Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Plus Guilliman is expensive.

That's what I'm saying there is a logical and fair points creep for these units that fulfill the same role just slightly better in each increment.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

So my bro got me a surprise Lord of Change for my birthday. I just had to paint it ASAP.

*fancy ~SPINZAM~ photo with drag-able 360*
https://spinzam.com/shot/?idx=26136

This dude is huge. His base is a 4" circle.

Funnily enough I had recently listened to Ep9 of the badcast where SRM and Sexcannon talk about how they think this model is cool but a nightmare to paint. I was a little worried at first but I followed Duncan's guide best I could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThM1HTZgsN8

I ended up with a lot of mistakes but I am really happy with the results.

Long story short: Dry Brushing, Washes and the new GW Metallics are your friend... Especially on big demon models.

Man this guy looks great!

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
One thing I learned about trying to make AoS work seems like it applies to 8th edition 40k as well:

List building for kill points in a vacuum can lead to some crazy results that don't actually work on the table when you start doing scenarios and objectives.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
The yearly major tournament around here is doing 8th edition at 1650 and I was going to do 'Nids to start, but I decided to go Khorne. I don't have any Blood Tithe (yet), but I think I've found something that could be rather entertaining:
code:
HQ  1 Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury - 340pts
HQ  1 Karanak - 116pts
T  20 Bloodletters - 215pts
E  20 Khorne Berserkers - 348pts
E   5 Possessed - 120pts
FA 10 Khorne Fleshhounds - 200pts
FA  3 Chaos Bikers - 138pts
HS  1 Maulerfiend - 173pts

Command Points: 3
I don't know how much staying power it'll have, but maaaaan it'll be fun and killy! Bloodthirsters look absolutely terrifying, and Bloodletters are dirt cheap for what they are.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
That Lord of Change looks great

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I really wish they gave Chaos Space Marines something less situational than the current army-wide special rule because you're not always going to fight Imperials and the loss of marks just makes regular troops boring as gently caress

Also: that Slaanesh icon just gives you more of a bonus against Imperial armies? That's seriously the best thing they could think of, instead of giving you extra speed or more attacks or whatever?

I love Chaos and will always play Chaos and Chaos feels pretty balanced so far this edition but it is bland as gently caress and I really want to see them improve things with the actual codex

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

So my bro got me a surprise Lord of Change for my birthday. I just had to paint it ASAP.

*fancy ~SPINZAM~ photo with drag-able 360*
https://spinzam.com/shot/?idx=26136

This dude is huge. His base is a 4" circle.

Funnily enough I had recently listened to Ep9 of the badcast where SRM and Sexcannon talk about how they think this model is cool but a nightmare to paint. I was a little worried at first but I followed Duncan's guide best I could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThM1HTZgsN8

I ended up with a lot of mistakes but I am really happy with the results.

Long story short: Dry Brushing, Washes and the new GW Metallics are your friend... Especially on big demon models.

Holy poo poo dude.

Yeah I have found if you just follow what he does literally and have a lot of patience you can make some great paint jobs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

I really wish they gave Chaos Space Marines something less situational than the current army-wide special rule because you're not always going to fight Imperials and the loss of marks just makes regular troops boring as gently caress

Also: that Slaanesh icon just gives you more of a bonus against Imperial armies? That's seriously the best thing they could think of, instead of giving you extra speed or more attacks or whatever?

I love Chaos and will always play Chaos and Chaos feels pretty balanced so far this edition but it is bland as gently caress and I really want to see them improve things with the actual codex

I'm with you goose willis :hf:

Luckily I'm not quite completely sworn to the chaos gods as you are, so I'm gonna focus on Tyranids and GSC :cthulhu: until we get some proper Chaos options again

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Chaos Space Marines need to be more than Vanilla Marines With Worse Equipment

They are the only faction that can justifiably march big hulking dudes in sick black and gold power armor with spikes on it while some multi-colored wizard bro flies by him on a disk shooting mind bullets everywhere and they're backed up by their good old friendly daemon prince who has gigantic dicks for hands and is unable to eat or consume any kind of food or beverage as a result of it and this existential angst fuels him into battle frenzy in honor of the Dark Gods

