Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

i need some help friends

i just got some really great weed and feel like getting a new game, so far i've got:

y's origins (i've never played y's before except the terrible Sierra port of 3)
injustice 2
little king's story
prey
friday the 13th because it sounds really interesting but i'm afraid that maybe nobody is playing it
????????

Ys Origin is the best game on that list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

I played the Bouncer today. Unfairly maligned game IMO.

It's was Square's first PS2 game so people expected more than a fairly short beat 'em up and reacted like people do

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Sakurazuka posted:

Over Prey? Maybe I should finally try Ys

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sakurazuka posted:

to me, it's little king's story. yatta

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I got stuck on the fat boss (I think it was the second one) in Little King's Story. But having compared what I did play of that to Ys Origin, it's Ys Origin without a second thought.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you also hate tropical freeze so you can't be trusted

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Tropical Freeze I just think it's way too hard for its own good more often than not, especially parts that felt very much designed to force you to have a partner which meant as soon as you died (which obviously was going to happen) it'd get 100x times harder.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I survived the night but didn't get any sleep. I think I've purged everything from my body and now have a legitimate sick day. I'm mostly confined to the bed with the forums, a book, and a Vita with like 50 games on it. Maybe I'll try more Little King Story but I'll probably just flick through the pages of games without ever deciding on anything.

The book is Republic of Thieves and it opens with the main character dying of poison. Felt apt at 4am when I was expelling macaroni through my sinuses.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is it the Vita Little King's Story? I think that one is supposed to be bad

I played it on Wii and it was very good

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

I played the Bouncer today. Unfairly maligned game IMO.

It's not bad but it's kinda nothing.

I stopped when I got to a boss fight and it still didn't feel like I was doing anything other than mashing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Captain Invictus posted:

The one thing I know about the injustice comic is green arrow died in the injustice universe, and the one currently there was sucked into it from another universe. Except the injustice GA was apparently a billionaire Bruce Wayne type, married to black canary, and has a newborn child with her. So he just kinda inherits that poo poo lol

That's typically been Green Arrow's deal. Not the confusing dimensional death part, the other part.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All comic book plots are inherently absurd, but the only ones that really annoy me are those that demand to be taken with the utmost sincerity.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

Is it the Vita Little King's Story? I think that one is supposed to be bad

I played it on Wii and it was very good

The Vita game isn't bad from a gameplay point of view but from a technical one it's almost literally unplayable after a certain amount of time as the framerate drops to a constant 5 fps

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

It's not bad but it's kinda nothing.

I stopped when I got to a boss fight and it still didn't feel like I was doing anything other than mashing.

You can unlock new moves that let you do rudimentary combos but I beat the entire game with the same two moves in 70 minutes of in game time. It's simple and stupid but it's cool seeing the earliest kernel of what square was going to wind up doing with the PS2 hardware. It's drat near a downright scam as a full price product though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Blackfyre posted:

Yeah, aside from loving Operation Flashpoint many years ago I've not been an arma lover. I enjoyed some of the stories etc from DayZ but it was laborious to play (similar to my thoughts on EVE).

Had a quick look online and many people say it's fun to play and a way better game than DayZ etc but then there was an article on RPS basically saying 'nope it's still bad like DayZ is for this writer, and the players suck'. Wondered if people cared here since there was no thread I could see and it might be cool in teams of 2/3.

Battlegrounds owns. Also you should check again because there is a thread and it's almost always on page 1 because people on this forum love that game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

What was the name of that beatemup game for PS2 where you would do all kinds of fancy moves just by using the analog stick.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

What was the name of that beatemup game for PS2 where you would do all kinds of fancy moves just by using the analog stick.

There's a couple I can think of, Rise to Honor and Death by Degrees, the former a Jet Li game and the latter a Tekken spinoff.

