Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ugh, die, DeRosa.

The world is a better place.

What a complete piece of trash.

On a gameplay note, DeRosa actually hits pretty hard with his spells.

I was never able to make red mage work. On paper, the idea of someone who can use both physical and magic attacks sounds appealing, but actually you're better off sticking to either physical or magic. Using both white and black is useful, but then the issue is that it takes a lot of JP to level up.

The red mage does have some nice abilities that work with other classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As in Final Fantasy games with the class, Red Mage is much more useful for the abilities it has, rather than for any merits of the class itself. And before you ask, no, the most useful abilities of the Red Mage class generally do not include Red Magic. You're usually better off with a dedicated white/black mage rather than using the slower-growing and lower-level Red Magic. In FF games, it's generally Dual Cast - which is the ability to cast two spells at once - and here, it's a couple of BP manipulation support abilities the class gets, which can be used in conjunction with other class abilities.

Spell Fencer does the whole "hybrid class" thing better than Red Mage, although it doesn't try as hard to be a "jack of all trades" as the RM. It's pretty focused on direct damage.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dualcast doesn't make much sense as an ability with the brave/default system, like if you want to cast two spells you can just cast two spells so I think the Red Mage's BP manipulation stuff is trying to instead get across the spirit of Dualcast. Less power overall but incredible flexibility and popping spells left and right.

Also the red velvet + rise combo makes for an amazing outfit, and DeRosa is so awful there's no guilt in killing him for his clothes.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

As in Final Fantasy games with the class, Red Mage is much more useful for the abilities it has, rather than for any merits of the class itself. And before you ask, no, the most useful abilities of the Red Mage class generally do not include Red Magic. You're usually better off with a dedicated white/black mage rather than using the slower-growing and lower-level Red Magic. In FF games, it's generally Dual Cast - which is the ability to cast two spells at once - and here, it's a couple of BP manipulation support abilities the class gets, which can be used in conjunction with other class abilities.

Spell Fencer does the whole "hybrid class" thing better than Red Mage, although it doesn't try as hard to be a "jack of all trades" as the RM. It's pretty focused on direct damage.

The two MMOs, Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV both have Red Mage as a very competent class all on it's own. It was one of the first in XI that could solo higher level enemies and in XIV it looks to be the first hybrid ranged/close Melee/magic DPS class that relies on a very special duel gauge that required both Light and Dark arts to fuel melee weapon skills.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, and in Final Fantasy Explorers, Red Mage gains the ability to dual-wield wands, IIRC, which allows them to deal pretty effective magic DPS. It's not a universal rule, but in most of the single-player FF games, there are far better classes to be using than Red Mage, and the best thing to do with the class is cherry-pick the best abilities and move on. It's kind of a shame, because I kind of like the class (from the concept right down to the outfit), so it's a shame that the class is usually subpar.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, and in Final Fantasy Explorers, Red Mage gains the ability to dual-wield wands, IIRC, which allows them to deal pretty effective magic DPS. It's not a universal rule, but in most of the single-player FF games, there are far better classes to be using than Red Mage, and the best thing to do with the class is cherry-pick the best abilities and move on. It's kind of a shame, because I kind of like the class (from the concept right down to the outfit), so it's a shame that the class is usually subpar.

The XIV iteration of Red mage has the swaggeriest personal taunt ever possible. They spin their sword/catalyst around like the arrogant, smug, rear end in a top hat they are, then they throw it into the air while it's still spinning and while it's up there, they adjust their collar while smiling the smuggest smile the game's engine can generate before catching the weapon.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Commander Keene posted:

And the (usually) more robust physical and speed stats of Red Mages, and most importantly their ability to wield swords, which usually come with magic boosts or other nice buffs.
On a personal note Red and Blue mages are my favorite archetypes of any magic wielding game characters, ever.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 1, 2017

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Well, I'm actually fairly impressed with this arc. Other than that awful victim-blaming conversation.
but jesus gently caress, Eternia is like the mad scientist that built the child molester robot from that recent SNL skit. like here's all these games with EVIL EMPIRES that conquer territories, torture people, etc. but that's not hardcore enough for Eternia. no, no, no. They have to hold hostage a kingdom's water, and poison another.
That Tiz & co. are killing these people honestly seems pretty justified.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To be fair, according to the Red Report, DeRosa is acting on his own agenda, and Profiteur is as well given that Khamer gave him free reign to do whatever was necessary to turn people to Anti-Crystalism. He just exploited the fact​ to make money.