Chaos Space Marines need to be more than Vanilla Marines With Worse Rules

They are the only faction that can run entire armies dedicated to one of the Dark Gods or all of the Dark Gods or none of the Dark Gods and they have tremendous visual diversity as a result of it and due to their mixed heritage and the taint of Chaos you can pretty much justify any sick conversion you have in mind and they're arguably even more conversion-friendly than Orks and Tyranids combined because you can explore the realms of mechanical and/or organic and/or daemonic and you can have some weird cool flavor like your Chaos Lord watching over his marines who have gone totally insane in the warp and they spend their entire existence trying to use the Obliterator Virus to make autoguns and lascannons sprout out of their crotches and the Chaos Lord can do nothing more than weep for the plight of his poor retarded people

Chaos Space Marines need to be more than Vanilla Marines Punching Bags

Make Chaos Great Again

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Considering we don't even get ATSKNF we should get something major to make up for that. Like in return for less morale, Chaos Marines get higher strength across the board or something. Unholy strength.

Its sad though that all the Chaos Legions put together get about as much attention by GW as a single faction of Loyalists does. Can you imagine if Death Guard and Thousand Sons had supplements on the level of Space Wolves and Grey Knights?

Also introduce another Chaos ally. Dark Mechanicus or Cult Guard or stuff like that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You ain't getting poo poo for chaos until after you dorks buy a ton of bigly Marines to convert to Chaos.
You know ya'll do it. They know you will do it, so just do it.
After you purchase enough crap they will get around to making BIGLY BRED Dae-MARINES with new improved rules making them slightly better than last seasons Bigly Marine release.
Then you will buy them all over again to replace your poorly made conversions with the new hotness (possessed will still suck).
And you will be happy.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I've always hated Chaos and don't particularly enjoy their playstyle in almost any format (fantasy, blood bowl, 40k, etc...) but Traitor Guard and Daemons are cool as poo poo and need more love always and if Chaos support is the price I have to pay then so be it.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

You know what I'm gonna do with those Big Marines with their Big Ultramarines Logo?

Terrain.

PIECES.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gently caress they didn't make them generic? Arghhhh
Better than Dark Angel bull poo poo all over the DV set.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

As he posted earlier in the thread TwingeCrag and I played a really solid first game of 8th edition today. I've got some thoughts of my own.

Firstly, while they may be missing a little bit of their flavor from 7th they are infinitely more fun to play now. My Sanguinary Guard were used to counter deepstrike against some Cataphracii pattern Terminators and after wiping them out proceeded to rampage up the table killing everything in their path.

For Space Marines at least characters are now going to be absolutely key. Overcharged plasma is incredibly nasty and if you have a character providing rerolls the risk is minimal. Assault units the rely on buffs from a nearby character provide a really interesting dynamic- There's a very real chance that on the first turn on combat you won't be able to get both the character and the unit into combat, meaning for a longer charge you'll be missing out on crucial buffs.

Did I mention that plasma is seriously nasty now? My stormraven lost 10 of its 14 wounds to Sternguard combi plasmas in a single round of shooting and only survived due to some lucky saves. I can only imagine what a terror Hellblasters are going to be.

There's definitely some funkyness to some of the points costs. On my Sanguinary Guard their default Angelus Bolter (12" Assault 2 S4 AP-1) is 9 point while a plasma pistol with the same range is only 7. It's sort of a no-brainer.

Burying tough units with 2+ armor beneath a ton of dice seems less viable now due to most of it having 2 or more wounds which is a really nice change. It's very important to use the right weapon on the right target.

Overall a highly enjoyable introduction to the new edition. I look forward to more to come.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The biglys are absolutely generic.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Pretty sure they're generic, because I THINK it includes transfers for a few different chapters.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Whew! That would be great.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

goose willis posted:

Everyone is bland man, deal with it.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Nurgle is gonna be good and cool, and I am sure Tzeentch will get a book shortly. I mean they just need to release a book for them since they already have so many kits

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
We have them in the store and the pads are all blank. No chapter markings anywhere.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Black_Nexus posted:

Nurgle is gonna be good and cool, and I am sure Tzeentch will get a book shortly. I mean they just need to release a book for them since they already have so many kits

They just got a book, so it'll be ~4 years probably

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Last call on that Games Day 1991 marine. I've gotta raise a gently caress ton of money asap or I'm royally hosed. If not it's going on eBay for way too much.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kilo147 posted:

Last call on that Games Day 1991 marine. I've gotta raise a gently caress ton of money asap or I'm royally hosed. If not it's going on eBay for way too much.

