Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

leftist heap posted:

Bail out home owners by forcing them to sell their homes to renters for a quarter on the dollar.

Smh if you think that is what a bailout is for

to save the banks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
By the way remember how smug a bunch of you were about selling all your Canadian bank stock?

Lmao

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Well poo poo, time to mortgage to the hilt and reap that sweet, sweet bailout money.l!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
if you want to get rich quick just do the opposite of whatever goons think you should do at any given time

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

large hands posted:

if you want to get rich quick just do the opposite of whatever goons think you should do at any given time

People who didn't buy a house back in 2013 because of this thread are exhibit A of this pearl of wisdom.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I actually almost did buy a house a couple years ago, then didn't really find anything in my price range that I liked at the time, signed a new lease and went "well I'll look next year" and meanwhile prices went up 30% lol FML.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I didn't buy a house in 2013 because I didn't have $100k in 2013. Still don't. What a dummy! :doh:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THC posted:

I didn't buy a house in 2013 because I didn't have $100k in 2013. Still don't. What a dummy! :doh:

Silly THC, you could still get a 0-down loan around then!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

large hands posted:

That idiot couple in Toronto that hired a hobo to renovate their entire house owns $2 million dollars or more worth of property right now.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
In 2014 I was still trying to save 20% down. When I saw I was being outpaced in Toronto I gave up and I bought a house in Hamilton instead (with 20% down). I came out ahead but not 33 goddamn percent year over year like I could have if I'd just leveraged to the hilt in Toronto.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm really curious what the end of this stupid housing bubble is going to look like. At this point I highly doubt the government is going to just go 'lol welp' and not step in to protect home owners, it's just a matter of how.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

HookShot posted:

I actually almost did buy a house a couple years ago, then didn't really find anything in my price range that I liked at the time, signed a new lease and went "well I'll look next year" and meanwhile prices went up 30% lol FML.

i thought my in laws were crazy buying in Whistler right before the Olympics lol.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Well if it's anything like what you saw in 2009, the government will bail out the banks, maybe even nationalize a couple of them, engage in a new regime of unconventional quantitative easing which would probably include buying up ETFs like the Bank of Japan is currently doing. Then you'll see the government implement macroprudential measures that will make it easier to borrow money to buy houses at the cost of back breaking austerity cuts to social programs, education and healthcare. Because if there's one thing we all should understand about Canadian politicians, it's that they're dumb as gently caress and have no loving backbone

I'll be voting for the scheer tories just to make this prophecy as painfully real as possible tyvm

gently caress y'all

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

large hands posted:

i thought my in laws were crazy buying in Whistler right before the Olympics lol.

They kind of were, it crashed really badly immediately after that, but now has gone back up to pre-Olympic prices.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

HookShot posted:

They kind of were, it crashed really badly immediately after that, but now has gone back up to pre-Olympic prices.

yeah i remember that, actually. seemed at the time like Whistler was the first sign of the coming housing crash lol

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

Well if it's anything like what you saw in 2009, the government will bail out the banks, maybe even nationalize a couple of them, engage in a new regime of unconventional quantitative easing which would probably include buying up ETFs like the Bank of Japan is currently doing. Then you'll see the government implement macroprudential measures that will make it easier to borrow money to buy houses at the cost of back breaking austerity cuts to social programs, education and healthcare. Because if there's one thing we all should understand about Canadian politicians, it's that they're dumb as gently caress and have no loving backbone

I'll be voting for the scheer tories just to make this prophecy as painfully real as possible tyvm

gently caress y'all

I'm pricing in rate increases by the BoC because our ponzi real estate economy is heating up, also rip and ship it :shrug:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

In order for homeowners to be bailed out the Canadian government is now allowing homeowners to place a mortgage on their own children in order to get more funds from the banks.

Failure to pay results in the children becoming property of the banks

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

EvilJoven posted:

At this point I highly doubt the government is going to just go 'lol welp' and not step in to protect home owners, it's just a matter of how.

I'm really not convinced this is how it will go down when the bubble bursts. Whatever arguments you could make in favour of the Liberals (or whoever) bailing out owners could have been made about the Dems in 2008/2009, and that's obviously not how things went down south. Why would it be different here? Why wouldn't they just bail out the banks and rely on a combination of big donors and FPTP to ensure their continued electoral success?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well, the dems did do that, and then the US electorate went gently caress YOU DEMS and elected Trump.

So maybe the LPC won't do that up here.

But ya you're probably right.

EDIT: Especially since the crash happened and then they gave Barack a second term.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 5, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We're talking about bailing out mortgage holders here, not all home owners, right?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why not both

Homeownership is a proven cornerstone of building a strong community of upstanding citizens. Tower blocks full of rental dalits breed crime and discord

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How would they bail out homeowners who didn't have mortgages? Just write them a cheque for 10% of their house's assessed value?

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

stop trying to make "rental dalits" happen it's not going to happen

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Sure. Or when they sell their house, let them write off the capital gains loss.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

ductonius posted:

stop trying to make "rental dalits" happen it's not going to happen

Shut up dalit

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

quote:

Average price drop during May: – 6.2%
Total sales drop in GTA during May: – 12%
Drop in sales year/year: – 20.3%
Average price: $863,910
Average detached house one-month price drop: –$64,221
Decline year/year in detached sales: –26%
Average price reduction (all properties) over one month: –$56,881
One-month increase in new listings: 19.4%
Increase in active listings year/year: 43%
Note: By the way, don’t look for most of the statistics above in the official realtor news release. Folks who have access to detailed TREB numbers – say they have to call the director of research to find out what the actual drop was in average prices over a single 31-day period. “It was buried in the bottom corner of page 27,” says one realtor named Ron.

How the gently caress are Torontonians so much less dumb than Vancouverites?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

HookShot posted:

Because they don't live in the greatest place on earth obv.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

HookShot posted:

Harsher winters kill off the weakest of the population, unlike Vancouver.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It won't last. Foreign buyers taxes are useless at this rate. Once the shock has written off or fuerdai have figured out how to get around it prices will resume rising. Torontonians are dumb af

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mojo1701a posted:

Harsher winters kill off the weakest of the population, unlike Vancouver.

If this were true the crackhouse people wouldn't be richer than all of us.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
By the way CI in case you missed it: http://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Subjunctive posted:

We're talking about bailing out mortgage holders here, not all home owners, right?

bailing out mortgage holders is bailing out all home owners by propping up sky high valuations. if they let mortgage holders get hosed house prices will crater

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

HookShot posted:

China has less direct control over the various governments in Ontario.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the talent deficit posted:

bailing out mortgage holders is bailing out all home owners by propping up sky high valuations. if they let mortgage holders get hosed house prices will crater

That only matters if/when you sell, really.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Nice. If you're offshore you get access to housing a week before locals. The pre-sales for Joyce development open for pre-sales June in 16th in Asia and June 24th in Vancouver.

https://twitter.com/stevesaretsky/status/871976044286398466

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lmao they aren't even hiding who their target market is.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Lmao they aren't even hiding who their target market is.

They're just ensuring any leftover scraps will be given to the hungry.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/stevesaretsky/status/871835487387996160

loving lol

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If the federal government does any kind of homeowner bail out it will probably be using CMHC money going directly to banks to reduce risky mortgages, but allow those people to renegotiate at the lower mortgage value. No way the government would just transfer money to the people, you've got to get the banks their money! After all they followed all the rules right?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I don't care if the banks or the homeowners get hosed, I just don't want to get hosed. I'm gonna get hosed.