Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh that's a type in the necro section lol, wow how did none of you notice this after 2 years

Wait, this means that........no one.....reads....the OP......

:smith:

(except Trogdos thank you I love you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fifteen of Many posted:

How accessible would you say raids are? Asking for a stupid newbiefriend.

As I learned this weekend, raids do require some particular gear and knowledge to be useful, but the SFD forums have a great post on everything you need to know. Started working on a Berserker since it will take awhile to get my Mesmer raid ready.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I just picked up HoT and I read the OP.

I thought the food comparisons were helpful but then I made and boosted a Revenant and now I'm overwhelmed so that's on you.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
For raids will I be okay with mostly zerker gear as a reaper? Exotic greatsword, ascended armor and scepter/dagger.

Also, is there a Discord server?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If you're in SFD, please visit our forums for mumble information. If you're in Goon Squad, please visit their site for info. (or just use SFD's idc we have lots of room)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

lucifirius posted:

For raids will I be okay with mostly zerker gear as a reaper? Exotic greatsword, ascended armor and scepter/dagger.

Also, is there a Discord server?

There's little to no place for power necros in raids with viper condi necros only being marginally more useful for their role in specific fights.

This still shouldn't stop you from joining the weekend or thursday raids, though.

And ascended weapons are far more important than ascended armour.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Okay I'll get a http://qtfy.eu/build/warrior#power_ps going.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just recently finished acquiring viper gear and made the conversion to condi ranger for fractal and dungeon use (possibly raiding too in the future) and so far it's been a blast. I feel like I'm doing a lot of damage, although obviously not as much support as I would with a druid build. A couple of variants I like to use from time to time from the qT build are:

- Heal as one as my heal, with Resounding timbre trait
- Trapper's expertise - if I use all the traps might as well get the most of them, but if there are fights I can't use as many traps I tend to use Sharpened edges
- Sun spirit, if I'm the only ranger around

Getting viper gear - the most annoying part was forging my Zojja set to Yassith due to leather prices, but getting enough map currency for trinkets from new maps didn't really take very long. I had alts parked farming berries, but other than that I just did what I could every day on one character and I got there pretty fast.

Disargeria posted:

I just picked up HoT and I read the OP.

I thought the food comparisons were helpful but then I made and boosted a Revenant and now I'm overwhelmed so that's on you.

If you use a level 80 boost on your first character no wonder you're overwhelmed. I would say 1st character level up normally, you'll get to learn your skills and mechanics naturally.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 5, 2017

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh that's a type in the necro section lol, wow how did none of you notice this after 2 years

I read literally every word of the OP when I first started playing, and it was good and helpful!!!

(I just started playing before HoT)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Magres posted:

I read literally every word of the OP when I first started playing, and it was good and helpful!!!

(I just started playing before HoT)

I love you

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of raids:

It looks like condi Tempest is favored over power Tempest right now. What I have at the moment is a couple of ascended Berserker weapons and a full set of ascended Berserker trinkets/backpiece. If I want to get into raiding on my Ele, should I be working on Viper's stuff, or is power Tempest still okay?

Side question: if I do switch to condi, is it true that I might as well just skip straight to ascended Viper's gear? I've read that making exotic Viper armor is expensive enough that you might as well just make ascended stuff right off the bat.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

Speaking of raids:

It looks like condi Tempest is favored over power Tempest right now. What I have at the moment is a couple of ascended Berserker weapons and a full set of ascended Berserker trinkets/backpiece. If I want to get into raiding on my Ele, should I be working on Viper's stuff, or is power Tempest still okay?

Side question: if I do switch to condi, is it true that I might as well just skip straight to ascended Viper's gear? I've read that making exotic Viper armor is expensive enough that you might as well just make ascended stuff right off the bat.

Condi is the flavor of the month for most raid encounters. You get a box of exotic armor from a HoT story instance I believe. So theoretically you could not spend any gold and just do the story six times or whatever for the armor.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
My biggest problem is that I love my ele, but gearing for world events/map exploration is totally different than for raids/fractals/etc and I am way too lazy to keep switching gear skills and traits around.

