Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Click on it.

I did, and still don't get it. Are you Dracula or Simon in this metaphor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Karl Rove is Dracula. I shouldn't have to explain this.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lurdiak posted:

Karl Rove encompasses so many villainous archetypes that you sort of need to let people know which one in particular you are invoking.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Skwirl posted:

I did, and still don't get it. Are you Dracula or Simon in this metaphor?

More importantly, which one is Lurdiak's brain tumor?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Toshimo posted:

More importantly, which one is Lurdiak's brain tumor?

we all are. luridiak is currently in a coma induced brain tumor and the mods/admins are his friends and family talking to him trying to get him to wake up.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ElMaligno posted:

we all are. luridiak is currently in a coma induced brain tumor and the mods/admins are his friends and family talking to him trying to get him to wake up.

Ha. I am lurdiak's embolism

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

So you live in a castle on the moon?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zeeman posted:

Also, why does Lex's plan involve building a statue of Superman to show a baby?

In Silver Age comics, Superman can perfectly recall his infancy on Krypton. It's one of his powers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Silver Age Superman didn't think of the Kents as his real parents. He'd always think about "my human foster parents, the Kents" rather than "Ma and Pa" or say stuff like "even though you're not my real parents" and when your formative experience of Superman is the animated series, it makes it really jarring to go back and read them sometimes.

Pretty far away from Superman flying so fast to try and save Pa Kent that his hair catches fire, in other words.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This kinda thing is why it never made sense to me that some Superman fans got mad at that speech from Kill Bill. Like did they not read old Superman comics, where Clark Kent absolutely was just a bullshit persona?

I seem to recall a storyline where he just stopped being Clark Kent and became some kinda radio DJ.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Most people have not read comics from thirty years before they were born that are not kept in print, no

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I guess I'm the real Superman fan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

This kinda thing is why it never made sense to me that some Superman fans got mad at that speech from Kill Bill. Like did they not read old Superman comics, where Clark Kent absolutely was just a bullshit persona?

I seem to recall a storyline where he just stopped being Clark Kent and became some kinda radio DJ.

The flaw with that argument is that Clark Kent wasn't a bullshit persona. The comics were weird and inconsistent but among other things he obviously treated his parents as his real parents and valued them. (Even in goofy-rear end issues where he was forced to leave them because he wouldn't reveal his secret identity or whatever.) Clark Kent The Daily Planet Reporter was a disguise but that's true even now and isn't the same as Clark Kent being a disguise.

Hell, in the issue you mentioned the DJ was Clark the K. When he gave up Clark Kent he became Clark Kent again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hmm, fair enough. I just kinda saw that as him lacking imagination.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Clearly Bill was originally talking about the Martian Manhunter, but they had to swap it out for Superman because who the gently caress is the Martian Manhunter.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Clark the K was a pretty good DJ name for back then though. Hell, it'd be decent tier now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Clark the K was a pretty good DJ name for back then though. Hell, it'd be decent tier now.
He was pretty "with it" at the time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kwyndig posted:

It's not really imaginative, is it?

Murray Kaufman (February 14, 1922 – February 21, 1982), professionally known as Murray the K, was an influential rock and roll impresario and disc jockey of the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. During the early days of Beatlemania, he frequently referred to himself as the fifth Beatle.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Man being a dj means something entirely different now huh

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm reading a collection of the first Superman comics. Just about everything he deals with is regular street crooks or corruption (sometimes on as low a level as fixing college football games). He also lords his strength over everyone, at one point nearly ruining his own plan because he gets shoved around by a guy while in disguise and hurls him across the room.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm reading a collection of the first Superman comics. Just about everything he deals with is regular street crooks or corruption (sometimes on as low a level as fixing college football games). He also lords his strength over everyone, at one point nearly ruining his own plan because he gets shoved around by a guy while in disguise and hurls him across the room.

Yeah, early Superman was awesome.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

purple death ray posted:

Man being a dj means something entirely different now huh

Yeah now it is pressing play on your laptop

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Evil Mastermind posted:

He was pretty "with it" at the time.

I can't tell which possibility is better for that dude in the lower right: that he's like some weird British Jimmy Olsen lookalike, or that Jimmy went over there and just decided "gently caress it, I'm doing this whole weird personality based on what TV has taught me about the English".

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Keeshhound posted:

And somehow I'd believed that this was an original idea (the comic linked to is fine, but Oglaf as a whole can be :nws:)

There's also http://oglaf.com/erstwhile/ :nsfw:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Edit: nah. Didn't think about thread I was in.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Keeshhound posted:

Now I'm imagining a superhero team that all wears the same face-concealing costume so that people THINK they're one omnipotent being, but they all have just one power each, Ten Brothers style. Or, just adapt the folk legend as a modern superhero story, I guess.

Wow, this pointed me to an two incredibly racist stories from my childhood that I've been wondering about for years. Thanks.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

CzarChasm posted:

Wow, this pointed me to an two incredibly racist stories from my childhood that I've been wondering about for years. Thanks.

Oh, that children's book with the literal yellow face art? Yeah, that was my introduction to it too, but the actual legend is still pretty cool.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Wonder Woman.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Golden Age Wonder Woman really wasn't subtle about its kinks in the least, huh?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's basically just a step short of saying "And then they hosed", yeah.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Every issue an even more elaborate foreplay than the last!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Terrifying science-miracles are the best science-miracles.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Did somebody say science miracle?

[Ultimate Spider-man #98]

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Making water out of urine is hardly a scientific feat.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Once again Richards proves the only "science" he can muster is the feeble mimicry of better men! :doom:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Lone Badger posted:

Making water out of urine is hardly a scientific feat.

I wonder what he thinks they do at sewage-treatment plants.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dareon posted:

Once again Richards proves the only "science" he can muster is the feeble mimicry of better men! :doom:
I googled "doctor doom piss water" but it didn't even turn up any deviantart.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Amalgam had so many ridiculous mashups:

The Exciting X-Patrol #1
(that's Dial H.U.S.K.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

joehonkie posted:

Amalgam had so many ridiculous mashups:
It really did.

Ghost Rider + Flash + Etrigan? Why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It really did.

Ghost Rider + Flash + Etrigan? Why not?

That one came together so well, though. Enigma Fisk was the worst. Two characters that really just couldn't be linked.

I'm still mad that at one point they named dropped "Prez, Master of Kung Fu" and didn't give us a visual.