That being said, the Sky Knights were pretty nutty, and Victoria went around killing people for fun, so Eternia is pretty hosed up, yeah.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, it is a religious war. People tend to get all stabby on their enemies in those, even if they convert.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Well, considering DeRosa was able to bribe the Orthodoxy officials, they're definitely not like Agnes.

In other words, the only thing Agnes represents is herself. She isn't the face of the actual Orthodoxy, especially since they're greedy enough to accept bribes from slimeballs and watch their country suffer.

Of course, we can believe Agnes and her acolytes are nice people, but after reading the red reports, you can't say the same for these official guys. ...Florem doesn't seem to a pleasant place to live in.

Also, if you dual wield wands, even your red mage will do good magic damage, but the thing with JP still exists.

Basically, you get white mage and black mage earlier, and you'll learn white/black magic level 3 or 4 earlier than you'll learn black and white magic level 3 / 4.

Then the whole thing is how getting Job levels gets harder the more your job levels up.

But anyway, dual wielding wands gives you very nice magic output - you won't be able to do decent physical damage though.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 1, 2017

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And the (usually) more robust physical and speed stats of Red Mages, and most importantly their ability to wield swords, which usually come with magic boosts or other nice buffs.
On a personal note Red and Blue mages are my favorite archetypes of any magic wielding game characters, ever.
Yeah, but you're usually better off playing a more specialized class than the jack-of-all-trades, master of none that is the Red Mage. Red Magic doesn't use the RM's physical stats, and physical attacks don't use their Magic stat, so you're only ever taking advantage of one attacking stat at a time, and both are subpar anyways. If you want to fight, Spell Fencer/Mystic Knight does a much better job of murdering things with a sword and magic (at the same time, even!), and the dedicated casters are much better at their jobs when using magic, as well, especially considering you can stick White Magic on a Black Mage or vice versa for a caster who's better at both than the RM, and leveling both at the same time usually takes about as long as leveling RM. There are exceptions, of course, where their flexibility is more useful than the raw power of a more specialized class; I almost always have a Red Mage in my party in FF1, sometimes even over a more dedicated fighter class, for example.

Don't get me started on the Blue Mage. They will either be your best character (free healing, multi-stat buffs, low-cost but powerful attack magic), or a waste of space far exceeding the Red Mage's capacity to suck. All depending upon what skills you can trick/force the computer into using on the right character.

For the record, the "mystic knight" type character who can wield a sword and magic is my favorite fantasy archetype. This includes the Red Mage, as well as the Spell Fencer and the Blue Mage in Final Fantasy games. I want the Red Mage to be good, I really do, and when they are, I make sure to have one. It's just that they usually fall short of the mark.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blue Mage is the best Job Class ever, and I will fight anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Blue Mage is the best Job Class ever, and I will fight anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

Blue Mage is a great class in most games... if you have a tolerance for the grind to grab all the cool skills. If you don't, it's beyond useless.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Has Greyarc used Bravely Second (the combat ability) once in the game so far?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Not to my recollection. I did link the quotes from it a while back, though.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Nope, not yet. I'll demonstrate it in chapter 3.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Let's Learn Jobs: Summoner

Summoner is all about doling out the biggest and flashiest magic attacks by summoning hell monsters to devastate their enemies. They dress like fairy princesses/princes and thanks to Mephilia we all know what gruesomeness that implies.

Summoner is an old staple of Final Fantasy, present since FF3. Summoning has often played an important story role, whether due to a summoner such as FF4's Rydia, FF9's Garnet or FFX's Yuna, or because of the summons themselves, such as Ramuh and Shiva, who have often been characters in their own right. Bravely Default keeps the summoner but scraps the FF summons, coming up with all new faces/demonic contraptions to unleash.

Job icon is fairy wings to remind you of the terrible events you witnessed in the gardens. Job Command icon is harder to make out, but looks like a spell midcast or some sort of summoning circle or gate.

Summoners are unable to find the pointy end of a blade. Keep them to magic, where they can do either healing or damage with MP to spare.

Blue are support abilities, red are skill abilities.