Game needs build presets so badly. Bring back the town clothes button, but just make it an alternative set.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Erdricks posted:

My biggest problem is that I love my ele, but gearing for world events/map exploration is totally different than for raids/fractals/etc and I am way too lazy to keep switching gear skills and traits around.

Game needs build presets so badly. Bring back the town clothes button, but just make it an alternative set.

Yeah build presets would be nice.

On a different topic, apparently the tier 3 WvW armor will be ascended?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Erdricks posted:

Agreed, build templates and an alt gear set would be perfect.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Erdricks posted:

Could always do what I do, which is have an ele for every occasion

speaking of, I forgot asura existed for a while there but then I remembered

sorry

I'm not sorry

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

dad on the rag posted:

Condi is the flavor of the month for most raid encounters. You get a box of exotic armor from a HoT story instance I believe. So theoretically you could not spend any gold and just do the story six times or whatever for the armor.

I don't have six characters at 80, unfortunately, so doing the story all the way up to Bitter Harvest six times would probably take longer than just crafting it.

I might just sit out raiding for a bit, then. As it is, I'm gonna need a totally separate set of gear if I want to WvW, too, and naturally none of the useful stat combinations are things I can just buy :v: Ele just has to want Minstrel and Viper's for everything other than open-world stuff, huh?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
holy gently caress ratsune miku is brilliant

illuyankas your character names are glorious

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Harrow, buy pieces of the less useful, cheaper alternative while you work your way up. For wvw credit buffs would be fine, unless it's significantly different from pve; I've done events in a tonic transform doing nothing but firing the birthday blaster, and got event credit purely on the boons and conditions from the field combos (the cakes are projectile finishers) and no actual damage. It's not good credit, mind you, and sometimes you don't contribute enough if there's enough people, but that's just a tonic and a toy gun. Your intermediate wvw suit would be fine.

And thanks, man. I will admit that a goon in the old thread named that one, by which I mean I shared a screen, they said the name, and I renamed it immediately - totally legit - but I have alts that exist purely because I thought of a name I liked and this is probably part of the problem, isn't it?

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 5, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Harrow posted:

Speaking of raids:

1) Do NOT destroy your Zerk gear for Viper. Keep building up power stuff, then get Viper later.

2) The idea is that you use your now completed Zerk set to play content that makes acquiring Viper much easier.

The reason is because condi Tempest is only good because of a single stupid skill they decided to redesign and did it in a stupid way. One change to this and condi tempest drops off a cliff. Zerk Tempest is still top choice on a few fights, still playable in fractals, and in general is a good playstyle to learn while collecting loot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm definitely not about to destroy my Zerk gear! I know condi Tempest isn't exactly great in the open world so if nothing else, I need to hang on to my Zerk gear for that. I'll be building up a separate set for WvW and/or raiding, depending on which I'd rather jump into now rather than later.

Thanks for the advice, though.

It's sort of amusing to me just how much the meta has changed towards the newer stat combinations--like it seems like Berserker is the only one of the older tri-stat sets that people still like. Everything else is either Viper's (for any PvE condi build) or, in WvW, Marauder's, Minstrel's, or things like that, and all of those only come on soulbound or account-bound items. It's like ArenaNet hated that people were just buying their level 80 exotic gear on the trading post or something, I dunno. What's a good alternative to Minstrel's for a WvW Elementalist build that I can use while crafting a Minstrel set?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Would necro/reaper be a better plan for condi?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Long-term, probably. Thief and Ranger are amazing at condi, too, and that seems a lot more intentional (like AnacondaHL pointed out, condi Tempest works for only one specific reason, but it's so good that it's kinda dominating Elementalist raid build discussion right now).

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Is condition reaper still fractal god?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

lucifirius posted:

Is condition reaper still fractal god?

do epidemic and reaper shroud still exist? ;)

Non-sassily, yeah Condi Reaper should still be just fine for fractals. Some people will huff and puff about BUT MUH SPEEDRUN STRATS but for 99.9% of the game (myself included), you're better off playing a class that reliably chugs through content at a good pace than glass cannon strats that will lose you more time to wipes than you'll gain from an extra 15% DPS.

