Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Knormal posted:

Alternatively, the writer has already forgotten she was there and we'll never see or hear mention of her again.

I sort of what to know how this amazing comic is written, but I also do not want to know how they treat the 100 monkeys at typewriters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Haifisch posted:

Also I found this while looking for the other strip. Peter's face. :stare:

:gonk:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mary Jane you shouldn't sleep right next to someone with the flu. And I hope the vulture want even a part of that storyline and Peter is randomly worried.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

I sort of what to know how this amazing comic is written, but I also do not want to know how they treat the 100 monkeys at typewriters.

It's written by Stan Lee.:colbert:

ed: Stan 'The Man' Lee

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

mind the walrus posted:

Mary Jane you shouldn't sleep right next to someone with the flu. And I hope the vulture want even a part of that storyline and Peter is randomly worried.

Also aren't late-night talk shows prerecorded?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

This is the face of a man who has to spend a night in bed with his supermodel wife.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I tried to see if that panel would look any less grotesque without flesh-colored teeth.

Not really...

It almost looks like it's a mostly normal Peter face, but a section of it got eaten by the fax machine or there was a speech bubble over it that got removed or something like that, and the colorist had to scramble and draw a chunk of face and part of a mouth, and he was like "Yeah, good enough!"

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I think he's supposed to be biting his lower lip nervously (since he's not talking) but somehow it turned out more like he's attempting to eat the lower half of his face

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Haifisch posted:

Also I found this while looking for the other strip. Peter's face. :stare:

"But what if half-Spider-Man, half-Jay-Leno asked you?"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pete's going to puke

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The face of a man realizing he really is going to have to watch his decrepit aunt flirt for another three months while he gets clobbered by an underground emperor.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Pete's going to puke

I know this is Newspaper Spider-Man and I've come to understand what that means, but Mole Man literally JUST said that already

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

morallyobjected posted:

I know this is Newspaper Spider-Man and I've come to understand what that means, but Mole Man literally JUST said that already

That was a weekend strip, they exist in a parallel time dimension.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Does Tyrannus control monsters like Mole Man does? Can't wait to see Peter get destroyed by some Kirbyesque beast

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Did Mole Man ever take off his glasses in the old story? Because the idea of May seeing his soul through those dark shades is the funniest poo poo.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

RandallODim posted:

while he gets clobbered by an underground emperor.

One who could resist and overpower the whacking stick.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I imagine Moleman sounds like Woody Allen doing his most Jewish voice.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Can Mole Man not just pick up and move his operation to like Mammoth Cave or some other dank shithole? There's not exactly a shortage of underground.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

redbackground posted:

Can Mole Man not just pick up and move his operation to like Mammoth Cave or some other dank shithole? There's not exactly a shortage of underground.

You know the saying, "a man's hole is his cavern".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Why does Mole Man give a gently caress about Tyrannus conquering the surface world?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

redbackground posted:

you are a fool who does not understand Cave Honour

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alhazred posted:

Why does Mole Man give a gently caress about Tyrannus conquering the surface world?

Because what happens up above seeps or leaks down below. You've never heard of trickle down economics?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Alhazred posted:

Because that's where Aunt May lives!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Begemot posted:

Because that's where Aunt May lives!

I was going to say "Not for much longer!" but then I forgot that Aunt May will never die, no matter how old and decrepit she gets.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

redbackground posted:

I was going to say "Not for much longer!" but then I forgot that Aunt May will never die, no matter how old and decrepit she gets.
Has Peter Parker made a pact with the devil in the newspaper strips too?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

redbackground posted:

And even if she does, it'll just be revealed to be an actress hired by Norman Osborn

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Zeeman posted:

And even if she does, it'll just be revealed to be an actress hired by Norman Osborn

:pulls mask off:

"Rocket Raccoon?!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Has Peter Parker made a pact with the devil in the newspaper strips too?

Why do you think he's trapped in an infinite time loop?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Actually yes and then Stan Lee went "gently caress that it was stupid, fans agree it was stupid, therefore it was a bad dream and Peter and MJ are still in a loveless marriage sustained by spite and passive agression"

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Actually yes and then Stan Lee went "gently caress that it was stupid, fans agree it was stupid, therefore it was a bad dream and Peter and MJ are still in a loveless marriage sustained by spite and passive agression"

You could just say 'marriage'.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

enigmahfc posted:

You could just say 'marriage'.

I see you have met my parents then

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ah, the classics

January 2009:

May 2009:

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Zeeman posted:

Ah, the classics

January 2009:

May 2009:

Objective proof that Newspaper spiderman is the superior product

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Zeeman posted:

Ah, the classics

January 2009:

May 2009:

So comic strips are typically written well ahead of time right? So how long to you figure it was between these two that they realized their mistake and decided to pull back?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ikasuhito posted:

So comic strips are typically written well ahead of time right? So how long to you figure it was between these two that they realized their mistake and decided to pull back?

Back in 2007, Gary Trudeau said his lead time for dailies was 10 days, which was narrow (but quite wide compared to what editorial cartoons get), but six weeks for Sundays, which is probably more likely.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
What I like about Newspaper Spider-Man is that Stan Lee is competently inept in writing this comic strip.

The storylines are not good and would not work in any other medium, but the sheer audacity of what goes on this strip is its appeal. In the general comic strip thread, Spider-Man defeated a werewolf in a planetarium by faking the sun rise. The last storyline had almost an entire week of a naked Rocket's adventures of rummaging through trash. These things would not get by any other editor, but not only do they appear in this strip, but they WORK and make it better.

They say it takes a really smart person to play a convincing idiot on TV. I think Stan Lee is a genius for making a comic strip this bad this good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CommaToes posted:

What I like about Newspaper Spider-Man is that Stan Lee is competently inept in writing this comic strip.

Especially since he is the famed co-creator! It wouldn't be as appealing if the writer was just some random hiree.

ZeroCount posted:

Objective proof that Newspaper spiderman is the superior product

The Superior Spider-Man, you say?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

Especially since he is the famed co-creator! It wouldn't be as appealing if the writer was just some random hiree.

It almost certainly is some random hiree. Putting quality aside, Stan's style is very distinctive and the newspaper strips for the past decade+ don't bear much of his hallmarks.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

CommaToes posted:

In the general comic strip thread, Spider-Man defeated a werewolf in a planetarium by faking the sun rise.

I still maintain this is legitimately cool and, to the best of my knowledge, original. Planetariums seem like an under-utilized setting for action setpieces in general now, come to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
at some point stan's brother larry was the writer, but by now it is probably some random dude. stan himself obviously has nothing to do with it.

• Locked thread