Level 1 - Summoning Lv.1: Girtablulu (40 MP)
Level 2 - Abate Lightning: Halves lightning damage. (Cost: 1)
Level 3 - Summoning Lv.2: Hresvelgr (40 MP)
Level 4 - Summoning Lv.3: Ziusudra's Sin (40 MP)
Level 5 - Friendship: 2x affinity gained from Summon Friend. (Cost: 1)
Level 6 - Summoning Amp: Increases MP cost/damage for summons x 1.25. (Cost: 2)
Level 7 - Summoning Lv.4: Promethean Fire (40 MP)
Level 8 - Summoning Lv.5: Deus Ex (40 MP)
Level 9 - Summon Substitute: Upon self-K.O., randomly cast summon. Does not trigger from poison damage or when Reraise is in effect. (Cost: 1)
Level 10 - Summoning Lv.6: Susano-o (60 MP)
Level 11 - Convert MP: Allows other jobs to equip the Summoner specialty. (Cost: 1)
Level 12 - Summoning Surge: Summon damage increases 10% every time summon has been used during same battle. (Cost: 3)
Level 13 - Summon in Pinch: Upon reaching low health, cast free random summon. (Cost: 2)
Level 14 - Amp Friends: Boost effects of Summon Friend abilities. (Cost: 1)

Summoner is an odd duck. Aside from the normal summons you find ingame, it focuses on improvements to the Summon Friend mechanic. This can make Summoner powerful if you use Bravely Default's multiplayer, or not so useful if you prefer to pretend online features don't exist in ostensibly single player games.

That aside, Summoner still packs plenty of punch with its large multi-target elemental attacks and abusable support abilities. Plus, hunting down new summons is a fun side activity.

Restores MP equal to 1% of damage taken. Poison damage does not count.

Summoner outfits are elegant black dresses and suits with delicate rainbow accents. I question the party's taste and wisdom in integrating mind-altering fairy wings into the design, but hopefully they're artificial rather than the real deal.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I really love the Summoner outfits. In between the great summons and the class costumes they really nailed the aesthetics of the class.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Even if you don't go out of your way to do it, you can still get dozens upon dozens of powerful attacks through even casually using the multiplayer thing. If Greyarc really wanted to, he could combine a Bravely Second with one of his multiplayer summons to oneshot pretty much any boss thus far.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Summoner outfits are nice.

The good thing about Bravely Default is that every job brings something to the table.

At the very least, you shouldn't knock them till you've unlocked every job.

The real problem is you have all these jobs and all these combos but just 4 characters. What to pick, what to choose.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Edea sure likes her boots

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Summoner:

MP: +40%
STR: -40%
VIT: -30%
INT: +30%
MND: +20%
DEX: -10%
AGI: -20%

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Deus Ex and Promethean Fire are probably the best looking summons in the game.

But I suppose we'll see those when we get to that point.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
I dunno I personally really dig birdplane.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 40: Twilight Reunion

The secret entrance to DeRosa's lab is now accessible, if for some god-knows reason you want to go back there. Hope some poor drunk doesn't stumble in and start playing with vials while we're gone.

Today's new Norende gift is either a bug or a jewel in the shape of a bug. I couldn't find any large-scale examples of insect worship in Japan, so if anyone has an idea, chime in. My guess is it's a reference to the scarab beetle, a type of dung beetle worshipped in ancient Egypt as a symbol of Khepri, a sun god or one of the manifestations of the sun god Ra. The connection is that Khepri rolls the sun across the sky, same as how dung beetles roll dung. Scarabs were a very popular image for jewelry and charms, often made in bright green, blue, and red colors.

Edit: According to Rigged Death Trap, this item actually likely refers to Chrysochroa fulgidissima, or Tamamushi, a beetle whose iridescent wings have traditionally been used for decoration in Japan. Sounds like a perfect match.

After that small detour destroying the Bloodrose Legion, we can finally go see Olivia and maybe do something about the whole crystals business.

Like the hidden village where we met Einheria, our next location is tucked against the mountains.

No wonder Olivia and her crew have been able to stay safe for so long. An extensive network of ruins block the only apparent path between the valley with the Crystalist village and the rest of Florem.

Edea hesitates when the party steps inside.

Is something wrong?

Do you remember the girl who won at the festival?

Sure. The little one, right?

I have no interest in little girls. There's nothing sexy about a twig that's yet to bud. I can't imagine how she won.

I don't think Edea was asking for all that...

I could swear I've seen her somewhere before. I just can't place where...

This answers a question some people had earlier.