Run qT's blood magic setup, imo, and don't be afraid to drop Lingering Curse for Parasitic Contagion (grandmaster trait in Curses, you can swap out better Scepter condis for a lot of lifesteal on all of your condis and it makes you unbelievably survivable) if you're having trouble staying up. Work towards dodging enough crap that you can use Lingering Curse, but if you need Parasitic Contagion you need it, and "less than optimal" damage is a hell of a lot more than "dead on the floor" damage.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I read it too!

Really enjoying the engineer so far. Noone told me I'd get a flamethrower! It's amazing fun and I really hope it does well into end game. :flame:

Still confused about a lot though. Might as well ask!

-After your first personal quest is done, what do they want you to do until lvl 20? Roam around and do events and renown quests? I assume I'll need to know after that one too.
-Seems there was a big update a while ago but it's hard to get and idea of which builds are still relevant. Any up to date sources?
-Is it worth worrying about crafting now or should I wait until later and come back? Inventory space is killing me between having to hold stacks of tools and a million random mats
-Is there a better way to get leatherworking/Huntsman mats? Most of mine have been drops.
-What is 'Condition'? Equivalent to Stat chance?
-Is there a way to rebind some skill positions on the bar?
-I've seen combos/finishers mentioned in some skill tooltips, how to I utilize those?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

All 3 Condi Necro, Mesmer, and Tempest can use the same 6 armor pieces with the same runes (currently).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't have the time or inclination for multiple alts, so was just looking for one more condi one, either necro or ele because I wanted a light armour class :)

also I really do not enjoy playing mesmer, it's likely because I am bad as h*ck

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Harrow posted:

What's a good alternative to Minstrel's for a WvW Elementalist build that I can use while crafting a Minstrel set?

Related question: which Amulets were removed from sPvP because of Tempests?

Cleric and Celestial, your preference. Celestial trinkets and some cheapass cleric armor and you're good to go.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't have the time or inclination for multiple alts, so was just looking for one more condi one, either necro or ele because I wanted a light armour class :)

I'd say Necro is probably the better long-term bet for a good condi profession, though I think Tempest is just generally the more fun profession. (The rumor is that the new elite spec for Elementalist will be condi-based, but definitely don't make character decisions based on rumors, obviously.)

AnacondaHL posted:

Related question: which Amulets were removed from sPvP because of Tempests?

Cleric and Celestial, your preference. Celestial trinkets and some cheapass cleric armor and you're good to go.

Ha, I had no idea that's why those were removed. Cheap Cleric armor and Celestial trinkets sounds good to me.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Frush posted:

I read it too!

Really enjoying the engineer so far. Noone told me I'd get a flamethrower! It's amazing fun and I really hope it does well into end game. :flame:

-After your first personal quest is done, what do they want you to do until lvl 20? Roam around and do events and renown quests? I assume I'll need to know after that one too.
-Seems there was a big update a while ago but it's hard to get and idea of which builds are still relevant. Any up to date sources?
-Is it worth worrying about crafting now or should I wait until later and come back? Inventory space is killing me between having to hold stacks of tools and a million random mats
-Is there a better way to get leatherworking/Huntsman mats? Most of mine have been drops.
-I've seen combos/finishers mentioned in some skill tooltips, how to I utilize those?

- There's roaming around doing events and bosses and stuff, world completion, crafting, tomes of knowledge (basically a level up in a book) available from WvW and sPVP, a few others; and yeah each story step is ten levels after the next, not my favourite change tbh
- for low level pve stuff you really can pick whatever, but generally gear with either power or condition damage primary is safe for the whole levelling process, depending on what you're playing
- click the cogwheel icon in the inventory and use Store All Materials, they'll be in your bank (also you can access the bank and materials tab from any crafting station)
- generally it's farm or buy off the trading post, you'll be fine doing it as you go
- Condition Damage is the stat governing the damage over time effects like bleeding, poison and burning - you're having fun with the engi flamethrower so trying out condition damage gear will get you bigger numbers when you immolate mobs - Precision is Critical Chance incidentally
- not so much skill positions, but you can rebind keys so visually your heal will be in the sixth slot on the bar but can be 1, X, Mouse3, Shift-PgDn or whatever button you want it to be
- Some skills are Combo Fields, like flamethrower's 4 skill is a fire field, and some skills are finishers, like the bomb kit's toolbelt skill is a blast finisher; they do different effects depending on what finisher and what field you use - read this for more info