Put it on eBay man. Go raise money.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

S.J. posted:

They just got a book, so it'll be ~4 years probably

I think all bets are off in that respect since armies cant just limp on last edition's codex like GW's usual MO.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Thoughts on drop pods: use them only if you absolutely need to deliver something within rapid fire range. 105 points is quite a lot but being able to put a unit EXACTLY where you need it is pretty powerful. Sternguard are still gonna use these, but I am convinced that a razorback is going to be better value for your average tactical squad.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think all bets are off in that respect since armies cant just limp on last edition's codex like GW's usual MO.

How long did it take for Tyranids to get a 3e codex?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

S.J. posted:

How long did it take for Tyranids to get a 3e codex?

Three years if I recall correctly.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TwingeCrag posted:

Thoughts on drop pods: use them only if you absolutely need to deliver something within rapid fire range. 105 points is quite a lot but being able to put a unit EXACTLY where you need it is pretty powerful. Sternguard are still gonna use these, but I am convinced that a razorback is going to be better value for your average tactical squad.

I mean, I feel like if "absolutely need to deliver something within rapid fire range" is your goal, we have inceptors. Drop them down somewhere and shoot some poo poo up. I mean yeah if your gameplan is having 10 sternguard show up at a place with combi plasmas in a drop pod for like 400 points you can go with that.

I'd rather put sternguard into a razorback for the extra firepower, because the TL assault cannon one is nuts and still costs less than a drop pod.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

chutche2 posted:

I mean yeah if your gameplan is having 10 sternguard show up at a place with combi plasmas in a drop pod for like 400 points you can go with that.

Pretty much, yeah. I haven't found anything else worth drop podding yet.

Razorbacks with the assault cannons are definitely better in most circumstances, I would totally agree. But when you absolutely need to delete something with no chance of it being intercepted, I'm all about the plasmapod.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
So looking through the step by step of resolving shooting, it looks like you have to specify which model you're saving for before you roll? That seems like it'd take more time to roll individually.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

So looking through the step by step of resolving shooting, it looks like you have to specify which model you're saving for before you roll? That seems like it'd take more time to roll individually.

As with 7th, you can always "fast dice" stuff together if it's not going to make a difference. There are a lot less opportunities for it to make a difference in 8th too, although there are still some.

One I've been wondering about, if I only have a single guy sticking out from behind a building can I just allocate a wound to him and stop the pain? I know you can allocate wounds to models out of range/line of sight but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to count all the fast dice that were rolled at once to wound right? Technically you fire one at a time?

EDIT: Nope, it looks like you just see the whole unit when you target it, and line of sight doesn't matter after that. It's really loving hard to get across the map now.

Salynne fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 6, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like it. If you want a quick guide on Ork skin here's what I use:

1. Base coat with Knarloc Green WAAAGH! Flesh
2. Coat with Snot Green VGC Sick Green
3. Highlight with Goblin Green VGC Goblin Green
4. Highlight with Goblin/Scorpion Green (50/50) VGC Goblin Green / VGC Scorpy Green (50/50)
5. Wash with Thraka Green AP Green Tone Ink
6. Line the crevices with a mix of Dark Green VGC Dark Green Ink and Future Floor Wax

Great, I forgot how old my models are.