Let's fight through hordes of monsters to find out! Either the crystalists have their own experienced fighters or there's an easier entrance Olivia's envoy forgot to tell us about.

This place is something we haven't had often: a puzzle dungeon.

Touch the switch, the doors light up with a color-matched symbol.

The open door closes and the closed door opens. Touching the switch again reverses the process. It's hard to see in the dim lighting, but you can make out the door symbols even when they aren't lit up.

The local monsters give us a chilly reception.

There are no enemies in the water temple, so sticking the water elemental on the way to the water vestal is the next best thing.

No, that's all right, once is enough.

The minotaur's an old classic I imagine most everyone knows by now. He's from Greek mythology, half-man half-bull, and the Labyrinth was constructed to contain him. This dungeon is pretty maze-like by this game's standards.

These guys cast as many status effects as they can.

Ultimate pro strategy to prevent them from using magic: kill them.

Bravely Default's fantasy age appears to mix mainly Greek and Japanese mythology, with a few scraps of Nordic myth for good measure.

First area map.

There are more twin door types further in. This one's pink/red symbol is like the midday sun.

A green crescent moon. To get all treasure and progress, each door set has to be manipulated at least once.

Down another floor...

Leads to this. Four switches within sight. This is a fun little dungeon someone designed.

A reward for figuring out the puzzle. So far as I've researched, birch is good for short bows, but not the best material. Yew seems to be considered the traditional best of the best, but it ultimately comes down to being a matter of bow type/humidity/opinion.

The fourth door symbol is... a water drop?

Complete map, with blue chest left behind. Someday... but not for a while.

Next floor has a hidden passage in the southwest corner.

"My family and supposed friends may loathe me, my health may fail, my businesses may go under, and I may leave a legacy of terrible decisions behind me, but damned if I don't have a ring with my seal on it! Hell yes, I'm great!"

Another four door set puzzle has this treasure tucked away. The Orthodoxy's head temple, huh?

Don't put a damper on things, Adventurer. This is going to be a nice reunion and everything's going to work out great.

Beyond the ruins is an area built into a cliffside, similar to (but not the same as) the other hidden village.

As the party approaches a group of Crystalists, Agnès breaks away from the others.

Ahh! Olivia!

:unsmith:

And I am sorry. I've been on the run, hiding in one corner of Florem or the next.

Since the day the darkness took the crystals?

Darkness? You speak of what happened a few weeks ago? No, I've been a fugitive for longer. Years, now...

What? But I don't... Whatever for?

Florem maintains a show of stability and peace, but it's been home to harsh persecution. Crystalists are rounded up.

Any who struggle are killed... I nearly joined them more than once.

Persecution... At whose hands?

Any under the banner of the blood rose. The fields have run red since the day they appeared.

...The Bloodrose Legion.

We nipped that problem in the bud.

I, too, nearly died by the hands of the duchy. In Caldisla.

I feared as much. I know not the cause of the violent hate they bear us, but it exists.

But come. Seeing you again like this is a happy occasion. We've both survived. In truth, I had begun to doubt such a reunion would ever come to pass.

Have you had some cause to lose hope?

Are you certain!? Oh, this is terrible...

Awaken...? What does she mean? And what...what is she?

Don't eye me like I'm some kind of monster. I'm a cryst-fairy!

Olivia, we vestals are the only ones able to dispel the evil shadow spreading over the land.

And to do that -- to fill the great chasm -- all four crystals must be awakened.

I see. In my seclusion, I had no idea... You've fought so hard, Agnès. How my little crybaby friend has grown.

We can do this. I cannot hope to lead anyone by continuing to flee. Those believers who remain need comfort. Hope. And the world needs our aid.

I'm coming with you, Agnès.

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] Olivia... Thank you. I'll be tenfold braver with you at my side.

Then let us begin at the Temple of--

Oh, for--

Who...?

Could it be...we were followed!?

The witch... Victoria! I remember now... She sits upon the Council of Six. Leaders of the Eternian Forces!

What!?

You vestals have run quite out of hand at late. I shall see your running ends here!

Look out! Agnès!

