Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I had a lot of trouble actually following this mission, but at least part of that is external stuff. But I did find it harder to evaluate things like who should be mvp with alpha strike. Incidentally I have no idea who to vote for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

RA Rx posted:

I guess for me the granularity of weapons, hit locations, hp and crits in Battletech is just essential, even though I'd like the decisiveness of Alpha Strike occasionally, but I'm glad there's a number of people who feel differently.

And of course, it enables larger scale engagements.

But if it's the map making that is the real time sink, are there any programs we can buy for PTN?
I'd be happy to chip in 10 bucks.

This would be a worthy cause, but I don't know of any software that would tackle PTN's needs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Night10194 posted:

This seems like the real rub, yes.

I enjoy the crazy random headcaps and stuff for the narrative of the fight, but Alpha Strike's streamlining seems essential for the really big battles.

E: Also, it should be noted: Alpha Strike definitely seems to be a much better *game*.

Agree entirely. If they want the core game to be good again they need to be willing to change things up.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If you want to give PTN money, use his patreon.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Hi PTN,

Replacement Wolfhound/Spider chiming in. Alpha Strike seems ideal for mass combat, and is definitely an improvement on Battleforce with individual players.

I wouldn't mind seeing an RCT v Galaxy Alpha combat, just to see the chaos that ensues.

Player MVP is to the Hunchback, and NPC is to that bastard Crusader.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Higher than a couple Battalions each side still takes a metric assload of time and is progressively less worth it. Another local player and I threw reinforced Regiments + Air Wing at each other and got through three turns in seven hours. Granted, by then, the destroyed units pool was something on the order of two battalions each and we had a clear (eventual) winner in sight, but it was still a massive slog.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Getting much beyond company size seems to really take you out of the scale battletech was designed to simulate. They'd probably be more suited to being played out through a more abstracted level of wargame. The kinds with chits and sliders and worrying about encirclement and poo poo.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Battalions are still fine, even a couple if one of them is of infantry. Up to 1500 PV is doable from setup to completion in an afternoon.

Past that just use Battleforce or something.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Alpha strike is a much better game with better mechanics. But battletech's just funner to me.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

chutche2 posted:

Alpha strike is a much better game with better mechanics. But battletech's just funner to me.

Yeah, I agree. I think it ultimately has to do with the narrative distance.

With Battletech, you're in the Command Couch. You know what your instruments are reading, you know the state of your armor, you know if you need to eject ammo.

AlphaStrike abstracts some of these details, so you're farther removed from your Giant Stompy Robot; less 'mech vs. 'mech and more one set of numbers against another set of numbers.

Incidentally, that's pretty much all games are, one set of numbers against another set of numbers. The 'secret sauce' is how well you are able to hide it from the players.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

CourValant posted:

With Battletech, you're in the Command Couch. You know what your instruments are reading, you know the state of your armor, you know if you need to eject ammo.

AlphaStrike abstracts some of these details, so you're farther removed from your Giant Stompy Robot; less 'mech vs. 'mech and more one set of numbers against another set of numbers.

Incidentally, that's pretty much all games are, one set of numbers against another set of numbers. The 'secret sauce' is how well you are able to hide it from the players.

I like this analogy. It would be neat to attempt to run with it in a gameplay session--the two dueling Archers are playing by Battletech rules, and the regiments around them are abstracted away with Alpha Strike. I know that there would be problems with that implementation, but...

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
My group had a potential way to do that in place, where if two Assault 'Mechs ended up within ~24" of each other the fight would "zoom in" on them and play it BattleTech scale, 3 turns per Alpha Strike turn. Distance was the thing that was screwing us up, but I think the best way to do it would probably to have duplicate miniatures or proxies, and have them fight on a 1x2 or 2x2 mapsheet that corresponds to that 24" square or so, and move them basically relatively the same distance as they end up actually moving.

It's still going to be really fugly and weird.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

CourValant posted:

It's the difference between BattleTech and MechCommander, I think.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Having been playing the Battletech Beta for the last few days, I'm not sure which of the two systems I'd compare it to. But then I was never too big on the BT rules anyway.

Great job as always everyone.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's pretty great. I've been posting a bucket of gifs in the actual thread (currently titled MechsCOM: Enemy Unsteady, in honor of a particularly bad derail) but I could crosspost for the lazy.

I think it can pretty comfortably straddle the line of "this is you personally lining up the shot and ruining that fuckin' Trebuchet's entire day" and "this is you commanding your squad of stompy robots" ...because it almost gets there now, it just needs some polish to sell it. Mechanically, this thread has prepared me for it kind of incredibly well? It's not exactly the same, of course, but PTN's approach of "TT to play-by-internet where I discard bullshit" has a lot of parallels to HBS' approach of "TT to videogame where we discard the bullshit"

Anyway about Alpha Strike vs BT rules, one thing I noticed is that voting MVP is harder. Previously it was pretty easy - someone pulls off some obscene move (or fails horribly) due to dice, and it's memorable and people vote for it. In this, the different level of abstraction makes it harder to judge.

like walking up and crit headshotting a mech on turn 1 gets attention, Alpha Strike-style killing it on turn 1 is ... less spectacular, even though it's basically the same thing.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 7, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
DFAs and Charges are significantly easier to pull off in Alpha Strike; usually in home games the Spider that plows into an Atlas hard enough to disintegrate both of them in a shower of metal confetti (note: slight exaggeration, Spiders doing that only do 4 damage against the rear arc, but the guaranteed crit did that once) gets the MVP vote.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I need to change the thread title to "Let's All Play X-Com and rewrite Inner Sphere History" by the way. Expect that change in a few days.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

PoptartsNinja posted:

I need to change the thread title to "Let's All Play X-Com and rewrite Inner Sphere History" by the way. Expect that change in a few days.

yesssssss

pleaze don't kill uncle Amaris...