Pretty much what I did for my last set, except I used a sepia and black ink wash made with daler rowney acrylics so the boyz would look grubby instead of green ink.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

goose willis posted:

Chaos Space Marines need to be more than Vanilla Marines With Worse Equipment

They are the only faction that can justifiably march big hulking dudes in sick black and gold power armor with spikes on it while some multi-colored wizard bro flies by him on a disk shooting mind bullets everywhere and they're backed up by their good old friendly daemon prince who has gigantic dicks for hands and is unable to eat or consume any kind of food or beverage as a result of it and this existential angst fuels him into battle frenzy in honor of the Dark Gods

Chaos Space Marines need to be more than Vanilla Marines With Worse Rules

They are the only faction that can run entire armies dedicated to one of the Dark Gods or all of the Dark Gods or none of the Dark Gods and they have tremendous visual diversity as a result of it and due to their mixed heritage and the taint of Chaos you can pretty much justify any sick conversion you have in mind and they're arguably even more conversion-friendly than Orks and Tyranids combined because you can explore the realms of mechanical and/or organic and/or daemonic and you can have some weird cool flavor like your Chaos Lord watching over his marines who have gone totally insane in the warp and they spend their entire existence trying to use the Obliterator Virus to make autoguns and lascannons sprout out of their crotches and the Chaos Lord can do nothing more than weep for the plight of his poor retarded people

Chaos Space Marines need to be more than Vanilla Marines Punching Bags

Make Chaos Great Again

Hello, BULBASAUR from 4th edition

it never gets better

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Don't loving jinx it dude

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fluff Question: What's with the bad moon masks from a lot of JB stuff?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Professor Shark posted:

Fluff Question: What's with the bad moon masks from a lot of JB stuff?

Moon masks are kicking rad, is what. (They're big in venetian masquerade attire.)

Edit: This is a Chaos familiar btw.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Pendent posted:

As he posted earlier in the thread TwingeCrag and I played a really solid first game of 8th edition today. I've got some thoughts of my own.

Overall a highly enjoyable introduction to the new edition. I look forward to more to come.

TwingeCrag posted:

My game with Pendent went just swimmingly.

Seems like everyone is loving this new stuff. Completely agree that the rules changes seem mostly well thought out, new deep strike is terrific, shooting/assault seem more dynamic in how they balance each other.

I am playing again today - going to take an Eversor this time. :getin:

Probably also some flamers as well - really could have used them last game. :flame:

Wish Marbo were still around though. :madmax:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Primaris side of the box comes with a transfer sheet that has Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Dark Angels and I think Imperial Fists, although I might be wrong about the Imperial Fists.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Any Canadian hams (Ontario preferred) planning on buying the box set and only want the big marines? I like Nurgle and hate money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

overthefalls posted:

The yearly major tournament around here is doing 8th edition at 1650 and I was going to do 'Nids to start, but I decided to go Khorne. I don't have any Blood Tithe (yet), but I think I've found something that could be rather entertaining:
code:
HQ  1 Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury - 340pts
HQ  1 Karanak - 116pts
T  20 Bloodletters - 215pts
E  20 Khorne Berserkers - 348pts
E   5 Possessed - 120pts
FA 10 Khorne Fleshhounds - 200pts
FA  3 Chaos Bikers - 138pts
HS  1 Maulerfiend - 173pts

Command Points: 3
I don't know how much staying power it'll have, but maaaaan it'll be fun and killy! Bloodthirsters look absolutely terrifying, and Bloodletters are dirt cheap for what they are.

If you get one more troops in there you can have a battalion and get six command points. I don't think the Possessed aren't doing much that the Berzerkers and Bloodletters aren't doing, so maybe start there. I also don't think three bikers is going to do much; they're tough but lack the firepower to do anything really significant. I also think you're better off maxing those troop units whenever you can; for example taking 30 Bloodletters to maximize your chances of maintaining that +1 to hit. So I'd pay 305 for 30 Bloodletters with a Daemonic Icon and Instrument of Chaos. World Eaters get Khorne Berzerkers as Troops.

Just thinking things over I might try something like this:

HQ Skarbrand - 380
HQ Herald of Khorne - 55
T 30 Bloodletters w/ Daemonic Icon & Instrument of Chaos - 305
T 30 Bloodletters w/ Daemonic Icon & Instrument of Chaos - 305
T 20 Khorne Berzerkers w/ Icon of Wrath, Champion w/ 2 Lightning Claws - 343
FA 13 Khorne Fleshhounds - 200pts

Total: 1648

You could move things around a bit and get more Fleshhounds, but based on my reading of the rules this list would be awesome. The Bloodletters are running everywhere moving 8" to 14" if not charging and when you do get into combat Skarbrand forces everywhere to stay there. That's loving terrifying.

• Locked thread