Next time on Bravely Default: Where the Sadistic Floating Death Girl Obtained Military Leadership: We may be in over our heads.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Olivia, Vestal of Water

Party Chat:
Anxiety

D's Journal: Twilight Ruins posted:

cont: for the adherents of Crystalism.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 3, 2017

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Fidangling with those doors is incredibly tedious and time-consuming, placing the blue chest near the end is just cruel

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

We've reached my second least favorite dungeon in this game! I think the puzzle resets when you leave, so have fun doing everything again when you come back for the blue chest!

The Glitterbug sounds like that scarab beetle thing Samurai Jack put together to summon Ra to defeat the Minions of Set.

These are my favorite monsters in the game. I just like their aesthetic, and I've always been fond of magic using classes/enemies.

Yew is certainly the best.

Olivia's little area looking the same as the place you fight Einheria in is a little distracting. I wonder why Florem has so many ruins surrounding it, though. I think the Harena Region at least had some kind of explanation.

Good job not remembering Victoria before it was dramatically relevant, Edea. :argh:

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I actually really liked the ruins. The puzzle was nice.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jewel beetles are an actual type of beetles, prized for their shiny and often iridescent shells.
They used to use their wings for decoration and jewelry and the species that was used for that in japan, Chrysochroa fulgidissima, is called Tamamushi, literally "gem-bug".

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 3, 2017

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Jewel beetles are an actual type of beetles, prized for their shiny and often iridescent shells.
They used to use their wings for decoration and jewelry and the species that was used for that in japan, Chrysochroa fulgidissima, is called Tamamushi, literally "gem-bug".

Wow, the related beetlewing art is quite beautiful.

Yep, I think that's the real source for the item. I've updated the post to add it in. Thanks for clearing that up!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess whatever earth vestal there was went down the sinkhole already?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Glazius posted:

I guess whatever earth vestal there was went down the sinkhole already?

We'll learn the fate of every vestal, and I'm sure Greyarc will explain it to us as we play.

Poor Olivia though, we just met and we already ran into this evil stick that's gonna kill us. While the guy next to her goes, "Just so Victoria, just so."

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 41: Beneath a Clouded Sky

It was meant for the both of you. How irritating.

Olivia, please no! Olivia!

Let this be a nightmare...

Oh, bother.

Another!?

So you have. Our purpose was to be the capture of the vestals, but I fear you've overdone it... Not that it especially matters.

Ha ha, you know how I detest holding back. Temperance is so dull!

Remember the summon battles, where the goal was to survive for a turn? Edea wasn't kidding about Victoria and Victor's power. Unless you're playing new game+ or are overleveled, you aren't going to win this fight. Instead, our goal is to survive for five turns.

They're like little dolls. One good twist, and off pops their head!

You are ever demanding of your toys, Victoria.

Victoria's basic move is top level black magic.

At the end of the first turn, Tiz speaks up.

Victor, were we to bring back the vestals, plural?

Then I think I'll go ahead and kill the wind vestal. Yes, that sounds rather lovely.

Victor uses a spell called Fairy's Aid to support Victoria and himself.

If Edea's knocked out at this point, she'll resurrect with one HP to deliver the line, which can be a nice bonus.

Hmm? Ah, it's the grand marshal's girl. I was too distracted by the vestals to notice.

Has my father truly performed such brutality all this time!?

Quiet your wailing. He was calm enough when he cast you off.

Indeed, I see no issue with terminating her here.

That went well.

And this is where Victoria pulls out the stops.

The next turn, she uses a spell called Exterminate, which is aptly named.

RIP party.

Let's rewind and pretend Edea had a vague feeling everyone should equip anti-poison accessories.

Victor demonstrates the top level offensive white magic spell.

Lastly, Victoria uses Corpse, which in all but name is the good old-fashioned Final Fantasy Doom spell, with a countdown to zero ending in death.

Eventually...

Then shall we conclude?

Ha ha, erase all but the water vestal.

...!? Victoria? Victoria!

Nhh...ahh...nh...aah...aaagh!!

Of course it would have to be now...

Victor exits, taking Victoria with him.

No, they let us...go?

For anyone curious, if you take in an overleveled party and beat them up, the "I grow bored" scene triggers early and things progress as normal.

With Victor and Victoria gone, the party exits asterisk space and presumably attempts to heal Olivia, to no effect.

Nnh...ahh... You were...always quick to tears... I need to keep close watch... I'm sorry... As you say, we'd just... After so long...

I can't! I need you, Olivia. I can't do this alone. I can't do this...

You can... You will. I know... You can... Only you... Only...