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

RA Rx posted:

yesssssss

pleaze don't kill uncle Amaris...

This but do actually kill him. And every Amaris.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

evilmiera posted:

I hope Uncle Stevie has jump torpedoes on a dead man's switch targeting all the haters who are wishing death on him. :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Zaodai posted:

I hope Uncle Stevie has jump torpedoes on a dead man's switch targeting all the haters who are wishing death on him. :colbert:

That's no Amaris... That's a space station! :magical:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've been rocking this crossover even since I named a guy Scott "Archon" Steiner and let him kill aliens with a laser sword

GIMME A FUCKIN MIC

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

evilmiera posted:

If the Demon Hawks are all murdered by Clan headhunters I would punch through my laptop screen. Then I'd buy another one and keep reading.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Scintilla posted:

If the Demon Hawks are all murdered by Clan headhunters I would punch through my laptop screen. Then I'd buy another one and keep reading.
See? Now you have to do it PTN, it is the perfect plot twist. We need a new Kentares massacre event to reinvigorate the war.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 9, 2017

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

evilmiera posted:

See? Now you have to do it PTN, it is the perfect plot twist. We need a new Me tares massacre event to reinvigorate the war.

Autocorrect problems?

Never saw BattleTech as X-Com before, but I guess the new game's beta contributed to that and now I can't get it out of my head...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Are you sure it wasn't the ten pages of bad-faith argument that HBS BattleTech was an X-Com ripoff because you weren't able to fight 1v4 and win?

'Cause I have a word to describe any `Mech fighting without support. And that word is "dead."

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Are you sure it wasn't the ten pages of bad-faith argument that HBS BattleTech was an X-Com ripoff because you weren't able to fight 1v4 and win?

'Cause I have a word to describe any `Mech fighting without support. And that word is "dead."

I haven't been to the thread in Games, so the only exposure I've had to the BT/X-Com comparisons is in this thread. If that's the case over there, then Yikes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

"But I could do it in MechWarrior 3, all you had to do was shoot all your guns into the enemy leg!"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

GhostStalker posted:

I haven't been to the thread in Games, so the only exposure I've had to the BT/X-Com comparisons is in this thread. If that's the case over there, then Yikes.

Yeah, you were fortunate to miss the derail. One guy just went on a long rambling argument about how the new Battletech game is literally a straight copy of the combat out of XCOM. Such gems include "Why do you control 4 mechs? Because XCOM starts you with four guys." and the fact that the movement system is ripped straight from XCOM wholesale. Pilots having skills? He acknowledges that pilot skills exist in the Battletech source book, but that they're only being used because there are character classes in XCOM.

Also simultaneously argues that the game is lovely XCOM, but that the game doesn't classify mechs into "hard" classification roles like XCOM, so it's awful for not being ENOUGH like XCOM.

It would have been hilarious, if not for it being so overwhelmingly sad.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It was the best troll I've seen in a while, so it was pretty hilarious.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I was dumb enough to let that contradiction go unnoticed in the morass of bullshit, I'm glad I didn't feed the troll that time.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Player MVP: The little Scarabus that could.

OpFor MVP: The bigass Crusader that did.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ironically, I wasn't reading that thread because I was playing xcom2.

Imagine my surprise that the backer beta was out!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

Autocorrect problems?

Never saw BattleTech as X-Com before, but I guess the new game's beta contributed to that and now I can't get it out of my head...

Yeah, my phone sometimes decides to make typing and showing what I wrote at the same time be nearly impossible. I blame Comstar, which incidentally my phone corrected to Comcast.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

Good trolling is like performance art. Spending literal hours of your life roleplaying a moron by chaining together 500 word posts isn't really the same thing.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, my phone sometimes decides to make typing and showing what I wrote at the same time be nearly impossible. I blame Comstar, which incidentally my phone corrected to Comcast.

If you don't think the only telecom provider that would be available to us in a post-technological future where an evil cult controls all communications and murders everyone who tries to better humanity would be Comcast, then I don't know what to tell you. Blake be praised, it's Comcastic!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Sup I'm getting caught up with the thread.

So last mission, what was the official deal with that cracked out Black Marauder.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Viva Miriya posted:

Sup I'm getting caught up with the thread.

So last mission, what was the official deal with that cracked out Black Marauder.

Probably some ancient ComStar / Rim Worlds experimental prototype. We know it had no gyro, which means it's got an Interface Cockpit, which is a fancy piece of kit that literally connects a pilot to the mech via brain implants which also have the nasty side effect of driving said pilot insane after a few missions.

Basically it's what happens when science goes too far.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Probably some ancient ComStar / Rim Worlds experimental prototype. We know it had no gyro, which means it's got an Interface Cockpit, which is a fancy piece of kit that literally connects a pilot to the mech via brain implants which also have the nasty side effect of driving said pilot insane after a few missions.

Basically it's what happens when science goes too far.

I think you mean 'not far enough', since the side effect wasn't worked out.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I mean, if the mech could actually eat people and had basically magic powers, I wouldn't rule out it actually having some kind of weird magic built in. Since it's not the Canon universe, PTN can write in whatever he wants, and there being some weird, unexplained stuff that is Event Horizon-esque wouldn't get the grogs all up in arms like it would if it were straight official canon.

I hope we never find out what the deal is with the black marauder, because it was nicer as a one shot enemy and I sure don't want to run into more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The idea was that it's piloted by an AI, and that its reactor needed water to keep running because the failsafe to keep the insane AI from running amok was fuel starvation (fusion reactors in battletech universe run on water).

So it "ate" a person to extract its water. This is of course ridiculous and impossible, but that's par for the course with Battletech.

• Locked thread