Basically have fun doing whatever you like doing, though I definitely recommend exploring everywhere. Also salvage kits have a right click salvage all function, the five starter zones have their first waypoint unlocked for free so feel free to try them out if you want a change of scenery, your stats are scaled down but your exp remains the same so you get progress per your level but don't effortlessly stomp everything (still easier ofc), and typing /wiki [question] will bring up the wiki page for your enquiry straight away

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had a dream that this got ported to the Switch.
Goddamn, if that console ever gets a really good MMO, I will die.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Inzombiac posted:

I had a dream that this got ported to the Switch.
Goddamn, if that console ever gets a really good MMO, I will die.

Legend of Zelda MMO when?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

CLAM DOWN posted:

Seconding Necro, it's a walking apocalypse and more forgiving because of its natural tankiness. Elementalist is fun (especially dagger mainhand) but it's keyboard piano and that might not be your thing.

It's worth noting that the Necro's next elite spec is called the Blighter and is swinging a torch, while Reaper was a power spec. I think it's a safe bet that it's going to focus on conditions.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Oh God, Tyria mastery points are such a pain, at least the living story ones. One of these days there should be a Tyria mastery point train running through the cheevs.

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017

lucifirius posted:

Oh God, Tyria mastery points are such a pain, at least the living story ones. One of these days there should be a Tyria mastery point train running through the cheevs.

Yeah I'm maxed on Tyria experience and still need like 15 MPs, just need to bite the bullet and grind them out.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Frush posted:

I read it too!

Illuyankas already gave good insight but I'll add a few things.

Events generally give you the most leveling experience. One thing many new players - and often old players - forget is that there are event chains. Often when you pop by an event, it might be a one-time thing or the final step. But if it seems like the event chain will continue, hang around after the event is done. You'll get to see more of the story and new events exp. People are so busy that they'll port off the moment the event is over (usually shouting in map chat WHERE ARE EVENTS) and won't do the follow-up.

If you log in regularly, you'll get laurels as a reward - you can use these to buy leveling exp boosters from laurel merchants, which are really useful - and if you're in a guild, you can get a 24h EXP booster from a merchant at the Guild hall. (also various other things too). Leveling is pretty fast though, and you'll end up outleveling gear and maps at some points. You can always return to outleveled maps later, as you get scaled to a appropriate level, so there's no need to worry about "missed" content!

For a leveling build don't worry too much. The game opens up when you get better gear and especially traits later on. Try out different skills and kits. For a general tip pistol is condition damage and rifle is power.

Eventually you should do crafting to save money. Whether or not to do it while leveling... you will most likely not have enough suitable materials to level up a similar crafting level as you go, unless you go and pick out every node you find (and of course with leather it'll be harder, since it won't grow in the wild). Remember you can store all materials in your bank with the click of a button, and save all materials you come by. You can later on sell ones you don't need for crafting, and acquiring mid-level materials (especially leather) can be a pain anyway.

Fields and combos will be really useful later on. If you have a skill that plants a water field (like Rangers' Healing spring) and you or someone else uses a blast finisher on it, everyone in the range gets healed.

I have a few surplus bags in my storage and full character slots so if you give me your mail info I can donate to your new player fund (although I think once you discover the store materials to bank option you'll have an easier time too).

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 6, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If you send a mail to Arus.1482 with anything you need I'll help out too! I have a ton of bags and poo poo lying around

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

TeaJay posted:

Remember you can store all materials in your bank with the click of a button, and save all materials you come by.

At some point you'll be depositing materials and something (probably copper ore or green wood logs or something) will just sit there and not move. This is because you can only store 250 (i.e. 1 stack) of things in your materials bank unless you buy a gem store upgrade for real money. You can still deposit things manually in your regular bank though, and take things out of your material bank to store in your regular bank if you're saving up something.

I'm pretty sure everyone has had this "why has it stopped working??" moment :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

CLAM DOWN posted:

I read the OP daily, join in on every open world raid, map meta, for HoT, fractal and pvp dailies, guild missions and all wing clears weekly. I am a pro at GW2.

(I actually don't do one of these things, guess which)

• Locked thread