like, who else are you going to leak it to

leak it to either the Washington Post or The NY Times while letting them know you will give it to the other in X days. let their drive to best their rival with a scoop help keep the story from being sat on.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

theflyingexecutive posted:

department spreadsheets? more like department spreadcheeks

no, but seriously, grab your ankles, i need to log in.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
It also mentions elsewhere that REALITY WINNER emailed The Intercept from her unclass work terminal, so this probably wasn't going to take too long to figure out regardless of the OCR hijinks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shifty Pony posted:

leak it to either the Washington Post or The NY Times while letting them know you will give it to the other in X days. let their drive to best their rival with a scoop help keep the story from being sat on.

Also the guardian and another foreign but English language paper while you're at it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

infernal machines posted:

no, but seriously, grab your ankles, i need to log in.

My lovely post was worth it for this one.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Thought this was kind interesting today: pASSWORD tYPOS and How to Correct Them Securely

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Read up on paper towns and you'll see that tracing copies is a relatively old tactic.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
reality winner? is this a loving lost season 6 arg?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Phone posted:

if anything 2017 has provided more than enough evidence for a cult to form around the simulation breaking

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Phone posted:

i legit thought it was a codename the first time i read the pdf

even beats out Carl Mark Force IV

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ClbkTeCyw

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

A Man With A Plan posted:

It also mentions elsewhere that REALITY WINNER emailed The Intercept from her unclass work terminal, so this probably wasn't going to take too long to figure out regardless of the OCR hijinks.

the reporter told them it had an augusta, ga postmark and sent images of the papercopy to the nsa, where they pulled the watermarks for the print date, and then checked everything printed that day and nailed her

the emails were a question about a podcast and a subscription cofirmation to the podcast

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB4YgKmKVZc

saw a version of this on tv that also said it "prevents wannacry style attacks"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/andreasklinger/status/872244649611505664

why won't they leave britney alone :'(

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

also i posted this in the grey sec thread and people think it belongs here so here it is again
in the end i got rancid and viewvc set up AND i didn't have to disable selinux or chmod 777 anything
i posted this on a gist and on medium since i wasn't sure which platform i liked better. i think i got the creator of rconfig to create a medium account so he could write a comment, telling me that my post was a "god awful long boring rant" and "not credible" since i should've contributed to the project instead. i guess i should've made it clearer that i explicitly chose not to do that considering what a dumpster fire it is.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

anthonypants posted:

i posted this on a gist and on medium since i wasn't sure which platform i liked better. i think i got the creator of rconfig to create a medium account so he could write a comment, telling me that my post was a "god awful long boring rant" and "not credible" since i should've contributed to the project instead. i guess i should've made it clearer that i explicitly chose not to do that considering what a dumpster fire it is.

hahahahaha... classic

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

cool https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mmpc/2017/06/07/platinum-continues-to-evolve-find-ways-to-maintain-invisibility/

quote:

Back in April 2016, we released the paper PLATINUM: Targeted attacks in South and Southeast Asia, where we detailed the tactics, techniques, and procedures of the PLATINUM activity group.

We described a group that was well-resourced and quickly adopted advanced techniques, such as hot patching to silently inject code into processes. They used hot patching even when traditional injection techniques could have been sufficient and less costly to develop.

Since the 2016 publication, Microsoft has come across an evolution of PLATINUM’s file-transfer tool, one that uses the Intel® Active Management Technology (AMT) Serial-over-LAN (SOL) channel for communication. This channel works independently of the operating system (OS), rendering any communication over it invisible to firewall and network monitoring applications running on the host device. Until this incident, no malware had been discovered misusing the AMT SOL feature for communication.

Upon discovery of this unique file-transfer tool, Microsoft shared information with Intel, and the two companies collaborated to analyze and better understand the purpose and implementation of the tool. We confirmed that the tool did not expose vulnerabilities in the management technology itself, but rather misused AMT SOL within target networks that have already been compromised to keep communication stealthy and evade security applications.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

this owns

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

these fuckers

https://nextnine.com

are claiming that they use 1024-bit FIPS compliant symmetric crypto for what is effectively an always-on backdoor tunnel with no real security controls or isolation model that's deployed on what I assume is a terrifying number of SCADA environments. This is apparently the "next evolution" in the industrial control security model which was "Just leave it publicly accessible, no firewall"

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
:siren: https://twitter.com/taviso/status/872497344519970817

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
rip defender/mse/whatever it's called now

e: :argh:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

these fuckers

https://nextnine.com

are claiming that they use 1024-bit FIPS compliant symmetric crypto for what is effectively an always-on backdoor tunnel with no real security controls or isolation model that's deployed on what I assume is a terrifying number of SCADA environments. This is apparently the "next evolution" in the industrial control security model which was "Just leave it publicly accessible, no firewall"

i should bait them into contacting me professionally

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lain Iwakura posted:

i should bait them into contacting me professionally

no don't worry we have Security Numbers over One Thousand! That's much higher than the 256 securities our competitors talk about!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

no don't worry we have Security Numbers over One Thousand! That's much higher than the 256 securities our competitors talk about!

bug bounty? you mean admitting publicly than we are weaker than our competitors?!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
what if you could run sql commands directly against crt.sh, to do custom queries or w/e

well, https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/crtsh/sUmV0mBz8bQ/K-6Vymd_AAAJ

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

anthonypants posted:

what if you could run sql commands directly against crt.sh, to do custom queries or w/e

well, https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/crtsh/sUmV0mBz8bQ/K-6Vymd_AAAJ

uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
as i tweeted, how is that not going to end up in tears?

• Locked thread