Olivia! Open your eyes! Please, open your eyes...!! You're the only one. My only friend... Don't leave me... Please, don't leave. I need you...

Earlier, people were discussing whether the party could've saved Owen with healing, and here we've got another example.

Victor's lines imply he planned to bring Olivia back to Eternia alive, so there are ways to save people when they're beyond the reach of cure or phoenix downs. As you might have already guessed, we'll find out more about that later. Unfortunately, the party's just not good enough to have access to those more extreme methods.

Why did this have to happen? It's not right!

...It's too cruel... It feels like my heart's been torn up into ribbons... It's too sad.

But...where do we go from here? You're the only vestal left, Agnès.

So I'm asking you. Awaken the four crystals, before the world is swallowed completely. It's what Olivia wanted. She said you could do it. Only you.

Olivia lies dead because of me. The same as the Acolytes of the Temple of Wind the night the darkness struck.

Why do they all hurry to leave me so? Why is it always me left behind? They're all leaving... Everyone I ever knew, vanishing forever.

Agnès... I don't know the words to comfort you... But I want to say this, at least.

...... I...

I will do it. There's no one else left.

This, then, is the culmination of Chapter 2. A moment of happiness taken away by a force outside our control. Before, Agnès had hope of the other vestals stepping in should she fail. Now, she's lost not only her friend, but the last person she could truly depend on, so far as she's aware. How would it feel to have the life or death of the world and everyone in it depend on you alone, no second chances? Especially when the one person like you, stronger than you, better than you, had just been killed with so little effort?

The village has been abandoned.

Before leaving, let's take a look at a couple items stolen during the Victor/Victoria battle.

This was worn by Victoria. Sounds fancy.

This was worn by Victor. Sounds priceless. Both items offer substantial stat bonuses.

Victoria uses black magic, but here we find where she gets the rest of her spells: arcanist.

Victor, her counterpart, similarly uses white magic but is primarily a spiritmaster.

Pretty powerful looking jobs, weren't they? But we probably won't be seeing them again for a while. Victoria was in pretty bad condition, and it's hard to imagine Victor showing up without Victoria.

The party starts back to Florem.

Agnès is beyond downhearted...

I wish I knew what to say to her. It's my fault. I should have remembered who Victoria was sooner.

The two vestals shared a bond closer than I can begin to imagine. For now, we'd best just give her space.

Of everyone here, Tiz can relate most to what Agnès is going through.

Before going to the Temple of Water as the plot demands, we're going to make a quick stop by the Matriarch's to let her know what happened.

We'd always hoped her absence would end. No vestaling was chosen to succeed her...

Lady Vestal, pray, tell me. What ought I do? What can this nation do?

For being an organized religion running over a couple millenia, the Crystal Orthodoxy really was terrible with record-keeping. They made the effort to adopt the vestals. You'd think someone along the line would have documented their practices.

If the Bloodrose Legion is not defeated at this point, the matriarch says nothing else. But if they are defeated:

But confusion still remains. I fear this old woman alone cannot set this land aright...

If the matriarch were capable of wielding any great influence over the people, the Bloodrose Legion wouldn't have allowed her to stay. There's no easy change for the culture here. Hopefully once all the toxins and hallucinogens are out of everyone's systems, things will start to calm down naturally.

The party exits onto Florem's streets, seeking a minor distraction before setting out again.

Huh? Oh, sure. So, there's a base special move for each different weapon type.

Ohh, it's by weapon type?

Right. So you might want to try out a bunch of different weapons and see what works. And you can shout whatever line you want while performing them.

He he, I'll have to think of something really amazing.

"This one blow will be your last!" is an old favorite of mine.

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] Yes, that's quite imposing!

Yeah, but then what if they survive it? Don't you look like an idiot?

Hmm, then what about, "This will probably defeat you, maybe!"

Hmm, that's not really better. In that it's worse.

Perhaps just, "Gosh, it would be great if this defeats you!"

Not much of a battle cry, is it?

"Prepare for mild to severe discomfort!" maybe?

Ha ha ha, these are all terrible...

Before we finish, there's one more new item from Norende.

Every part of this database entry is amazing in its own way.