Also OG Monster Hunter used the right stick for attacks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think I was remembering the Jet Li game, cool. Wonder if it's any good now.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't think it was good to begin with but I'm also going off half-remembered memories of a demo I played more than a decade ago.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanna play Death By Degrees

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Blackfyre posted:

Yeah, aside from loving Operation Flashpoint many years ago I've not been an arma lover. I enjoyed some of the stories etc from DayZ but it was laborious to play (similar to my thoughts on EVE).

Had a quick look online and many people say it's fun to play and a way better game than DayZ etc but then there was an article on RPS basically saying 'nope it's still bad like DayZ is for this writer, and the players suck'. Wondered if people cared here since there was no thread I could see and it might be cool in teams of 2/3.

Keep in mind that RPS writers are legendary for being bad at videogames and that probably colors their review of a multiplayer game. Im reminded of the guy who wrote the Blood and Wine review who though mutagens were bugged because he didnt know how to use them lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

In Training posted:

I wanna play Death By Degrees

Death by Degrees has taken on an almost mythic place in my gaming history. I remember it coming out and reading about it in gaming mags and thinking it looked so badass. Unfortunately, I didn't have a PS2 so I never got to play it. Although maybe that's a good thing, since it was apparently kind of crap.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

All comic book plots are inherently absurd, but the only ones that really annoy me are those that demand to be taken with the utmost sincerity.

comic books baffle me because I cant think of any artistic medium that comes even close to the way comics continually retread the same stories and characters over and over again. Like if movies were like comic books we would all be awaiting the release of Citizen Kane 17: Crisis of the Infinite Kanes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The pokemon announcement was Pokken Tournament DX for the Switch.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cool, Pokken was good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, and there were characters that only came to arcade in Japan so this makes more sense than releasing a paid update for a version no one will probably ever play again.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

babypolis posted:

Keep in mind that RPS writers are legendary for being bad at videogames and that probably colors their review of a multiplayer game. Im reminded of the guy who wrote the Blood and Wine review who though mutagens were bugged because he didnt know how to use them lol

Oh man I'm out of touch, thought RPS was meant to be ok. I don't often read it anymore as I found there were a lot of fluff pieces I wasn't interested in so generally just see articles when looking up info on a specific game.

Welp guess I might have to use this voucher then to give it a punt!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Get well soon Lawful Waffle!! :)

In Training posted:

Yeah, and there were characters that only came to arcade in Japan so this makes more sense than releasing a paid update for a version no one will probably ever play again.

What characters were Japanese arcade exclusive?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think it's the Polygon dudes who are known for being bad at video games, not RPS.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if this games a pokken i'm doing coke to dokken

what's pokken

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

if this games a pokken i'm doing coke to dokken

what's pokken

Tekken with Pokemon, made by Namco.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Get well soon Lawful Waffle!! :)

What characters were Japanese arcade exclusive?

Empoleon, Darkrai, Scizor I believe. I havent kept up with Pokken, Ive never played it. I was just aware of it through osmosis

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon coming out November 17th, too. It's very unclear what the games actually are, though. DLC? Totally new releases? It's meant to be an "alternate story" to Sun and Moon.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's the Polygon dudes who are known for being bad at video games, not RPS.

Im half assuming it's both. I know polygon have famously bad first looks etc but I kinda get the impression the guys behind RPS now spend more time thinking about games than playing them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Red Bones posted:

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon coming out November 17th, too. It's very unclear what the games actually are, though. DLC? Totally new releases? It's meant to be an "alternate story" to Sun and Moon.

Im assuming they're basically like Black and White 2.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i forgot ultra beasts were a thing at first but ultra sun moon makes more sense now

Serf
May 5, 2011

I've yet to see a journalist who was good at a videogame in the sense that we've come to expect from streamers and youtube and whatnot. But I reckon they don't really need to be.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl_p4m8tA_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1laPqTLHvlw

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

this origami samurai is a foot tall and he's too cute !!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that is not an origami samurai, rather it is a drawing of an origami samurai

• Locked thread