Next: An alternate meeting with Einheria and a visit to the Temple of Water.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Like Dolls
Olivia's Final Hour
All Lights Fade

Sub-Scenario:
The Vestal of Water is No More

Party Chat:
Agnès's Anguish
Norende's Special Moves

D's Journal: Agnès Oblige posted:

Though Agnès's speech at the Sacred Flower Festival fell flat with the crowd, her words reached the vestal Olivia. Agnès was in such a hurry to meet her friend, she did not realize she was being pursued. Reunited at last, Agnès and Olivia shared a joyful embrace. However, a single blast of magic from the arcanist Victoria tore them apart forever...

D's Journal: Olivia Oblige posted:

A twenty-year-old girl from Florem. Born the same year as Agnès, they became vestalings around the same period, and were both made vestals within a short space of time when their predecessors perished.
--------------------------------
Dislikes: Roses

The water vestal Olivia was constantly on the run in Florem due to the suppression of Crystalism by the Bloodrose Legion. She had also recently learned that the fire vestal had perished. Just as Olivia and Agnès pledged to join forces to dispel the spreading evil, the arcanist Victoria unleashed an orb of darkness at them both.

Olivia took the full force of the attack, shielding Agnès. Victoria and Victor then battered us with their magic, and came close to defeating us, but they withdrew after Victoria suffered a seizure. Olivia was beyond saving, and with her dying breath she entreated Agnès to awaken the Water Crystal.

D's Journal: Victoria the Arcanist posted:

A woman of unknown age hailing from Florem. She goes by the name Victoria F. Stein, and is holder of the arcanist asterisk. Despite her infantile looks, she has a viciously cruel personality. She despises the Orthodoxy and the vestals.
Dislikes: The Orthodoxy, vestals

Victoria slipped into Florem together with Victor, and managed to win the Sacred Flower Festival. She followed us to the hidden village to the west, and slew Olivia just after Agnès was reunited with her old friend. We were helpless against her powerful magic, but the onset of a fit forced her to withdraw.

D's Journal: Victor S. Court posted:

A 25-year-old man from Ancheim. Going by the name Victor S. Court, he is the holder of the spiritmaster asterisk. He has been well-versed in white magic since his youth, earning him great respect. He is in charge of the arcanist Victoria's treatment.
Dislikes: Crying children, neglected health, folk remedies

Victor and Victoria slipped into Florem to capture Agnès. They slew the water vestal Olivia at the hidden village to the west, then rained their powerful magic down upon us. When Victoria had a seizure, Victor protected her and carried her away.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 6, 2017

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I love that the game dangles the holders of the Arcanist and Spiritmaster asterisks in front of you only to whisk them away. You want these jobs, you really want these jobs...too bad.

Well, now the seal that was protecting the Water Crystal is down, might as well awaken it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arcanist and Spiritmaster, as you can see, are this game's version of Magus and Devout. It's not a straight upgrade like, say, in Final Fantasy where you go from Black Mage to Black Wizard, though. They both have their own things. That being said, Corpse is Doom, not Death.

Victoria is absurdly bloodthirsty to the point of near idiocy. Or lunacy. Maybe both. At least Victor's still cool.

And shame about Olivia dying. She seemed like a pretty neat person with a rather neat design. I wish there was concept art of the other two vestals, though. I would've loved to see a red and brown version of the Vestal Garb.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I dunno. Victor seems like a professional enabler. Maybe he's not as moustache-twirlingly EVIL as Khamer, Profiteur, or DeRosa; or as openly sociopathic as Ominas, the Venus sisters, or Victoria. He is allowing the little psychopath presumably under his care to do whatever she wants like a spoiled child, though. That seems pretty bad to me.

Both of them seem to have a fox motif (Victoria actually wears a fox tail, and Victor has those white tips on his SS3 hairdo) which I don't remember ever being explained though.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Interesting tidbit in their profiles at the end there: Victor likes Victoria, but the feeling is evidently not mutual. From what we've seen of Victoria I don't think she likes anybody.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That being said, Corpse is Doom, not Death.

I wish there was concept art of the other two vestals, though. I would've loved to see a red and brown version of the Vestal Garb.

Oops. Fixed the spell name, thanks for pointing that out.

Hell, I wasn't even able to dig up any decent images of Olivia in time for this post. With any luck, though, I should have lots more art to show off later on, including more vestal stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Did I miss where they confirmed the Earth Vestal was dead? Olivia told us the Fire Vestal was gone, and then Olivia herself was killed, but I don't remember any information about the Earth Vestal. Maybe Earth is such a boring element everyone forgot about her.